PDA

View Full Version : Bont Shoe sizing

cmbicycles
03-28-2016, 09:26 PM
I have had issues with my cycling shoes being too narrow in the toe box as my feet are kind of squarish in shape. I feel most comfortable in my Altra Instinct running shoes, as they seem to have a shape that matches my foot.

Bont seems similar to the Altra so I went onto Bont's website (dont have a local dealer) to look at their sizing. By their calculator I would be a 46.5, but all my other cycling shoes have been a 48. Running shoes are a 14, street shoes a 13... which makes for a pretty solid 48. Anyone wearing Bont shoes know if they are true to size compared to other manufacturers? I don't think I would size down that much by their size "wizard" recommendation.

dem
03-28-2016, 09:36 PM
I went with the recommended sizing and I'd say it is closer to "sock fitting" than shoe fitting. So if you like wiggle room, go a size up.

Also they have a pronounced arch, if you have a flat foot, they may not work for you (anyone want a 10.75/45 unused, lemmie know.)

R3awak3n
03-28-2016, 09:45 PM
I am an 10.5/11 in regular shoes and a 46 in bont. However I am a 45 in giro mountain shoes but a 45 on giro road shoe was a bit too tight on my right foot (a bit bigger than my left). I would say get 2 sizes and send the one that doesn't fit back or go to a bike shop and buy it there.

oh also, make sure you get some insoles because the ones that come with the shoes are so thin and crappy that they should be embarrassed to sell $200+ shoes with those crappy insoles. I got some superfeet (I have them on all my cycling shoes). That said, the bonts are the best cycling shoes I have ever had, really really amazing. stiff and comfortable.

Veloo
03-28-2016, 10:53 PM
Also be wary of the steep angle of the toe. I have more of a Morton's toe so I'd have to up size quite a bit in Bonts but they never really fit my feet very well anyway.

ultraman6970
03-28-2016, 11:55 PM
I use bonts and I was between 44.5 and 45... since their shoes (to me) arent super cheap either got lucky to snap a set from a forumite in 44.5... the fit was tight in the big toe so what I did was to remove their insoles and cut ones from 1.5 mm thickiness cork sheet from home depot and in the process I mold them too.

Just telling you my experience in case the size is not like perfect and you need to make yourself more room you know.

As for the fit, they will feel super stiff at the beginning, but in a good way. If you have like redness or hurt under the arch (lot of complains about this but thats the reason the shoe works) what I did to fix it was to add little like pieces of cork so the arch curve is smoother and not pronounced, obviously put them at the front and back of the tip of the arch, not at the tip of the arch. I have flexible and non pronounced arches, so needed to make that area little more flatter and longer, after a week tweaking them the shoes did not bother me again. Many bont users pretty much forget they have the shoes on while riding.

Hope this helps, many riders give up at bont shoes because they cant figure them out.

cmbicycles
03-29-2016, 06:34 PM
I emailed Bont to see what their advice would be size wise, and asked about a dealer nearby. Their response was... "speak to our US distributor". They gave no contact info, and skirted my question entirely. Their dealer locator doesnt work on the website and the only contact they give is the email address where I sent my question. We'll see how they re-respond but maybe I'll just consider other options. I'm very unimpressed with their response so far.

kitsnob
03-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Have you thought about the custom/semi-custom route?
D2 is a site sponsor and Don has recently relocated to a much more convenient Southern Cali (read: LA area location)
http://d2shoe.com/
Then there is Riivo. http://www.riivo.com/riivo.com/RIIVO___Road_Cycling_Shoes_-_Handmade_in_the_USA.html
or even Rocket 7 (back in the game after a few years off)
http://www.rocket7.com/

giverdada
03-29-2016, 08:27 PM
I'm 43.5 in pretty much everything, 9.5US, and would be a 43.5 in Bont but they don't make it. So I wear a thin sock in a Bont 43 and it's great. Longest, hardest, biggest rides I've done have been in these shoes, and no amount of foot-swelling or chip seal has made me wish I was ever wearing different shoes. Next pair of Bonts I get may be 44, just so I can wear thicker socks when the weather turns cold. I'll compensate with insole thickness accordingly. But, for me, Bont has been consistent with all of my other shoe manufacturer sizes. 43.5 Sidi, 43.5 Bont, 43.5 Raichle, 9.5 Asics, 9.5 Nike, 9.5 Saucony, etc...

cmbicycles
03-29-2016, 08:34 PM
I looked into custom, but they are not in the budget. I'll take some time to explore other options first. Had sidi genius shoes for 10 years in std width 48s without problems, then took a few years off and when I came back they weren't cutting it anymore.

I have tried Specialized, Shimano wide, Northwave, Sidi wide... plenty left to try if I can find something in my size. Ill probably give giro and lake a try if Bont can't resolve their customer service issues. Unfortunately no one local, or semi-local, stocks large sized shoes... oh well, first world problems.

pdonk
04-01-2016, 06:11 AM
I just got a pair of bonts in a size 46. I am nowhere near a size 48. I wear 45.5 in sidi dominators.

Now to get the heat moulding down, able to get a rubbing spot out of the toe, need more work on the arch, they are about 80% there.

Wiggle has a few models on sale in your size. Could always buy a few pairs and return the one that does not fit.

cmbicycles
04-01-2016, 10:00 PM
I just got a pair of bonts in a size 46. I am nowhere near a size 48. I wear 45.5 in sidi dominators.

Now to get the heat moulding down, able to get a rubbing spot out of the toe, need more work on the arch, they are about 80% there.

Wiggle has a few models on sale in your size. Could always buy a few pairs and return the one that does not fit.

Checked it out, but Return shipping is $65-70 using usps, more via fedex. So I'll buy more local til I know what fits.

pdonk
04-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Sizing information from the back of the box

12 = 46 = 295mm
12.5=46.5=300
13=47=305
13.5=47.5=310
14=48=315

I have wide feet ( wear a 10.5 ee) in most dress shoes and 11-11.5 in most nikes and the bont 46 seem to fit well.

Fair warning- I have only ridden around the block a few times, I will report back after a few long rides and trips to the track.