PDA

View Full Version : Raam

fiamme red
06-15-2006, 01:53 PM
I meant "RAAM."

What a close race! Boyer and Baloh of the Enduro division are neck-and-neck, and Fabio Biasiolo of the Traditional division is right there with them. Here are the times of arrival at Time Station 25:

Station #25: Mullinville, KS

1 - Jonathan Boyer 06/15 13:33
2 - Fabio Biasiolo 06/15 13:42
3 - Marko Baloh 06/15 13:47

Lanternrouge
06-15-2006, 01:56 PM
I meant "RAAM."

What a close race! Boyer and Baloh of the Enduro division are neck-and-neck, and Fabio Biasiolo of the Traditional division is right there with them. Here are the times of arrival at Time Station 25:

Station #25: Mullinville, KS

1 - Jonathan Boyer 06/15 13:33
2 - Fabio Biasiolo 06/15 13:42
3 - Marko Baloh 06/15 13:47

Boyer is reportedly having some neck problems, which could mean he'll really be screwed. It's a real shame that Robic is out now. Last year he had his follow vehicle blasting polka music through loudspeakers.

fiamme red
06-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Boyer is reportedly having some neck problems, which could mean he'll really be screwed. It's a real shame that Robic is out now. Last year he had his follow vehicle blasting polka music through loudspeakers.Yes, RAAM would have been much more interesting if Robic hadn't pulled out.

fiamme red
06-15-2006, 02:12 PM
http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/files/raam2006/2006_daily/chews061406.htm

"Passing through TS #19 in La Veta, CO just 7 minutes behind Moonen was Tinker Juarez. A two time mountain bike Olympian, he climbed all three mountain passes in Colorado today in his big chainring. In fact I found out that he has not been out of his big chainring the entire way, but plans on using his small chainring in West Virginia. His crew chief Trevor Finch told me that Tinker has great eyes, and is still jumping railroad tracks. He doesn’t use sunscreen and is a terrific night rider. He rides better when he is tired. Then he has chosen the right event in RAAM which I call experiencing tiredness beyond belief. Tinker has accumulated 20 hours off bike time 1,102 miles into the race in Trinidad, CO. He has two bikes with aerobars, but doesn’t like them. He started the race with no chamois in his shorts, but started using them in Cortez, CO. Mountain bike world champion Ned Overend visited Tinker just before he left the TS in Durango. Ned told me that Tinker must be able to recover on the bike during RAAM.

"Finch said that Tinker is very intuitive about his training. Today was the first day he’s dealt with the pain of yesterday. He never asks where the other riders are. 2005 RAAM finisher Jim Trout is on Tinker’s crew, and told me he would rather be a rider than a crew person. Trevor’s wife Jennifer is also on the Juarez crew. When I asked Tinker why he prefers always riding in his big chainring, he said, 'It just feels right.' Raspy with a sore throat (most of the riders have this), Tinker said he needs a whole week to acclimate to the altitude, and he’s only been at altitude for 3 days now."

Tinker's average speed from Kim, CO to Springfield, CO (50 miles) was 32 mph! I know it's mostly downhill, but that's pretty impressive!

Blastinbob
06-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Tinker may make a move when the leaders take their required breaks. 40 hour minimum is required in the enduro div. it looks like his strategy is to rest longer or at a even pace through the event.

Delpo
06-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Looks like RAAM 2006 will be a race of attrition. Under these conditions Tinker has the experience and the endurance to take it. He rode all the mountain passes on the big ring because and I quote "it felt good that way".

Fixed
06-15-2006, 02:46 PM
bro how does he do on the road ? does he road race ?

Delpo
06-15-2006, 02:55 PM
He is doing well. The issue that could affect him down the road is that he is not using his aero equipment or aero bikes often. The added drag could hurt him down the road from an energy cost point of view.

goonster
06-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Check out the lead of 2-man team BodyXchange, which includes Joe Petersen.

I saw an interesting profile on Petersen somewhere last year (can't find the link now). He has multiple state time trial titles, and supposedly has broken both collarbones multiple times and now was very sloped shoulders that permit an extreme aero tuck. He's a huge guy, and I've heard rumours of a 60t big ring.

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/files/raam2005/2005_pics/2005_finish/finishlinepic/410%20-%20anthem_lr.jpg