PDA

View Full Version : OT: Breaking Away made the top 10

Bruce K
06-15-2006, 01:19 PM
As I was settling in to bed, my wife was watching some special on TV of the top 100 inspirational movies, or some such drivel.

But lo and behold, #8 was Breaking Away as one of the most inspirational and best sports films ever.

Now admittedly, Rocky was a few spots higher, but I still love Breaking Away and watch it every chance I get.

I know we've kicked this around before, but I just thought it was cool.

BK

BTW, did ANYONE get the Triplets of Belleville? :confused:

pjm
06-15-2006, 01:24 PM
I was surprised to see that, too. Breaking Away actually finished higher than Rudy and Hoosiers in their (The American Film Institute, what ever that is) rankings.

Fixed
06-15-2006, 01:28 PM
bro how many of you bros were riding already when that came out?
american flyers?
quicksilver ?
the bike thief ? you have to be real old for that one . i.m.h.o.
cheers

Grant McLean
06-15-2006, 02:01 PM
bro how many of you bros were riding already when that came out?
american flyers?
quicksilver ?
the bike thief ? you have to be real old for that one . i.m.h.o.
cheers

bro, i remeber seeing American Flyers with my high school girlfriend in the theater.
It was a baaaaaaad 80's movie! But at least there was Ray dawn Chong to
look at.

g

Bradford
06-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Breaking Away is even more fun if you have lived in Bloomington. Unlike movies shot on a hollywood lot, everything in the movie is a real place on campus or in town, and most are easily recognizable.

If you ever get a chance to go to Little 500 (the race in the movie), do whatever you can to get there. I was lucky enough to see three of them and it is a fantastic sporting event. My first taste of road cycling came when I lived with a guy on the Phi Delt team. Little was I to know that some day I'd be as silly about the sport as they were.

Now I just wish I had a road bike back then and had taken it out in the countryside and down into Brown County. Perhaps when Little Bradford is looking at colleges we can take our bikes to Bloomington and do some rides.

Bill Bove
06-15-2006, 02:25 PM
I still have one of the "Break Away With Campagnolo" bumper stickers that Campy gave away by the thousands that summer.

Fixed
06-15-2006, 02:27 PM
bro my wife was at i.u. when they filmed b.a.
cheers

mosca
06-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Refund???

Dave B
06-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Growing up in Bloomington BA was "our" movie! My uncle who was working for IU alumni association at the time worked with the producers to help film the stuff. Finally after waitng a few years I was able to buy one of the little 5 bikes! Hanging up in my garage until i can get a new crankset!

I never rode, but coached a girls team and mechaniced for my fraternity when they almost one it!

Nothing like it in the world!

In Hoc!

atmo
06-15-2006, 03:03 PM
aw heck, all the forum cats know that
floydy can erase a deficit and return
from - what, 11th place? - and get to
the podium, if not the yellow jersey.
we believe, atmo.

Fixed
06-15-2006, 03:18 PM
bro my wife said some real tall ugly white b.ball player went there then too .

atmo
06-15-2006, 03:26 PM

don't get me started (http://home.earthlink.net/~lnkn/birdjord.htm) atmo.

Erik.Lazdins
06-15-2006, 03:31 PM
don't get me started (http://home.earthlink.net/~lnkn/birdjord.htm) atmo.

Still a cool link

Fixed
06-15-2006, 03:41 PM
bro they some guy there that was a pretty good swimmer then too .
l.b. was there for a little while .

BoulderGeek
06-15-2006, 03:41 PM
While American Flyers is a painful movie to watch for the acting and screenwriting, it does have some great imagery of my local rides and backyard. The legendary Morgul-Bismarck course (my first ride on my Serotta), the cliffside road in Dinosaur National Monument, in Fruita, CO. Boulder scenes, etc.

Plus, it has 5'10" hottie and Hawaii Ironman finisher Alexandra Paul.

Fixed
06-15-2006, 03:45 PM
bro here is my story ....not
cheers

Bud
06-15-2006, 04:00 PM
I was born and raised in Bloomington, went to IU for my BS and MS and lived there until I was 27 or so. My family has been in Monroe Cty for generations and is still there (except for me). Breaking Away was one of my favorite movies growing up, and I might not have gotten into cycling had it not been for that flick (at least, I wouldn't have thought it was so cool). Some of my ancesters actually were Cutters.

American Flyers is a close second, imho.

Bradford
06-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Larry Legend did start at IU, he was just a bit overwhelmed by the school and transferred to Indiana State.

Can you imagine if he had stayed at IU? He enrolled at IU for the '74-'75 year. That was the year that IU went 31 and 1, with the only loss coming in the tournament. The next year, the Hoosiers were unbeaten NCAA champions, the last undefeated team in NCAA history.

Oh, if Larry had stayed, it could have been four championships in a row.

I watched that ISU vs. MSU game live in 1979. If Larry had the Hoosiers around him instead of the Sycamores, it would have taken 5 Magic Johnsons to beat them.

Bud
06-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Larry Legend did start at IU, he was just a bit overwhelmed by the school and transferred to Indiana State.

Can you imagine if he had stayed at IU? He enrolled at IU for the '74-'75 year. That was the year that IU went 31 and 1, with the only loss coming in the tournament. The next year, the Hoosiers were unbeaten NCAA champions, the last undefeated team in NCAA history.

Oh, if Larry had stayed, it could have been four championships in a row.

I watched that ISU vs. MSU game live in 1979. If Larry had the Hoosiers around him instead of the Sycamores, it would have taken 5 Magic Johnsons to beat them.

Being a diehard Hoosier, I miss those days when we had some solid teams but I'm glad Bobby is gone. He cracked imho. I hope Sampson can get us back on track. Who knows. . .

davids
06-15-2006, 04:06 PM
uh - did you also attend the university?
i'm only axing for a reason atmo.
I'm pretty sure he went to won. Why?

Bradford
06-15-2006, 04:10 PM
bro they some guy there that was a pretty good swimmer then too .

Yeah, he was pretty good in college, but what did he ever do when he left?

Bud
06-15-2006, 04:15 PM

Is she thinking of Uwe Blab? I think he played for IU around '84?

sailorboy
06-15-2006, 04:15 PM
"He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle. Yeah... well... now his body's fine, but his mind is gone." (breaking away 1979)

PanTerra
06-15-2006, 05:48 PM
bro here is my story ....not
cheers

Boy was that movie a disappointment.

Bruce K
06-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Mr. P - a Sig?

BK

Dave B
06-15-2006, 08:33 PM
uh - did you also attend the university?
i'm only axing for a reason atmo.

Started out in a small school in michigan playing soccer then transfered to Iu as I changed majors. IU has the best sachool in the world for what I studied

Dave B
06-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Is she thinking of Uwe Blab? I think he played for IU around '84?

Hey at least she wasn't talking about the good old Chris Lawson. Went to high school with him. Only guy I have ever seen 6'11" who could not dunk. What a let down!

Then again Damon Bailey did sooo much after he graduated. Nicest guy though!

Dave B
06-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Mr. P - a Sig?

BK

Damn Glad!

:beer:

Initiated @ Albion College (Sweet Heart chapter) then affiliated with Lambda @ IU

chuck
06-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Went there for school before the movie - interrupted for a few years by a stint in SE Asia ("McNamara scholarships" they were called). That big rock slab at the swimming hole used to have a steel wire rope cable running from the top clear across the quarry and you could go hand over hand on it and drop down into the water, but beware of rusty wire shards. Dangerous swimming since few places to get out of the water and fairly deep.

In October there's a "Hilly Hundred" century weekend with 50 miles Sat and 50 miles Sun, and bluegrass bands, bagpipes, fried chicken, pasta, etc about every dozen miles - a rolling picnic with about 5,000 cyclists. Great fun. The hills can get pretty steep but are usually short compared to New England.

A lovely spot really.

Chuck

atmo
06-15-2006, 09:30 PM

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=220622&postcount=10

Started out in a small school in michigan playing soccer then transfered to Iu as I changed majors. IU has the best sachool in the world for what I studied

and that subject was?

obtuse
06-15-2006, 09:33 PM

and that subject was?

internal chemistry.

obtuse

2LeftCleats
06-15-2006, 09:54 PM
One of my sons has ridden for the Cutters the last 3 years at IU. The effort involved in preparing for the Little 5 is remarkable. Most of the top teams train all year and the regimens are extremely sophisticated. Some of these guys train 30 hrs a week during intensive parts of the year, leaving little time for actual studying. And many race all summer on various teams. They struggle not to advance beyond cat 3 to avoid disqualification for Little 5, although they are now letting a few cat 2s in. They ride a special Schwinn single speed, with platform pedals. Typical cruising speed on a quarter mile cinder track is about 25mph. The women race half the distance the day before and are also impressive. Attendance for the men's race is 20-25,000 and not a little alcohol is consumed. It is an amazing event that is worth checkin out.

Bud
06-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Hey at least she wasn't talking about the good old Chris Lawson. Went to high school with him. Only guy I have ever seen 6'11" who could not dunk. What a let down!

Then again Damon Bailey did sooo much after he graduated. Nicest guy though!

Dude did you go to SOuth, too? I graduated in '88.

Dave B
06-15-2006, 10:11 PM

and that subject was?

Outdoor recreation and resource management. Under their parks dept.

Fantastic professors and I was a member of their pioneer outdoor leadership major program. Some of the most amazing experiences in learning in all of my life.

Dave B
06-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Dude did you go to SOuth, too? I graduated in '88.

Yeah I did, in '93

I bet we knew some of the same people.

Play any sports while you were @ BHS???

Bud
06-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Yeah I did, in '93

I bet we knew some of the same people.

Play any sports while you were @ BHS???

I was a cross country and track (distance) geek. I graduated IU with my BS in '96 (the 8 year plan, which includes a 3 year hiatus) and MS in '00.

Dave B
06-15-2006, 10:51 PM
So you ran for Law did you???!!!!????

I played soccer and messed around with track.

You then also remember the good Little 5 weekends when things were crazy. It has changed loads now. Not as crazy!

No Varsity Villa riots!!!

Let me see do you recall:

Pat Lumbely
Kevin Coyne He ran cross country.
Jason Birk
Tod Yeagly or any other soccer players
Jill Campaign

I hope you took Latin with Mrs. Arthur!!!
Chemistry with Rambo

What did you study at IU?

Bud
06-16-2006, 07:50 AM
So you ran for Law did you???!!!!????

I played soccer and messed around with track.

You then also remember the good Little 5 weekends when things were crazy. It has changed loads now. Not as crazy!

No Varsity Villa riots!!!

Let me see do you recall:

Pat Lumbely
Kevin Coyne He ran cross country.
Jason Birk
Tod Yeagly or any other soccer players
Jill Campaign

I hope you took Latin with Mrs. Arthur!!!
Chemistry with Rambo

What did you study at IU?

I remember Pat and had his dad for chem, Kevin Coyne was a good friend of mine, and I played soccer for years before HS so I knew Yeagley.

At IU, I studied geology, physics and education, then got my MS in Ed. I took some hyper courses too, so we probably had a few of the same classes there. DId you have Tom Rillo?

ANyway, I'm now in Colorado at CU-Boulder working on the PhD. I miss IN sometimes (and the family, etc.), but I love it here.

Dave B
06-16-2006, 08:08 AM
I did have Rillo, he was a trip!

Studied Outdoor Rec as an undergrad and then worked for awhile before coming back to Ball State to geta MA in teaching.

Stuck in Indiana as my wife's entire family is from around the Fishers/Carmel area.

Went to Fruita and Breckenridge two summers ago and it changed my life.

I am ready to sell everything in Indiana and live in a trailer in Breckenridge!!!

Serpico
06-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Breaking Away actually won an Oscar in 1979, iirc.