PDA

View Full Version : I may have found the world's best training aid...

EPOJoe
03-26-2016, 06:32 PM
...and it's a late 1960's Allegro. I've been taking sixty mile rides on this heavy sucker for a few weeks now in preparation for Eroica, California. Today, I decided to give the Allegro a rest and set out on my Calfee instead. I was shocked when I arrived home and checked my Strava to find that I had bested a big bunch of my personal records, including my standard twenty minute time trial and my forty minute time trial. Guess I'm gonna have to keep riding this thing after Eroica's over. :)

joe.e
03-26-2016, 06:45 PM
I notice the same thing on the weekends after commuting all week with a backpack full of crap. Set out on the weekend (sans backpack) and I feel so light and nimble!

Tickdoc
03-26-2016, 06:53 PM
...and it's a late 1960's Allegro. I've been taking sixty mile rides on this heavy sucker for a few weeks now in preparation for Eroica, California. Today, I decided to give the Allegro a rest and set out on my Calfee instead. I was shocked when I arrived home and checked my Strava to find that I had bested a big bunch of my personal records, including my standard twenty minute time trial and my forty minute time trial. Guess I'm gonna have to keep riding this thing after Eroica's over. :)

Yep. The difference between my 15 lb cervelo and my 20 lb ciocc is only a sack of sugar, but man it makes a difference when you switch!

( but I would rather throw a leg over that old Italian steed any day over the cervelo)

Good luck during eroica!

(Btw, that term is autocorrected to erotica by my iPad)

cinema
03-26-2016, 06:53 PM
I notice the same thing on the weekends after commuting all week with a backpack full of crap. Set out on the weekend (sans backpack) and I feel so light and nimble!

same! it's like those hitters who use two or three bats when practicing their swing. I put the majority of miles on the 30 lbs hunka junk and KOM hard on the weekends. I have mostly been riding a steel hardtail with a frame bag, camel back, etc doing 2-4k of climbing. then when i do end up putting miles on the road bike i PR everything

stephenmarklay
03-26-2016, 08:31 PM
I want to see your hands. If you can reach the brakes from the drops I would be scared.

EPOJoe
03-27-2016, 12:44 AM
I want to see your hands. If you can reach the brakes from the drops I would be scared.

I can reach them from the drops with some effort, but I just ride with hands on the hoods and slide a few fingers over the top to brake well enough. There really was no good position for these old Weinmann levers on these old bars. If I mounted the levers lower such that they were vertical, they still shot out into space and were nowhere near the drops. The whole thing confused the heck out of me, so I just went with the best compromise I could come up with. :rolleyes:

weisan
03-27-2016, 05:23 AM
EPO-pal, complete your transformation with tire sling over your shoulder and pick up smokin' again if you have given it up earlier...

https://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/toursmokersart-1.jpg

shovelhd
03-27-2016, 08:57 AM
Best training aid, written by EPO Joe. Perfect. 🍺

EPOJoe
03-27-2016, 02:13 PM
EPO-pal, complete your transformation with tire sling over your shoulder and pick up smokin' again if you have given it up earlier...

https://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/toursmokersart-1.jpg

Great photo, Weisan-pal, but if any photo were to make me take up smoking, it would be either this classic of Mario, or perhaps this old Chesterfield ad. :)

PS: Is that Sean Connery in the Chesterfield ad?!