PDA

View Full Version : OT: My Daughter's New Dog

93legendti
03-26-2016, 06:32 PM
Bowie

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/E12491D3-BD86-4122-8D02-9C5AA321C145_zpsqxrulwdt.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/user/adambaker29/media/E12491D3-BD86-4122-8D02-9C5AA321C145_zpsqxrulwdt.jpg.html)

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/7AFF14EB-4AB7-4196-B8E4-9F9D129C5FC5_zpsvhxdiimc.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/user/adambaker29/media/7AFF14EB-4AB7-4196-B8E4-9F9D129C5FC5_zpsvhxdiimc.jpg.html)

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/6E3ADCE8-4045-43E5-AC43-C6FB8D436C40_zpsbyqxccqk.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/user/adambaker29/media/6E3ADCE8-4045-43E5-AC43-C6FB8D436C40_zpsbyqxccqk.jpg.html)

sandyrs
03-26-2016, 06:34 PM
So cute! What breed(s)?

93legendti
03-26-2016, 06:41 PM
Thank you! Bergamasco Sheep Dog

Tickdoc
03-26-2016, 06:55 PM
We had an Aussie with similar coloring.

That is going to make for one fine looking dog.

93legendti
03-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Thank you.

We love herding dogs and I needed a hypo allergenic dog that was good with kids.

My first dog-I grew up with cats. My wife had a dog as a child.

Very sweet, playful dog. Even my son, who has a fear of larger dogs, proclaimed that he loved him within 15 minutes of meeting him.

Veloo
03-26-2016, 07:15 PM
Great color pattern.

sandyrs
03-26-2016, 07:20 PM

Whoa! Mop dog! :)

93legendti
03-26-2016, 07:23 PM
Whoa! Mop dog! :)

Yup, dreadlocks are the norm...not sure we will go that route since we have pretty hot summers and live off a lake..we will have to see as he grows...

Great color pattern.

Thank you. She had her choice of 8 pups and liked this one best.

Peter P.
03-26-2016, 07:33 PM
My first thought was, "name the dog "Oreo"!

Chris
03-26-2016, 07:34 PM
Very cool. That's our second choice. The wife and girls are set on a Komondor. Obviously very similar breeds. I wanted a Bergamasco but got overruled. Keep me up to date on how the pup does. We have a similar climate. Where did you find one?

93legendti
03-26-2016, 07:34 PM
My first thought was, "name the dog "Oreo"!
Funny you say that, she had a fish with similar color she called Oreo Crumbs. She chose "Bowie".

93legendti
03-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Very cool. That's our second choice. The wife and girls are set on a Komondor. Obviously very similar breeds. I wanted a Bergamasco but got overruled. Keep me up to date on how the pup does. We have a similar climate. Where did you find one?

Delphi, Indiana. Windy Hill Bergamasco. She is on Facebook, and she is a breeder and a vet. VERY nice woman.

Very smart dog. My daughter already taught him to sit and he mastered stairs on our back deck, even thou he was reputed to be afraid of them. All this after a 5 hr car ride home and being separated from his Mom.

We have an inattentive dog owning neighbor who has an aggressive rescue greyhound and our breeder reassured us that Bowie will have no problems from a bigger dog.

The dreadlocks aren't my thing, but other than that, the breed checks all our boxes and we have a huge, fenced back yard for him to play in and get some of his exercise.

The Komondor would be too much dog for us.

93legendti
04-04-2016, 09:06 AM

Bowie is a really sweet, smart, fun, playful dog. He has played with our friend's 85 lb golden retriever and our neighbor's Samoyed and malamute all without incident. He will sneak up on the Golden to see if he can steal his ball... He is still only 20 lbs or so...

After doing his business outside, he lets us know he is finished by gently pawing the screen door 2 times. He will fetch a tennis ball and a wiffle bat he started playing with and will pick up a leaf or twig and take off trying to initiate a game with me.

He loves to cuddle, is unfazed by loud children and rightly fears the aggressive bark of our clueless neighbors' rescue Great Dane - who is determined to jump their 5' fence when she sees Bowie. The GD already got loose and attacked another dog. The owners don't walk the dog and she is on a leash even in their back yard.

Tony
04-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Bowie is a really sweet, smart, fun, playful dog. He has played with our friend's 85 lb golden retriever and our neighbor's Samoyed and malamute all without incident. He will sneak up on the Golden to see if he can steal his ball... He is still only 20 lbs or so...

After doing his business outside, he lets us know he is finished by gently pawing the screen door 2 times. He will fetch a tennis ball and a wiffle bat he started playing with and will pick up a leaf or twig and take off trying to initiate a game with me.

He loves to cuddle, is unfazed by loud children and rightly fears the aggressive bark of our clueless neighbors' rescue Great Dane - who is determined to jump their 5' fence when she sees Bowie. The GD already got loose and attacked another dog. The owners don't walk the dog and she is on a leash even in their back yard.

Sad.

Tony
04-04-2016, 09:47 AM

Beautiful Dog!

bobswire
04-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Great looking dog , never seen one with those markings. Play frisbee with him, good exercise for both human and humans owner. :)
P.S. Pet/Dog owners who leave their animals alone in the yard all day and night left to their own devices should be horse whipped (at the very least ATMO).

93legendti
04-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Sad.

I agree. Years ago they had 2 dogs and never walked them either. I don't get it.

Beautiful Dog!

Thank you

93legendti
04-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Great looking dog , never seen one with those markings. Play frisbee with him, good exercise for both human and humans owner. :)
P.S. Pet/Dog owners who leave their animals alone in the yard all day and night left to their own devices should be horse whipped (at the very least ATMO).

Thank you.

I've got the frisbees lined up...

I agree about leaving animals alone...

Fatty
04-04-2016, 03:43 PM
28 pounds of unbridled Beagle enthusiasm. Her walks are getting less frequent because the deer ticks are out in force. She ran my legs off over this past winter.

93legendti
10-14-2016, 12:27 PM

Did you get a Komondor?

Bowie has proven to be a better pet than we could have hoped. He loves to play keep away, loves to jump, loves to fetch, loves his walks, and loves to play with all sorts of dogs.

He is now about 55 lbs. He barks when someone knocks on the door, other than that, he is quiet.

No shedding. He follows us around the house and keeps tabs on us.

Even my Mom loves him and as, she always says, "I don't really like dogs, I like cats".

I'll see if I can upload some recent pics.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/image_zpsbtlnwxyw.jpeg

Kirk007
10-14-2016, 12:48 PM
Great looking dog. Must be fun to get cleaned up when it rains though! ; )

How big will he get?

El Chaba
10-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Congratulations....Beautiful dog....I love herding dogs. Sign up for a puppy class. When you practice keep in mind that Bowie will be smarter than 90% of the other dogs in the class. So, while repetition of the exercises is important, less is more so that he doesn't get bored. It's HARD to stay ahead of a herding dog and there will be times that you wished for a dumber breed. I have a 15 yo Bearded Collie, Oliver. You end up taking for granted how much language they learn. I explain things to Ollie and people look at me like I'm crazy until they look at his face while I am talking to him.....and then he does what I asked!

93legendti
10-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Great looking dog. Must be fun to get cleaned up when it rains though! ; )

How big will he get?

Thanks.

It hasn't been bad so far, mostly because the big baby doesn't like the rain. We have good tree cover in our yards, so he can go out and do his business and stay fairly dry. He does try to eat the towel when we wipe him off after a bath.

Hard to say about his size...Some sources list the full size for males as between 70-84 ibs. He is already bigger than his Mom and has 10 ibs on his sister, who the breeder kept. He was the runt of the litter, but had the biggest paws.

At 10 months old, I think 60 - 65 ibs is the biggest we can expect. And that's plenty.

Did your son get a Cane Corso?

93legendti
10-14-2016, 02:46 PM
Congratulations....Beautiful dog....I love herding dogs. Sign up for a puppy class. When you practice keep in mind that Bowie will be smarter than 90% of the other dogs in the class. So, while repetition of the exercises is important, less is more so that he doesn't get bored. It's HARD to stay ahead of a herding dog and there will be times that you wished for a dumber breed. I have a 15 yo Bearded Collie, Oliver. You end up taking for granted how much language they learn. I explain things to Ollie and people look at me like I'm crazy until they look at his face while I am talking to him.....and then he does what I asked!

That's a gorgeous dog - he looks like he could be a brother or a cousin of Bowie's. How much does he weigh?

We've had private lessons with Bowie. The breeder said he will not do well in a class with other dogs because he will want to herd them. My daughter has taught him a bunch of stuff and he really he is quite compliant. there was a period of time when he would jump up to greet people but that was corrected in one days time.

The only vice he has now that I can think of is when were walking he has a particular fascination with squirrels. I have to remember to bring his treats on our walk so I can correct the behavior.

Our neighbors bring their two-year-old over to play with Bowie and once the child grabbed a fistful of hair on top of Bowie's face. I was holding my breath waiting to see the reaction and Bowie did nothing.

Regarding explaining things, I know what you mean. This is a true story: I think I mentioned before that when Bowie was less than 20 pounds he would run under our deck every time the Great Dane next-door started growling and snarling at him from the other side the fence.

I finally tired of this, so I picked up Bowie and put him on my lap while sitting on our back deck and the GD was growling and I gently said him "this is our backyard, there is no for reason to be afraid... I won't let anything happen to you ... Do not let that bully boss you around."

I was gently patting him while I was talking to him and then I put him down. He then cautiously walked to the closest he'd ever gotten to the fence and just stared at the Great Dane while she was snarling and growling at Bowie. The next day when the GD started up again, Bowie I walked up to the fence, turned around and did his business right in the GD's face and walked away.

Now he just ignores the GD.

93legendti
10-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Here's a sweet pic (even thou I think it's not a good idea to encourage a dog to do this when you have trained him to stop jumping on people).

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/image_zpseqrieaux.jpeg

mellowandre
10-14-2016, 02:59 PM
S'cute!

93legendti
10-14-2016, 03:04 PM

Does that handsome dog follow you everywhere in your house? If I go sit at the kitchen table, he will sit under the table, just slightly sitting on one of my feet. If I go to the bathroom, he will wait outside. If I go upstairs, he will follow me. If we are all sitting at the table, he will sit next to us. If we are watching TV, he will sit with us. The breeder says her 4 dogs do the same thing.
Don't get me wrong, I like that he wants to be with us.

93legendti
10-14-2016, 03:05 PM
S'cute!

Thanks!

Kirk007
10-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Thanks.

Did your son get a Cane Corso?

No, came to his senses and got an English golden retriever, Moose - the polar opposite of a cane corso. Much relief here!

Chris
10-14-2016, 05:31 PM
I did! Just last week. It took forever to find one. She is 9 weeks old and is in full on puppy mode. She can be like trying to pet a shark when she is riled up. I looked up this thread just last night and was going to post this weekend after I get a decent picture.

The Berg is looking great.

Ti Designs
10-14-2016, 05:49 PM
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14706821_717182445099969_1083399549818899260_o.jpg

One of the great things about having a pet is that they're captive subjects to be photographed. It's not that easy to capture a bird in the wild, in action, with it's eyes in sharp focus. Pets are a different story... Take the time to get good images, put the camera on it's highest frame rate, pick out the good ones later. I'm not taking anything away from the mop-dog's cuteness, but in a few years when you look at the images, you'll wish they were sharper...

93legendti
10-14-2016, 06:42 PM
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14706821_717182445099969_1083399549818899260_o.jpg

One of the great things about having a pet is that they're captive subjects to be photographed. It's not that easy to capture a bird in the wild, in action, with it's eyes in sharp focus. Pets are a different story... Take the time to get good images, put the camera on it's highest frame rate, pick out the good ones later. I'm not taking anything away from the mop-dog's cuteness, but in a few years when you look at the images, you'll wish they were sharper...

Point taken and that is a great, compelling photo (I love cats).

I have great cameras (Hasselblad and a Leica), but these were taken with my iPhone after someone yelled "quick, take a picture!".

I will have to break out the cameras one day.

93legendti
10-14-2016, 06:43 PM
No, came to his senses and got an English golden retriever, Moose - the polar opposite of a cane corso. Much relief here!

Good, he will probably be much happier in the long run with a Golden. Beautiful dog.

93legendti
10-14-2016, 06:44 PM
I did! Just last week. It took forever to find one. She is 9 weeks old and is in full on puppy mode. She can be like trying to pet a shark when she is riled up. I looked up this thread just last night and was going to post this weekend after I get a decent picture.

The Berg is looking great.

Thanks! I am looking forward to a pic.

Ti Designs
10-14-2016, 09:16 PM
I will have to break out the cameras one day.

Do it often. I had 14 years with my dog Itzy, I wish I had more pictures of him. I only have a few shots of him when he was in his boneless puppy stage (he would run around until he couldn't keep his eyes open, the flop down like someone removed all of his bones). Most of my pictures of him were taken when he had cancer, and you can tell that he wasn't feeling well. Harry (my cat) is my subject any time I get a new lens or camera body.