PDA

View Full Version : OT: a wildlife battle behind my frame shop

Doug Fattic
03-26-2016, 03:15 AM
I live on several acres in the city of Niles that has a population of about 15,000. It is just north of the Indiana border and Notre Dame University. My bicycle frame shop is a couple hundred feet behind my house and behind that is a steep river bank. Before the river is quite a bit of marsh/swamp land and a multi-use trail that used to be a railway bed. This low lying land doesn’t have any access so it is a mostly undisturbed habitat for wildlife. Students that take my frame building class are often amazed at the deer and wild turkeys they can see in the yard looking out the shop window. We watched a pileated woodpecker go to work on a tree stump a couple of days ago. They are a good sized bird almost as big as a crow. One of my students saw a wildlife battle this week between a coyote and the turkeys and was able to document it with a couple of pictures.

These big birds appear occasionally and graze across the yard. This time of the year the hens peck at the ground while the toms trail behind with their feathers spread hoping to get lucky. Suddenly out of the wooded area on the bank appeared a coyote. Instead of the turkeys running/flying away (they don’t fly gracefully) they all turned to face the coyote and started to go towards him. My student was able to take a picture of this action. His shot only caught the left side of the drama but the turkeys were also coming at him from the right too in a semi-circle. In the picture you can see that the coyote is looking at my student taking the picture. He saw the odds weren’t in his favor and ran back down the hill. I was surprised that the aggressors were the turkeys rather than the other way around.

cadence90
03-26-2016, 03:28 AM
.... ..

flydhest
03-26-2016, 04:21 AM
Very cool. I had a mini version of that, remarkable only because it happened in the middle of Washington DC. Hawk and pigeon. No surprise about the aggressor. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160326/2e7fbbfef9f6bb446a88433a95e42418.jpg

numbskull
03-26-2016, 05:03 AM
I've had a big tom turkey take a sudden, aggressive, reared back, extended talons, flapping wings, screeching lunge at me while I was riding past his harem on small road. I'm REAL careful passing them now. I got the sense he could have done some serious damage if he'd reached me.

93legendti
03-26-2016, 05:48 AM
Pretty amazing. We are north of you and I hear Coyotes at night. Our mail lady has seen them during the day.

rwsaunders
03-26-2016, 05:56 AM
I live nine miles from downtown Pittsburgh and I've seen coyotes twice now while out on a ride. They scared the living crap out of me both times as they just scooted across the road in front of us while looking like mangy mutts.

We have a lot of turkey and deer and I asummed that the turkey were prone to their attacks. Your photo has me rooting for the turkeys.

weisan
03-26-2016, 06:13 AM
The turkeys are taking a united stand against SHIMANO.

jr59
03-26-2016, 06:21 AM
The turkeys are taking a united stand against SHIMANO.

Well played! :beer:

Doug Fattic
03-26-2016, 06:26 AM
Who were the aggressors; the hens, the toms, or both? It was a coordinated group effort with all the hens and toms working together against the coyote.

54ny77
03-26-2016, 06:41 AM
Wait till Ribble starts selling turkey meat at 50 cents a pound. Coyote will say screw the hunting thing, i'll just point, click, eat.

GScot
03-26-2016, 07:26 AM
I speak from experience, a turkey can dish out the pain. I got smacked by a neighbors heritage breed turkey when I was about 16. Surprise attack from above, luckily it was winter and it went for my back which was well protected by a carhart work coat. Still was scratched and bruised.