PDA

View Full Version : Help me with toe clips!

Steve in SLO
03-25-2016, 04:40 PM
I wear a size 48 shoe and am looking for a pair of toe clips that has approximately 7.5cm extension between mounting plate and cage tip.
Christophe XL's would be great, but are rare as hens teeth, and the new Zefal L/XL is short. MKS I have been told also runs a bit small.
Any other recommendations?
Sources of vintage toe clips would be welcome. I just spent an hour on eBay looking for something and could not find anything I was sure would fit for under $80.
They need to be steel or alloy, as they are for the Eroica.

Back in the day I always used Longs, which I have plenty of, but now are about a centimeter too short – Bah!

Cicli
03-25-2016, 04:41 PM
Kings?

David Kirk
03-25-2016, 04:54 PM
I always used spacers between the pedal cage and the toe clip with some longer bolts.

dave

p nut
03-25-2016, 04:57 PM
Maybe a few of these will work with your Long's?

http://www.benscycle.com/p-3801-mks-toe-clip-spacer.aspx

Or maybe just washers...

Steve in SLO
03-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Kings are nice, but I would like to stay as close to the vintage Christophe look as possible .
I'm also trying to stay away from spacers if possible.

buldogge
03-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Steve...I have some MKS LLs...They measure (and MKS lists them as) 7.2cm...

.3cm is ~8mm...So, if you can stand putting a 5/16" nylon spacer between the pedal and cage, the MKS LLs should work.

-Mark in St. Louis

Steve in SLO
03-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Thanks, Mark. If I can't find some vintage clips, that may be the way to go. I think they are also somewhat tall in the toe. Maybe I can use my handy dandy bench vice to crush them down a bit and get more length in the toe.

alexstar
03-25-2016, 05:24 PM
I wear a 47 and the MKS LLs are perfect for me. :beer: good luck in your search.

Steve in SLO
03-25-2016, 07:05 PM
Just picked up some MKS LLs and they look like they will work. I'm going to keep my eye out for an old set of Christophes, however.
Thanks, all.

verbs4us
03-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Pretty sure Rob Whelan at Sleepy Hollow Bicycle and Sport Center has NOS Christophe's, maybe in XL. Give him a call: (914) 631-3135. Usually there Saturday afternoons.

Steve in SLO
03-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Thanks and will do!

smontanaro
03-26-2016, 04:22 AM
I wear a 46, so keep an eye on toe clips as I browse eBay. You are correct that larger sizes are less common, but L and XL turn up often enough that you shouldn't need to wait long to find a set.

I'm guessing this is the final touch for Eroica California? I have a similar, though off-topic story (involving old cars). Many years ago, I owned a 67 Porsche 911S, long before they commanded the crazy prices they do today. One thing led to another, and I sold it, but somehow was left with a partial toolkit (pouch, pliers, one or two wrenches). I dragged that thing around on several moves over a couple decades, then decided, "Heck, I'm never going to use this thing. Might as well toss it up on eBay." The guy who bought it paid $400. All he wanted were the pliers to complete the tool kit on his 911 which was being entered in a concours in the near future. They were the final touch.

Don't be that guy. :-)

Steve in SLO
03-26-2016, 09:53 AM
I do have my bike in the unrestored concourse category. I have a second set of pedals which have the original toe clips and straps on them which will be mounted for the show.
I will not be that guy! :beer: