PDA

View Full Version : I love my Legend

csm
03-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Full ti, aluminum wheels. Only carbon is the fork.
I keep thinking about replacing it with a Domane or some such carbon nonsense.
Then I ride it.

That is all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

93legendti
03-24-2016, 08:03 PM
I miss mine

Bradford
03-24-2016, 08:33 PM
I still love my Legend after 12 years. And it's even better after I gave it a new set of Pacenti hoops last year.

I keep thinking about getting an Eriksen, then I ride the Legend, then I stop thinking about a new bike.

Perhaps it is because mine was designed by Dave Thompson, esteamed bike designer and tequila aficionado, or maybe Ben just made nice bikes, but it still rides like a dream.

rwsaunders
03-24-2016, 09:28 PM
I miss mine

+1...I miss mine too and the current owner has offered to sell the f/f/HS for $800...I'm thinking about it.

SleepyCyclist
03-24-2016, 09:34 PM
would love to see some pictures!

m

beercan
03-24-2016, 10:05 PM
There was a blue legend sold here I think last summer in a 52/53 cm, wish I bought it then but I knew I would be making pennies while at the fire academy so talked myself out of it.

93legendti
03-24-2016, 10:30 PM
+1...I miss mine too and the current owner has offered to sell the f/f/HS for $800...I'm thinking about it.

I would buy that in a heartbeat

happycampyer
03-24-2016, 10:31 PM
would love to see some pictures!

mAll ti:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-V5Dw2pN/0/XL/i-V5Dw2pN-XL.jpg

Tim P's cast-off coupled Uniscasi (Legend SE):

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cgw9RLq/0/XL/i-cgw9RLq-XL.jpg

Absolutely no desire for another ti bike.

93legendti
03-24-2016, 10:32 PM
^
That white Serotta is gorgeous

Nags&Ducs
03-24-2016, 11:32 PM
Concur! That white Serotta is absolutely stunning!!! Love white bikes. And what's is better than a white ti bike??

velomonkey
03-25-2016, 07:22 AM
Yea, count me in - that white Serotta is freaking proper!!!!! I'm not a huge serotta fan but that bike is owning it big time. I tend to think ti post and ti stems end up in too much ti - not on that bike. Really well done.

oldpotatoe
03-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Then I ride it.

That is all.

Sold a bunch of them when in Phinney/Keifel shop-Morgul-Bismark, and then again in ProPeloton(number one US Serotta dealer one year)..I think a high point in Serotta design and all around performance, all titanium, all steel(including price). I think if he had stuck to this, and a few steel..he may still be around..donno.

cadence90
03-25-2016, 07:41 AM
I would buy that in a heartbeat
Wild, wild, wild guess...hmmm...'93 vintage? :)

Wait, I just read your first post again. You sold yours? Why? :confused:

^
That white Serotta is gorgeous
Agree! That is stunning.
it rivals David Lee's all-white Crumpton for sheer white beauty.

I'm trying to imagine it with silver crank arms and Boone ti or Carbon-Ti ti chainrings (those Carbon-Ti Ti-Evo/Full-Ti chainrings are incredible).

cadence90
03-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Sold a bunch of them when in Phinney/Keifel shop-Morgul-Bismark, and then again in ProPeloton(number one US Serotta dealer one year)..I think a high point in Serotta design and all around performance, all titanium, all steel(including price). I think if he had stuck to this, and a few steel..he may still be around..donno.
Could very well be.
I just hope he doesn't Ibis.

93legendti
03-25-2016, 11:49 AM
Wild, wild, wild guess...hmmm...'93 vintage? :)

Wait, I just read your first post again. You sold yours? Why? :confused:

Agree! That is stunning.
it rivals David Lee's all-white Crumpton for sheer white beauty.

I'm trying to imagine it with silver crank arms and Boone ti or Carbon-Ti ti chainrings (those Carbon-Ti Ti-Evo/Full-Ti chainrings are incredible).

Good guess- I had a '93 and a 2006 ST with 42cm chain stays. The 2006 ST is the one I miss-I had an Ottrott ST and Kellogg Ti bike..

AngryScientist
03-25-2016, 11:52 AM
one of our forum members used to say something like: ride a century on it today and race the hell out of it tomorrow. the Legend is one of the finest titanium bikes ever made.

paredown
03-25-2016, 11:58 AM
Anyone in the Bay area want a Legend?

This looks like a good deal. 58cm $1000--extra tubie wheels for available too...
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/5506772748.html

SleepyCyclist
03-25-2016, 12:17 PM
wow - that looks like a great deal.

that white legend looks fantastic!

m

DfCas
03-25-2016, 01:04 PM
We're most Legends built as customs? If so, does a buyer need to be careful not to get one that was built with unusual angles or built for a very different weight rider than the buyer? Does the serial number indicate a custom?

parallelfish
03-25-2016, 01:55 PM
I had a '93 Legend - it was a complete disaster. At speed it would wobble like crazy. Braking on a descent it would shake like it was going to come apart. Right after I bought it Serotta started using a larger diameter down tube on my size.

Eventually Serotta replaced the frame. But when it arrived it was the wrong color, and the slots in the rear dropouts were undersize - would not accept an axle. I had had enough. Sent it back to Serotta and got my money back.

Several of my friends had Legends as well. Swapped bikes with them on occasion, and theirs were lovely rides. Every one of them hated mine, and could not wait to get their own bikes back. Their bikes had such comfortable rides, and mine rode like a jackhammer. Weird.

happycampyer
03-25-2016, 11:11 PM
While the '90's are often referred to as the hey-day for titanium, I think the know-how and material availability have evolved so much (even by the 2000's) that one can't really compare an early '90's ti bike to a "modern" ti bike.

We're most Legends built as customs? If so, does a buyer need to be careful not to get one that was built with unusual angles or built for a very different weight rider than the buyer? Does the serial number indicate a custom?The serial number for pretty much all Serottas indicates whether it was custom or not by starting with a "C." Not sure what percentage of Legends were custom, but there were definitely stock versions over the years (the GS versions of the different models were stock). With Legends, it's a little easier to tell how stiff the frame is going to be by the sizes of the various tubes. I bought Scott Hock's "blinglespeed" (as he affectionately called it) and each tube (other than the headtube and the bottom bracket) is several millimeters wider than the white Legend.

At some point I'll try to take a side-by-side photo of the seatstays of the white Legend next to the seatsays of the singlespeed Legend.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-zhZ7pBB/0/X2/i-zhZ7pBB-X2.jpg
Even with these Popeye-esque seatsays and larger tubes all around, this bike is surprisingly smooth. Serotta really did some remarkable things with titanium.

fogrider
03-25-2016, 11:34 PM
I had a '93 Legend - it was a complete disaster. At speed it would wobble like crazy. Braking on a descent it would shake like it was going to come apart. Right after I bought it Serotta started using a larger diameter down tube on my size.

Eventually Serotta replaced the frame. But when it arrived it was the wrong color, and the slots in the rear dropouts were undersize - would not accept an axle. I had had enough. Sent it back to Serotta and got my money back.

Several of my friends had Legends as well. Swapped bikes with them on occasion, and theirs were lovely rides. Every one of them hated mine, and could not wait to get their own bikes back. Their bikes had such comfortable rides, and mine rode like a jackhammer. Weird.

so after swapping bikes and you found that your bike rode like a jackhammer, you just kept riding your bike?

fogrider
03-25-2016, 11:38 PM
Then I ride it.

That is all.

Yeah, I love my Legend too! I ride it regularly! Mine is a finished without paint, brushed and polished. its not flashy...just rides great.