PDA

View Full Version : I can't...mount....these tires.....

Tickdoc
03-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Been trying for a week.

Open corsa 23 on fir rim.

Tried stretching.

Tried peeling over with palms.

Tried levers

Tried the step on it shoe technique.

It seems like there is about an inch ov overlay, and about six inches of flap that will not go over the rim.

My hands are sore, I'm cursing like a madman, my dog won't let me approach him.

Front tire was tough, but went on.

Back tire is going to cause me a heart attack.

And now, even if I do get it on, I'm afraid a flat would ruin me.

Suggestions?

Black Dog
03-24-2016, 05:29 PM
Did you stretch it on another wheel?

Tickdoc
03-24-2016, 05:33 PM
Did you stretch it on another wheel?

No I stepped on it like a tub ( I know your not always supposed to, but I'm getting desperate here)

jtakeda
03-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Replace the rim tape with stans no tube tape.

Read my Pacenti rim thread

MarkC
03-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Take a look at the video for how to mount tires on HED C+ rims and give that technique a try. Go without a tube first to see if it works out. If it does pop one bead off, stick tube in and you'll be good to go.

Realize its not the same rim type but give the technique a shot anyway. Those open corsa tires do fit tight. They stretch with time once mounted though so once you get them on you should be fine if fixing a flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-XFMGDO2rA

Good luck

johnmdesigner
03-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Put them in a wash bag and into the drier.
At this point I would say try another brand of tire.
Some people swear by Challenge tires. After 3 hours of trying to mount one I sold them.
If you can't get the tire on in the comfort of your own home in 5 minutes (where alcohol is handy) how are you going to feel when you get a flat?

alexstar
03-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Four words... "Kool Stop Bead Jack"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71w7Ehr-wHL._SX1000_.jpg

cmbicycles
03-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Did you put the valve stem area of the tire on last? I also pinch tire into center of the rim all the way around before wrestling the last few inches at the valve stem. Seen a few tough ones but always got the tires on that way. May want to try a "bead jack", as it may help for really tough tires.

CampyorBust
03-24-2016, 06:06 PM
Soapy water or I find a few squirts of Krud Kutter to be just the ticket. Level of rage should be measured in number of broken tire levers. My limit is two then other stuff starts to break.

warren128
03-24-2016, 06:11 PM

+1

I got one of these after too many bouts of wrestling with difficult tires and getting sore fingers and blisters. :crap:

I've used my bead jack 3 times, now, and I'm so glad that have it. :beer:

ericssonboi
03-24-2016, 06:11 PM
I've had good success with metal shop style levers.. They may leave a mark on your rim depending on the rim type...

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Heavy-Steel-Lever/dp/B000R9GG1G/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1458864624&sr=1-4&keywords=metal+bicycle+tire+lever

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/714jJ0n97TL._SL1500_.jpg

scharny
03-24-2016, 06:12 PM
When you get it set up most of the way on the rim, hit it with a hairdryer. Then stretch the bead, hairdryer again, stretch, etc.

OtayBW
03-24-2016, 06:27 PM
OK - I know I am asking for trouble here, but one time I had so much trouble that I broke out the vice grips and lightly applied them with a leather cover to a tire that was partially seated on the rim - just to hold it in place while I worked the rest of it around on the bead. Just needed a third hand and it worked great. OK - let me have it! :eek:

makoti
03-24-2016, 06:29 PM

Yes, yes, and more yes.

pdmtong
03-24-2016, 06:35 PM
make sure the beads are buried in the center of the rim in the deepest area when you go to seat the final and opposite side.

that, and the metal park levers.

Tickdoc
03-24-2016, 06:55 PM
Rim strip. I've heard this and thought, bahhhh, rim strip couldn't make a difference.

Turns out the rim had an old performance strip that was very thick, striped it off, cleaned the rim, applied a vox ultra thin strip and voila!

Put a latex tube in there just for fun, and finally I have an old set of 8sp fir rims ready to roll!

Thanks for al the suggestions.

What would I do without you all.

jtakeda
03-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Yup. I couldn't believe rim strip was the answer. Even though everyone says it is, I kept thinking "how much thinner can it actually be". The correct answer is enough to make a difference.

smead
03-24-2016, 08:40 PM
I used to use velo plugs because they advertised that they made tire mounting easier by somehow being thinner than rim strips. But the plugs stick way up, and the beads of the tire remain in the middle of the rim atop of those dern plugs when trying to make the final folds .... I cried installing PR3s on rims with velo plugs, then replaced w/ velox tape and wala - folded right on w/o levers.

berserk87
03-24-2016, 11:35 PM
I've had good success with metal shop style levers.. They may leave a mark on your rim depending on the rim type...

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Heavy-Steel-Lever/dp/B000R9GG1G/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1458864624&sr=1-4&keywords=metal+bicycle+tire+lever

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/714jJ0n97TL._SL1500_.jpg

I bought a set of these for laughs. I have used them, once. I found that if I need levers of this strength and length, then I have the wrong tire or rim. I had a set of wheels with Velocity A23's and I could not get tires on and off of those darned things. Tried with 2 different types of rim tape and no dice. One change of a flat on the road took 3 of us to get the tire on. At home it took the mongo levers pictured, and even then, barely.

Finally lost my mind a couple of weeks ago, during a routine tire swap, and took snips to the spokes and cut the hubs out. Sent the hubs to Old Potatoe for a rebuild with some rims that I can handle (DT Swiss). Just got them back today and tires went on easily, thank goodness. Going to ride them tomorrow.

Neil
03-25-2016, 01:42 AM
OK - I know I am asking for trouble here, but one time I had so much trouble that I broke out the vice grips and lightly applied them with a leather cover to a tire that was partially seated on the rim - just to hold it in place while I worked the rest of it around on the bead. Just needed a third hand and it worked great. OK - let me have it! :eek:

Here's how I did that - toe strap and a lever, the toe strap stops the lever from being fired out by the bead coming up and over the rim wall:

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12819077_479578355586682_1045272558_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTE5OTg2MDQyNzg5NDI1MjQ5Nw%3D%3D.2

That's a Challenge Strada Bianca on an ENVE XC 29er rim. Unbelievably hard to mount.

oldpotatoe
03-25-2016, 05:16 AM
Been trying for a week.

Open corsa 23 on fir rim.

Tried stretching.

Tried peeling over with palms.

Tried levers

Tried the step on it shoe technique.

It seems like there is about an inch ov overlay, and about six inches of flap that will not go over the rim.

My hands are sore, I'm cursing like a madman, my dog won't let me approach him.

Front tire was tough, but went on.

Back tire is going to cause me a heart attack.

And now, even if I do get it on, I'm afraid a flat would ruin me.

Suggestions?

Not sure they ever made one but sure it's not a 27 inch rim?

Never mind, asked and answered.

OtayBW
03-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Here's how I did that - toe strap and a lever, the toe strap stops the lever from being fired out by the bead coming up and over the rim wall:

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12819077_479578355586682_1045272558_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTE5OTg2MDQyNzg5NDI1MjQ5Nw%3D%3D.2

That's a Challenge Strada Bianca on an ENVE XC 29er rim. Unbelievably hard to mount.
Yep - that works. Nice thinking out of the box!

R3awak3n
03-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Those park metal levers look like they are gonna scratch the crap out of the rim. I say leave them out in the sun for while. Patience and they will go in and when you do have a flat they will be streched enough that they wont be a problem.

berserk87
03-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Those park metal levers look like they are gonna scratch the crap out of the rim. I say leave them out in the sun for while. Patience and they will go in and when you do have a flat they will be streched enough that they wont be a problem.

They are bruisers. I would not recommend using them on your 'Sunday going to meetin' wheels.

bcroslin
03-25-2016, 10:30 AM

I will second this advice. I have a set of 23mm wide carbon wheels and getting 23mm tires on them is damn near impossible. If it wasn't for the bead jack I would have thrown them away.

earlfoss
03-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Any tips for mounting Continental Competition tubulars? They are insanely tight and almost impossible to get on even after a MONTH of stretching on an old rim. I just don't get it.

I love these tires but damn! I had the rim strip issue the OP had with some clinchers too. Pretty weird that something that seems so thin would cause such craziness.

co1111
04-02-2016, 08:12 PM
I just mounted some Babyshoes on Pacenti rims, and it was a bear. I did get them on using rubbing alcohol instead of soapy water, before I tried the dryer. But I'm worried about roadside repairs. Rim tape is Stans Notube.
Does the initial install stretch them enough to be confident that I'll be good, or should I carry a bead jack? Doesn't look too cumbersome.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gummee
04-02-2016, 09:34 PM
+1

I got one of these after too many bouts of wrestling with difficult tires and getting sore fingers and blisters. :crap:

I've used my bead jack 3 times, now, and I'm so glad that have it. :beer:

bought one of those 'back when.' 19c Supercomp HDs were a bear to mount on a few wheels I had.

Buddy of mine broke that one about a decade later and I quickly bought another one. Don't use it often, but when it's needed, its *really* needed

M

regularguy412
04-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Any tips for mounting Continental Competition tubulars? They are insanely tight and almost impossible to get on even after a MONTH of stretching on an old rim. I just don't get it.

I love these tires but damn! I had the rim strip issue the OP had with some clinchers too. Pretty weird that something that seems so thin would cause such craziness.

Disclaimer: I've only ever used Conti Competition tires. 19mm,, if that makes any difference. Only other tire I've mounted is a Conti LA (yep, that long ago) 23mm -- it's my spare.

IMHO,, best thing to do is A) like you've done already, put on a stretching rim ( I like to use a clincher rim cuz it's easier to mount first time). B) pump up to 120 psi or so and let stand for a week or two. C) when you're ready to really mount the tire on your tubular rim, put it in the clothes dryer and heat it for about 20 minutes. (My dryer came with an insertable tray for drying shoes,, and I lay the coiled, pre-stretched tire on it so it doesn't bounce around in the dryer and leave black marks all over -- if yer married or have a significant other, this will be KEY).

So now with the tire pre-stretched AND heated, it will be MUCH easier to mount. Use whatever mounting steps (gluing, taping, etc) that you normally use. Be advised that the tire should be HOT to the touch so some jersey gloves may be advisable.

Typically, my next moves are: 1) put one thin coat of glue on the rim and let it flash for about 15 minutes. (I'll often do this first part WHILE the tire is heating in the dryer), 2) after the flash,, put on one more thin coat of glue on the rim (note that I use NONE on the base tape/tire, because the difficulty of mounting the tire causes a huge mess and about half the glue goes either on me, the rim brake track or my pants), 3) put the valve stem thru the rim hole and begin the mount ( I NEVER put any air whatsoever in the tire at this point), 4) after getting the last of the base tape in the channel of the rim, adjust the tape to center the tire on the rim, 5) add about 30 psi of air to the tire and roll the tire/rim on a broomstick or just across the floor to press the base tape into the rim evenly 6) if it all looks good, pump it up to 130psi and let stand overnight to cure.

Been doing it this way for over 25 yrs and no roll offs,,, but YMMV.

Hope this helps,
Mike in AR:beer:

weisan
04-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Mike pal, following your "method", do you put any glue on the spare you carry on the ride?

bicycletricycle
04-03-2016, 07:43 AM
If they are that hard to put on I would not use them, imagine trying to fix a flat on the road.

regularguy412
04-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Mike pal, following your "method", do you put any glue on the spare you carry on the ride?

Yes. It's a previously glued/ridden tire. I wouldn't want to use a previously untested tire as a spare -- 'specially since I typically only carry one spare tub with me. (not quite 'that' crazy) :) There is a film of glue adhered to the base tape, but I don't take downhill corners at 35 mph on the spare. ;)

MIke in AR:beer:

regularguy412
04-03-2016, 09:53 AM
If they are that hard to put on I would not use them, imagine trying to fix a flat on the road.

You're more correct than you know, but I do like the extra security of knowing that if they're 'that' hard going on, they'll be 'that' hard to come off. I always take at least 2 tire levers with me. I forgot to do that one day, and wore blisters on both thumbs before I finally got the flatted tire off. Luckily, I wasn't out on the road, just in a parking lot waiting for the rest of the group to show up to ride. Even with the levers having gotten 'purchase' with a portion removed, it is still tough going to pull the tire off the rim. I use Continental glue (yah, even on carbon rims,, I prefer not to use the carbon-specific Conti glue). I've never had a delamination issue on my Easton EC90SLs when replacing tires using this method, either.

Mike in AR:beer:

dgauthier
04-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Rim strip.(. . .)

Hey, good on you! I use Velox rim strips, and I *still* have a heck of a time mounting new Veloflex tires on Open Pro rims.

Since no one has mentioned it, I find soapy water works wonders when trying to seat that last little bit. Being careful not to get any on the outside of the tire, just wipe a bit of soapy water between the bead and the rim, get behind it, put both hands on the tire and pull. Snaps right in with ease. The difference with and without the soapy water is like night and day.

doublenines
04-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Very informative, thanks for all the tips. My 2 go to solutions have been:
1) invite a buddy over for a beer or whiskey (depending on the buddy or the mood) and just muscle the thing on.

2) use a hot heat gun to soften the tire; have only done this as a last resort once.

Been looking for that Kool Stop gadget for a bit and couldn't remember the name. So thanks for posting.

ColonelJLloyd
04-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Everyone should stop using cloth rim strips. There is no longer good reason to do so. If it's cheaper than Stan's (or equivalent) it is nominally so. Tubeless tape is thin and helps all tires seat and it doesn't hold moisture contributing to eyelet rust on older rims.

Bostic
04-03-2016, 03:03 PM
On a road rim that is never going to run tubeless do you have to do 2 layers of stans tape?