PDA

View Full Version : The not quite Imelda Marcos road shoe story and thread

Elefantino
03-24-2016, 12:42 PM
So my wife had grown out of love with her two pairs of Spesh road shoes and wanted something more comfortable. Something about feet changing with age. (Quote me on that last sentence and I will deny it. :D)

So we tried various brands we had on hand: a couple of Shimanos, a Giro, some Garneaus. All were a big negatory. Good thing we have a liberal return policy.

Now I have been wearing adidas since the mid-2000s; I still have three pairs left of the four I bought, one unopened. I also have a pair of Mavics, built on the same last. So the wife says she wanted to try Mavics because of the mesh toe box. Unfortunately, Mavic's new women's shoes don't have an all-mesh toe; there's a strip of pleather down the middle, as in most shoes. Their older women's top-of-the-lines, the Zxenons (who names these things?) had them, but they've been out of production for a year.

Longer story somewhat less long, I found a pair in her size (42) at a place called Bikewagon for $80 on 70 percent off closeout and bought them for her to try. She loves them. Best shoes ever. So, naturally, I had to get another pair. This took some more doing. A bit of a search found a pair of 42s in a bike shop in Toulouse. As in France. Bought those, and they're on their way.

Are others of you as particular about your shoes that you will go to such Herculean, honey-you-are-the-greatest-ever-and-of-course-you-can-get-that-Super-Record-EPS-group lengths?

cdn_bacon
03-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Heck yes. I'm in the same boat. The Giro's without the superfit insoles fit me the best. If it came down to it, I'd buy them from anywhere far. just think of the amount of km's you'll put on them comfortably. I can justify it.:cool:

bfd
03-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Don't show her these....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/qCvsszgoJXqARdGxyUQjrWSX6LB-7dA8xBQEeXpb-oRwCtuvg7vxHKHrkK3HCJZ8jiF1crHBfY4ALZ4RkJk-XdwDYLdZRGJgL5QOZb2ndhgJ28A5fFkwnFcNv94uTGpx9cSWKa Nfad5BEopux8aosKy_1sUHHtIs_mJ4__Z0uZTcJeGWE2jh-jvX4IkYHrG6ie3GrohqdoW8v2fyTLoMe-IoI5lLrr5D2IWObBToANO5UM3uVWVLTenktjgKH5kR2d40avHs stIBG0mM3jUBPnx2CG6Q_X4eDkW5DCGf2LG7aocK-lxfHlXU7EYDuDWf8zROXyQpG71yYHsyOVl4a-WF6nRvmjSkpygS-S_Zxr7qyORPDQgxsVeGyZ1__n9nQ980BmaKY2JT9AtRtADQ2e0 gCZ9WJToLlFSq5APUkLNc9gDu1iSKQX5Na9n44RgrzUO8WgH6L CxRrgD7xq6xHrKfRwndXzVtb5DzK5XkBVPQHybqfXSkALy5FwP TcQNkbspEKSD8nfIrDVqmJyNWI9K0OBebBkf-OwXOdTjOpMLx9ZZvElYrkZfABJgAXd9GtTho=w477-h318-no

Lightest. Shoes. Ever.

Good Luck!