PDA

View Full Version : Prescription sunglasses

stephenmarklay
03-24-2016, 07:58 AM
I can't deny it anymore my eyesight is going south. When riding my mountain bike I feel like my lack of clarity makes things harder to judge specially. I have had glasses hat I have ever worn for about a dozen years.

I know noting about what to look do in glasses I can use for riding it I'm guessing a lot of you do. Any recommendations?

ptourkin
03-24-2016, 08:02 AM
There was a post about two weeks ago. I'm very happy with my prescription Oakley Racing Jackets thru SportRx here in San Diego - I have two sets of lenses - regular and photochromatic for endurance racing and once you get used to the curve, they are great. Mine are single vision. Others had suggestions about progressive and bifocal.

stephenmarklay
03-24-2016, 08:04 AM
Awesome. Thank you.

chiasticon
03-24-2016, 08:09 AM
I've been using a couple pairs of prescription lenses for my Oakley Racing Jackets for a few years now. love 'em. clear for night, VR28 Black Iridium tint for everything else. I know you can also get "inserts" for various lenses. generally the ones that don't have separate lenses for each eye (see image below). which are probably fine but I've also heard of people having fog build up between the lenses. I don't like they way they look anyway so I stick to the ones with two lenses and having the prescription in each.

there's a few places online you can order from, but if you have vision insurance and a local optometrist that sells Oakley, you can maybe use your insurance towards it. and of course other brands have options as well; I know Rudy and Adidas do but I'm sure there are others.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l79/user_manutd/IMAG0396.jpg

benb
03-24-2016, 08:13 AM
If you're not even wearing glasses right now the first step is obviously to go to the doctor and figure out what is going on. Once you have a prescription then you can go from there.

If your prescription is really mild (and it might be if you're brand new to glasses) you may be able to just get some prescription Oakley's right from your doctor. That route tends to only work for really mild prescriptions though.

My prescription is about -4.75, mostly astigmatism, and the eye doctor generally can't put me in wrap around glasses that are ideal for cycling. I had two pairs of prescription Oakley's that were OK but not great as they weren't the really high coverage ones. The usual issue with normal glasses is they don't do a great job at keeping bugs and dirt out of your eyes and for me above certain speeds particularly when it's cold my eyes will start to water enough I have to slow down. I never had it happen in a group ride or race amazingly but I pretty regularly have to stop on rides when something gets in my eye. Not ever ride but 1-2 times a month maybe.

The usual forum answer to that is Sports Optical in Colorado. My prescription has finally stabilized so I'm in the process of working with them over the phone to get some Rudy Project glasses for cycling. I'm fairly excited although it's not going to turn out any cheaper than my normal eye glasses AFAICT. I'm hoping they're a huge improvement in terms of protecting my eyes and avoiding tearing.

I had gone through the "prescription lens behind main lens" thing for snowboarding and it was pretty terrible (fogging) so I've never tried inserts.

Dired
03-24-2016, 08:16 AM
I've been using a Rudy Project Zyon with a prescription insert. The insert makes it relatively affordable and still lets you swap the colored lenses based on conditions.

christian
03-24-2016, 08:18 AM
The usual forum answer to that is Sports Optical in Colorado. My prescription has finally stabilized so I'm in the process of working with them over the phone to get some Rudy Project glasses for cycling. I'm fairly excited although it's not going to turn out any cheaper than my normal eye glasses AFAICT. I used Sports Optical. And I love them. Best customer service experience and results I've ever experienced.

benb
03-24-2016, 08:20 AM
I've been using a Rudy Project Zyon with a prescription insert. The insert makes it relatively affordable and still lets you swap the colored lenses based on conditions.

Curious what relatively affordable was... most of my Rx eye glasses have been in the $500-600 range. I think Sports Optical with Rudy Project Rydon frames plus prescription lenses without inserts is going to be the same. (Frame appears to be $243 which is actually pretty expensive IMO.) I have a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses which I think would have been $700+ without any insurance or anything. They're great glasses, but not great for cycling and the price mostly seems to be fashion.

Eyeglass prices are generally pretty horrible IMO. At least my prescription seems to have stabilized.

Bruce K
03-24-2016, 08:21 AM
Several threads if you search the forum

I like my Rudy Rydons from Sports Optical in Denver

Long time customer through multiple iterations of prescriptions.

I just had single lenses made for 3 different lens sets as my right eye has "improved" while my left eye remains the same

Couldn't do transitions because technology has changed and couldn't do my yellows because the tint shade has changed. :mad:

But for my others you can't beat their customer service !! :banana:

BK

benb
03-24-2016, 08:25 AM
I will say one thing, now that I've tried on the Rudy project frames without the right Rx lenses I sure like them better than the 2 pairs of Oakley frames I had.

I never had my Oakley's completely fall off while bicycling but they sure did not like to stay in place. I'm sure they're all different and everyone's head is different but for me the Oakley frames really moved a lot if I looked down towards the ground. The Rudy's I tried on I could shake my head hard and they didn't budge, although the true test is when you're sweaty.

Dired
03-24-2016, 08:53 AM

Paid $300 in 2010 for Zyon frames, 3 lenses, insert, and a bunch of their promo stuff. The RX lenses were about $150, I don't recall the thickness but don't think that the insert requires anything fancy.

Dired
03-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Have you tried contacts? For occasional use this might be a more cost effective option.

Lewis Moon
03-24-2016, 09:26 AM
I have a pair of Oakley Yard Dogs
http://imgs.coastal.com/Product/glasses/img/oakley/oakley-yarddog-ii-1093-07-satin-black-silver+me++productPageLarge.jpg

They work passably as a pair of riding glasses and I wear them from the time I roll out of bed in the AM until I roll back in at night. The lenses are photogray with progressive bifocals. I'm going to get the same again next time.

Here's a pic of some complete wanker in an older version:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PtTWHK22McY/maxresdefault.jpg

chiasticon
03-24-2016, 09:33 AM
fwiw, I used Sports Vision Bend out of Oregon. took less than a week from order placed to lenses in hand; nice people too. I paid around $300ish for just lenses (clear was cheaper, tinted more). not terrible, not great.

stephenmarklay
03-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Wow you guys are awesome. I am going check out sports optical.

I have a couple of follow up questions with this new information. First, do you generally go try on the frames somewhere local ( like say the Rudy glasses) and the after settling on a fit order?

Also, when I went to the eye doctor he knew that I did not wear my current glasses so he said it may be better to not fill my prescription with the best clarity as it may may perception worse (perhaps its my astigmatism). So he recommends is a couple of clicks down (whatever that means.) My biggest complaint is that I felt like I could not walk without feeling of balance etc.
Having said that I am wearing those 12 year old glasses and its not a problem now.

stephenmarklay
03-24-2016, 09:39 AM
I have a pair of Oakley Yard Dogs
http://imgs.coastal.com/Product/glasses/img/oakley/oakley-yarddog-ii-1093-07-satin-black-silver+me++productPageLarge.jpg

They work passably as a pair of riding glasses and I wear them from the time I roll out of bed in the AM until I roll back in at night. The lenses are photogray with progressive bifocals. I'm going to get the same again next time.

Here's a pic of some complete wanker in an older version:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PtTWHK22McY/maxresdefault.jpg

Thank you for this. I actually need reading glasses also but was thinking about just getting two pair. Do progress bifocals work well?

crossjunkee
03-24-2016, 09:40 AM
Prescription Oakley's for me too. Purchased through Lens Crafters and I could use my insurance. The price was around $250. even with insurance. But I'm so glad I got them and not sure why I waited so long.

I also hear nothing about good things about Sports Optical in Denver.

Dired
03-24-2016, 09:46 AM
Also, when I went to the eye doctor he knew that I did not wear my current glasses so he said it may be better to not fill my prescription with the best clarity as it may may perception worse (perhaps its my astigmatism). So he recommends is a couple of clicks down (whatever that means.) My biggest complaint is that I felt like I could not walk without feeling of balance etc. Having said that I am wearing those 12 year old glasses and its not a problem now.

I would update the normal use pair to whatever the doctor recommends and when they feel "right", use the same prescription for the sports glasses.

benb
03-24-2016, 09:49 AM
Wow you guys are awesome. I am going check out sports optical.

I have a couple of follow up questions with this new information. First, do you generally go try on the frames somewhere local ( like say the Rudy glasses) and the after settling on a fit order?

I am going through this right now, Sports Optical had me go look for Rudy Project dealers locally.. I pretty much struck out but I did get to try on a couple pairs that Sports Optical didn't want my prescription in, and so I was able to try something that fit right enough that they were able to tell what I would fit in. For astigmatism they also have something else they want you to do which I've never done, they send out some glasses with your selected frame and there is some procedure you mark them up and send them back and they use this data to optimize the lenses. I don't know much about it since the glasses haven't shown up yet.

Also, when I went to the eye doctor he knew that I did not wear my current glasses so he said it may be better to not fill my prescription with the best clarity as it may may perception worse (perhaps its my astigmatism). So he recommends is a couple of clicks down (whatever that means.) My biggest complaint is that I felt like I could not walk without feeling of balance etc.
Having said that I am wearing those 12 year old glasses and its not a problem now.

I have mostly astigmatism. My eye doctor calls this effect "compensation". Basically over the last 10 years they kept adding a couple more "clicks" till as of last year I was finally at the "real" prescription. There was never anything going on with me saying anything is wrong, it's just when I looked through the lenses in the manual part of the test I would prefer the weaker correction compared to what the computerized system said the ideal prescription is. My doctor says this is common with astigmatism.. for some reason we prefer less than ideal correction and each time you get glasses you prefer a bit more till you're finally used to the full prescription?

As for balance, etc.. I have had that too and my impression is your prescription might be wrong in some other way. I had dizziness and headaches once and the doctor had gotten the axis of the cylinder correction slightly wrong. You shouldn't put up with that but IME the doctor was a big pain and didn't want to fix the issue and I ended up having to go somewhere else. I think it was relatively easy to tell for me.. IIRC the axis had been stable on the prescription over 5-10 years but the cylinder was changing then this one doctor decided the axis needed to be different. It didn't work, I got back to the other (correct) axis and the problem went away and I don't think any doctor has tried to change the axis ever again. I was moving around and had seen different doctors.. much better results seeing the same doctor the past 4-5 years for me.

Lewis Moon
03-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Thank you for this. I actually need reading glasses also but was thinking about just getting two pair. Do progress bifocals work well?

Really well. Really really well.

For me. Some people hate them (my wife for one). They were an epiphany for me. I absolutely love them. You see well at all distances, from your Garmin to the next mountain range.

deechee
03-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Cavendish isn't wearing Yard dogs, those are Crosslinks. I have a pair which I absolutely love for indoor training and yoga. The one downside though is the rubber on the arms are not removeable like the sunglasses. You have to buy the whole arm, which annoyingly is at least once a year because the grease from inside always leaks out. (Lots of complaints online.) I've gone through three pairs of arms already, but its worth it. I shower with them at the gym. No stupid little screws at the hinges or fragile nose pieces. The Yard Dogs and other models look similar, but they're nowhere near as durable for sports.

http://static1.eyewearbrands.com/images/74000/73705/list_802711crosslink.jpg

I thought I had posted a pic here before but I can't find it. I had a pair of Rudy Keytums made from Sports Optical, and honestly, I rarely use them anymore. They ended up way too heavy and clunky. They were well made n' all, but my regular glasses are 1.67 index lenses, the Sports Opticals felt like coke bottles on my face. I recently had a pair of regular sunglasses made with Nikon 1.6 tinted lenses and they're awesome. For me, lightweight is critical. I'll take a non-wrap lens over a regular one any day now if its lighter.

Regarding the distorted feeling, I believe it can have to do with where the lens is centered (ie. your pupilary distance). I have a feeling my Sports Opticals were also a bit off, which made me not enjoy them as much. I went to the store in person in Colorado while in town for a conference, but they didn't do any measurements themselves. So I never bothered with after-sales support, but I wasn't impressed or anything. So despite people's success with online shopping, I prefer sticking to my optometrist for my glasses.

djg21
03-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Several threads if you search the forum

I like my Rudy Rydons from Sports Optical in Denver

Long time customer through multiple iterations of prescriptions.

I just had single lenses made for 3 different lens sets as my right eye has "improved" while my left eye remains the same

Couldn't do transitions because technology has changed and couldn't do my yellows because the tint shade has changed. :mad:

But for my others you can't beat their customer service !! :banana:

BK

I have a 10 yr-old set of Ketyeums with the insert and multiple lenses. I just got a new pair of prescription Rydons with the photochromatic lens. I was using the photochromatic lense all the time with the insert, so figured I might as well get the single lens. It is great. It isn't as prone to fogging like the lens and insert are together, and I can use them in the late afternoon into dusk, and even at night when I use a light. I still have the Ketyeums If I ever have a need colored lenses of any kind, but thus far I've not found a need.

I love the Rudys.

benb
03-24-2016, 01:33 PM
I thought I had posted a pic here before but I can't find it. I had a pair of Rudy Keytums made from Sports Optical, and honestly, I rarely use them anymore. They ended up way too heavy and clunky. They were well made n' all, but my regular glasses are 1.67 index lenses, the Sports Opticals felt like coke bottles on my face. I recently had a pair of regular sunglasses made with Nikon 1.6 tinted lenses and they're awesome. For me, lightweight is critical. I'll take a non-wrap lens over a regular one any day now if its lighter.

What was the total power of your prescription? I think you posted a picture of your Rx Ketyums didn't you? They did look thick.

The Oakley's you posted are a lot like one of the pairs I had. Overall they were probably the better pair of the 2 pairs of Oakleys' I had, the big chunky frames give decent wind protection. The molded in non-adjustable nose pads are pretty far from ideal for sports though.. those glasses really didn't stay in place well for me. Not horrible for road riding though.

My 2nd pair of Oakley's had the replaceable rubber things on the temples.. those were good when they were new but the "unobtanium" or whatever wore out fast and I kept having to change out the rubber which was annoying... they also dug into your head a lot if you had them adjusted tight enough to keep them on your face.

I would much rather have the traditional style that bends around your ear than the Oakley straight temples for the most part.

choke
03-24-2016, 01:41 PM
I am a fan of Wiley X glasses. I have a few pair that I've purchased from http://www.framesdirect.com/ They often have the lenses on sale which makes for a very good price.

I also have a pair of Rudy Projects and can't say enough good things about them. You can order direct from RP.

Peter P.
03-24-2016, 06:44 PM
I have a pair of Oakley Half Jackets with progressive bifocal lenses from Sports Optical.

I originally had Flak Jackets but they were too large for me and kept slipping down my nose while I rode.

I switched to Half Jackets, which fit my small, size 7 head better and held on.

Problem is, they don't sit high enough on my face while riding so I look into the top of the frame. I gave up riding with them for this reason.

Sports Optical got the prescription right and were great to deal with.

avalonracing
03-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Sport RX has made me a few pair of Smith glasses that I use for motorcycling and I've been very happy with their service.

stephenmarklay
03-24-2016, 07:30 PM
I can’t thank you guys enough. I feel like I went for 0-60 in 3 seconds flat on my glassed knowledge.

Much appreciated.

buddybikes
03-24-2016, 07:31 PM
Another thing you need to try on locally, I was going to get a second set of oakleys, and eyeware shop I use said "no!" the fixed nosepad will result in the glasses touching my eyelids and sweat dripping.

Personally I use Rudy Horus - the lens pops out so easiy changable. Really use them because they fit and I like to use Drivewear lenses that are photochromic and polarized. great for woods riding. Worth trying on if you can find. Drivewear is meant for hardcore drivers that want an adaptable lens which change inside the car.

shovelhd
03-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Rudy Stratofly, through my local optometrist. Progressive, polarized, coated, Transitions. Big bucks. Worth every single penny. Totally transforms riding, and I use them for officiating too.

Progressives took me quite a while to adapt to. I had some mild vertigo for about a month until my brain got used to them.

EPOJoe
03-24-2016, 07:40 PM
On the super-cheap end of the spectrum, and if you just need basic magnification, I picked up a pair of these dirt-cheap wonders and I was so amazed at the quality of the optics (very respectable and sometimes better than my prescription glasses) I ordered a few extra pair.

http://www.readers.com/The-Declan-Flexible-Sun-Reader.html?on=Black%2FSmoke~%2B1.00&source=igodigital

Louis
03-24-2016, 07:42 PM
+ whatever we're up to for Sports Optical in Denver

http://www.sportsoptical.com/

I too had a great experience with them and my prescription is a tough as them come for this sort of thing. (somewhere around -10 in one eye and -11 in the other)

Brian Cdn
03-24-2016, 10:21 PM
I'm dependent on wearing glasses for everything and a big fan of Adidas frames and lenses. I have a pair of Evil Eye half-rims and a pair of Adizero Tempo frames. Both with prescription inserts.

Lenses on both frames are easy in snap in and out as are the inserts. Adjustable height arms on both frame styles which tunes the frames for a perfect fit. I find that cleaning lenses and inserts is pretty easy by just removing the lenses and leaving the inserts in the frame.

twors
03-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Rudy Stratofly with their top end impactx2 photochromic lens. Mine are clear to racing red. Optics are very nice, frames dont slip on my face and provide excellent protection from the wind. Photochromic lens gets me home after the sun sets too.

deechee
03-27-2016, 10:17 AM
The curvature of the Rudys results in very chunky lenses vs the slight curvature of the Oakleys, or even flat frames.

http://i66.tinypic.com/swwfna.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/992lol.jp

downtube
03-27-2016, 10:40 AM
I had progressives but now use single vision. The single vision seem to be better overall for my riding.

buddybikes
03-27-2016, 10:51 AM
thickness of lense has to do with your choice of material. cr-39 great optics but thick, poly won't break but thinner, hi index - kind of best of all but most expensive.

Idris Icabod
03-27-2016, 10:59 AM
I've had several pairs of Oakleys and purchase at Lenscrafters. My local store is super helpful but they also sell me a 1 year warranty for $35 (I think it was $25 when I first started going there). I am usually suspicious of warranties (Laz-e-boys is the worst) as they always seem to have an exclusion that applies to whatever you are applying it under. The Lenscrafters warranty is amazing, I've used it twice. First time I drove off with my glasses on top of my car, they fell off on a busy road and got crushed by the next 500 or so cars. Luckily I found some of the pieces, took them back to Lenscrafters and they gave me a new set! Another pair I face-planted whilst mountain biking and scratched frames and lenses up, again no questions asked replaced them (couldn't help me with the broken collarbone and ribs however).

Seramount
03-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Rudy Project Rydon IIs...polarized, prog bi-focal lenses.

after years of riding with my everyday glasses with magnetic clip-on sunshades, moving up to dedicated cycling sunglasses was a HUGE improvement. better vision, better wind protection, better aesthetics...just better in every way.

even with a fairly hefty price-tag, they are a totally worthwhile expense.

mtb_frk
08-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Like most things, using the search function on here turns up a bunch of great info.

I've finally decided I am tired of using contacts that never seem to work as good as my regular glasses and am going to look into getting some perscription lenses. For anyone that used sports optical, about how long did the whole process take?

Louis
08-06-2016, 10:48 PM
For anyone that used sports optical, about how long did the whole process take?

Not long at all. I can't remember exactly, but I know it wasn't enough for me to think "Hmm, I wonder why it's going to take so long?"

Assuming the frames and lenses you need are readily available I doubt it would take longer than 10-12 working days for them to be at your door.

oldpotatoe
08-07-2016, 05:49 AM
Like most things, using the search function on here turns up a bunch of great info.

I've finally decided I am tired of using contacts that never seem to work as good as my regular glasses and am going to look into getting some perscription lenses. For anyone that used sports optical, about how long did the whole process take?

I went into LensCrafters here in Boulder and just got a pair of single vision Oakleys..they are amazing and took about 4 days.

gone
08-07-2016, 05:59 AM
Not long at all. I can't remember exactly, but I know it wasn't enough for me to think "Hmm, I wonder why it's going to take so long?"

Assuming the frames and lenses you need are readily available I doubt it would take longer than 10-12 working days for them to be at your door.

I currently have a pair in process with sports optical, a little over 3 weeks thus far and according to them a week away. Oakley rydon frames with progressive/transition lenses.

Greg

mtb_frk
08-07-2016, 07:08 AM
I went into LensCrafters here in Boulder and just got a pair of single vision Oakleys..they are amazing and took about 4 days.

Which model did you get?

carpediemracing
08-07-2016, 08:31 AM

If you can ride without your glasses on then your vision isn't that bad relative to me. My focal point without glasses is a few inches in front of my eyeball.

One of my "rites of passage" of a new stronger prescription is the feeling that I'm higher off the ground. Not sure if that's the balance thing you're talking about.

My last set of glasses were progressive, for reading. I gave up on them, they don't seem to help, even if I look down through the bottom of the lens.

However when I tried on some older pair of glasses I got a bit dizzy. So that could be it as well.

As far as trying on stuff I think it's poor form to try on stuff at a store with the express intent buy them elsewhere. On the other hand a store that cannot really sell you the product (bike shop or a sporting good store), that somehow seems less bad.

I go see an optometrist who is a cyclist. His whole shop is covered in posters of cyclists (framed and all that, very tastefully done). He quickened up the process because he was familiar with how frames fit faces. "This one will bring your eyes close to the lens", I try it on, eyelashes brush lenses. Etc. It's like going to a good bike shop, they can steer you in the right direction, quickly and efficiently.

For my eyes I use a "flat" profile glasses, aka a regular set of glasses, for everything.

I bought transition lenses (changes tint in sunlight) but if wearing a helmet/cap/hat they don't end up in the sun so they don't change. I found them less than ideal so didn't buy them again. They happen to be in a pair of Oakley prescription frames (flat profile).

I no longer mountain bike but the thing for me off road was the visor for "eye vs branches". Without a visor if I ducked my head a lower branch would slide down the front of the helmet and end up between my glasses and my helmet. With the visor it either goes up or hits the lower part of my face, which is fine.

On the road apparently I don't know what I'm missing because I'm okay with my plain prescription frames.

oldpotatoe
08-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Which model did you get?

I don't know, don't have them here, flak jacket? I don't know, separate lenses.

The guy also mentioned that if I wanted to source the frames, they would still be happy to do the lenses...

Walter
08-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Let me offer another endorsement for Sports Optical in Denver. They worked with me on the phone to find the right frame make & model for my face size and shape. The glasses have worked perfectly. I have a progressive Rx and a transition tint.

I had to replace a lens when a Rx changed for one eye. Great customer service.

buddybikes
08-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Just put on the Oakley Flak 2.0 ( not original) with Road Prizm, wlll be my next set if my script can be done.

mtb_frk
08-07-2016, 01:17 PM
I don't know, don't have them here, flak jacket? I don't know, separate lenses.

The guy also mentioned that if I wanted to source the frames, they would still be happy to do the lenses...

Ok I was just wondering because it looked that was only cycling model on lens crafters webpage, but it didn't say anything about the perscription lens.

choke
08-07-2016, 03:30 PM
I recently purchased some Rx Bolle Bolt S glasses from Frames Direct (http://www.framesdirect.com) and I'm extremely happy with them.

They often run promotions, right now they have 50% off on lenses (same as when I purchased) so the price is very good; my total was right at $260 with TNS Fire w/AR lenses.

oldpotatoe
08-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Ok I was just wondering because it looked that was only cycling model on lens crafters webpage, but it didn't say anything about the perscription lens.

Went in and asked if they had Rx cycling glasses, he said sure, this frame and choice of tints, polarization, etc. About $510 total.