PDA

View Full Version : E3 Harelbeke & Gent-Wevelgem (Picks, discussion and spoilers)

MattTuck
03-24-2016, 07:48 AM
We've got E3 tomorrow and Gent-Wevelgem on Sunday.

Recon Ride with Cosmo Catalano and Dane Cash (http://cyclocosm.com/)

There's snow on the ground, so I need to live vicariously through these races :)

Gent-Wevelgem last year is probably my favorite race of all time. I'm not sure anything can live up to that, but it is a good weekend for cycling!

MattTuck
03-25-2016, 06:12 AM
They're rolling.

For those that can't get enough of the bergs... Note that the Kapelberg climb is distinct from the Kapelmuur climb, despite the similar names.

177 km Katteberg 600m 6,7%
114 km La Houppe 3.440m 10%
98 km Oude Kruisberg 800m 4,8%
90 km Knokteberg 1.530m 5,3%
86 km Hotondberg 1.200m 4%
79 km Kortekeer 1.000m 6,4%
74 km Taaienberg 650m 9,5%
68 km Boigneberg 2.180m 5,8%
63 km Eikenberg 1.200m 5,5%
58 km Stationberg 460m 3,2%
46 km Kapelberg 900m 4%
42 km Paterberg 700m 12%
37 km Oude Kwaremont 2.200m 4,2%
31 km Karnemelkbeekstraat 1.530m 4,9%
20 km Tiegemberg 1.000m 6,5%

MattTuck
03-25-2016, 07:21 AM
Also, GVA didn't race. stomach bug.

nooneline
03-25-2016, 07:42 AM
thanks for the bergenlist!

i woke up to the GVA news. my Velogames team is in shambles ALREADY. it's too bad, cause E3 is a perfect race for the rider that GVA wants to be, but hopefully he'll be up for a shot at GW - and fresher too?

Cancellara has had a history of storming his way to incredible E3 victories in some of his biggest years, so today ought to be a good form check for him in his final campaign.

MattTuck
03-25-2016, 07:52 AM
eurosport feed (http://www.fixalen.tv/20140726/vv-856731--53d3b3fc0148e6.42589826.html)

I generally don't post these links, because there is a high risk of malware. So, use at your own risk.

guido
03-25-2016, 08:41 AM
Mechanical for Cancellara. Man that must hurt...

MattTuck
03-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Did Tony Martin just ride all the other EQS riders out of the front group?

nooneline
03-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Etixx sure is driving to stay away from Cancellara. Who's their protected rider? Terpstra?

Cancellara - man - he sure goes down swinging, doesn't he?

guido
03-25-2016, 09:19 AM
Cancellara -- Most fighting spirit in the sport. Going to be so different to watch the classics next year...

guido
03-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Fabian is back in the lead group. Wow!

nathanong87
03-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Fabian is back in the lead group. Wow!

good strategy trek !

rnhood
03-25-2016, 09:33 AM
What was the problem with Cancellera's brakes?

MattTuck
03-25-2016, 09:36 AM
They said he broke a dropout...

as for the trek strategy, we'll see...

I think it may have been too much for Cancellara. he got back on, but can he be strong in the finale or did he use too much energy in the chase.

It will be hilarious if EQS doesn't win. They were all like, "Hey, Fabian is off the back, WHEEEEEE!"

Jad
03-25-2016, 09:36 AM
I think it was FC's chain (*oh, or his dropout) originally, if that's what you mean.

But here goes Sagan, with some race left to go. Is his timing good this time?

guido
03-25-2016, 09:39 AM
With Kwiatkowski this could be dangerous...

nooneline
03-25-2016, 09:42 AM
I think it was FC's chain (*oh, or his dropout) originally, if that's what you mean.

But here goes Sagan, with some race left to go. Is his timing good this time?

We'll see about his timing, but he had no teammates in the group - it's a good rule of thumb that if you're isolated, you might as well attack.

It's a somewhat counterintuitive strategy (you'd think it would be a bad idea, since bigger teams have more riders to burn off chasing you) but it can work well - it's easier to commit in a smaller group (whereas a bigger group can have indecision and poor politics of cooperation), and it lets you be further up the road when other ballers light it up. Plus, it puts a steady effort into your legs instead of wondering what jumps to go after.

Jad
03-25-2016, 09:43 AM
Smooth ~30mph bottle grabs after 110 miles of racing are always impressive.

Jad
03-25-2016, 09:52 AM
We'll see about his timing, but he had no teammates in the group - it's a good rule of thumb that if you're isolated, you might as well attack.

It's a somewhat counterintuitive strategy (you'd think it would be a bad idea, since bigger teams have more riders to burn off chasing you) but it can work well - it's easier to commit in a smaller group (whereas a bigger group can have indecision and poor politics of cooperation), and it lets you be further up the road when other ballers light it up. Plus, it puts a steady effort into your legs instead of wondering what jumps to go after.

Interesting--it does make sense in a few different ways. Steady effort vs jumping on later attacks must be a particularly compelling reason, though Sagan seems good at both.

Dave Wages
03-25-2016, 09:56 AM
So I'm streaming Eurosport, 20K to go, and now they are showing a Cancellara bio piece? Is anyone else seeing this? I love Spartacus as much as anyone, but I'd prefer to see the end of the race.

MattTuck
03-25-2016, 10:00 AM
So I'm streaming Eurosport, 20K to go, and now they are showing a Cancellara bio piece? Is anyone else seeing this? I love Spartacus as much as anyone, but I'd prefer to see the end of the race.

http://www.fixalen.tv/20150920/vv-1148850--55fe4e223aab74.58368226.html

It's not good when one of your picks is driving the peloton at 10K to go :( stybar... :no:

Dave Wages
03-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the link!

http://www.fixalen.tv/20150920/vv-1148850--55fe4e223aab74.58368226.html

It's not good when one of your picks is driving the peloton at 10K to go :( stybar... :no:

weisan
03-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Cool.

I saw two rainbows!

MattTuck
03-25-2016, 10:11 AM
Another second for Sagan, and another strategic disaster for EQS. hahaha, laughing over here.

mhespenheide
03-25-2016, 10:21 AM
An impressive win from Kwiatkowski, whose jump left a toasted Sagan in his wake. A great ride from two favorites.

I'm starting to feel bad for Sagan...

nooneline
03-25-2016, 10:27 AM
Interesting--it does make sense in a few different ways. Steady effort vs jumping on later attacks must be a particularly compelling reason, though Sagan seems good at both.

he sure is good at both - but i think today's finale really showed that each really exhausts his ability to do the other!

JStonebarger
03-25-2016, 10:29 AM
And FC still took fourth. Yow.

FlashUNC
03-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Bridesmaid Sagan.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Kwiatkowski continues to be a baller. Did Peter learn nothing from the Strade Bianche in...what...2013? Where Kwiatkowski totally dusted him.

Elefantino
03-25-2016, 10:42 AM
Etixx-QuickStep's tactics, or lack thereof, are become more and more of a mystery. With all their horses for classics courses, they seem to use them in the most boneheaded ways possible.

Patrick Lefevere is going to collapse from an apoplectic stroke one of these days.

sandyrs
03-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Etixx-QuickStep's tactics, or lack thereof, are become more and more of a mystery. With all their horses for classics courses, they seem to use them in the most boneheaded ways possible.

Patrick Lefevere is going to collapse from an apoplectic stroke one of these days.

Nobody in the top ten. Absolutely unbelievable.

MattTuck
03-25-2016, 10:48 AM

This was pretty much my impression as well.

The team seemed to take glee in burning its riders off the front once Cancellara was behind. They succeeded in keeping Cancellara from winning. Unfortunately, you don't get points for preventing the other guy from winning.

Oh, and I started a new hashtag on twitter. #ettixmisstep

nooneline
03-25-2016, 10:49 AM
It made sense for them to drive to try to stay away from Cancellara, but they were pinioned by an embarrassment of riches, I think. With what, five guys in the lead group (Terpstra, Boonen, Trentin, Martin, Stybar for a bit... was that all?), it was FULLY on them to drive the group - nobody else had to do a damn thing.

And when it came down to it, nobody apparently had the legs to go with Sagan and Kwiatko. Trentin tried, but couldn't quite get there.

It kind of seems like they're trying to just throw a bunch of riders at the front and see what sticks, but it means that they wind up not being committed to a plan that ensures somebody ready to race the finale.

Jad
03-25-2016, 11:14 AM
It kind of seems like they're trying to just throw a bunch of riders at the front and see what sticks, but it means that they wind up not being committed to a plan that ensures somebody ready to race the finale.

Yeah--that's what it looked like as it unfolded.

FlashUNC
03-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Its a total replay of Strade Bianche...what....2013? Sagan and Kwiatkowski on a two-man break....Sagan's lack of tactical sense gets completely exposed in the final kilometer. After, yanno, dragging a really strong guy to the line.

You'd think Peter has to learn something from all these losses eventually? Right?

Because it is a LOT of losses at this point.

sandyrs
03-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Its a total replay of Strade Bianche...what....2013? Sagan and Kwiatkowski on a two-man break....Sagan's lack of tactical sense gets completely exposed in the final kilometer. After, yanno, dragging a really strong guy to the line.

You'd think Peter has to learn something from all these losses eventually? Right?

For a guy whose early wins came largely from sprints, he's really averse to leaving things until the line. It's frustrating to watch.

JStonebarger
03-25-2016, 11:44 AM
True, but Sagan's good enough to be there at the end more than anyone else racing. Maybe what he needs to learn is to shut off his radio?

"The last two kilometres in the radio they said 'you have to pull, you have to pull, everybody is coming'. I pulled a lot, and for the final I was without legs."

jpw
03-25-2016, 11:45 AM
for a while now i've been thinking that Sagan looks just too muscled in the thighs. his power to weight ratio is just not quite right imho.

Nice play by Stannard.

Sky is definitely improving in the classics, and Quickstep is going backwards fast.

MattTuck
03-25-2016, 11:47 AM

I think the accepted gospel is that "sagan is going to win any sprint if he comes to the finish with a group." and that either 1) appears to be completely wrong. or 2) totally true, and he's playing the very long game to rope-a-dope everyone in Flanders.

His body seems quite different this year (to me anyway) he looks much bulkier, his calves also seem much bigger. He's clearly one of the strongest guys in the peloton, just by virtue of being there at the end so often... but he's lacking something. Maybe it is high end speed, maybe it is power, confidence, nutrition on the bike, the fact his team always leaves him alone, who knows. He reminds me of Cancellara a few years ago when every race, it was like, "And Cancellara is isolated, no team members in this group."

He'll eventually break through.

JStonebarger
03-25-2016, 11:47 AM

True, but Sagan's good enough to be there at the end more than anyone else racing. Maybe what he needs to learn is to shut off his radio?

"The last two kilometres in the radio they said 'you have to pull, you have to pull, everybody is coming'. I pulled a lot, and for the final I was without legs."

I realize Sagan needs to win -- that he can't be happy with second -- but he did beat FC and Boonen and almost everyone else in attendance.

jpw
03-25-2016, 11:50 AM
who will pay Sagan's contract when Tinkoff departs at the end of the season?

soulspinner
03-25-2016, 01:09 PM

Right? the pack was still way off at the end and Kwiatkowski is smacking his lips. Sagan had nothing left...

guido
03-25-2016, 01:37 PM
Certainly not a day of tactical brilliance for many of the favorites...

FlashUNC
03-25-2016, 02:27 PM
who will pay Sagan's contract when Tinkoff departs at the end of the season?

He'll probably take the second best offer just out of habit.

JStonebarger
03-25-2016, 02:41 PM
He'll probably take the second best offer just out of habit.

Maybe. But based on today's results, that might still be more than four Etixx salaries combined.

pinoymamba
03-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Kwiatkowski had the luxory of a team mate in the chase. if he gets caught it's okay I have a team mate. If Sagan gets caught he's caught out with no team mates and probably all his matches for a sprint. He had no choice but to soldier on.

The team director could of done a better job with the time gap. So Sagan could of had something left for the match sprint.

His only blunder was he got caught napping on the sprint but he was probably already too gassed since he was leading it out with 1k to go.

I think he does alright for having a very diverse skill set (jack of all trades master of none)

azrider
03-25-2016, 03:31 PM
What was the problem with Cancellera's brakes?

They said he broke a dropout...

I think it was FC's chain (*oh, or his dropout) originally, if that's what you mean.?

Here is Fabian's chase. Interesting to hear Sean Kelly say, "just more problems with this bike." At first they say it's chain, then they say it's the rear mech....

Nice bike throw by FC at :37 seconds into video.......those pro's and their equipment, I tell ya :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3zfJuOkepI

So impressive to see Fabian move back through the cars and the different segmented groups with almost ease. The looks on riders faces as they do a double take when they see who is passing them is funny.

pasadena
03-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Here is Fabian's chase. Interesting to hear Sean Kelly say, "just more problems with this bike." At first they say it's chain, then they say it's the rear mech....

Nice bike throw by FC at :37 seconds into video.......those pro's and their equipment, I tell ya :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3zfJuOkepI

So impressive to see Fabian move back through the cars and the different segmented groups with almost ease. The looks on riders faces as they do a double take when they see who is passing them is funny.

great vid! thanks

weisan
03-25-2016, 04:21 PM
I, for one, would like to see riders stop throwing their bikes on the ground every time they have a mechanical. I understand the frustrations, but as a spectator or a viewer, every time I see that on the screen or in a race, for some reason, it kinda takes away a bit of something from the rider, rather adding or promoting something positive, I dunno why... :D

Anyway, back to the race result.
Here's the way i see it:

Sagan wins - yeah, finally!
K wins - yeah, what a champ!

Both are best riders in their generation.

MattTuck
03-25-2016, 06:41 PM
I, for one, would like to see riders stop throwing their bikes on the ground every time they have a mechanical. I understand the frustrations, but as a spectator or a viewer, every time I see that on the screen or in a race, for some reason, it kinda takes away a bit of something from the rider, rather adding or promoting something positive, I dunno why... :D

Here's the way i see it:

Sounds like something that would be fun to debate.... what is the age range for 'their generation'? Degenkolb is 2 years older (27) and I would say his palmares are better. :)

Ok, just for the fun of it, here are my picks for Gent-Wevelgem

1. Sagan
2. Gaviria
3. Debuscherre

WC. Cancellara
WC. GVA (if he races), Phinney (if GVA doesn't race).

jpw
03-26-2016, 04:00 AM

Here's the way i see it:

the manufacturer should add a 'no throw' clause to the contract.

jpw
03-26-2016, 04:02 AM
Sounds like something that would be fun to debate.... what is the age range for 'their generation'? Degenkolb is 2 years older (27) and I would say his palmares are better. :)

Ok, just for the fun of it, here are my picks for Gent-Wevelgem

1. Sagan
2. Gaviria
3. Debuscherre

WC. Cancellara
WC. GVA (if he races), Phinney (if GVA doesn't race).

There was a lot of talk that Gaviria would have won MSR but for his crash, but he got swamped at Dwars. He's good, but he's still young.

Roelandts is looking good.

numbskull
03-26-2016, 05:49 AM
Motor jokes aside, does anyone know what was the problem with Cancellara's drive train that required a mechanic to fix?

ericssonboi
03-26-2016, 05:56 AM
Motor jokes aside, does anyone know what was the problem with Cancellara's drive train that required a mechanic to fix?

Was going to throw a SRAM joke in but from San Remo, he's running DA. From the vid above, looks like a chain drop while shifting.

Elefantino
03-26-2016, 06:03 AM
His rear mech broke. Don't know if something hit it or not. At first TV was saying broken rear hanger, but photos don't appear to back that up.

doublenines
03-26-2016, 06:04 AM

While watching it, it looked like he snapped the hanger somehow (haven't read what it was actually and can't find any pics online). A replay from behind him looked like his chain got kinked, he shifted, put the power down and off came the derailleur. (Wish I had that kind of power.)

I feel bad for Sagan as he's becoming the Eternal Second (like that guy in the 60's), but seeing the Rainbow Jersey and the Rainbow armbands in the break for the last few KMs was a great site.

trener1
03-26-2016, 07:02 AM
All of the talk is about Etixx and Sagans mistakes, but in truth I was left a bit flummoxed by Fabians tactics as well, yes he was gassed from the chase, but if you watch the race from about 15k out you can clearly see Jasper Stuyvans asking Fabs a few times if he should help with the chase and every time Fabian callas him off.

azrider
03-26-2016, 07:27 AM
Amazing story:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/debesay-gets-lost-during-his-flemish-debut-at-e3-harelbeke/

He became lost as he tried to ride to the finish and was helped by a friendly Flemish cycling fan, who invited him to his home, allowed him to shower, gave him some food and eventually called the team’s hotel on Roeselare. Debesay eventually got back to the team hotel at 9pm, four hours after the finish of the race.

weisan
03-26-2016, 08:35 AM
My boy is gettin' there....

http://api.theweek.com/sites/default/files/legacygeneric/Forrest_BiggestBeard_end.jpg

jpw
03-27-2016, 04:58 AM
While watching it, it looked like he snapped the hanger somehow (haven't read what it was actually and can't find any pics online). A replay from behind him looked like his chain got kinked, he shifted, put the power down and off came the derailleur. (Wish I had that kind of power.)

I feel bad for Sagan as he's becoming the Eternal Second (like that guy in the 60's), but seeing the Rainbow Jersey and the Rainbow armbands in the break for the last few KMs was a great site.

i've done exactly that, and i'm not as powerful as Fab. it's easily done.

JStonebarger
03-27-2016, 07:27 AM
...I feel bad for Sagan as he's becoming the Eternal Second (like that guy in the 60's)...

Pou Pou? "Eternal Second" to Anquetil and Merckx? Sagan should be proud to remind us of Raymond Poulidor.http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2016/01/wk5X9.jpeg

doublenines
03-27-2016, 08:24 AM
Pou Pou? "Eternal Second" to Anquetil and Merckx? Sagan should be proud to remind us of Raymond Poulidor.

Poulidor, that's him. Thanks. (Didn't have time to look it up.)

Great pic, just look how proud he looks. Never knew that Mathieu van der Poel was his grandson.

ultraman6970
03-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Every weekend I see sagan getting bigger and bigger... while all of the other guys are getting thinner and thinner.

MattTuck
03-27-2016, 09:23 AM
Is eurosport not carrying Gent-Wevelgem this year?

I see from steephill that there is some channel called "Bike TV" that is broadcasting it.

ptourkin
03-27-2016, 09:41 AM
Is eurosport not carrying Gent-Wevelgem this year?

I see from steephill that there is some channel called "Bike TV" that is broadcasting it.

Yeah, no British Eurosport :( they are re-running E3, Tour of Cat. and Crit. International today. Watching BEIN in french.

MattTuck
03-27-2016, 09:53 AM
Motorbike down!

Lots of EQS jerseys in that group... wonder if they'll have more tactical sense than Friday. Oh, there goes Vandenbergh

MattTuck
03-27-2016, 10:02 AM
7 minuets after that post, vamarcke, cancellara and sagan are ahead of the group by 20 seconds, with EQS chasing. :help:

Lewis Moon
03-27-2016, 10:16 AM
Kutznetzov (sp) is not working at all

oldpotatoe
03-27-2016, 10:17 AM
7 minuets after that post, vamarcke, cancellara and sagan are ahead of the group by 20 seconds, with EQS chasing. :help:

Will....they....stay...away?? 36 seconds, 15k to go. Spartacus looks driven..Sagan looks tired.

Chase group bunching..no organization in spite of like 4-5 Etixx guys...where's Boonen?

Katusha guy knackered..probably cuz he has to use both hands to shift, like playing a piano...:)

Lewis Moon
03-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Saga looks knackered

ultraman6970
03-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Which race are you guys talking about??

MattTuck
03-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Which race are you guys talking about??

Gent Wevelgem.... which one are you talking about?

MattTuck
03-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Vanmarcke has to be looking at Cancellara and thinking, "Again!?!?!"

b021c
03-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Yeah, no British Eurosport :( they are re-running E3, Tour of Cat. and Crit. International today. Watching BEIN in french.

I can hear an english broadcaster in the background of my Dutch feed - it's maddening knowing it's out there but I cant find it.
Sagan for second!

kramnnim
03-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Yay! :hello:

b021c
03-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Awesome Possum!

nalax
Well earned win by Sagan. Van Marche had the best looking bike

Raffy
Finally!

Lewis Moon
03-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Finally!

Indeed

MattTuck
03-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Sagan gets the monkey off his back.

Flanders should be very interesting.

MattTuck
03-27-2016, 10:43 AM
What is Ettix doing? It would have been nice to see Cancellara win, just as payback for their antics on Friday.

Also, it looks like everyone in the peloton is pretty happy for Sagan.

berserk87
03-27-2016, 10:56 AM
I would have liked to see Cancellara win as well, but he knew he was hosed within the last 1k and showed his frustration on the bike. At that point, none of the break was going to out-sprint Sagan, especially since all 4 riders had recovered at and were looking at each other.

Kuztnezov's attack at the end made sense. He had to figure that he was the weak sister in that bunch and that his best day would be 4th so he had nothing to lose. He ended up getting 3rd but I think that Cancellara lost the motivation to kill himself at that point.

Can't figure Etixx getting shut out of the winning move, but thinking about it now, I don't think that any of their dudes had the horsepower to do anything about it. But still, 5 dudes in the front group and not one made the split?

jpw
03-27-2016, 10:57 AM
What is Ettix doing? It would have been nice to see Cancellara win, just as payback for their antics on Friday.

Also, it looks like everyone in the peloton is pretty happy for Sagan.

Lefevere is losing his touch. time to retire.

shovelhd
03-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Great cat and mouse at the end. Katusha sucked wheel for the last 5km but he was the one who went solo earlier to get the break going. He gets a pass for that.

CPP
03-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Lefevere is losing his touch. time to retire.

After the team's performance in the E3, I'm surprised he wasn't shown the door.

weisan
03-27-2016, 11:46 AM
He dances on his bike like a ballerina.

pasadena
03-27-2016, 01:52 PM
Why so many haters?
Sagan is such a classy rider and is so highly regarded by all his peers.
Love to see his win today, and more to come I'm sure.
He's form has been great all spring, and it's not even April yet.

pasadena
03-27-2016, 02:02 PM
Can't figure Etixx getting shut out of the winning move, but thinking about it now, I don't think that any of their dudes had the horsepower to do anything about it. But still, 5 dudes in the front group and not one made the split?

I think that's right. Stybar made the move with Sagan and Cancellara but couldn't hold on.
Ettix plays a high risk but exciting style. Personally, I like their racing style. Despite the huge, famous snafu last year-

Stybar was right there when Sagan made the winning move. He just didn't quite have it to stay with them, but tactically right there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYvXSA4YJK8

CPP
03-27-2016, 02:39 PM
Not making the split is one thing.

But, even with the rest of the chasers not working, with 5 big guns from the same team in the chase group, not bringing back the two guys in front is a bit lame!

rnhood
03-27-2016, 02:46 PM
Great final kick by Sagan. His win is overdue. A class rider.

nooneline
03-27-2016, 03:43 PM
The thing that is worth remembering about Etixx is that when five of their riders made the initial peloton split at 140km to go, they had to work. Once it was game time for that reduced bunch, yeah, everybody was a bit more tired - I think it's safe to say that Stybar underperformed a bit by being unable to finish off the bridge to the move, but when the chips fell there are reasons that they didn't have the legs. Once they missed the move, they were riding for Gaviria (whose performance this spring, despite being light on results, has been very impressive).

EQS had been riding all day. Compare that to Sagan, who, once he made the split in the crosswinds, didn't go near the front until setting off that move on the Kemmelberg. I think this was an understandable performance - whereas their race at E3 was a nightmare.

As far as the break goes - Cancellara was frustrated but he should have tried something within 2km to go. And I was VERY surprised that Vanmarcke didn't, considering the fact that Sagan and Cancellara are the two riders most likely to hesitate and stare each other down while letting somebody else off the leash.

nooneline
03-27-2016, 03:50 PM
wow - I just saw it reported that Vanmarcke actually missed the big initial split, and was chasing for 40km in order to make the junction with the front group at 90km to go. Given that effort, his ability to make the break and sprint for second is more significant!

FlashUNC
03-27-2016, 03:53 PM
Sagan gets the monkey off his back.

Flanders should be very interesting.

Not to be the negative Nancy. (Wait, of course that's my goal here...)

Sagan's won this race before. And still flamed out spectacularly in the Big Boy races.

Let's see how he does in Flanders Fields and French cobbles.

branflakes
03-27-2016, 04:13 PM
http://goo.gl/P36DUr

let's hope this has a happier ending than not....

ptourkin
03-27-2016, 05:54 PM
http://goo.gl/P36DUr

let's hope this has a happier ending than not....

Hopefully - deleted my response which was hopefully based on false rumor.

branflakes
03-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Hopefully - deleted my response which was hopefully based on false rumor.

i had seen the same report as your original response. but there is no statement, official or otherwise, supporting that claim. so, still hoping for the best!

Raffy
03-27-2016, 06:41 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/antoine-demoiti-dies-following-gent-wevelgem-crash/

RIP

This makes me very angry. Full disclosure, I am not a sympathetic to press (in fact I would never give a witness interview if I'm ever put in such a situation without compensation) and I normally bias against them unless I am given a good reason not to do so but there is really no good defense on all the moto incidents over the past few years. I don't give a sh1t if they run under the cover of "providing the best coverage to the viewers", I value the lives and safety of athletes more then the "right" as a viewer to the best information/photos/video coverage possible. Sorry, rant over.

jdp211
03-27-2016, 06:42 PM
An unfortunate end (http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/03/news/gent-wevelgem-rider-hit-by-moto-after-crash_399950) to a sad story

branflakes
03-27-2016, 06:52 PM
that's what i was afraid of! :(

i remember watching Wouter Weylandt's crash at the giro a few years back and how tragic that was. unfortunately this crash also involves an enemy of the peloton these days in the motobikes. i have to believe this was likely a cataclysmic series of unfortunate circumstances and events.

RIP Antoine!

shovelhd
03-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Awful. Hopefully it was an unavoidable accident and not negligent riding.

everbeek
03-27-2016, 07:12 PM

Just a little FYI - Today's race (Ghent-Wevelgem) was in "Flanders Fields". Never heard the Tour of Flanders referred to it as such and the course of the Tour of Flanders, at least over the past 30 years, has never gone near the area of the WW 1 trenches. Indeed, Paris-Roubaix goes nowhere near the original areas described as the "hell of the North" and hasn't for many decades. Some of the early cobbled sections in the modern route are ~10 km east of Cambrai. The first modern tank battles in WW 1 occurred a little west of Cambrai. The route stays well east of the area of the Somme and no longer gets near the devastated areas near Arras, Vimy and Lens. The section at Mons-en-Pévèle is perhaps 25 km from Lens. During the 80s, 90s and early 2000s they may have been closest to the old "hell of the North" when they still went near Phalempin and Seclin. Don't hold me to this, but my best guess is that when they decided to go towards Valenciennes and the Arenberg Forest in the late 60s, this necessitated a big change of the route to the east. Formerly, the route came up through Arras, Douai and into Mons-en-Pévèle directly from the south before heading towards Lille and Roubaix.
-Mike

FlashUNC
03-27-2016, 07:14 PM
Just a little FYI - Today's race (Ghent-Wevelgem) was in "Flanders Fields". Never heard the Tour of Flanders referred to it as such and the course of the Tour of Flanders, at least over the past 30 years, has never gone near the area of the WW 1 trenches. Indeed, Paris-Roubaix goes nowhere near the original areas described as the "hell of the North" and hasn't for many decades. Some of the early cobbled sections in the modern route are ~10 km east of Cambrai. The first modern tank battles in WW 1 occurred a little west of Cambrai. The route stays well east of the area of the Somme and no longer gets near the devastated areas near Arras, Vimy and Lens. The section at Mons-en-Pévèle is perhaps 25 km from Lens. During the 80s, 90s and early 2000s they may have been closest to the old "hell of the North" when they still went near Phalempin and Seclin. Don't hold me to this, but my best guess is that when they decided to go towards Valenciennes and the Arenberg Forest in the late 60s, this necessitated a big change of the route to the east. Formerly, the route came up through Arras, Douai and into Mons-en-Pévèle directly from the south before heading towards Lille and Roubaix.
-Mike

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rLmKgX_nU08/T3WsZ_Ixt2I/AAAAAAAALAg/Ml918cmVAMI/s1600/Thanks-Bro.jpeg

MattTuck
03-28-2016, 07:29 AM
Not to be the negative Nancy. (Wait, of course that's my goal here...)

Sagan's won this race before. And still flamed out spectacularly in the Big Boy races.

Oh, not saying this is a 'break through' performance of a Monument win, just that he finally won in the rainbow stripes.

Vanmarcke has basically done 3 one day races all year, MSR, E3 and GW. (also he rode Algarve and Paris Nice). He looked pretty good, I have to say, on the Kemmelberg. Obviously, RvV is a different level of difficulty and length.

You have to like that group (minus Kunetsov) for next Sunday.

FlashUNC
03-28-2016, 07:31 AM
Every year people talk themselves into Sagan in Ronde, or Roubaix -- when he races it -- and every year he gets taken out behind the woodshed by a lack of tactical sense or just stronger riders.

I'll believe it when I see it.

MattTuck
03-28-2016, 07:42 AM

Maybe they were all tired from their efforts at E3 on Friday.

I am just puzzled by their seeming numerical dominance in late groups and then their inability to be there at the end. Maybe their riders are just off their game this year and don't have that extra gear. In terms of one day races this year, they've got Terpstra winning Le Samyn, and Stybar second at Strade Bianche.

Yet, when I see them riding at critical parts of races, I seem to frequently see a group of 5 EQS dudes at the front of group, led by either Terpstra, Stybar or Boonen. I mean, ok, maybe you've decided Boonen can't win so you're just going to burn him, but Terpstra and Stybar seem like your strongest cards to play. Seems foolish to have them in the wind.

Another #EttixMisstep

... I think it's safe to say that Stybar underperformed a bit by being unable to finish off the bridge to the move, but when the chips fell there are reasons that they didn't have the legs.

Perhaps it had something to do with the fact his team forced him to chase back on with Cancellara on Friday. I'm not sure what the pecking order at EQS is, but it seems that Stybar should be pretty high up there. And yet, when he's off the back, the team was more interested in preventing Cancellara from winning than in getting their best (?) guy in a position to contend for the victory.

MattTuck
03-28-2016, 07:44 AM
Every year people talk themselves into Sagan in Ronde, or Roubaix -- when he races it -- and every year he gets taken out behind the woodshed by a lack of tactical sense or just stronger riders.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I talk myself in Vanmarcke :) or Phinney.:help:

jlwdm
03-28-2016, 07:53 AM
Gent-Wevelgem on BEIN Sports right now. 7:00 to 9:00 am CDT.

Jeff

nooneline
03-28-2016, 08:13 AM
Perhaps it had something to do with the fact his team forced him to chase back on with Cancellara on Friday. I'm not sure what the pecking order at EQS is, but it seems that Stybar should be pretty high up there. And yet, when he's off the back, the team was more interested in preventing Cancellara from winning than in getting their best (?) guy in a position to contend for the victory.

They tend to have a plan A with a protected rider (and identified Stybar as that rider for GW, after the race), but the "get as many guys in the front group as possible" approach also means that, yeah, the tactical situation can be muddled - even though their nominal leader wasn't in the front group, one can argue that it still makes sense for the team to work - but you can't have it both ways, can you?

FlashUNC
03-28-2016, 08:26 AM
I talk myself in Vanmarcke :) or Phinney.:help:

Now those I can get behind.