PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo EPS V3 and iphones(+)

oldpotatoe
03-24-2016, 05:38 AM
Holy moly..want to customize what lever does what?

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/campagnolo-unlocks-eps-with-new-my-campy-app

Without too much commenting on Italian branded electronics(not as bad as prince of darkness-Lucas)..I think this stuff is Swiss produced.

velomonkey
03-24-2016, 07:20 AM
The shift-assist stuff seems like a smart, logical step - we have a ton of roller hills here in NE - so you shift from big to small and vice versa all the time - I'd totally use it so If I shifted the big ring it would move 2 gears in the rear.

Customizing this stuff through an iPhone is totally the way it should be - well done Campy.

RonW87
03-24-2016, 09:22 AM
Kind of like automatic transmission:

"Shift Assist: This is a new function for EPS that has been introduced with My Campy, demonstrating how the app can be used to program the groupset. The aim of Shift Assist is to preserve the rider’s cadence as they shift between the chainrings, so it automatically operates the rear derailleur every time the front derailleur is used. Thus, when a rider shifts from the small ring to the large, Shift Assist directs the rear derailleur to shift to a larger cog. Likewise, Shift Assist instructs the rear derailleur to shift to a smaller cog when the rider shifts to the small ring. My EPS allows the rider to choose how many cogs (0-3) the rear derailleur will shift during this process."

Mark McM
03-24-2016, 10:08 AM
I haven't tried EPS (only Di2). With EPS, can you normally operate both derailleurs simultaneously by pressing buttons on both shifters at the same time? In other words, can you simulate the Shift Assist function by pressing 2 different buttons simultaneously?

oldpotatoe
03-24-2016, 10:11 AM
I haven't tried EPS (only Di2). With EPS, can you normally operate both derailleurs simultaneously by pressing buttons on both shifters at the same time? In other words, can you simulate the Shift Assist function by pressing 2 different buttons simultaneously?

Yes

Mark McM
03-24-2016, 10:14 AM
Oh yeah, another question:

So, EPS V3 can communicate wirelessly to an iPhone App, but it can't communicate wirelessly between shifters and derailleurs? What's up with that?

FlashUNC
03-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Oh yeah, another question:

So, EPS V3 can communicate wirelessly to an iPhone App, but it can't communicate wirelessly between shifters and derailleurs? What's up with that?

That would require batteries in the shifters.

thirdgenbird
03-24-2016, 10:51 AM

And multiple wireless chipsets.

oldpotatoe
03-24-2016, 10:53 AM

I think he was being facetious.

FlashUNC
03-24-2016, 11:15 AM
I think he was being facetious.

Never can tell around these parts these days. Charging through the DTI interface will be welcome.

Was talking with Tom about it at NAHBS, the MyCampy stuff is just for Record/Super Record EPS right now. I'm hoping it'll trickle to Chorus in the next year or two, give me an excuse to upgrade bits of my Athena EPS.

Mark McM
03-24-2016, 11:18 AM

And the problem with that? The technology is already there, is highly reliable, is currently being mass produced, and requires only a small, inexpensive battery that can last a year or more. In fact, you've probably got a device that uses the same technology in your pocket.

Automotive keyless lock fobs perform practically the same function as a shifter. Pressing one button moves the door lock mechanism in one direction; pressing the other button moves the door lock mechanism in the other direction. This wireless system can work in a completely secure way - there's no interference between keyless lock fobs, and keyless lock fobs are very difficult to hack. They work over distances of tens of feet or more. They are powered with a small coin cell battery that lasts for years of operation.

I'd say that the technology is mature, reliable and inexpensive - why aren't Shimano and Campagnolo using it?

FlashUNC
03-24-2016, 11:47 AM
And the problem with that? The technology is already there, is highly reliable, is currently being mass produced, and requires only a small, inexpensive battery that can last a year or more. In fact, you've probably got a device that uses the same technology in your pocket.

Automotive keyless lock fobs perform practically the same function as a shifter. Pressing one button moves the door lock mechanism in one direction; pressing the other button moves the door lock mechanism in the other direction. This wireless system can work in a completely secure way - there's no interference between keyless lock fobs, and keyless lock fobs are very difficult to hack. They work over distances of tens of feet or more. They are powered with a small coin cell battery that lasts for years of operation.

I'd say that the technology is mature, reliable and inexpensive - why aren't Shimano and Campagnolo using it?

Well, at this point, they'd have to redesign and re-tool their shifters. And those discussions are probably happening internally right now. But it isn't as if they just can flip a switch and just stuff a couple duracell watch batteries in there and call it a day between model years.

And for all that, both Shimano and Campy have engineers who have worked on these systems in far greater depth and far more detail than I think any of us have, and the conclusion they came to was wired.

I don't see how running one cable from DTI to EPS brain is too much trouble for some folks. But I guess it is a sticky issue for some.

Elefantino
03-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Campy mechanics workshop for SF is next Thursday. I look forward to be able to explore all the V3 goodies.