PDA

View Full Version : Steel Fork Rake....

CJH
06-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Anyone know if it's possible to "rerake" a chromed steel fork?! What I'd like to do is create a bit more front end stability. Only way to do that given that the HTA can't be changed would be to decrease the rake of the fork. So wondering if it's possible to alter a 45mm rake to say 40mm of rake on a chromed steel fork without recking the chrome?! Any ideas on who might take on such a thing if possible. Thought I'd put it out here before I start calling the framebuilders...
Thanks!

atmo
06-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Anyone know if it's possible to "rerake" a chromed steel fork?! What I'd like to do is create a bit more front end stability. Only way to do that given that the HTA can't be changed would be to decrease the rake of the fork. So wondering if it's possible to alter a 45mm rake to say 40mm of rake on a chromed steel fork without recking the chrome?! Any ideas on who might take on such a thing if possible. Thought I'd put it out here before I start calling the framebuilders...
Thanks!

taking 5mm out of the rake will increase the fork's length, thereby
also decreasing the head angle once it is all reinstalled atmo.

obtuse
06-14-2006, 09:18 PM

yeah what atmo said...plus the front center will be shortened and the whole thing will probably suck even worse than before.

don't do it. but if you do mail the bike to vintage bicycle quarterly so they can test it.

obtuse

catulle
06-14-2006, 09:23 PM
yeah what atmo said...plus the front center will be shortened and the whole thing will probably suck even worse than before.

don't do it. but if you do mail the bike to vintage bicycle quarterly so they can test it.

obtuse

Is today Proust day, atmo...?

obtuse
06-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Is today Proust day, atmo...?

no today is flag day.

obtuse

Fixed
06-14-2006, 09:37 PM
bro is there anything good about having a short front center?
cheers

obtuse
06-14-2006, 09:38 PM
bro is there anything good about having a short front center?
cheers

yeah-

if you want a bike that's awesome for really high speeds and and lots of turns it can be nice as part of the design. see my pegoretti ble for an example....

obtuse

catulle
06-14-2006, 09:42 PM
no today is flag day.

obtuse

Oh...

obtuse
06-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Oh...

hooray for the red white and blue....

CJH
06-14-2006, 10:06 PM

That's true. It would increase the fork length by 3-4mm. Which would alter the HTA by .2 degrees. As for the FC, what effect will +-5mm have...

catulle
06-14-2006, 10:11 PM
hooray for the red white and blue....

Ok, ok, I'll let you have a date with Scarlett...

531Aussie
06-15-2006, 10:44 PM
the best thing I did for my old steel Raleigh was put this fork on it. It's just a generic 1" thingy with an alu steerer, sold down here as a 'Roselli', but I'm sure they're in the U.S. under some other brand. I thought the fork was so good I put it on my steel Cervelo. I'll get another one for my Raleigh

http://vmartin.bigpondhosting.com/photos/roselli_3.jpghttp://vmartin.bigpondhosting.com/photos/roselli_one.jpg

CJH
06-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks but that thing is not comeing anywhere near this bike! http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=10762
Besides I spoke to Spectrum Cycles today and they said they should be able to take care of it no problem, apparently they do this sort of thing all the time... I appreciate your input though! Oh and reg. fork length increase with reduction of rake it's possible to compensate by the use of fork race crown cutter, after all were only talking about a few mm at the most.

531Aussie
06-16-2006, 01:35 AM
hmmmm......sounds like a tricky job, and if it's slightly uneven it could stuff up the tracking of the wheel, but I guess the experts know what they're doing.

Many moons ago, I once (foolishly) filed off a small bur in a front dropout, and I must've stuffed up the angle that the wheel sat in the forks coz, after this, the bike would always pull to one side, and I obvously couldn't ride no hands. Despite my efforts to even it up, I couldn't fix it. :p