PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Julich

shinomaster
04-01-2004, 02:17 AM
I am very happy that Bobby Julich is racing well again after such a long peroid of floundering. Third in the Paris NIce and forth in the Criteriunm International is pretty good for a has been. Before lance he was the only real US tour contender. What is is with team CSC anyway? Is Mr. 50% influencing his riders too much? :D :confused:

Bill Bove
04-01-2004, 05:59 AM
Hmmmm, he sure does have a way of bringing it out of his riders. Let's ask Jose Manzebo. Better cycling through chemistry? That's not fair of me to say and I really don't think it's true but it is hard not to with all that we hear.

Gotta get my dose of caffiene into me before I head out the door to ride...

BumbleBeeDave
04-01-2004, 07:56 AM
. . . the key to Riis success with his riders is probably what Tyler alluded to in several written accounts when he went to CSC. That’s the efforts Riis goes to to foster a true team spirit through devices such as the “outward bound” type wilderness outdoors course he seems to put his riders through each year. These types of events get the riders together in an arena away from their bikes and allow them to become friends and teammates in a forum where cooperatiion rather than competition is the priority.

I read a story recently about T-Mobile camp in Majorca, where prominent mention was made of the competitive aspect--riders checking each other out on the bikes, evaluating where they stood compared to the other riders--as if they were competitors, NOT teammates.

Also according to Tyler, Riis plays a large role in communicating with riders in the off-season. Winter before last when I heard Tyler speak at Wheelworks, he described the degree of communication with Riis over the winter, with almost daily correspondence and evaluation of the training goals and achievements.

He’s just a good coach who knows how to motivate people. I doubt chemical assistance has anything to do with it.

BBDave

Climb01742
04-01-2004, 08:34 AM
i've also read that when tyler was with CSC, riis had him doing very tough, very specific training. despite riis' past questionable blood count, it seems he really knows how to train. add to that his tactical sense. add to that his team building skill. the total seems to work. call me naive but bobby julich and tyler don't seem like guys who would take drugs. their success with riis (i hope) is a combination of good coaching and an athlete willing to work and sacrifice. yours truly, polly anna.