PDA

View Full Version : Wrist HR monitor

bcroslin
03-23-2016, 09:00 PM
Does anyone have any experience with heart rate monitors that you can wear on your wrist? I've always hated chest strap HR monitors but I've come to depend on HR data for training. Ideally I'm looking for something that is ant+ compatible but I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles like pedometer or calorie data.

scrubadub
03-23-2016, 09:58 PM
I have a Garmin Forerunner 235 which I like a lot. That said I don't train by HR (or at all at the moment) but it's nice to have that option. Never could remember to put on the chest straps.

For more technical info, as always check our DC Rainmaker's reviews.

Anarchist
03-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Armband style

http://www.scosche.com/rhythm+

bjf
03-23-2016, 10:30 PM
Armband style

http://www.scosche.com/rhythm+

+1 on this. I use it all the time, easy to put on and take off, very reliable.

chiasticon
03-24-2016, 06:00 AM
been using a Mio Link for the last few months. in general it's good. it has its quirks, tho. like you gotta remember to charge it after each ride as the battery life is on the order of 6 hours or something, I believe. which sometimes means I put it on before a ride and it's dead and now I have no HR for that ride or I have to result to a chest strap. also, pretty much every ride I've ever done with it I've had around a minute of wonky data. like it'll read consistently believable results the whole ride then all of a sudden, I'm going uphill at 300 watts and it's reading in the 160's then in the 50's for a minute, then jumps back to 160's. it's weird. but it is WAY better than a chest strap, especially if you're used to wearing watches. totally forget it's there.

the funny thing is, I started really liking riding with HR more since I got it. to the point that when it is dead before a ride, I just use the dreaded chest strap because I want the data. the chest strap is awful, but I'll say this: it's pretty much always functioning and I rarely get bad values from it.

I am curious if the Scosche band is any better than the Mio, but I'm not sure I wanna buy another one when the Mio mostly works...

franswa
03-24-2016, 06:29 AM

+2 I've been really pleased with mine for the last two years. No issues ever and very comfortable. I don't even realize its there after a few minutes.

bcroslin
03-24-2016, 06:51 AM
I'm really only interested in some I can wear on my wrist. I can't imagine how I'd cover up the funny tan I'd get from something on my forearm. The Mio is in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

Has anyone used the Garmin Vivosmart by any chance?

deechee
03-24-2016, 07:16 AM
I'm really only interested in some I can wear on my wrist. I can't imagine how I'd cover up the funny tan I'd get from something on my forearm. The Mio is in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

Has anyone used the Garmin Vivosmart by any chance?

You can most definitely wear the Scosche Rhythm+ on your wrist, although it had trouble reading the outside of my wrist which I think was related to my very dark tan. The inside of the wrist is fine, although I find it way more comfortable on my arm.

Why buy a monitor that's tied to a device? If either functionality breaks, its expensive to replace.

ps. there are two straps that come with the Rhythm+, one for the wrist, and one for the arm.

franswa
03-24-2016, 07:26 AM
I alternate forearms for each ride and I don't get any strange tan lines. Now the tan lines from cycling kits....those arent strange at all.

Chris
03-24-2016, 08:31 AM
I have the 235. The heart rate works well for running, but I have found some variability with it on the bike. Same as DC Rainmaker found. I use the strap now, but it's supposed to be updated software-wise to address that issue.

jchasse
03-24-2016, 08:59 AM
I bought my wife a Garmin 235 for Xmas, and the HR seems pretty wonky - it's not at all consistent with our chest strap devises.

Chris, are you saying that there's a firmware update that's coming in the future to address this? Do you have any more info?

teleguy57
03-24-2016, 09:01 AM
I'm considering the Scosche Rhythm+ as well. DCRainmaker reports that he wears his on his upper arm under his jersey sleeve.

bcroslin
03-24-2016, 09:04 AM
I ended up ordering a vivosmart HR via Amazon so if it's wonky at all I'll send it back and try the Scosche. I'm almost wondering if I should have bought a Lazer Genesis with the Lifebeam built in but I just don't need a new helmet.

stephenmarklay
03-24-2016, 09:16 AM

I do as well.

chiasticon
03-24-2016, 09:26 AM
I ended up ordering a vivosmart HR via Amazon so if it's wonky at all I'll send it back and try the Scosche.you realize there's a vivoactive hr coming out in a month or so, right? likely has updated/improved hr monitoring over the vivosmart hr. maybe something to keep an eye on if you're in the market...

fwiw, I wear my mio link upside down on my wrist, a few inches up from the wrist bone, as recommend by them. I wonder if the 235 behaves better in this mode? I'd like one of those (or similar) but the bad data has kept me away.

campy man
03-24-2016, 09:43 AM

Does anyone know if this will work with a Polar watch?

Is there a list of compatible watches?

malcolm
03-24-2016, 09:51 AM
My wife and I both had the fitbit charge and I think the heart rate worked well, working out in the gym and on the mtn bike. Now granted I never used it for training so I don't know how much attention I paid to it. My wife's started having charging issues so I gave her mine close to a year ago and it's still working fine for her which is gym use.
So I think the tech is probably pretty good. A tri buddy and tech geek I know says the garmin fitness watch that looks like an apple watch is going to have wrist heart rate soon.

Chris
03-24-2016, 10:01 AM
I bought my wife a Garmin 235 for Xmas, and the HR seems pretty wonky - it's not at all consistent with our chest strap devises.

Chris, are you saying that there's a firmware update that's coming in the future to address this? Do you have any more info?

DC Rainmaker suggests in his review that Garmin are aware of the issue and he expects an update to be in the pipeline. Or that's how I took it.

malcolm
03-24-2016, 10:06 AM
DC Rainmaker suggests in his review that Garmin are aware of the issue and he expects an update to be in the pipeline. Or that's how I took it.

The guy I was talking about in my response also recommended DC rainmaker, but I couldn't think of the name apparently it's the authority for all things sport watch

guido
03-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Have you tried the Garmin chest strap? They are so much more comfortable than other vendors straps.

I find the wrist based units so pitiful for cycling that they are not worth the effort compared to an Edge.

bcroslin
03-24-2016, 10:29 AM
you realize there's a vivoactive hr coming out in a month or so, right? likely has updated/improved hr monitoring over the vivosmart hr. maybe something to keep an eye on if you're in the market...

fwiw, I wear my mio link upside down on my wrist, a few inches up from the wrist bone, as recommend by them. I wonder if the 235 behaves better in this mode? I'd like one of those (or similar) but the bad data has kept me away.

I did not know that but I like the form factor of the vivosmart better.

bcroslin
03-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Have you tried the Garmin chest strap? They are so much more comfortable than other vendors straps.

I find the wrist based units so pitiful for cycling that they are not worth the effort compared to an Edge.

Thats what I'm currently using and I hate it. It's not just the garmin, it's any chest strap.

PaulE
03-24-2016, 11:55 AM
I'm using the Polar A 360 now. DC Rainmaker did a nice review on it. I think Polar is anti-ANT though, so that may not work for you. The A 360 works either from the wrist sensor or the Polar H7 Bluetooth chest strap. It is more accurate with the chest strap but it's not too bad from the wrist. With the H7 strap I can also see heart rate on my Cateye Padrone Smart. And the H7 strap also works with my old Polar S210 wrist monitor.

I am waiting for Garmin to come out with a bike GPS that is really like a car GPS before taking the plunge. Any rides that I've been on where people are using a Garmin GPS instead of the cue sheet have always ended up with lost signals and missed turns. The Padrone will pair with my iPhone and an app to show me the ride route after the fact, and works without a smartphone using the Cateye Bluetooth speed and cadence sensor.

bcroslin
04-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Just wanted to follow up: I tried the Vivosmart HR for a little more than a week and I loved everything about it except that it doesn't accurately measure heart rate. The form factor is great and I even became addicted to seeing my texts and notifications pop up on my wrist but it never accurately measured heart rate on rides. I think I'm going to try the Scosche next.

bigbill
04-01-2016, 08:01 PM
I'm considering the Scosche Rhythm+ as well. DCRainmaker reports that he wears his on his upper arm under his jersey sleeve.

I've worn mine on my forearm and the upper part of my bicep. Flawless in either spot. Mostly it's the forearm with long sleeve jerseys and upper arm with short sleeves. I like that it transmits in ANT and Bluetooth so I can use it with phone apps.

rpettet
04-01-2016, 09:16 PM
Had this for 1 year and love it

JAGI410
04-01-2016, 09:57 PM
I had a Fitbit Charge HR, but now I have an Apple Watch and love it for fitness/HR use.

bcroslin
04-01-2016, 10:25 PM
I'm looking for Ant+ compatibility for my garmin 500

rain dogs
04-02-2016, 03:34 AM
I have both the Scosche Rythym+ (Ant+) and the Garmin Chest Strap. My experience is this:

Choose comfort or use/accuracy.

The Scosche is certainly more comfortable to wear. Full stop. But really, that is the only advantage. There isn't a single other advantage that I can see other than no coin-cell battery (if that's an argument for you)

The Garmin chest strap has it beat in:
Charging (Garmin uses a coin cell that lasts like 2 yrs? so you don't have to charge it) numerous times I've had to use my chest strap because I forgot to charge the Scosche. It holds a charge for something like 8 hrs of riding when new, which... means on rando rides, not enough, and you have to charge it multiple times a week.

Accuracy: DCRainmaker has charts so perhaps his word is better, or I have a bunk scosche or...? But when I use the device it seems to lag or "drift" quite a bit more than the Garmin strap. So, if I do an short interval or burst for example, the HR displayed keeps rising and rising after I have stopped the power. This is normal, but it's much more evident with the Scosche.

Maybe a better way of saying it is. What my HR actually is, I'll see that 3 seconds later with the Garmin. With the Scosche it's like 10 seconds later. Which if you've got a maxHR set, or are training in zones... this can be annoying.

"Always On" This may be a trivial thing, but the Garmin doesn't have a power button. The Scosche does. And I find some inconsistencies in the Garmin computer detecting the Scosche if it has been powered on for a few minutes before I grab my bike. So, what? Well, if its a winter ride and you bury the Scosche under three layers and then go to turn it on, you can't see if it's on if it's not pairing. Then you don't know if it's not pairing or if it needs a charge cause you can't see the light flashing under those layers. Sure, you can use the computer readout to solve some of this... but there have been times when I found myself fussing with it annoyingly or undressing to get the visual flashing light. Or when putting on/taking off arm warmers while riding it's in the way etc. Little things, but they add up. The Garmin?.... wet it, strap it on while dressing. Done.

In the end the Scosche always seems to be my "go-to" choice, but I'm often wearing the Garmin. I don't know if I like the Scosche, or just want to like it.

bigbill
04-02-2016, 08:52 AM
I have both the Scosche Rythym+ (Ant+) and the Garmin Chest Strap. My experience is this:

Choose comfort or use/accuracy.

The Scosche is certainly more comfortable to wear. Full stop. But really, that is the only advantage. There isn't a single other advantage that I can see other than no coin-cell battery (if that's an argument for you)

The Garmin chest strap has it beat in:
Charging (Garmin uses a coin cell that lasts like 2 yrs? so you don't have to charge it) numerous times I've had to use my chest strap because I forgot to charge the Scosche. It holds a charge for something like 8 hrs of riding when new, which... means on rando rides, not enough, and you have to charge it multiple times a week.

Accuracy: DCRainmaker has charts so perhaps his word is better, or I have a bunk scosche or...? But when I use the device it seems to lag or "drift" quite a bit more than the Garmin strap. So, if I do an short interval or burst for example, the HR displayed keeps rising and rising after I have stopped the power. This is normal, but it's much more evident with the Scosche.

Maybe a better way of saying it is. What my HR actually is, I'll see that 3 seconds later with the Garmin. With the Scosche it's like 10 seconds later. Which if you've got a maxHR set, or are training in zones... this can be annoying.

"Always On" This may be a trivial thing, but the Garmin doesn't have a power button. The Scosche does. And I find some inconsistencies in the Garmin computer detecting the Scosche if it has been powered on for a few minutes before I grab my bike. So, what? Well, if its a winter ride and you bury the Scosche under three layers and then go to turn it on, you can't see if it's on if it's not pairing. Then you don't know if it's not pairing or if it needs a charge cause you can't see the light flashing under those layers. Sure, you can use the computer readout to solve some of this... but there have been times when I found myself fussing with it annoyingly or undressing to get the visual flashing light. Or when putting on/taking off arm warmers while riding it's in the way etc. Little things, but they add up. The Garmin?.... wet it, strap it on while dressing. Done.

In the end the Scosche always seems to be my "go-to" choice, but I'm often wearing the Garmin. I don't know if I like the Scosche, or just want to like it.

I've got a Garmin 800 and I've never had an issue with it detecting and pairing with my Scosche. When I ride, I go into the garage and turn on the Garmin and push the button on the Scosche while I'm putting my shoes on. Within a few seconds, I hear the Garmin beep. I like that it's an optical sensor so it's flawless in the cold. The battery life is a little bit of a hassle and I'd likely wear a chest strap on longer events, but when it's 100 degrees outside with high humidity, not having a chest strap is great.

bcroslin
04-02-2016, 10:23 AM
I ordered the Scosche so I'll report back. I rode with my chest strap this morning and it drove me nuts.

tkbike
04-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I've had good luck with the garmin forerunner 235, you do need to keep it tight enough on the wrist so it doesn't move. I am more of a runner and mountain biker and don't really worry about my heart rate when riding on the road. I owned an Apple Watch for all of 3 months before it became a paper weight, I run in all weather and after a 2 hour run in a downpour it was DOA! Not sure how it could be considered a sport watch when it isn't waterproof!

madsciencenow
04-02-2016, 08:23 PM
I'm curious about how you are wearing the garmin chest strap. I forget it's on when riding. It's a pain in the backside when running but riding I'm unaware of it.

Thanks to all on your comments regarding the wrist based garmin HR monitors. Think I will buy the vivoactive and pass on the HR version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcroslin
04-02-2016, 09:00 PM
I'm curious about how you are wearing the garmin chest strap. I forget it's on when riding. It's a pain in the backside when running but riding I'm unaware of it.

Thanks to all on your comments regarding the wrist based garmin HR monitors. Think I will buy the vivoactive and pass on the HR version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear it across my chest and it's not too tight. For some reason I just hate wearing it. I'm not big on watches either. I seem to be hyper-aware of the chest strap. I'm neurotic, I know.

DreaminJohn
04-03-2016, 11:50 AM

Chest straps are also quite challenging for us.....ummmm....hirsute folks. Shaving a spot on your chest to make it function accurately? Totally overrated.

bcroslin
04-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Just wanted to follow up and say the Scosche works great! Thanks for the recommendations!

azrider
05-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Just wanted to follow up and say the Scosche works great! Thanks for the recommendations!

Yo B.........still liking the Scosche?

I too am now contemplating a HR capable watch but not necessarily for rigorous workouts/rides.

Found this article comparing Garmin Vivoactive and Fitbit surge

http://www.cio.com/article/3063591/health/fitness-watch-faceoff-garmin-vivoactive-hr-vs-fitbit-surge.html