PDA

View Full Version : Need a sunglass recommendation

LegendRider
03-23-2016, 06:46 PM
I need a recommendation new pair of reasonably priced (i.e., not Oakley) riding sunglasses for the summer. The lens for current Giro Haviks is toast.

I tried an inexpensive pair of Shimano glasses from Bike Tires Direct but they were too small - the frame obstructed my vision.

Thanks in advance.

Vinci
03-23-2016, 07:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Tifosi glasses. They are cheap, work well, and look great.

Frankwurst
03-23-2016, 07:07 PM
I have a pair of Natives I'll sell. Bought'em here for $35 just like new. good sized lenses. Two pair of lenses I think. Never wore them but Native is the only brand that fits me buying online and the only glasses I like riding in, so I bought them and since then I had prescription lenses installed in another pair of Native glasses I own (gettin' old's a bitch). Holler if you're interested.:beer:

teleguy57
03-23-2016, 07:08 PM
+1. I'll say inexpensive vs cheap.

Bradford
03-23-2016, 07:25 PM
I like XX2i glasses. They fit well and are not expensive. I think I saw a 55% of sale email this week, but I'm not near my computer to check. On sale, they are he beast deal in cycling.

AJosiahK
03-23-2016, 07:32 PM
If your not wholly into look then lazer has some options I've been able to get my hands on, good quality at a decent price. Some can eventually be upgraded with a polychromatic lense

Black Dog
03-23-2016, 07:48 PM
I like XX2i glasses. They fit well and are not expensive. I think I saw a 55% of sale email this week, but I'm not near my computer to check. On sale, they are he beast deal in cycling.

They are good. Made by Rudy Project and on sale hard to beat. I have two pairs and am very happy with them.

berserk87
03-23-2016, 08:33 PM
The Smith Pivlock series are the best cycling sunglasses I have ever owned (and I am a self-professed sunglasses whore). I still have many, many pairs of Oakley and Rudy Project shades, and have owned several Brikos as well. All I wear are the Smiths now.

Easy to change lenses (they come with 3), great warranty, terrific lens coverage, clear optics, versatile, and no top bar to obstruct your view when on the bike. I had an issue with one lens on the first pair I bought and Smith had a replacement in the mail before I returned the buggy lens. They come in regular sizing and "Max" for larger faces. I have worn both and the Max sizing suits me better.

You can usually find some variety of them on sale (check Nashbar or Steep & Cheap.com). Last set I bought went for about $65.00.

dustyrider
03-23-2016, 08:42 PM
You can always find the big names for less. I'm a fan of Smith, got a couple pair of Oakley. Never paid retail for any of them!

Mr. Squirrel
03-23-2016, 08:49 PM
dear mr. legend,
you would look very european professional like mario and brikos in a pair of ocean squirrel lenses. that is not nuts.

mr. Squirrel

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/815277933/ocean-squirrel-sunglasses

parris
03-23-2016, 08:49 PM
I have some friends that have a few of the Tifosi models. They look like good glasses for the money. Several years ago I picked up some Nashbar sunglasses for just under $20.00 that are surprisingly nice for the money. My son has since "acquired" them ;) . I believe the model is Lassen. Finally if you belong to Sam's Club they have 5 pack safety glasses for around $12.00 or so in grey or brown. I've used these for yard work but believe it or not they do a decent job on the bike.

ceolwulf
03-23-2016, 09:14 PM
safety glasses

I have not tried them but Bolle make some pretty stylish safety glasses for short money. For example http://m.safetyglassesusa.com/253-cm-40050.html I would absolutely wear those on the bike. And there's quantity discounts, pretty cheap if you buy more than 60 pairs ;)

Dead Man
03-23-2016, 09:16 PM
yup.. i generally wear safety glasses. Durable, cheap, work

Tickdoc
03-23-2016, 09:24 PM
The Smith Pivlock series are the best cycling sunglasses I have ever owned (and I am a self-professed sunglasses whore). I still have many, many pairs of Oakley and Rudy Project shades, and have owned several Brikos as well. All I wear are the Smiths now.

Easy to change lenses (they come with 3), great warranty, terrific lens coverage, clear optics, versatile, and no top bar to obstruct your view when on the bike. I had an issue with one lens on the first pair I bought and Smith had a replacement in the mail before I returned the buggy lens. They come in regular sizing and "Max" for larger faces. I have worn both and the Max sizing suits me better.

You can usually find some variety of them on sale (check Nashbar or Steep & Cheap.com). Last set I bought went for about $65.00.

What he said.

ckamp
03-23-2016, 09:35 PM
I got some UVEX transition glasses last year, I really like them for cycling and running, they run clear in low light and darken right up when needed. Paid about 75USD on sale.

Similar to these:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/11/21/review-uvexs-lightweight-customizable-sgl-202-race-vario-photochromic-sunglasses/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p nut
03-23-2016, 09:45 PM

Me, too. Comes with 3 sets of lenses as well.

MagicHour
03-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Another happy Tifosi user. I've got multi-lens Dolomite 2.0 and Logic fototecs.Its usually a task for me to find eyewear that fit and look ok on me(prominent schnozzola) these worked out well and the optics are decent enough for the money.

oldpotatoe
03-24-2016, 05:06 AM
I need a recommendation new pair of reasonably priced (i.e., not Oakley) riding sunglasses for the summer. The lens for current Giro Haviks is toast.

I tried an inexpensive pair of Shimano glasses from Bike Tires Direct but they were too small - the frame obstructed my vision.

Thanks in advance.

Go to a LBS that sells Tifosi..probably made in the same place and the BIG $ ones, but lots less $.

http://www.tifosioptics.com/

If you need readers..

Dual Eyewear-I know the owner, good guy.

http://www.dualeyewear.com/?gclid=CKr_j-qW2csCFQusaQodsMMM2Q

Joxster
03-24-2016, 05:23 AM
I got some UVEX transition glasses last year, I really like them for cycling and running, they run clear in low light and darken right up when needed. Paid about 75USD on sale.

Similar to these:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/11/21/review-uvexs-lightweight-customizable-sgl-202-race-vario-photochromic-sunglasses/

Another vote for UVEX, they replaced my Rudys. Super light and quick to change colour

madsciencenow
03-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Ditto what tickdoc and berserk87 said! Love steepandcheap although sometimes you can find the same product for a dollar or two more with free shipping from backcountry, which is where steepandcheap inventory comes from to begin with.

cdn_bacon
03-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Smith Pivlock Arena v2

http://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men's/Sunglasses/New/PivLock%E2%84%A2-Arena/p/ANPCSPTSPK

3 lenses
light
don't pinch the nose
light
and awesome
(and light)

tlittlefield
03-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Another happy Tifosi user here (-;

Dead Man
03-24-2016, 08:33 AM
I tried to love Tifosi... But there was some fatal flaw with the like 5 different ones i tried out from REI

the Podiums were almost the perfect riding sunglass - color changing, open top, good perhipheral clearance... But they wouldnt stay on my damn face

MattTuck
03-24-2016, 08:38 AM
I have a buddy who crashed while wearing sunglasses with no bottom frame, and the lens cut his cheek below his eye.

Since then, I've often wondered if I should get something that has a frame all the way around the lens.

Dead Man
03-24-2016, 08:49 AM
I have a buddy who crashed while wearing sunglasses with no bottom frame, and the lens cut his cheek below his eye.

Since then, I've often wondered if I should get something that has a frame all the way around the lens.

Across the bottom is a good idea... See Oakly for big cheek protection

But on the bike - at least for a race/go hard set of glasses, i cannot stand a frame piece across the top. Cant see, when you got your head low!

Bradford
03-24-2016, 08:54 AM
The XX2i code is BEACH and it is for 55% off. At that price, they are practically free. I don't know how long it lasts.

I think the XX2i and Tifusi are similar glasses, I have both, but the XX2i fit my head better. For riding, I prefer the France 2 model. For off the bike, I have a couple of pairs of the USA 1 model. The advantage of having a couple of full rim glasses like the USA around is that you can use them for walking around and as a back up for riding or skiing if you forget your other glasses.

I have 4 active pairs of their glasses, two USAs and two France 2s, one set up with clear lenses. When you can get them for under $30 on sale, it is easy to have task-specific pairs.

batman1425
03-24-2016, 09:03 AM
I have a pair of Rudy Project Noyz w/ the photochromic lenses for sale in the classifieds. PM if interested.

berserk87
03-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Lo and behold, they Smith's are on sale via Nashbar at $62.99 with free shipping (discount is reflected in the cart):

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_588768_-1___204675

weisan
03-25-2016, 01:31 PM
Lo and behold, they Smith's are on sale via Nashbar at $62.99 with free shipping (discount is reflected in the cart):

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_588768_-1___204675

or the Arena
http://www.bikewagon.com/smith-optics-pivlock-arena-men-s-cycling-sunglasses?CAWELAID=400006350000525835&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=400006350000526087&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAjww9O3BRDp1tq0jIP023YSJAB0-j1SwD5Dn-MYzUoy1VwnEUzpYHxK_CW1D11nyMVV7SSAsRoCcvXw_wcB

Their difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuP8o01032A

berserk87
03-25-2016, 04:59 PM
or the Arena
http://www.bikewagon.com/smith-optics-pivlock-arena-men-s-cycling-sunglasses?CAWELAID=400006350000525835&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=400006350000526087&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAjww9O3BRDp1tq0jIP023YSJAB0-j1SwD5Dn-MYzUoy1VwnEUzpYHxK_CW1D11nyMVV7SSAsRoCcvXw_wcB

Their difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuP8o01032A

Bike Snack-bar has the Arena on sale too, I think. I have a pair of each and I can't tell the difference. Guess I will have to watch the You-toob vid.

regularguy412
03-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Smith Pivlock Arena v2

http://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men's/Sunglasses/New/PivLock%E2%84%A2-Arena/p/ANPCSPTSPK

3 lenses
light
don't pinch the nose
light
and awesome
(and light)

I've been looking for some replacements for my sunglasses, too.

Don't own them yet, but these are on sale at Bikewagon for what appears to be a reasonable price. Just purchased them tonite.

http://www.bikewagon.com/smith-optics-pivlock-arena-men-s-cycling-sunglasses?CAWELAID=400006350000525835&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=400006350000526087&cadevice=c&gclid=CLbb3LCm3csCFQusaQodlyYEDQ

Mike in AR:beer:

< I have no affiliation with Smith or Bikewagon>

KonaSS
03-26-2016, 05:31 AM
Nashbar has the Smith Arenas for $63 with free shipping this weekend.

fignon's barber
03-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Salice, made in Italy, style, can find them for $60-$70 on euro sites.

NickD
03-26-2016, 11:06 PM
Thanks Bradford. The BEACH discount code still working. I have had good luck with Rudy's. Hopefully the lens on these are as good and I really need the adjustable nosepieces these offer.

Joxster
03-27-2016, 02:10 AM

Ray Bans 😉😎😎

weisan
03-28-2016, 10:27 AM

So, under ベルセルク-pal strong recommendation, I purchased a pair of Smith Arena from Bikewagon last week at a discount. When I saw the same pair offered at Nashbar for a bit cheaper, I contacted BW and they were nice enough to do a price-match and refund me the difference. I received the sunglasses this morning and tried it on immediately. First thing I noticed is just how light the whole package is. Second thing is how nicely it wrapped around without putting too much pressure on the sides and yet seems to stay in place without any slip. Granted, I haven't take it out to be field-tested yet but the initial feel is good. The "frameless" design does seem to open up the overall vision without any blindspots or obstruction. Also the design of the nose piece managed to keep the bottom part of the lens away from touching the cheek. Basically, the overall first impressions were positive. And now coming to the most amazing part of the whole deal. I tried to switch out the lenses by following the simple 2-steps instructions given, being a bull in a china shop and a newbie to their lens removal system, I broke the tab on one side in the process. I was horrified! I called up Smith's hotline and told them exactly what happened and admitted that this was totally my fault. Without any pressure or delay, the customer rep promptly offered to send a replacement in the mail AT NO EXTRA CHARGE as a courtesy and making an exception. I was completely floored by the kind offer and needless to say, Smith just got themselves another very grateful and happy customer. :D

berserk87
03-28-2016, 04:27 PM
So, under ベルセルク-pal strong recommendation, I purchased a pair of Smith Arena from Bikewagon last week at a discount. When I saw the same pair offered at Nashbar for a bit cheaper, I contacted BW and they were nice enough to do a price-match and refund me the difference. I received the sunglasses this morning and tried it on immediately. First thing I noticed is just how light the whole package is. Second thing is how nicely it wrapped around without putting too much pressure on the sides and yet seems to stay in place without any slip. Granted, I haven't take it out to be field-tested yet but the initial feel is good. The "frameless" design does seem to open up the overall vision without any blindspots or obstruction. Also the design of the nose piece managed to keep the bottom part of the lens away from touching the cheek. Basically, the overall first impressions were positive. And now coming to the most amazing part of the whole deal. I tried to switch out the lenses by following the simple 2-steps instructions given, being a bull in a china shop and a newbie to their lens removal system, I broke the tab on one side in the process. I was horrified! I called up Smith's hotline and told them exactly what happened and admitted that this was totally my fault. Without any pressure or delay, the customer rep promptly offered to send a replacement in the mail AT NO EXTRA CHARGE as a courtesy and making an exception. I was completely floored by the kind offer and needless to say, Smith just got themselves another very grateful and happy customer. :D

That service is also what helped sell me.

I fudged one of the lens holes when I first changed the lenses. It caused the hole to become larger and the stem on that side would not stay tight. They replaced the lens with no problem.

Looking back, I would say that the best advice on the first lens change is to watch the video on Smith's website before trying it. Once you get the gist of how the lens fits into the stems, it's a piece of cake.

That service can pay off in the long run as, as our household now owns 5 different pairs of Smith shades. I have also made converts of 3 friends in my area.

LegendRider
03-28-2016, 04:40 PM
I got these for $27 shipped. Thanks for the code!

jt2gt
03-28-2016, 05:46 PM

I fudged one of the lens holes when I first changed the lenses. It caused the hole to become larger and the stem on that side would not stay tight. They replaced the lens with no problem.

Looking back, I would say that the best advice on the first lens change is to watch the video on Smith's website before trying it. Once you get the gist of how the lens fits into the stems, it's a piece of cake.

That service can pay off in the long run as, as our household now owns 5 different pairs of Smith shades. I have also made converts of 3 friends in my area.

Was about to get on here and rec. the pivlock and Smith service, but looks like a few folks already did. I love mine and Smith service really came through for me when an older pair of mine was damaged unexpectedly.

BTW...if you can score some of the smith photochromatic lenses at a good price, go for it. I like mine a bunch. Work great in the ever changing weather of NE ohio.

regularguy412
03-28-2016, 06:04 PM

+1 more on Smith Customer Service!

The nose pads wore completely out on an older pair of Smiths that I own. At the time, the glasses were at least 5 yrs old. I emailed customer service and they sent me not one but TWO sets of replacement pads! No charge, free shipping. I'll tell you, I never got that kind of support from Oakley and I owned at least 4 pairs of those,,, way back when.

Prolly get my Arenas tomorrow. Can't wait.

Mike in AR:beer:

F150
03-29-2016, 11:29 AM
yup.. i generally wear safety glasses. Durable, cheap, work

+1, especially with built-in readers to make roadside repairs easier.