PDA

View Full Version : Meivici, EPS, Ride Comparison?

luv2bike
03-23-2016, 06:46 AM
Hi,
To date my stable of bikes has been built around more traditional LBS type brands such as Giant (TCR and Defy), BMC (SLR01), Cervelo (RS and R5). Have had thoughts of trying a more exotic one. Lurking on the forum here I am being tempted by some of the posting for the Meivici's and Colnago EPS's. (that is about the limit of my current budget).
Can anyone provide opinions of the characteristics for both bikes? Would be especially interested if someone has had the good fortune to ride both.
Thanks for the help,
George

dustyrider
03-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Once you start down this road, you'll find yourself with both in short order.
I have no insights other than the above. Good luck in you search.

MattTuck
03-23-2016, 06:55 AM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/44872726.jpg

jimcav
03-23-2016, 07:58 PM
over the years and multiple Conago, but not that specific model (titanio, master, c40, c40 B-stay, c50 HP). Meivici was much more smooth, laser like tracking, pwr transfer. the 1st one i had was almost a bit too stiff for me (it was a JB cast-off on the old forum, may have been all 8.5). the next was sublime, best bike i had overall. Ended up as often happens needing cash and had to sell.

The various Colnago I had had much more "stable" trail and thus felt more sluggish to me. however i enjoyed riding them but i just prefer the other type of feel (same reason i preferred my Time VXRS and Ulteam over the colnago)
If you are in a major metro area, it is relatively easy to test out a colnago

happycampyer
03-23-2016, 09:51 PM
It's really hard to generalize for such a comparison. The generation before the EPS, Colnago produced three versions of the C-50: the Extreme-C, the C-50 and the Extreme Power. Afaik, the geometry was exactly the same, only the tubing stiffnesses were different (with the Extreme-C the lightest and least stiff, and the Extreme Power the stiffest). Now, a Meivici in the exact same size as a comparable Colnago could be made in every shade of stiffness from even less stiff than the Extreme-C to even stiffer than the Extreme Power. And geometry-wise (imo), a traditional Serotta/Bedford geometry is very similar to Colnago, with a slightly slacker headtube and a little more trail than a typical tour-level race bike. But if a customer wanted a quicker handing bike, the geometry would reflect that preference.

So to compare "a" MeiVici to the EPS is almost impossible. Without knowing more about a particular MeiVici (tubing selection and geometry), you might prefer it to the Colnago or you might not. I would guess that the stiffness of a "stock" MeiVici (i.e., a dealer demo, a GS, etc.) would be similar to the EPS, perhaps a tad more compliant.

christian
03-24-2016, 05:09 AM
That said, if you ride a 56-57, Happycampyer and I could potentially arrange a Meivici/Extreme Power (the EPS's* immediate predecessor) comparison ride. Can you get to Westchester County, NY?

* The NY Times Style guide has apparently changed their guidance on pluralization of shortenings to take an apostrophe. So I did it here, but it goes against every fiber of my being. I will check the AP guide for its recommended usage when I get home.

OtayBW
03-24-2016, 05:22 AM
that said, if you ride a 56-57, happycampyer and i could potentially arrange a meivici/extreme power (the eps's* immediate predecessor) comparison ride. Can you get to westchester county, ny?

* the ny times style guide has apparently changed their guidance on pluralization of shortenings to take an apostrophe. So i did it here, but it goes against every fiber of my being. I will check the ap guide for its recommended usage when i get home.* Fail!! (IMNSHO...). The New York Times's argument seems ridikolous! :no:

happycampyer
03-24-2016, 06:27 AM
That said, if you ride a 56-57, Happycampyer and I could potentially arrange a Meivici/Extreme Power (the EPS's* immediate predecessor) comparison ride. Can you get to Westchester County, NY?

* The NY Times Style guide has apparently changed their guidance on pluralization of shortenings to take an apostrophe. So I did it here, but it goes against every fiber of my being. I will check the AP guide for its recommended usage when I get home.

I struggle with that rule constantly especially here, where a lot of things end in "s" or could end in "s," such as whether to use "Zipp 303s" or "Zipp 303's" as the plural--I'll end up using the latter or, if possible, try to rewrite the sentence to avoid the plural.

In your sentence, the apastrophe is appropriate since it connotes the singular possessive ("the EPS's predecessor").

As far as a test ride goes, since I picked up and built up sachae's cast-off C-50, we could do quite a comparo. I still think my custom MeiVici is the best riding of the bunch, which isn't a surprise since I still find it the nicest riding bike I've ever ridden.

christian
03-24-2016, 06:29 AM
As far as a test ride goes, since I picked up and built up sachae's cast-off C-50, we could do quite a comparo. I still think my custom MeiVici is the best riding of the bunch, which isn't a surprise since I still find it the nicest riding bike I've ever ridden.

Oh goodness, can I do a C50/EPS test? That would be amazing!

You're absolutely right on the possessive of course.

luv2bike
03-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Hi,
Really appreciate the insights and offers of a "test". That would be a fun outing.
I am actually not that far away (Hamilton, ON). Will definitely keep the offer in mind.
Regarding some of the comments about customized Meivici's (or should that be Meivicis' :) ), lets just go with a stock frame. Actually have been drooling about the one Team Murray has for sale. I fit most manufacturers' 56 sizing. Strong for my age, but since I'm old that = pretty weak.
Thanks
George

christian
03-24-2016, 01:54 PM
George, is that you inviting me and Bill to come up for a ride and you're treating to coffee at Domestique-Cafe in Dundas? That sounds lovely. What weekends are good for you?

Joachim
03-24-2016, 02:09 PM
I had a C50 and now own a Meivici (all 8.5 stiffness for the tubes) and the Meivici is more lively than the C50. While the C50 was an excellent bike, the Meivici rides more like a steel frame with vibration damping, while the C50 was a lot more muted. I realize its not a EPS and but I would really like to compare a C60 to the Meivici. I think its really important to know the stiffness level of a Meivici since they can ride a lot different compared to each other.

pdmtong
03-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Hi,
Really appreciate the insights and offers of a "test". That would be a fun outing.
I am actually not that far away (Hamilton, ON). Will definitely keep the offer in mind. Regarding some of the comments about customized Meivici's (or should that be Meivicis' :) ), lets just go with a stock frame. Actually have been drooling about the one Team Murray has for sale. I fit most manufacturers' 56 sizing. Strong for my age, but since I'm old that = pretty weak. Thanks
George

I can vouch for Team Murray and his Meivici for sale...in fact I just saw both he and the bike yesterday.

IMHO you nailed the problem with buying "used" upper-end custom-only serotta's

unless you have the build sheet and ride intent, it could be a disaster even if the geo seems a match. with "stock" you get the best of all albeit perhaps more neutral than you would have spec'd. then again, you are not paying the outrageous prices of old.

happycampyer
03-24-2016, 04:44 PM
I think the plural of "MeiVici" is "MeiVicae." Team Murray's MeiVici is a great-looking frame. Given its size and the fact that it is stock, I would expect that the tubes are all 8.5 stiffness, and the geo is pretty neutral. Demo bikes were typically made to the same specs, and were designed to "wow" people into wanting a MeiVici over ready-made options. That bike would certainly be a great place to start, and may be all you could ever want.

Black Dog
03-24-2016, 06:14 PM
George, is that you inviting me and Bill to come up for a ride and you're treating to coffee at Domestique-Cafe in Dundas? That sounds lovely. What weekends are good for you?

The cafe is no longer in business. 😥

wallymann
03-25-2016, 10:25 AM
...The generation before the EPS, Colnago produced three versions of the C-50: the Extreme-C, the C-50 and the Extreme Power. Afaik, the geometry was exactly the same, only the tubing stiffnesses were different (with the Extreme-C the lightest and least stiff, and the Extreme Power the stiffest)....

fwiw...this is not entirely correct.

C40 -> C50 -> ExtremePower/ExtremeC

the Extreme twins were a *successor* to the C50, they are not variations on the C50. tube profiles diffferent, chainstays different, fork different -- they're different!

your point about geometry being consistent is correct (assuming non-custom build).

colnago geometry changed across-the-board with the advent of the integrated headset designs, which came immediately after the Extreme twins.