PDA

View Full Version : Parlee/Build question

CNY rider
06-14-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm building the Parlee I got in a trade for my Ottrott (BTW, the Parlee Z1X is a really smokin' hot looking bike). My other road bikes have mounts on the head tube for the derailleur cables, with a thumb-screw adjustment that goes in the mount and can be used for small adjustments of the cable. The Parlee has mounts on the origin of the downtube, just past the lug,but they are not threaded.

Do I just put cable housing ends in there, and lose that ability to make adjustments? The mounts are not threaded, so I don't see how any adjustors could be screwed in there.

Thanks!

SoCalSteve
06-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Are you sure that there isnt a hole that you can mount a cable guide adjuster to? These guides come with all Shimano shifters. I'd be more than happy to send you a set. I have tons of extras.

Look on the side of the potrusion (on the down tube). I am sure there is a place (hole) to thread these adjusters into.

PM if you need more help.

Steve

ergott
06-14-2006, 07:08 PM
You need in-line barrel adjusters. I've built bikes without the, but it is a pain sometimes. The rear mech had an adjuster so you don't need a second, but the front takes some time getting the cable clamped in the right place. It can be done for the weight weenie in all of us.

CNY rider
06-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Steve: Negative on the threaded hole. There's a guide on the outside of the downtube, but it's just a slotted guide, unthreaded.

ergott: Where would you find such devices for sale? Do they go by any other names?

Thanks guys!

ergott
06-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Steve: Negative on the threaded hole. There's a guide on the outside of the downtube, but it's just a slotted guide, unthreaded.

ergott: Where would you find such devices for sale? Do they go by any other names?

Thanks guys!

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=83&subcategory=1038&brand=&sku=11618&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

eddief
06-14-2006, 08:18 PM
oh by the way have I mentioned how much I like my OCR C lately?

I installed these things where the cable exits from the shifters. You might also be able to slide them into the stop thingies on your downtube. They work remarkably well and look decent to my eye.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=BR4048

Peter P.
06-14-2006, 09:25 PM
You need "in-line" cable adjusters. Tom Ritchey makes a set; they connect to STI shifters where the cable exits the lever. I don't believe they would work with Campy levers, however.

For Campy levers (also STI compatible), you could try in-line adjusters like those used on some older Cannondale models. They look like a short length of licorice, with a stub of cable housing on one end. If using Campy levers, the housing stub would be installed at your housing stop on the downtube, then the adjuster/licorice piece, then the normal housing as it makes it's way to the lever. Check with any Cannondale dealer.

eddief
06-14-2006, 09:37 PM
http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/c/COMPCBLADJ

The second ones shown look like they'd fit the downtube stops.

alancw3
06-15-2006, 04:31 AM
my 2006 c'dale six13 uses the inline cable adjustors. actually looks like they are part of the shimano cable housing. possibly stop by a c'dale dealer and check out the installation on one of their bikes to get an idea of how it works.

malcolm
06-15-2006, 11:11 PM
I've just built a z3 in the past couple of weeks and they came on the frame. Little barrel adjusters. I had to go into the basement to be sure. I'd call parlee.