PDA

View Full Version : seatpost shims - good or bad?

d_douglas
03-22-2016, 11:33 AM
I am toying with buying a used dropper post. I have a 30.9mm FS bike and a 31.6mm HT bike, so I am thinking of buying a 30.9mm to all use between both frames.

I see that you can buy such a shim for a few bux, but is it a good idea?

I am thinking of a Specialized internally routed Command Post for this purpose - any thoughts on this post? Reliable is my top priority, so low-ish tech is good. I know Reverbs work great, but that's only when they aren't being warrantied.

CMiller
03-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Use a metal shim and it should work fine. Problem Solvers seems confident in their product!

http://problemsolversbike.com/blog/comments/new_seatpost_shim_size

I'd definitely go for a long purpose-built metal shim over a homebrew contraption, there is a lot of leverage in the posts for mountain bikes with all that post usually showing.

CMiller
03-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Sorry I focused on the shim part, don't know as much about dropper posts for a good recommendation!

vqdriver
03-22-2016, 01:16 PM
if you want simple dimple, look at gravity dropper

re shims, they're just a part. think of it like a bottle cage bolt. it serves a purpose and for what you're doing, should work just fine. if you feel you have to overtorque, just apply carbon paste.

fyi, it will be tricky to isolate any movement with a dropper post since it could be stanchion/lower, or lower/seattube.

d_douglas
03-22-2016, 02:26 PM
if you want simple dimple, look at gravity dropper

re shims, they're just a part. think of it like a bottle cage bolt. it serves a purpose and for what you're doing, should work just fine. if you feel you have to overtorque, just apply carbon paste.

fyi, it will be tricky to isolate any movement with a dropper post since it could be stanchion/lower, or lower/seattube.

Yes, I agree on the shim thing. My MTB guru friend is telling me they're not good, but I think its because he likes perfection vs flexibility ;).

My new frame has fixin's for an internally routed dropper, so I kind of want to get a stealth system. It has to be a used model for cost reasons. The Specialized posts seem to get great reviews, and that is relative to the fact that no dropper post is particularly reliable.

Still not sold, but would love to try on the cheap. No $500 Thomson droppers for me.

vqdriver
03-22-2016, 02:36 PM
stealthy better for sure, especially if your frame's provisioned for it.

the rs is supposed to be good, tho anything with hydraulics (seals) is inherently more complex.

you'll like dropper posts. i tried it, liked it, but kept forgetting to use it. lol

d_douglas
03-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Yes, everyone local to me who rides says that they never new they ever needed it until they tried it, and now they can't do without it.

My riding buddy says he uses the dropper more than he shifts. I don't notice his post as up or down (I am too far behind him) but he rides very well and attributes his abilities partially to the dropper post because he doesn't have to stop to lower the saddle.

pdmtong
03-22-2016, 03:33 PM
I am toying with buying a used dropper post. I have a 30.9mm FS bike and a 31.6mm HT bike, so I am thinking of buying a 30.9mm to all use between both frames.

I see that you can buy such a shim for a few bux, but is it a good idea?

I am thinking of a Specialized internally routed Command Post for this purpose - any thoughts on this post? Reliable is my top priority, so low-ish tech is good. I know Reverbs work great, but that's only when they aren't being warrantied.

a shim is fine, but are you really going to be moving the dropper between frames? that seems like an unnecessary PITA especially since you are routing internally

TEMPLE
03-22-2016, 03:50 PM
I have the Command Post. I just got it for my FS29er project, so I can't comment too much on function yet, but lots of guys here say it's very reliable. I like that it's air sprung and pumps up with a standard shock pump. As a complete dropper newbie, I found the instructions daunting at first, but easy once I got going and followed the steps.

I don't know about switching it between bikes, however. There are a lot of parts and it might be a big pain in the ass to disassemble and reassemble. Plus, I'm not sure if your FS and HT would have the same cable length requirements. Seems unlikely to me. This might be a factor because the instructions say it's important to nail the cable tension for proper function. And, if you internally route the cable, add to the pain in the ass factor of switching between bikes.

TEMPLE

d_douglas
03-22-2016, 04:07 PM
I guess what I meant to say is that I might put it on my hardtail and then not like it, so I can switch it to my FS bike. If I don't like it then, it would appear that I don't like dropper posts ;).

Yes, moving stealth droppers would be a dumb idea.

Paul, didnt you also have a Command Post before? I think you might've just sold it a few months ago, and I deliberated on buying it, but backed out.

TEMPLE
03-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Are you mostly riding the Dump? If it was me, I'd put a dropper on the FS bike first, then buy another one for the HT if you find you can't live without it. In fact, that is pretty much what I am doing! I've only ridden at the Dump a few times, but it strikes me as solid FS territory. For mortals like me, anyhow.

As it happens, I'm also told that when I start riding with a dropper, I'll never go back. I'm skeptical (QRs have served me well for years) and curious. In any case, the dropper is going on the most "capable" bike in my herd first. That is, the bike that will be the one I am most likely to ride in places where I want my junk rubbing the back tire gets the dropper.

pdmtong
03-22-2016, 04:34 PM
I guess what I meant to say is that I might put it on my hardtail and then not like it, so I can switch it to my FS bike. If I don't like it then, it would appear that I don't like dropper posts ;).

Yes, moving stealth droppers would be a dumb idea.

Paul, didnt you also have a Command Post before? I think you might've just sold it a few months ago, and I deliberated on buying it, but backed out.
D - it was a lower end KS I sold. Was planing on using that until I bought a command post which will be installed on my Stumpie shortly. While I would prefer a Lev, the 3 position command post will be fine to start. While initially it might seem limiting, in fact three positions around here is all you really need. Ala FOX C-T-D....my wife has a D.O.S.S. and loves it. Are you mostly riding the Dump? If it was me, I'd put a dropper on the FS bike first, then buy another one for the HT if you find you can't live without it. In fact, that is pretty much what I am doing! I've only ridden at the Dump a few times, but it strikes me as solid FS territory. For mortals like me, anyhow.

As it happens, I'm also told that when I start riding with a dropper, I'll never go back. I'm skeptical (QRs have served me well for years) and curious. In any case, the dropper is going on the most "capable" bike in my herd first. That is, the bike that will be the one I am most likely to ride in places where I want my junk rubbing the back tire gets the dropper.
I would agree with this. Put the post on the FS so you have the most options with the best bike.

JWDR
03-22-2016, 04:51 PM
I went with the 30.9 covert Thomson with Problem Solvers shim for my 2012 Trek Rumblefish. I figured the 30.9 was more versatile overall and have had zero issues on the first 50-60 miles this year. When I bought my seatpost it was going for under $400 from CRC.