PDA

View Full Version : Carbon disc rim recommendations

d_douglas
03-21-2016, 11:56 PM
I am wondering what options for carbon disc rims are out there if I already have disc hubs? I know ENVE is the grand master of the rim industry and they are appealing, though expensive.

Where do I look for a set of carbon 28hole disc clincher rims of good quality? I am thinking of good deals on ENVE 29er rims/ Reynolds / others?

This is a long term plan for a set of beautiful 'lifetime' type of wheelset - I am not sure when this would happen, but am starting to look.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

sevencyclist
03-22-2016, 12:20 AM
If you are looking for MTB carbon rims, then Derby has 28 holes rims for 700c (29"). I assume okay for the road, but would probably only fit much bigger tires like 38 or above.

http://www.derbyrims.com/technical-specs---faq-s.html

d_douglas
03-22-2016, 12:44 AM
Yes, I didn't mention that - it would be for a roadish type bike. Think HED Belgium plus type rims, but in carbon and maybe 40mm deep...

ergott
03-22-2016, 03:16 AM
http://noxcomposites.com/a36d

Great rims. Capable of road tire pressures unlike most 29er carbon rims.

justaute
03-22-2016, 05:28 AM
I have heard the Nox a36d rims are nice. I have a set of its MTB wheels and can attest the quality.

Also, Dustin at Southern Wheelworks built-up a set of road/gravel/CX, all-purpose wheels using these rims from Venn. So far, my initial impression of them is pretty good. Not enough miles on them to make the final call. Dustin is now a dealer for Venn (plux Nox and others). Give him a ring. He's a good dude. ***oh, pardon my noobiness. I usually post on Velocipedesalon.***

http://www.venn-cycling.com/?_ptc=1

jwess1234
03-22-2016, 09:16 AM
I was in a similar, but slightly different boat--looking for a road + gravel rim in carbon (also tubeless ready). I ended up going with the Enve XC wheels (I still don't trust hookless for high pressure road even though the guy at Enve said they would be fine with 25s up to 100PSI). Other top options were the Bontrager Aeolus TLR 3 (maybe my best bet, but too expensive), Reynolds ATR (maybe a tad to wide internally for 25mm, 23 is a def no go).

I looked into, but didn't go with the following rims for the following reasons - Nox A36D (saw a post that they weren't the best for tubeless) and Venn rim (looks interesting, but would like to wait until the carbon wrapping technology is second gen... also, not a huge weight savings from aluminum).

If you don't need to have tubeless, I would add the Zipp 202/303, and Enve 3.4 to the list.

d_douglas
03-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks for this information; I have never heard of Venn rims.

As for others, I suspect that I would want the option of tubeless, though I haven't determined that as I have never used tubeless on a bike with narrow tires (well, other than CX).

Can you buy a Zipp rim? Aside from the cost, any downsides? Somehow, I got the feeling that they weren't available unless as a warranty issue or a full wheel set?

The Nox rims sound like a good option...

I have a set of King R45 Campy hubs on Iron Cross rims now and while they are nicely built, I wouldn't have an issue with breaking down the wheels to rebuild the hubs onto a carbon rim set. I might end up selling the entire wheelset and starting fresh with something like a DT350 or a Hope hubset - not sure yet.

Thanks for your input...