PDA

View Full Version : garmin 810 being phased out?

joe.e
03-21-2016, 10:17 PM
Finally decided to bite the bullet and pick up a gps with my rei coupon (yea, I know, its not gonna work for the full 20%), but it looks like the 810 is no longer being offered at rei. I checked, like, a month ago and it was there. Looks like its popped up on sale at quite a few places as well in the last month or so.

So, in light of the relatively new 520, do you think the 810 is about to get a refresh?

Muffin Man
03-21-2016, 10:38 PM
Garmin has basically phased out the 510 and the 810 with their new lineup.

The Edge 20 and 25 are for the ones that just want a simple gps computer that doesn't take up much bar real-estate, the 520 for the more performance oriented but want better battery life and a smaller screen, and the 1000 for users that want maps and more screen space.

There just isn't much sense to include the 810 and the 510 in that line anymore because they don't do anything better than the 520 or the 1000, with the exception of the 510 using touch-screen instead of the buttons of the 520.

bloody sunday
03-21-2016, 10:39 PM
Garmin has basically phased out the 510 and the 810 with their new lineup.

The Edge 20 and 25 are for the ones that just want a simple gps computer that doesn't take up much bar real-estate, the 520 for the more performance oriented but want better battery life and a smaller screen, and the 1000 for users that want maps and more screen space.

There just isn't much sense to include the 810 and the 510 in that line anymore because they don't do anything better than the 520 or the 1000, with the exception of the 510 using touch-screen instead of the buttons of the 520.

the 520's battery life is atrocious. Makes me wish I never sold my 510 :(

simonov
03-22-2016, 07:55 AM
the 520's battery life is atrocious. Makes me wish I never sold my 510 :(

Bad unit maybe? My 520 battery life is fine.

bloody sunday
03-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Bad unit maybe? My 520 battery life is fine.

how many rides can you get on a charge? I do three rides and I'm below 50%

EPIC! Stratton
03-22-2016, 08:17 AM
I've done about a 6-8 on mine on a charge. I think DC rainmaker may have a post re settings to change to increase battery life.

Edit: rides vary from trainer rides to 20-50mi outdoor rides and .5-3.5hrs I think.

josephr
03-22-2016, 08:18 AM
I think there's a lot of inconsistency with Garmin and batteries...my old 810 would seemingly go 15-18hrs of riding time...it died and Garmin replaced with a refurb...the refurb gets 8-10 hours tops.

simonov
03-22-2016, 08:32 AM
how many rides can you get on a charge? I do three rides and I'm below 50%

My typical saturday ride is between 5-6 hours and I make sure it's 100% charged at the start. I'm usually around 60% at the end of the ride and that's with a PM and HRM collecting data. Sure, that doesn't compare to the battery life of my old Cateye Strada, but given how much it's doing I think it's fine.

benb
03-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Can anyone comment on the state of the Edge 1000 while we're at it?

I currently use a Fenix 3 (watch). It's in the range of the Edge 5xx in terms of features for cycling. It basically does everything but mapping, but it's a really small screen. It has all the Bluetooth auto-upload stuff, Live Tracking, etc..

The problem is while I really like using it for cycling I am finding I don't want to wear a watch anymore.. I haven't been wearing it for a while and I am kind of finding my wrist feels better. In particular the combination of some kinds of exercise while having a big heavy watch on is not great for my wrist.

So I'm thinking of maybe getting rid of my Fenix 3 and getting and Edge unit. It seems like the 1000 is the way to go.

The Fenix 3 had pretty incomplete software when it first came out and Garmin has been very active in patching it and adding more features to it. It's really a pretty incredible device particularly if you were using it for Run/Swim/Bike/Activity Tracking/Smartwatch.

The early reviews of the Edge 1000 by say DC Rainmaker make it sound like it was really buggy, but I look at the Garmin Forum and it seems like they are still patching it and people are pretty happy.

I do find the Fenix 3 annoying for power based/guided workouts. Just not enough screen real estate and programming detailed workouts into it and relying on it to tell you HR/Power zones and alarm when you go out of the zone just doesn't work real well. I would hope that is better on the Edge, although it's not a big deal as I've just gotten used to memorizing detailed workouts and then just hitting the lap button when the time is right. In some ways it just works better as it's easier to adapt to say a stoplight or something that would throw off the workout.

Getting mapping would obviously be a big bonus too. I have a eTrex that I use occasionally when I need navigation that I could eliminate as well if I got an Edge 1000. Carrying the eTrex + the F3 is totally weird/nutty.

bloody sunday
03-22-2016, 11:26 AM
My typical saturday ride is between 5-6 hours and I make sure it's 100% charged at the start. I'm usually around 60% at the end of the ride and that's with a PM and HRM collecting data. Sure, that doesn't compare to the battery life of my old Cateye Strada, but given how much it's doing I think it's fine.

Can anyone comment on the state of the Edge 1000 while we're at it?

I currently use a Fenix 3 (watch). It's in the range of the Edge 5xx in terms of features for cycling. It basically does everything but mapping, but it's a really small screen. It has all the Bluetooth auto-upload stuff, Live Tracking, etc..

The problem is while I really like using it for cycling I am finding I don't want to wear a watch anymore.. I haven't been wearing it for a while and I am kind of finding my wrist feels better. In particular the combination of some kinds of exercise while having a big heavy watch on is not great for my wrist.

So I'm thinking of maybe getting rid of my Fenix 3 and getting and Edge unit. It seems like the 1000 is the way to go.

The Fenix 3 had pretty incomplete software when it first came out and Garmin has been very active in patching it and adding more features to it. It's really a pretty incredible device particularly if you were using it for Run/Swim/Bike/Activity Tracking/Smartwatch.

The early reviews of the Edge 1000 by say DC Rainmaker make it sound like it was really buggy, but I look at the Garmin Forum and it seems like they are still patching it and people are pretty happy.

I do find the Fenix 3 annoying for power based/guided workouts. Just not enough screen real estate and programming detailed workouts into it and relying on it to tell you HR/Power zones and alarm when you go out of the zone just doesn't work real well. I would hope that is better on the Edge, although it's not a big deal as I've just gotten used to memorizing detailed workouts and then just hitting the lap button when the time is right. In some ways it just works better as it's easier to adapt to say a stoplight or something that would throw off the workout.

Getting mapping would obviously be a big bonus too. I have a eTrex that I use occasionally when I need navigation that I could eliminate as well if I got an Edge 1000. Carrying the eTrex + the F3 is totally weird/nutty.
is mapping a deal breaker for you? I would just stick with a 520. It's lighter, and does everything the 1000 does, except touch screen - which is actually a feature for those of you who wear full-fingered gloves half the year.

old fat man
03-22-2016, 11:57 AM
is mapping a deal breaker for you? I would just stick with a 520. It's lighter, and does everything the 1000 does, except touch screen - which is actually a feature for those of you who wear full-fingered gloves half the year.

Is touch screen on the 1000 worse than it is on the 800? I have no problem with the touchscreen on my 800 in the coldest of New England days. I can easily navigate the 800 with thick winter gloves.

bloody sunday
03-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Is touch screen on the 1000 worse than it is on the 800? I have no problem with the touchscreen on my 800 in the coldest of New England days. I can easily navigate the 800 with thick winter gloves.

they have the same resistive touch screen

simonov
03-22-2016, 12:18 PM
FWIW, I ended up with a 520 after my 810 got condensation under the screen. The touchscreen was great up until that point. Then every time I turned it on the unit thought I was trying to touch everything at once and would go into factory reset mode. I'm glad to be using a 520 with old school buttons now.

R3awak3n
03-22-2016, 12:57 PM
I was waiting for a 820 but I guess that would compete directly with the 1000 and they would be pretty similar. I was hoping the 820 would be like a 520 but with maps.

livingminimal
03-22-2016, 06:13 PM
520 is amazing. I cant stand touch screen. I love Bluetooth. I love favorite segments on Strava. Yeah, it's really, really good.

No issues with battery life either. if I do six rides a week, I just give it a quick 30 minute charge whenever my day off is.

rnhood
03-22-2016, 07:26 PM

Touch screen works great on my 800 also. Maybe the 810 operates differently. The 1000 also works well. But my 800 has been really good and I feel naked when I forget it (which is fortunately a rare occurrence.