PDA

View Full Version : Saddle recs? Flat (no rise in back), firm, med-narrow, less curve than Arione....

stuckinthecity
03-21-2016, 07:48 AM
Approaching "the one."

I'm currently on an Arione and like it: the firmness, the straight, no-nonsense profile, the long tail, the long rails, etc. It's checks most of the boxes for me.

But it would be better it had slightly less curvature (across the shorter dimension, that is). Flat is very important to me. I don't get along with flared rises in the rear.

The reason for my search is that I don't need a saddle with a cutout or channel, however the Arione has slightly too much pressure in the perineum area. I'm not interested in gel bags or leather for this particular bike.

Seen any saddles that match the description?

rustychisel
03-21-2016, 07:58 AM
must try the Antares.

Slightly too wide for me and a little inner thigh undercut, but ticks boxes for your criteria

MesiJezi
03-21-2016, 08:46 AM
must try the Antares.

Slightly too wide for me and a little inner thigh undercut, but ticks boxes for your criteria

Bingo--it's a great saddle and sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Not the new Antares versus. The original one that looks like this:

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/bikes-and-gear/components/saddles/1229420653661-9mdb2p574f0v-700-80.jpg

FlashUNC
03-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Tried the Arione CX?

benb
03-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Have you considered whether you might want to try moving the saddle down a little?

I am relatively new to the Arione but have it on 2 bikes now and I've noticed the "hump" from side to side feels more pronounced as the saddle moves up out of the optimum range.

I have not totally nailed it down but the Arione seems better for me when it's about 3-5mm lower than the saddle I was using previously.

I picked up my bike from the shop saturday and the seat was a tad high and I thought I would just try it and I went out and rode 3+ hours yesterday and it definitely felt like a totally different saddle, just like you describe. Whereas last weekend I had rode 3+ hours on it with the seat 5mm lower and the saddle literally disappeared, it was the best ride of the past 20 years for me in terms of saddle comfort. It kind of blew me away.

If you really want a flatter profile from side to side it seems like there are tons of options as that seems to be in vogue.. most of the Specialized saddles, Bontrager saddles, Prologo, etc.. all seem to be more flat side to side.

The more curved profile of the Arione definitely works far better for me.

skiezo
03-21-2016, 08:51 AM
You may want to check out the Prologo line of saddles. I tried quite a few in my quest and ended up with a few of there saddles.
What about one of the Selle SLR saddles. They are flat and not to wide.
I rode an older slr xp for a number of years and found it good up to about 40/50 miles.

Steve in SLO
03-21-2016, 08:55 AM
You might try a Specialized Toupe. It does have a cut out, but is pretty darn flat in both directions

jt2gt
03-21-2016, 10:44 AM
SLR flow...flat, light and the cutout is not very noticeable. Went to these years back after flight, alianta etc and they work. Easy to move around positions on the saddle as well.

JT

uber
03-21-2016, 12:11 PM
SLR's are pretty flat. The Flite is a bit wider and pretty flat too.

djg21
03-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Approaching "the one."

I'm currently on an Arione and like it: the firmness, the straight, no-nonsense profile, the long tail, the long rails, etc. It's checks most of the boxes for me.

But it would be better it had slightly less curvature (across the shorter dimension, that is). Flat is very important to me. I don't get along with flared rises in the rear.

The reason for my search is that I don't need a saddle with a cutout or channel, however the Arione has slightly too much pressure in the perineum area. I'm not interested in gel bags or leather for this particular bike.

Seen any saddles that match the description?

If you've generally liked the Arione, how about the Kurve in that shape. i find in incredibly comfortable -- and better than the regular Arione I keep in my spare bike.

binouye
03-21-2016, 03:28 PM
SLR is good for me, but I also have an Ergon I like. Very flat, with slight lower channel in middle. You might try the Ergon saddles? Nice in that you can choose the rear width too. The carbon rail version was on clearance prices at some outlets a couple months ago, but I haven't searched recently.

OtayBW
03-21-2016, 03:34 PM
SLR Kit Carbonio or Kit Carbonio Flow...

Climb01742
03-21-2016, 03:38 PM
SLR Kit Carbonio or Kit Carbonio Flow...

Do the Kit Carbinio's feel any different than regular SLR's out on the road? Is the ride better? Or are they just lighter? Thanks!

OtayBW
03-21-2016, 04:10 PM
Do the Kit Carbinio's feel any different than regular SLR's out on the road? Is the ride better? Or are they just lighter? Thanks!Cannot say, Climb. I've just been on the Kit Carbonios forever it seems like. Perfect saddle for me. I think the shape/cut/dimensions are the same (save the cut-out on the Flow model) with the same thinnish, firm padding. Rails are obviously carbon in the Kit Carbonio. If I had to guess, I'd say the SLR is very similar, and probably a more cost-effective version.

stuckinthecity
03-21-2016, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the Kurve but found it too wide for me. My thighs would rub the edges.

I really like every single thing about the Arione but just want it to be slightly flatter. So perhaps I'll try the Antares next.

Cheers!

djg21
03-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the Kurve but found it too wide for me. My thighs would rub the edges.

I really like every single thing about the Arione but just want it to be slightly flatter. So perhaps I'll try the Antares next.

Cheers!

Which Kurve did you try? The three models available are exactly the same shape as the Aliante, Arione and Antares. I figured a Snake/Arione might work with the stiff tubing insert to make the top former and flatter. My understanding is that of all the Fizik saddles, the Arione has the narrowest wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parris
03-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Maybe a Nago Evo would work.

alexstar
03-21-2016, 06:14 PM
For me the Aliante VS is perfect. Try the Arione VS and the Antares VS also. The cutout makes a big difference in my experience.

stuckinthecity
03-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Which Kurve did you try? The three models available are exactly the same shape as the Aliante, Arione and Antares. I figured a Snake/Arione might work with the stiff tubing insert to make the top former and flatter. My understanding is that off all the Fizik saddles, the Arione has the narrowest wings.

I tried the Kurve Chameleon. It was most certainly not the same shape as the Arione.

stuckinthecity
03-21-2016, 09:16 PM
For me the Aliante VS is perfect. Try the Arione VS and the Antares VS also. The cutout makes a big difference in my experience.

I tried the Arione VS. That was one of the several saddles I tried that made me realize that I don't get along with cutouts or channels. I need the distributed, contiguous support down there. Cutouts put too much pressure on my sit bones on long rides.

pdmtong
03-21-2016, 09:53 PM
In my experience Arione is extremely tilt sensitive. Patience required and willingness to do multiple during ride adjustment

Once I got mine dialed poof gone disappear 100/9500'

If not right ouch sore meh

stuckinthecity
03-21-2016, 10:15 PM
In my experience Arione is extremely tilt sensitive. Patience required and willingness to do multiple during ride adjustment

Once I got mine dialed poof gone disappear 100/9500'

If not right ouch sore meh

Agreed. I did a lot of testing. Adjusted the screws on my Thomson post a quarter-turn at the end of each ride. Kept doing it until I found the best angle. It's a lot of trial and error. Like I said, it's about perfect for me except for what I mentioned.

djg21
03-22-2016, 04:18 AM
I tried the Kurve Chameleon. It was most certainly not the same shape as the Arione.

The Kurve Snake is the narrower and flatter shape of the Arione. The Chamaleon shares the wider, curved shape of the Antares; the Bull is the Aliante which is the widest, most hammock-like saddle in the line.

HillDancer
03-22-2016, 07:52 AM
Ergon SR3 series saddles are flat, very flat.
http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/pages/sr3-special
http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/srx-3-pro

I have an SRX3-M Pro in Classifieds (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=183390).

EDS
03-22-2016, 08:40 AM

Cheers!

Have you tried the newer versions of the Arione (r1, r3, r5)? Feels a little flatter to my tush and the nose feels a little wider, though I have not bothered to measure against the older Ariones in the stable.

stuckinthecity
03-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Have you tried the newer versions of the Arione (r1, r3, r5)? Feels a little flatter to my tush and the nose feels a little wider, though I have not bothered to measure against the older Ariones in the stable.

Which of the two you mentioned do you think has a flatter profile?

Macadamia
03-22-2016, 02:59 PM
Arione VS has raised sides, creating a semi cut-out kind of thing, maybe that could work?
https://coresites-cdn.factorymedia.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/IMG_8199.jpg

EDS
03-22-2016, 05:18 PM
Which of the two you mentioned do you think has a flatter profile?

Newer version - so I feel like the Arione R1 on one of my bikes is flatter than the Arione CXs I have used otherwise. I also feel like the R1 has a wider nose. I have not measured the saddles but that is my seat-of-the-pants impression.

I did try the Antares a few years ago and that did not work for me at all, which was surprising, as I had high hopes.

Duende
03-22-2016, 10:50 PM
Check out the prologo line... Great saddles, flat and have a few widths and degree of firmness to choose from.

stuckinthecity
03-23-2016, 07:57 AM
Arione VS has raised sides, creating a semi cut-out kind of thing, maybe that could work?
https://coresites-cdn.factorymedia.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/IMG_8199.jpg

I tried the Arione VS. That was one of the several saddles I tried that made me realize that I don't get along with cutouts or channels. I need the distributed, contiguous support down there. Cutouts put too much pressure on my sit bones on long rides.

stuckinthecity
03-28-2016, 08:35 AM
Just for S&Gs I dropped my seatpost a full centimeter and moved the Arione almost as far back as I could on my Thomson Elite setback.

After 10 miles it felt like a drastic change, and mostly for the better. I then switched to a new Antares R5 and that also felt good, although now maybe even slightly too wide.

One distinguishing trait is that the Wingflex on the Arione is more noticeable to me.

First impression is that I'd be happy with either saddle. I'll alternate for a while before deciding. My sitbone distance is 130mm. I wouldn't think the Arione would work but it does, at least for now. The slight change in my hip angle makes it easier to hit the narrow area of my sitbones. Whether that'll be comfortable on long rides will be interesting to find out.

lucasfarr92
03-30-2016, 09:54 PM
Less curve than the Arione?

Try the Prologo ZERO.

Bob Ross
03-31-2016, 08:04 AM
Seen any saddles that match the description?[Flat (no rise in back), firm, med-narrow, less curve than Arione]

Selle San Marco Aspide

I don't get along with cutouts or channels.

Oops, nevermind.