PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Dallas area have a Phil Wood spoke machine?

TronnyJenkins
03-21-2016, 06:42 AM
Individuals or shops are fine too if they'll cut down my spokes for a fair price!

dave thompson
03-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Individuals or shops are fine too if they'll cut down my spokes for a fair price!

What would be a fair price?

ryker
03-21-2016, 08:31 PM
In the past I have paid $0.25 for this service.

TronnyJenkins
03-21-2016, 08:35 PM
I dunno, I paid $40 for the set of 72 custom spokes. Hoping to pay a good bit less than that :D

03-21-2016, 09:12 PM
Most shops I know want to sell you the spokes and they cut them if needed for free. Most better shops in Dallas will have either the Phil Wood or the Morizawa spoke cutting machine (the Morizawa is, if anything, better than the Phil Wood). Just call around. But I wouldn't expect to pay $0.25 apiece. For cutting and re-threading the spoke, it takes a bit of time and there's always the angst of working on somebody else's spokes. Find out what they'd charge to sell you some basic DT Competition silvers with a custom cut length and that's probably closer to what's fair to the LBS. I wouldn't ask them to do it for much less.

TronnyJenkins
03-21-2016, 09:17 PM
Hrmm. Sounds like I might be better served ordering some more. I don't see anyone beating $40 for custom length. The reason for needing them cut is because I ended up 2mm long. Long story.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2016, 05:06 AM
Most shops I know want to sell you the spokes and they cut them if needed for free. Most better shops in Dallas will have either the Phil Wood or the Morizawa spoke cutting machine (the Morizawa is, if anything, better than the Phil Wood). Just call around. But I wouldn't expect to pay $0.25 apiece. For cutting and re-threading the spoke, it takes a bit of time and there's always the angst of working on somebody else's spokes. Find out what they'd charge to sell you some basic DT Competition silvers with a custom cut length and that's probably closer to what's fair to the LBS. I wouldn't ask them to do it for much less.

Not trying to bust your butt but it's a Morizumi machine and it is 'better' than the phil by far, IMHO.

Like to remind all that these machines are north of $3000 so cutting/threading spokes 'may' cost more than a DT Comp or Sapim race(about $.80-$1.00)..I charged $.50 per spoke in the shop.

http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/store/morizumi-sct-machine

Ronsonic
03-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Just wanted to say .... I have no legitimate business reason to own such a machine, I'm not in the business, don't go through many spokes, but damn I just want a spoke cutter/threader.

Just an amazingly cool gadget.

ergott
03-22-2016, 07:27 AM
If you just need 2mm more thread this will work. I wouldn't even bother cutting them. They will protrude 2mm more out of the nipples, but with today's deeper rims it's not an issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Hozan-Spoke-Threading-Machine-C700/dp/B000C3F5LY

Great for someone doing wheels on a small scale.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2016, 07:45 AM
Just wanted to say .... I have no legitimate business reason to own such a machine, I'm not in the business, don't go through many spokes, but damn I just want a spoke cutter/threader.

Just an amazingly cool gadget.

I lust after a Morizumi machine but, saving about $.15 a spoke by buying big numbers, it would take like 20,000 spokes to 'pay' for it...600+ wheels, about 4-5 years but I still want one..

ColonelJLloyd
03-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Why not just order new spokes online? Unless you have some special relationship with the ones in hand new spokes are going to cost $.40-$1 each at the exact length you want depending on the spoke.

TronnyJenkins
03-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Why not just order new spokes online? Unless you have some special relationship with the ones in hand new spokes are going to cost $.40-$1 each at the exact length you want depending on the spoke.

That's what I'll likely do. I ordered them just about 2mm too long accidentally. The guy I buy from doesn't charge much at all, so I thought it wasn't too much of a hassle, but apparently I was wrong! Maybe I can sell these. They're nice double butted Sapim.

03-22-2016, 03:00 PM
Not trying to bust your butt but it's a Morizumi machine and it is 'better' than the phil by far, IMHO.

Like to remind all that these machines are north of $3000 so cutting/threading spokes 'may' cost more than a DT Comp or Sapim race(about $.80-$1.00)..I charged $.50 per spoke in the shop.

http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/store/morizumi-sct-machine

Oops. Autocorrect at work. I had a Morizumi a while back and always had people who had not built a lot of wheels tell me how the Phil was better. I just gave up trying to pick a fight.

The economics of a spoke cutting and rethreading machine aren't in how to buy mass numbers of spokes and cut them to length. They aren't that fast, and trying to do thousands of spokes will make you hate wheel building. They are really there for shops that inevitably run out of a size or purchase the wrong sizes and need to deal with getting wheels out on time. On that basis nobody can really cost-justify one, except as part of offering timely service and delivery. If you had to buy ten thousand blank spokes and a machine of any brand and then try to make money off it, you'd have given up ten percent of the way through the pile of spokes. And the spokes aren't that much of a savings either -- it was different back in the old days but nowadays you can inventory a range of spokes for not too much money. And with aero spokes and the like, it's harder to make blank spokes work.

TronnyJenkins
03-22-2016, 08:44 PM
Found out with some comparisons that I could make these work if i can find nipples that are longer and start threading further up into the body.

Any ideas? First picture shows the old spoke tightened to where they were at tension, and new spoke all the way. See my point?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/punkrockdrummer5/IMG_8940_zpsabymnmri.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/punkrockdrummer5/media/IMG_8940_zpsabymnmri.jpg.html)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/punkrockdrummer5/IMG_8941_zpseeuurto8.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/punkrockdrummer5/media/IMG_8941_zpseeuurto8.jpg.html)

likebikes
03-22-2016, 08:49 PM
it's worth it to just cut your losses and startover and get the right size spokes.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2016, 05:07 AM
Oops. Autocorrect at work. I had a Morizumi a while back and always had people who had not built a lot of wheels tell me how the Phil was better. I just gave up trying to pick a fight.

The economics of a spoke cutting and rethreading machine aren't in how to buy mass numbers of spokes and cut them to length. They aren't that fast, and trying to do thousands of spokes will make you hate wheel building. They are really there for shops that inevitably run out of a size or purchase the wrong sizes and need to deal with getting wheels out on time. On that basis nobody can really cost-justify one, except as part of offering timely service and delivery. If you had to buy ten thousand blank spokes and a machine of any brand and then try to make money off it, you'd have given up ten percent of the way through the pile of spokes. And the spokes aren't that much of a savings either -- it was different back in the old days but nowadays you can inventory a range of spokes for not too much money. And with aero spokes and the like, it's harder to make blank spokes work.

I know, I just think it's a really keen machine..I'm trying to justify one.

TronnyJenkins
03-23-2016, 07:25 AM
Ordered more spokes ;)

Calculated that I could use these for some Campy low flange, Super Champion wheels using 4 cross. Sounds like I need to build another wheelset...

AngryScientist
03-23-2016, 07:33 AM
Ordered more spokes ;)

Calculated that I could use these for some Campy low flange, Super Champion wheels using 4 cross. Sounds like I need to build another wheelset...

yea, that's how it starts. i once built a whole Bianchi because i had a set of celeste bottle cages. haha!