PDA

View Full Version : Sora 8 STI with 7 speed freewheel / FD questions

bluemax
03-20-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm building a touring bike for a friend. Frame is aluminum and 126 spaced, so I don't really want to spread it. He is wanting STI but I don't have anything 7 speed. I do have Sora 8 ST-2200. Will shifting be decent with a 7 speed freewheel? I will probably use an Alivio RD. Will probably have to order a Sunrace or cheap Shimano freewheel to get the right cogs for touring. What about (triple) front derailleur compatibility? I know I have 9 speed Sora and Tiagra triple FDs. Will they work with the 2200 triple shifter?

thanks

oldpotatoe
03-21-2016, 05:14 AM
I'm building a touring bike for a friend. Frame is aluminum and 126 spaced, so I don't really want to spread it. He is wanting STI but I don't have anything 7 speed. I do have Sora 8 ST-2200. Will shifting be decent with a 7 speed freewheel? I will probably use an Alivio RD. Will probably have to order a Sunrace or cheap Shimano freewheel to get the right cogs for touring. What about (triple) front derailleur compatibility? I know I have 9 speed Sora and Tiagra triple FDs. Will they work with the 2200 triple shifter?

thanks

It will with a 7s freewheel, just use 6 clicks(7s) and limit screw for the last cog. The mentioned FWs are index shifting compatible and work/shift well with STI. Same 5mm ctr cog to ctr cog spacing.

Front ders also will work fine. Just match the one designed for the crank. Some front ders for 52/39/30, have a deeper inner cage than ones designed for 52/42/30..and the deep cage hits the middle ring when in the big ring unless it's mounted way high. Also, front ders designed for 52/42, and used on 52/39 may not have a inner cage front der 'bump' to get the chain to the biggest chainring. Ones designed for 50/39 also work on 52/42..confusing isn't it?