PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running modern derailleurs with a vintage group?

martinez
03-20-2016, 05:37 PM
I have recently been thinking about maybe upgrading my GT Edge, but I can't bring myself to ditching 7700. So thought...what if I just upgrade my bike without making it really look too modern. I would keep the brakes, crankset and wheels and upgrade the derailleurs and shifters that somewhat match/wouldn't look bad with a 7700. Maybe even a another wheelset and other necessary parts to get 5800 running with it. I am definitely looking for another wheelset for this as the current heliums I'm running make me feel a little "fixie."

http://oi68.tinypic.com/20zpmar.jpg

It might not be too crazy of a concept, and we've seen a complete upgrade with modern frames but I was just hoping to see if any paceliners would like to share pictures of how they're keeping the vintage LOOK with a few inconspicuous updated bits. And maybe some quick advice/stories of their experiences?
Post em if you got em!

fogrider
03-20-2016, 06:09 PM
1697916980ride what you want...I found this classic frame and had it repainted, built up with some lightweight bits and 10 speed shifters with an 11 speed rear mech. and modern hoops.

oldpotatoe
03-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Well, I wouldn't say 7700 is necessary 'vintage' but I'd ask what will 5800 stuff do that the 7700 won't do? Since both are lever mounted, index shifting?

I took a kinda knackered MXLeader, added Campagnolo EPS, shifters, Ders, battery, rear wheel, crank but kept Delta brakes and levers(used barends for reach). So get vintage brakes but electronic shifting...cool.

rccardr
03-20-2016, 07:19 PM
Yeah, 7700 is pretty much as nice as you can get, shiftwise. 5800 is plenty nice, but do you really need two more cogs?

thirdgenbird
03-20-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm with the guys above. I would skip the groupset and get yourself a nice silver post and a sweet wheelset. 10spd shimano wheelsets can be found pretty cheap. Something with Chris king classic hubs would look right at home on there.

Bob Ross
03-20-2016, 07:28 PM
Eh, I've got a recent Shimano 105 RD on a bike with a Suntour FD and Suntour downtube friction shifters, Diacompe brake levers...does that count?

martinez
03-21-2016, 04:01 AM
7700 is definitely a solid group and I have absolutely no problems with it.
Just was thinking about this whole concept and if anyone is doing it (I'm sure people are). Just would like to see those who are being low key about riding more modern speeds with a "vintage" group. Thought it would be interesting to see what some people have done. So far I feel like maybe I didn't explain myself so well?

And I know one or two speeds aren't much of a difference, and may be kind of pointless...but so are many other things about cycling, or any hobby.
But I definitely am planning on swapping on the seatpost and wheelset out! Those are currently my main priorities for the bike

And that sounds like it applies here, bob. Got a photo of your current set up?

Bob Ross
03-21-2016, 04:21 AM
that sounds like it applies here, bob. Got a photo of your current set up?

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u495/bob_ross4/Bridgestone%2012-29-11_zpsld4fyxss.jpg

LouDeeter
03-21-2016, 04:49 AM
I'm running a Shimano XT rear derailleur on a friction shifter bike, with 120 rear spacing, 6 speed freewheel and downtube shifters. Works great. My initial concern was whether the wider chain would clear the pulley cages--no problems.