PDA

View Full Version : Wider tubulars

false_Aest
03-20-2016, 12:44 PM
For fire roads I'm looking for something that's less prone to cuts.

Challenge Paris Roubaix 700x27
FMB Paris Roubaix 700x27
Vittoria Pave CG 700x28
Vittoria Corsa G+ 700x28
Schwalbe One 700x26 or 700x28
Zipp Tangente 700x27

Thoughts?

Leaning to the Schwalbe 700x28s but that's because they're on super sale. But cheap does me no good if I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere.

rwsaunders
03-20-2016, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure that either the FMB's or Vittoria Paves would be a good choice for gravel. I currently have the Pave's on one bike and Veloflex Roubaix's on another bike and while both are good tires for wet road and rough road conditions, angular gravel such as limestone will tear them to pieces. I say the same for FMB's as I've ridden them as well and I made the switch to Veloflex, which I thought were more robust.

DerekB
03-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Second for Veloex. My FMB's lasted less than 250 miles. Then flatted. 😖 With no apparent good reason.

FlashUNC
03-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Not the Challenges. You're better off walking.

smontanaro
03-21-2016, 03:02 AM
I agree with @FlashUNC. I've got some of the 27mm Challenge tubulars (and a 25mm pair "aging"). I like the way they ride, but I'm decidedly disenchanted with their quality. A number of people over on the CR list complained in the past of the treat separating from the casing. When I bought mine, I had to send one back because it wouldn't hold air. Knowing that I had limited experience with them, I asked the vendor what his experience was. He said he'd completely given up on Challenge tubulars. (I just checked back on that site. While he still seems to be selling their clinchers for normal prices, the remaining tubulars are steeply discounted.)

I hope they can turn around their quality problems. I do like the way they ride.

gomango
03-21-2016, 03:57 AM
I've had good luck with the Veloflex Vlaanderen's on my newer Kvale.

They were advertised at 700x27.

I just took a caliper to it and it's spot on.

gomango
03-21-2016, 04:03 AM
I agree with @FlashUNC. I've got some of the 27mm Challenge tubulars (and a 25mm pair "aging"). I like the way they ride, but I'm decidedly disenchanted with their quality. A number of people over on the CR list complained in the past of the treat separating from the casing. When I bought mine, I had to send one back because it wouldn't hold air. Knowing that I had limited experience with them, I asked the vendor what his experience was. He said he'd completely given up on Challenge tubulars. (I just checked back on that site. While he still seems to be selling their clinchers for normal prices, the remaining tubulars are steeply discounted.)

I hope they can turn around their quality problems. I do like the way they ride.

I gave up on them. I ride on gravel 75% of the time and their tires, especially the Almanzos, suffered from this issue.

How unfortunate!

redir
03-21-2016, 08:10 AM
I didn't have any problems with Challenge PR's but +1 on the FMB. FMB are like the best tires out there but they almost take good too far. Part of what makes them great is the soft buttery sidewalls which unfortunately is what makes them not so great on gravel or anywhere near sharp edges.

stackie
03-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Not the Challenges. You're better off walking.

Ha. With Challenge tires, you WILL be walking. Absolutely worst tires I have ever used.

Jon

teleguy57
03-21-2016, 11:39 AM
The new Vittoria Corsa+ comes in a 28 vs the 27 for the retired (tears) Pave GC but I'm not seeing them available anywhere yet. I will miss green stripes. Corsa+ comes in skin and blackwall.

At first I thought Vittoria also retired the Corsa Elite, which I really like for an inexpensive well-performing tire, but just saw it is on their new web site and also comes in a 28, blackwall only. As soon as I can find where to buy some of them....

Erik_A
03-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Can you fit 33c cyclocross file-treads? If so the Challenge tires are good. Older name: Grifo XS or the newer name for gravel: Almanzos.
http://www.challengetech.it/products/gravel/almanzo-060/en

If 33 is too wide, try the 31c Vittoria Cross EVO XN:
https://www.vittoria.com/tire/cross-evo-xn/

earlfoss
03-21-2016, 11:42 AM
The Vittoria Pave tires that I have used have been extremely durable but at the cost of ride quality. They have a bit of a dead feel but they hold up for me over an entire season in varying conditions.