PDA

View Full Version : Quick weight loss...

catulle
06-13-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm usually the first one to pontificate here when it comes to weight loss, muscle to fat ratio, heart rate, and so on; however, I just got back from a two week trip overseas and I put on fifteen pounds that must go PRONTO...!

Actually, two weeks before leaving this last time I was also traveling for some three weeks. The problem is that when I travel I mostly just drive, walk a little, go to bed early, and eat industrial amounts of junk.

Now I have to loose these extra pounds fast. I know that weight loss is all about calorie deficit. That is, one must burn more calories than what's taken in. Which in turn means that I must eat in a controlled fashion, watch what I eat (low sugar and fat), and excercise within a heart rate zone for prolonged periods of time. The key operative concept here is, of course, discipline.

Now, does anyone have any additional suggestions/recommendations to make? Thank you for reading and thank you for your opinions, atmo.

atmo
06-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Now I have to loose these extra pounds fast.

how about a van gogh thing atmo?

zeroking17
06-13-2006, 07:36 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=158215&postcount=13

Alternatively, report your weight in kilograms. It sounds "lighter."

atmo
06-13-2006, 07:40 PM

Alternatively, report your weight in kilograms. It sounds "lighter."

i will be riding and hanging with
the author next week atmo. i'll
get a tip or three for you.

Proxy
06-13-2006, 07:46 PM
I just flew back yesterday from 2+ weeks in italy so I share your issue somewhat. drink a ton of water and watch your salt intake and you should see a quick drop of 3-5#'s and I mean quick - salt is the killer. try and take a few spins on the bike, that will help adjust things.

Erik.Lazdins
06-13-2006, 08:00 PM

i will be riding and hanging with
the author next week atmo. i'll
get a tip or three for you.

Judging by your pic - you should post your tips.

catulle
06-13-2006, 08:05 PM

Hey, dude, IŽd have to cut more than my two ears, nose, fingers, and toes to loose 15, atmo.

atmo
06-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey, dude, IŽd have to cut more than my two ears, nose, fingers, and toes to loose 15, atmo.

cut whatever (http://www.torahview.com/bris/html/the_mohel.html) you want atmo.

Judging by your pic - you should post your tips.
i have a kate moss fetish atmo. and i drink
at least 3 litres* of san pellegrino each day.

*spelled the british way to show fine
rearing right up through 12th grade.

obtuse
06-13-2006, 08:22 PM
get sick.

sickness is the new training.

obtuse

Fat Robert
06-13-2006, 08:26 PM
ride more

don't eat less

just ride more

Fat Robert was Skinny Robert in March, racing at 160. Now I'm 170. The experiment is to ride 300mi a week for a month and see if I'm skinnier. So far its been two weeks, around 580mi, and I'm not any thinner. Still. The Fat One is saying just ride. A lot.

pale scotsman
06-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Bro, around here crack and meth are the weight loss diets of choice. It's sad, sad, sad. the # of people on that crap.

dbrk
06-13-2006, 08:41 PM
I've taken to thinking of my weight in stone (14lbs or so)...this really makes you feel lighter.

Every year it gets harder. I have the metabolism of a tortoise, the appetite of a hyena, and, luckily, still the digestion of a crocodile. I'm finally losing some winter weight but it's taken longer. I ride alot and, I think, sometimes pretty hard. I've taken to attacking every hill I can and eating less. It just could be that, as my pal Gary said a few weeks ago, "you've also never been as old as you are now..." At a certain point it's genetic, just like the gift of riding fast. Put another way, you can't put in what the cosmos left out.

dbrk

Grant McLean
06-13-2006, 08:50 PM
I've taken to thinking of my weight in stone (14lbs or so)...this really makes you feel lighter.
dbrk

douglas,

On this side of the lake, we cut our pizza in 6 instead of 8,
it's simply wrong to eat 8 slices by yourself...

:)

g

Ray
06-13-2006, 09:16 PM
What seems to work for me is longer rides. I've got 2500 miles in this year, which is decent mileage, but it's mostly 30-60 mile rides with just a few metrics and one or two over 70. And I still have every friggin' bit of my winter weight. I'm riding pretty well (for me) but the weight isn't coming off. But once I start doing centuries and lots of metric+ rides, THEN the weight starts peeling off. Last year, I didn't lose the winter weight until August and it really came off in September when the century season was in full swing. I only have about a 10 pound range from worst to best, but it gets tougher and tougher to take that 10 off each year.

-Ray

Ginger
06-13-2006, 09:22 PM
One beer, not six.
One handful of chips, not the whole bag.

www.fitday.com

Go there. Figure out how many calories you need to be the weight you want to be (not the weight you are...I think it's 15 calories per pound for men?) Eat only that many calories. It doesn't matter *where* the calories come from. Fat, Carbs, Kate Moss...whatever. Track them and don't go over the calories for the weight you want to be...

And ride more (without figuring that into how many more calories you can eat each day just because you went out for a ride.)

Calories in, Calories out. That's what it's all about.

manet
06-13-2006, 09:26 PM
get sick.

sickness is the new training.

obtuse

lettuce and lots of water

Fat Robert
06-13-2006, 09:34 PM
sod this thread

I'm going to eat some gelato now, go to bed, and ride 100mi tomorrow (no joke...50 around 7AM, 50 around 6PM)

fat is the new thin

fat is the new black

fat is the new fat

catulle
06-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Thank you so much for your kind, thoughtful, and very useful responses. Including the one about Rabbi Yehuda Lebovics which could result in the permanent loss of some 25 pounds, atmo. Ehemmm.

Anyway, during my first day at home, doing 90 minutes on the stationary bike and sticking to spinach, peas, and beef, and lots of water, I've dumped two pounds already (from my weight last night to a few hours ago).

Maybe some day I'll just trade my house, bikes, and all earthly possessions for ice-cream and Cadbury bars and find eternal bliss, atmo.
Not long before Luis Borges' death, he was asked what would he do differently if he had the chance to live his life over. He response was: I'll eat all the ice-cream and chocolate I didn't eat during my first life. Borges was an Argentinian writer, erudite, and all around excentric.

Samster
06-13-2006, 10:13 PM
when i want to lose weight, i actually ride less and eat even less. works for me.

catulle
06-13-2006, 10:20 PM
when i want to lose weight, i actually ride less and eat even less. works for me.

Muscle mass loss?

Frankwurst
06-13-2006, 10:22 PM
:beer: Thank you so much for your kind, thoughtful, and very useful responses. Including the one about Rabbi Yehuda Lebovics which could result in the permanent loss of some 25 pounds, atmo. Ehemmm.

Anyway, during my first day at home, doing 90 minutes on the stationary bike and sticking to spinach, peas, and beef, and lots of water, I've dumped two pounds already (from my weight last night to a few hours ago).

Maybe some day I'll just trade my house, bikes, and all earthly possessions for ice-cream and Cadbury bars and find eternal bliss, atmo.
Not long before Luis Borges' death, he was asked what would he do differently if he had the chance to live his life over. He response was: I'll eat all the ice-cream and chocolate I didn't eat during my first life. Borges was an Argentinian writer, erudite, and all around excentric.

Take ATMO's advive as it's 25lbs (in your case) you'll loose and keep off which imo is the hard part.

manet
06-13-2006, 10:36 PM

take it from me _ any appendage, just keep it above the belt

http://www.mystudios.com/manet/death.html

SoCalSteve
06-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Seriously...

Lots of fiber.

Whether you eat high fiber foods or pop high fiber capsules or drink high fiber drinks.

It will work!

Promise.

Good luck,

Steve

Ginger
06-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Fat Robert has a point as well...in a round about way...

Exercise for a 1/2 hour before you eat breakfast.

Exercise in the evening.

Ride every day. Lift some weights.

When I'm commuting the weight just melts...am ride, pm ride...

And you'll loose 10lbs of water weight fairly fast. After that it's work.

Oh...you know what they say about horses don't you?
"Fat's a nice color."

oracle
06-14-2006, 02:42 AM
?

DavidK
06-14-2006, 02:50 AM
I thought this was a thread about Jan Ullrich for a moment! :rolleyes:

Bill Bove
06-14-2006, 04:41 AM
A friend of mine lost 160lbs. pretty quick. She kicked her deadbeat husband out. Badaboom. Now she can ride more.

keno
06-14-2006, 05:33 AM
Living Large:

Too Tall
06-14-2006, 06:14 AM
Do you run?

Kirk Pacenti
06-14-2006, 06:41 AM
This book is also a great resourse.

http://www.foodpolitics.com/pages/whattoeat.html

Move more, eat less, avoid HFCS.

Kirk "who needs to start practicing what he preaches" Pacenti :D

Mud
06-14-2006, 08:08 AM
It is always a battle but losing it and keeping it off are tougher as you grow older. As I moved from the 50's to the 60's the old ways no longer worked. I ride just as much, maybe even more but got stuck between 185-190. In October 2004 my wife had the same hip replaced a third time and was banned from mountain biking forever.

While she was involved in physical theropy she kept the weight off but during the couple of months between the end of PT and when she could ride again the weight came on. I am sure that she was close to 150# but like a good husband I said nothing (not much anyway).

Then she discovered Weight Watchers and the light went on. She eats far more than I do and weighs 117#.

As this was going on I evaluated what she was eating. I like bagels so back in January I subbed oatmeal for bagels and was a little more careful about watching my fat intake. I eat fish once in a while but am vegetarian. Whole wheat pasta is fine and I eat plenty of bananas, and berries.

I dropped to 163# this AM and probably will continue to lose since I am starting to ride again after surgery.

I like the WWs program and find that I can have a bagel once in a while without feeling guilty but I do stay away from the good ice cream. It sure makes a difference on hills.

Given the fat readings I get on the Tanita scale, which I know are not very accurate, I think 7-8 lbs over the rest of the year is possible bring me to 10% body fat.

I have done well with it and only bring this up because it works. Most riders are pretty disciplined about training and it is not a big jump to be the same way about other things like diet. I am not trying to be a diet Guru but I am pretty healthy for an old man and the hills are much easier. :beer:

catulle
06-14-2006, 08:38 AM
As this was going on I evaluated what she was eating. I like bagels so back in January I subbed oatmeal for bagels and was a little more careful about watching my fat intake. I eat fish once in a while but am vegetarian. Whole wheat pasta is fine and I eat plenty of bananas, and berries.
:beer:

Thank you for the thorough response. Remember that bananas carry a great deal of sugar; they are also very rich in potassium, though, but sugar is the best friend of fat.

atmo
06-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Thank you for the thorough response. Remember that bananas carry a great deal of sugar; they are also very rich in potassium, though, but sugar is the best friend of fat.

i can't hear you.
i'm down to 10 stone 10 atmo.
earless in episcoville.

catulle
06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Do you run?

I used to until a couple of years ago. Now I save my knees for the bike. However, I walk within a certain heart rate zone every so often.

Too Tall
06-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Hmmm, was thinking of ways to take you out of adapted muscle / memory areas so as to rev. up metabolism. Hike! Lift weights and treat yourself to the highest quality organic food you can and go to lots of live music concerts. I don't believe in diets per se. What I do believe is that if you are happy and eat a high quality diet than things find balance. Sorry for being so technical ;)

Kirk Pacenti
06-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Seriously...

Lots of fiber.

Whether you eat high fiber foods or pop high fiber capsules or drink high fiber drinks.

It will work!

Promise.

Good luck,

Steve

But it works great!

http://www.drnatura.com/picture_gallery.html?osCsid=8de3897afefa5e4303f29d d990413ca6

Fat Robert
06-14-2006, 08:57 AM
stop talking about your colon and get back to work!

all of you!

catulle
06-14-2006, 09:03 AM
i can't hear you.
i'm down to 10 stone 10 atmo.
earless in episcoville.

Catulle: Dear Rabbi Yehuda, Vincent sent me to solve a problem.
RYL: Let's see, infidel son.
Catulle: Er, excuse the leopard Victoria's Secret but I was in a rush to get here and dipped my hand in the wrong drawer, atmo.
RYL: Don't worry, son, mine are hot pink, see?
Catulle: Well, you can keep mine, dude.
RYL: Oh, Lord, er, ehem, but I can't do what I do twice, daddy'o.
Catulle: Oh, hell, I should've known that. I don't know why I listen to Vincent, atmo.
RYL: I'll tell you what, if what you want is to fool the scale, why don't you do what I do?
Catulle: What's that, bro?
RYL: I drop the hot pinks when I step on the scale, baby.

catulle
06-14-2006, 09:08 AM
But it works great!

http://www.drnatura.com/picture_gallery.html?osCsid=8de3897afefa5e4303f29d d990413ca6

Looks like wholesome beef jerky, atmo.

BoulderGeek
06-14-2006, 09:58 AM

OMG! Those are not gorgeous custom Serottas!

That link needs a disclaimer or some age verification, atmo. :no:

EDIT: Kirk's right, he did say in little print that it was gross. I missed that. My bad.

I, for one, don't want anything that looks like a prop from the "Alien" movies inside me. Ewww.

Kirk Pacenti
06-14-2006, 10:54 AM
OMG! Those are not gorgeous custom Serottas!

That link needs a disclaimer or some age verification, atmo. :no:

Look at my original post, I did give a warning in the title.....

zap
06-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Go on a 60-70 mile ride during a long lunch break, come back and down nothing but a protein shake. Have a normal dinner later.

Works great for me.

manet
06-14-2006, 11:38 AM

crumb's bro

catulle
06-14-2006, 01:49 PM
crumb's bro

Fixed
06-14-2006, 03:32 PM
bro eat like a balarina

catulle
06-14-2006, 03:58 PM
bro eat a balarina

Isn't that a forum no-no, atmo?

goonster
06-14-2006, 04:44 PM

Colon cleansing is bunk.

We all want to have clean colons, but the only people who pass mineral sludge are those who (surprise!) eat mineral sludge.

Mmmm, bentonite . . . :D

Don't worry, no pictures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucoid_plaque)

Fat Robert
06-14-2006, 07:26 PM
I'll say it again. Just ride more.

TubbyWubby got in 98 in five hours, just missing the magic mark of 100/5 (it had to be the last piss stop, I'm telling you), and now I'm eating a gelato. I feel thinner already. I think I'll have another.

catulle
06-14-2006, 07:36 PM
I'll say it again. Just ride more.

TubbyWubby got in 98 in five hours, just missing the magic mark of 100/5 (it had to be the last piss stop, I'm telling you), and now I'm eating a gelato. I feel thinner already. I think I'll have another.

No gelato for this here bubba, atmo.

Fat Robert
06-14-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm eating two prosciutto and mozzarella paninis and a salad

I'm Kate Moss, you hippie hellenophile

Tom Kellogg
06-14-2006, 08:19 PM
I seem to live in a range of 148 - 155 (maybe 160 after Christmas). In the spring, I can get down to 150 once I have about 800 miles or so, but I won't drop any more no matter how much I ride until I can get my wife to stop buying me that Ice cream. She doesn't eat it, so I have to. Too Tall can give you an idea as to my appetite for the sweet stuff. A week without ice cream is worth about three pounds if I am riding. Once I hit about 145 though, that is it. I can go below that, but then I just get sick too easily. So there it is, lay off the ice cream and ride at least five times a week. The riding is the easy part.

dbrk
06-14-2006, 08:40 PM
get sick. sickness is the new training. obtuse

Next Christmas I'm taking some 20 odd people on a tour of India. I figure if I drink some of the familiar water...wait about a day...then hold on for about seven more before I take the medicine, I should lose those 15-20lbs that would bring me back to real, true racing weight. If that happens and I survive, I will ride crits next spring. I used to call this the "India weight loss program: drink the water, eat the medicine." Hard on the liver, to say nothing of the hours spent on the seat of ease.

I envy guys like TK. Once I was skinny and fast and every spring the weight just came off. No more. I'm content no longer to be fast but I am still vain. Oh well, I will have to get over that too.

dbrk

catulle
06-14-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm eating two prosciutto and mozzarella paninis and a salad

I'm Kate Moss, you hippie hellenophile

I love hellenophile, atmo...

catulle
06-14-2006, 08:44 PM
So there it is, lay off the ice cream and ride at least five times a week. The riding is the easy part.

I know, atmo.

catulle
06-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Next Christmas I'm taking some 20 odd people on a tour of India. I figure if I drink some of the familiar water...wait about a day...then hold on for about seven more before I take the medicine, I should lose those 15-20lbs that would bring me back to real, true racing weight. If that happens and I survive, I will ride crits next spring. I used to call this the "India weight loss program: drink the water, eat the medicine." Hard on the liver, to say nothing of the hours spent on the seat of ease.

I envy guys like TK. Once I was skinny and fast and every spring the weight just came off. No more. I'm content no longer to be fast but I am still vain. Oh well, I will have to get over that too.

dbrk

I lived in Ecuador for seven years. I know. Amoebas are great for climbing the Cotopaxi, atmo.

Kirk Pacenti
06-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Too Tall can give you an idea as to my appetite for the sweet stuff.

Tom,

Kathleen is still amazed that you ate nearly an entire batch of her chocolate chip cookies!

atmo
06-14-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm content no longer to be fast but I am still vain. Oh well, I will have to get over that too.

dbrk

being vain is under-rated atmo.
don't change a single thing, dbrk.

catulle
06-14-2006, 09:27 PM
being vain is under-rated atmo.
don't change a single thing, dbrk.

You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and....

You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't you?

You had me several years ago when I was still quite naive
Well you said that we made such a pretty pair
and that you would never leave

But you gave away the things you loved and one of them was me
I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee, clouds in my coffee and....

You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you.....

Well I hear you went up to Saratoga and your horse naturally won
Then you flew your Lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun
Well, you're where you should be all of the time
And when you're not you're with
Some underworld spy or the wife of a close friend
Wife of a close friend, and....

You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you.....