PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to cycling son...

Moosedryvr
06-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Bought my 9 1/2 year old son a Redline Conquest 24" cyclocross bike this spring and told him if he earned all A's on his report card we'd put it together this summer. Well he really buckled down and pulled off the good report card so we put the bike together last night. Spent last evening and this morning getting the fit dialed in and practicing shifting. Pretty cool bike and he picked up the Campy style STI shifting (Shimano Sora) no sweat. So off we go this afternoon for our first spin together, me on the Hampsten and Collin on his Redline, too cool! Having a great little ride, I'm digging that he can keep up a decent pace and am giving him some pointers on keeping a good cadence, etc. We are riding side by side through a turn when he sees a friend from school (a girl, of course), watches her watch him and drives right into the side of me. Long story short, I pick him up off the ground minus 1/3 of his left front tooth and various bits of skin. I'm damn lucky it's nothing worse but am frustrated/heartsick that this is how our first "real" bike ride has ended. He's still at the dentist with Mom. I'll update later....AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Frustratingly,
SPG

BoulderGeek
06-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Harsh.

But, it is never too early to learn about target fixation. Especially of the female persuasion.

:crap: :bike:

dirtdigger88
06-13-2006, 03:12 PM
chicks dig scars :cool:

Jason

fierte_poser
06-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Harsh.

But, it is never too early to learn about target fixation. Especially of the female persuasion.

:crap: :bike:

But he didn't hit the target! :D

alancw3
06-13-2006, 03:17 PM
don't be to hard on him. sounds like a normal 9. year old to me. now how are the bikes? :)

Ginger
06-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Just wait until he gets in the car. :)

Heck, I've seen adults do the same thing. He just didn't have the skills to recover and is probably hurting more than you are.

There's so much to learn about riding in a group!

72gmc
06-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Normal 9 year old? Normal 19 year old.. 29 year old... I'm not 39 yet but I fear it may be normal for a while yet.

I think he'll be OK, Moosedryvr. He knows what caused it and he may be more upset knowing Dad put so much work into his bike. This is a good entree into lessons on bike handling skills--so he's prepared for the girls yet to be seen.

davids
06-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Just after my daughter got on two wheels, we took a short vacation (coincidentally to Saratoga Springs - by that's it for Serotta content.) We brought her bike, since she was so proud of herself for dropping the training wheels, and very excited to ride.

I was watching her tool around the hotel parking lot, going from one end to the other, stopping, and turning around. I thought to myself, "I've got to show her how to steer a bike..."

Too late - She thought she'd figured it out for herself; You want to turn to the left, just pull your left hand towards you! She steered so sharply that the wheel went perpendicular to the direction the bike was travelling, and she went right over the bars!

Fortunately, she was moving slowly, and was wearing a helmet. She was still traumatized, and actually in mild shock for an hour or so. Her arm was scraped up pretty badly, too. I felt horrible - I had seen the situation coming, and didn't act soon enough. :crap:

It was a week or so before we could coax her back onto the bike...

I feel for you - It sucks when your child crashes badly!

glc
06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
dude my daughter lost two baby teeth a month ago, and some skin off her chin doing circles in a drive way. everybody just laughs now, even her. imho, impermanence RULES!

Russell
06-14-2006, 09:34 AM
My heart goes out to ya. I have 2 boys (7 & 10) and it pains me everytime they go down.

Bill Bove
06-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Never mind the kid! they fall down all the time, how's Dad? Moms can be hard on Dads who get their kids hurt.

Ginger
06-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah...I thought of that too. I hope Mom took it in stride and hasn't relegated the bikes to the garbage pile.

bironi
06-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Some guy on the forum who's been riding almost daily for over 25 years crashed recently in similar circumstances. He was waving at a paceline going in the opposite direction, kept his gaze on them too long, and ran into the curb. Fortunately he was at the end of his paceline. His pain was mostly due to a bruised ego.

Byron

Fixed
06-14-2006, 02:33 PM
bro even pros crash like that My son crashed 4 times the first time on clipless pedals . they learn fast he can kick my arse on a short hill sprint with his jr gearing if i give him any slack . your best riding bro is your son. give him 5 years and watch out .
cheers

shaq-d
06-14-2006, 03:45 PM
kids crash and get rite back up..i know cuz i was one!

Frankwurst
06-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Both my front teeth have had root canals and been capped due to bicycle crashes when I was young. Probably because then as now I have a grin on my face alot of the time when I'm on a bike. I didn't quit and I doubt if he will. :beer:

csm
06-14-2006, 06:34 PM
my 12 yo fell into the first mudpuddle he came to on him new mountain bike. he got up laughing. his little brother crashed into the neighbor's bush as he was first getting the hang of a 2 wheeler. by the next day, he was screaming down the sidewalk, no hands with his feet one the top tube.
I love those kids!

slowgoing
06-14-2006, 06:58 PM
When I was 9 and again when I was 10, I totalled a new bike on the first ride.

Kevan
06-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Had you two had a simple pleasant ride the event would have slipped amongst the other pages of life, but this is an experience you both will forever remember and laugh about later on.

Certainly the pain and frustration are there, but later... when time has applied its patina, you will think back and inwardly smirk at the replayed scene.

My son 15 is riding his beautiful Quintana Roo to school with the most gawd-awfullest pedals you've ever seen installed. SPD's on one side and large platform suitable for skateboard sneakers on the other. They are a sacrilege to anything but a spin bike. Anyway, he crashed too on his first ride out. It was very minor, but I felt it was good that he learn to respect his new machine.

stevep
06-14-2006, 07:43 PM
(a girl, of course), Frustratingly,
SPG

those women... cause us men no end of trouble.

Moosedryvr
06-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks to all for you kind thoughts and advice. All is returning to normal here. Dentist said there was no nerve damage, so he shouldn't lose the tooth, nothing a little bonding can't fix!
To answer a couple of questions asked, 1. the bikes are fine. No damage to the Hampsten and only minor scrapes on the Redline (might as well put 'em on on the 1st ride, I'm sure there will be plenty more to come). 2. Mom is a saint - not a peep about the incident, just shook her head and took him to the Doc. I'm blessed.
Will get him back on the horse as soon as I can find some free time, again thanks for the support!

SPG