PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have too many bikes?

saab2000
06-13-2006, 02:57 PM
I am seriously considering selling my Merckx Ti and my Strong again. I have another bike or two I am not opposed to getting rid of either.

This would basically trim me down to just my Serotta for my main ride. Not a bad choice. I almost find that having too many bikes dilutes everything.

Too many problems to fix. Too much cleaning. Too much clutter.

Anyone else?

I know it's a bit of an absurd complaint, but I almost feel as though my riding was more satisfying when it was simpler.

alancw3
06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
I am seriously considering selling my Merckx Ti and my Strong again. I have another bike or two I am not opposed to getting rid of either.

This would basically trim me down to just my Serotta for my main ride. Not a bad choice. I almost find that having too many bikes dilutes everything.

Anyone else?

I know it's a bit of an absurd complaint, but I almost feel as though my riding was more satisfying when it was simpler.

i agree. i also find myself only riding my favorite bike anyway. i always thought i would rotate bikes as i accumulated others but it doesn't seem to work out that way for me. my current favorite, which is usually my most recent purchase becomes my ride of choice (if i did my homework correctly). the others become wall art. i also think it is fun, challenging and stimulating to get a new bike and begin dailing it in, acquiring new parts to get it the you want it etc. once the project is complete the whole cycle (no pun intented) seems to repeat itself. maybe it is simply the quest for the perfect bike knowing full well there is no such thing.

johnmdesigner
06-13-2006, 03:16 PM
I have 5 bikes in a 2-bedroom apartment-does this make the decision any easier? :crap:
Seriously, I want to sell all the furniture...

DavidK
06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm in the same boat.

I offloaded a Trek recently, have a Cannondale that I'm loaning at the moment, and then a Nove.

What makes me pause is the depreciation. It's no fun losing half the value of the bike. If I regret my decision in a few months, it's double the money to get the same/similar bike new again. And with bikes, it's not like they take money when they're not in use, no tax, MOT, insurance, etc... so they cost nothing to keep, but some of their value to sell. Hell, if I sold the Cannondale I probably wouldn't fetch the value of the groupset and wheels.

Selling bikes sucks, but so does tripping over them in the flat ;)

johnmdesigner
06-13-2006, 03:21 PM
The problem is...I'm thinking about number 6. :rolleyes:

Dekonick
06-13-2006, 03:24 PM
NO! :D

if you ask my wife you will get another answer....

Chris
06-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I have a buddy who rivals Douglas in his bike collection. He rides most of them too on a pretty even distribution. What's funny, is that also like Douglas, none of the set ups are identical in terms of fore/aft, etc. I have had 4 at one time and all I got from that was knee problems since it is so difficult to get them all dialed in identically. I now have two (moots compact and CAAD8) The Moots is my ride of choice and I do 90% of my riding on it. The CAAD8 is my team bike. It rides nice enough, but it doesn't compare to the Moots, so why would I choose to ride it when something I like better is right there? The only way that I can see having more is if I end up with another team bike (System 6) which will be the same as the CAAD8 in terms of dimensions and easy enough to dial in. The problem is that then you have to have all the components for that one too and the cleaning, tuning, etc. It's no problem initially, but I like all my bikes to have the same components so if I upgrade one, I upgrade them all. I've found that 2 bikes is ideal for me. If one is down (like now since the CAAD8 has a bent hanger and I won't have a replacement until tomorrow) you don't have any problem still getting your ride in. More than that and I just lose garage space. :)

Then there are the wheels...

Ginger
06-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Not any more. :)

JohnS
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
I only own one bike, and don't want another. I have other hobbies that I spend money on, such as guns and hiking equipment.
With your lifestyle, with the constant moving and being away for days at a time, one or two bikes should be fine, as long as they're the right bikes. :)

bigdeal
06-13-2006, 03:39 PM
what size is the Merckx? I assume it's a Majestic?

RichardSeton
06-13-2006, 03:43 PM
We solved the too many bikes problem by selling a car. Now, there's plenty of room in the garage.

Fixed
06-13-2006, 03:44 PM
bro 3 is about right one for long rides one i love and sprint on and one to race or crash on.
cheers

Big Dan
06-13-2006, 03:48 PM
You can't have too many bikes. You just need a bigger place.
I got 5 right now and if I had more space I would have a couple more. Also have 7 guitars I think.
I'll check my inventory.......... :p

manet
06-13-2006, 04:03 PM
buy my merlin, it's in the classifieds

GoJavs
06-13-2006, 04:15 PM
I have 10. I wish I could trim it down to about 4 - but, there's just no way I could part with most of these at this point.... :no:

dirtdigger88
06-13-2006, 04:42 PM
he needs to give me either the Saluki or the Sachs

they are both "just my size"

Jason

SoCalSteve
06-13-2006, 04:47 PM
At the moment I have 8...

I love them all. They are all just a bit different. So, if I get tired of one, I just go and get down a different one.

My latest project is a Seven Axiom that I've rehabbed and I'm gonna make it my commuting/training after work bike. (pictures to follow soon)

When I get my E-Richie-isimmo (in a long time) I am thinking that will be the last one.

Steve

dave thompson
06-13-2006, 04:51 PM
he needs to give me either the Saluki or the Sachs

they are both "just my size"

Jason
You can have the Saluki.

dave thompson
06-13-2006, 04:53 PM

Anyone else?

I've had a ton of bikes over my very short bicycling career, including seven at once. I finally got smart and pared it down to three, just now down to two and soon to be just one. In my dotage i've adopted the 'simpler is better' philosophy.

Ozz
06-13-2006, 04:56 PM
You can have the Saluki.
Hey! I'll save you shipping and come pick it up! ;)

keno
06-13-2006, 04:59 PM
my Porsche Bebe Concours frame and

my Fuji Track Pro.

That would leave me with three. Just like in Goldilocks and The Three Bears - that would be just right.

keno

dirtdigger88
06-13-2006, 05:07 PM
You can have the Saluki.

forget Ozz- it would take him two years to get the saluki up and running-

but- why not let him pick it up and sent it to me-

Jason

rePhil
06-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Down to 3 road bikes. My main ride, a nice steel, and my commuter. I sold four this year. Plus I cleaned out my workshop and e bayed my vintage bits.

Fat Robert
06-13-2006, 05:13 PM
one is nice

two is better

three is a crowd

bcm119
06-13-2006, 05:18 PM
One road, one cross.

I'd like a race-only bike and an xc mtb, but theres no room. Too many bikes= too much work and $$ maintaining them.

dave thompson
06-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey! I'll save you shipping and come pick it up! ;)
OK, it's only 385 miles from Seattle to Spokane. Or you can wait 'till early July when I come over to do the RedSpoke ride on my last bike!

H1449-6
06-13-2006, 06:05 PM
I am seriously considering selling my Merckx Ti and my Strong again.

What size are these? I have an acquisition jones these days.

chrisroph
06-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Jim, I could see going the simplicity route but I tend to sell the bikes I don't love and keep the ones I do love. I could probably let 3 or 4 go pretty easily but most of the bikes I ride regularly are about perfect and are staying.

saab2000
06-13-2006, 06:33 PM
My CIII seems to be the best compromise of the bikes I have. Ride of steel. Contact points seem to be good. Not too light. Not too heavy. Just works. Makes the other ones seem superflous. Sorta.

chrisroph
06-13-2006, 06:38 PM
My steel spectrum is beautiful and rides perfect. My ti spectrum is beautiful, smooth, comfortable, light, and is perfect for longer rides especially if there is some rough road. My merckx aluminum is ugly, uncomfortable if the roads are rough but is a great slice and dice all out riding jump out of the saddle ride the big ring uphill jam through corners racing bike. My fendered majestic is nice if its wet and cold. My legend is perfect if I'm riding in Bend. Most of the others are single purpose bikes--cross, mtn, pista, fixed gear.

catulle
06-13-2006, 06:42 PM
No, atmo.

Frankwurst
06-13-2006, 06:51 PM
I generally sell one but turn around and buy another. I'm gonna sell my Ramboulliet and buy a Saluki or Bleriot or Kogswell Porteur because I want to give the 650b's a try. Dave? :beer:

dave thompson
06-13-2006, 07:02 PM
I generally sell one but turn around and buy another. I'm gonna sell my Ramboulliet and buy a Saluki or Bleriot or Kogswell Porteur because I want to give the 650b's a try. Dave? :beer:
What size do you wear? :)

72gmc
06-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Ahem. It is against forum rules to discuss nice bikes you want to unload without posting pics and/or tasty details.

And if it isn't against the rules, it should be.

Frankwurst
06-13-2006, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=dave thompson]What size do you wear? :)[/QUOTE

I'd probably do a 58 in Saluki size. :beer:

Frankwurst
06-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Ahem. It is against forum rules to discuss nice bikes you want to unload without posting pics and/or tasty details.

And if it isn't against the rules, it should be.
Bikes? I thought he meant shoes. :beer:

slowgoing
06-13-2006, 07:18 PM
define "too many."

GoJavs
06-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Some inventory! Look out for one of my Tesch 101s and my always-too-small Bob Jackson on the classified section soon...unless my brother talks me out of it. :)

stevep
06-13-2006, 08:23 PM
i use them all in different conditions. need 'em all to stay sane ( ok, close to sane ).
race bike
winter bike
winter bike w/ fenders
cross bike
mt bike
spare race bike ( ok, dont need this )

toaster
06-14-2006, 07:50 AM
I have 10

2 road
1 TT
3 fixed road
2 mountain
1 singlespeed moutain bike
1 cyclocross

That's a lot for one person.

CPP
06-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Yes yes yes. That's why
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=18236
Cheap plug no?
CP

djg
06-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Maybe. I've felt that way. I have one main geared road bike and one fixed gear road bike. I also have an old beater mtb--it doesn't get ridden much, but it's around. In general, I like to settle into a bike and not hop between too many sets of variables.

I felt pretty good about getting it down to two main bikes. I felt that way for a week or so. Then I saw a NOS Serotta cross frame in my size on the board. I'd been thinking about cross off and on. Very favorable pricing. Two forks, no waiting. Now I feel that I have too many bikes because that cross frame is hiding in a box in the basement as I ponder the pitch to the wife. And as I scout parts.

Ray
06-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Have had too many in the past, but I'm getting down to what I consider essentials now:

1 all out fast (as I can make it go) road bike for reasonably good roads and reasonably good weather (which is where and how most of my riding happens).

1 light touring / rando / bad weather / semi-rough stuff road bike with walkable pedal/shoe combo, Brooks, fenders, etc. But still within a couple percent of being as fleet and light as the all out roadie. Pretty much a road bike with galoshes.

1 fixie

1 bang around town bike with fat tires, flat pedals, basket, rack, fenders, swept back bars, etc. Sit up and beg - this doesn't go faster than 15 mph, even downhill.

1 folder for travelling, taking the train to distant locales, etc.

The last two could be combined, but I don't like to beat the folder up on day to day stuff because it's harder to work on and it doesn't carry as many groceries. It doesn't take up much room anyway and the other town bike's not worth anything, so no reason to dump it. So I'll likely keep both. I'm still a couple of frames beyond this ideal, but I'm getting there. Basically a four day to day bike ideal.

If I ever decide to get back into mountain biking (seems decreasingly likely, but never say never), I may add a FS mtb to the fleet. No plans to do this though - been there, done that, no real desire to do it again.

-Ray

Skrawny
06-14-2006, 08:52 AM
"the difference between enough and not-enough is huge;
the difference between enough and too much is insignificant"

-s

FierteTi52
06-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I have too many bikes and not enough time to ride them.
1988 Specialized Stumpjumper - My first quality bike. Quite the beater now.
1991 Serotta NHX - My first Quality road bike. Should probally sell it.
1996 Trek Y 22 FS Mountain Bike, Keeper for when I ride off road
2001 Serotta Hors- Used Demo fleet bike. Beat drive train. Good for winter.
2003 Serotta Fierte Ti- Great default bike. Always makes me happy!
2004 KHS Softail Cross Bike with fenders - Winter, camping, trails, etc.
2004 Ottrott St - High tech hammer machine. Not good for anything but.
2006 Kirk Terraplane- wonderful bike and probally all I need.
Gotta figure out what to sell.
Jeff

PaulE
06-14-2006, 04:50 PM
i also think it is fun, challenging and stimulating to get a new bike and begin dailing it in, acquiring new parts to get it the you want it etc. once the project is complete the whole cycle (no pun intented) seems to repeat itself. maybe it is simply the quest for the perfect bike knowing full well there is no such thing.

Most vagabonds I knowed don’t ever want to find the culprit
that remains the object of their long relentless quest
The obsession’s in the chasing and not the apprehending
The pursuit, you see, and never the arrest

from Foreign Affair, by Tom Waits