PDA

View Full Version : So all the expensive Silca Pegoretti Pumps Sold in Less than 24 Hours? jfc

dzxc
03-18-2016, 07:54 AM
some people have a lot of money.

Went on sale at 12 EST yesterday, as of this morning (maybe sometime yesterday, idk), they're all sold. Price range was $900-1,200. I assumed Silca was just hyping this up and they would be holding onto inventory for a while, guess I don't know the market.

Gorgeous pumps though.

http://silca.cc/collections/silca-artist-edition-dario-pegoretti

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0309/9521/products/DSC_7001.jpg

fuzzalow
03-18-2016, 07:59 AM
C'mon. Basta. Stop alla the piss and vinegar about money. Please man, I'm beggin' ya. :rolleyes:

bobswire
03-18-2016, 08:24 AM
C'mon. Basta. Stop alla the piss and vinegar about money. Please man, I'm beggin' ya. :rolleyes:

Yeah .leave the poor 1%'ers alone.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2dhfjhw.jpg

rwsaunders
03-18-2016, 08:53 AM
"Something is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it." Paraphrased from my manager while working my high school job at Kmart.

velomonkey
03-18-2016, 08:56 AM
"There's a sucker born every minute" which actually was said by David Hannum in criticism of P.T. Barnum.

pff
03-18-2016, 09:03 AM
that would look pretty bangin' sitting in my garage next to the cobwebs and grease stained cardboard

AJosiahK
03-18-2016, 09:06 AM
"There's a sucker born every minute" which actually was said by David Hannum in criticism of P.T. Barnum.

haha yes.

these are glorious pumps dont get me wrong

but it in the end is indeed just a pump.

fuzzalow
03-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Yeah .leave the poor 1%'ers alone.

haha yes.

these are glorious pumps dont get me wrong

but it in the end is indeed just a pump.

Gentlemen. What I post is not intended as inflammatory. Or is there any desire or need to defend the 1%, which is a group that likely neither cares about this pump nor even knows of its existence. However, these pumps and their pricing do serve as a convenient rallying point to bitch, piss and moan about a consumer good that somehow doesn't meet with the concept of some price/value point that only exists inside of each person's own head.

Nobody comes in here shilling these pumps so why the bile about why you don't like it? This kinda stuff has a thread started not to discuss the merits of the product per se, but to bitch about the price. Are you so self-preoccupied that you think anybody GAS about what anybody else chooses to buy or not to buy? Hey, I think $1m Bentley automobiles are out there but I don't begrudge someone in buying one - hell I wish I could do it too. But I got more self-respect than I'd ever want somebody else to know I was pissed off because that Bentley owner had lots more dosh than I got. Money changes everything and not always for the better.

I don't care if you bitch about this kinda thing on this forum. Really I don't care. But it looks bad to do it. And I don't like to see people I have a kinship with embarrass themselves. This stuff is classic troll too. But I don't care, hey ya got me. We're here to talk bikes, not to compare 1040s.

See you at the next stop.

dustyrider
03-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Gentlemen. What I post is not intended as inflammatory. Or is there any desire or need to defend the 1%, which is a group that likely neither cares about this pump nor even knows of its existence. However, these pumps and their pricing do serve as a convenient rallying point to bitch, piss and moan about a consumer good that somehow doesn't meet with the concept of some price/value point that only exists inside of each person's own head.

Nobody comes in here shilling these pumps so why the bile about why you don't like it? This kinda stuff has a thread started not to discuss the merits of the product per se, but to bitch about the price. Are you so self-preoccupied that you think anybody GAS about what anybody else chooses to buy or not to buy? Hey, I think $1m Bentley automobiles are out there but I don't begrudge someone in buying one - hell I wish I could do it too. But I got more self-respect than I'd ever want somebody else to know I was pissed off because that Bentley owner had lots more dosh than I got. Money changes everything and not always for the better.

I don't care if you bitch about this kinda thing on this forum. Really I don't care. But it looks bad to do it. And I don't like to see people I have a kinship with embarrass themselves. This stuff is classic troll too. But I don't care, hey ya got me. We're here to talk bikes, not to compare 1040s.

See you at the next stop.

Oh the IRONY!

livingminimal
03-18-2016, 10:58 AM
I'm proudly as much of a class warrior as just about anyone. I hate income inequality, am just a few strides away from a damn marxist, I feel the bern, etc etc etc.

I am also sitting on more bike-related retail equity than the average minimum wage worker would pull down in a year with plenty of overtime added to the total.

I work with the homeless for ····s sake! I am as much a hypocrite as anyone. I could just have one good, functional bicycle and kit and give the rest of the money away or save for my kids college funds, etc.

I have a weakness, it is bicycles. I take neither pride or shame in that. It is what it is.

That said, my Serfas pump was 40 bucks. Works pretty good!

velomonkey
03-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Gentlemen. What I post is not intended as inflammatory. Or is there any desire or need to defend the 1%, which is a group that likely neither cares about this pump nor even knows of its existence.

This a site that ridicules people for riding SRAM or tapping their bars wrong or putting the wrong color bottle cage on their bike - that ridicule is about as serious as saying something about these pumps. That is: it's all in jest and it's an internet site and, as such, all comments like this should taken with a grain of salt.

Now, let's be clear - we are talking about taking an already massively premium product and putting some paint on it and selling it at a 300% markup from the already high price.

It's cool, that's the system we all live it - it's cool. Make no mistake if I take my ti bike and have Donald Trump endorse it and I sell it for 12k as the Trump frame then I very likely have some ridicule coming my way - it would be naive to think not - I take that ridicule with me to the bank and I think of it as I make a huge deposit.

It's. All. Good.

William
03-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Hey, if you need something nice to look at while you pump away go for it. I’ll just look at the pin up on the wall while I pump my Airhammer (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/z/3jgAAOSwpDdVQYDt/$_1.JPG).

Wha…wait, that came out wrong… :confused:

:D
William

chiasticon
03-18-2016, 11:50 AM
fwiw, if anyone would like one of the standard issue versions of this pump, they can be had from backcountry at 20% off at the moment. yes, that's still damned expensive; but it's a little less painful. and it is a nice pump, really.

bcroslin
03-18-2016, 11:57 AM
For that price the air from that pump had better give me an additional 25 watts or at least make me look better. Yeesh.

nate2351
03-18-2016, 12:02 PM
I once worked with a guy who had worked at an S-works dealer in SoCal. When the McLaren Venge came out McLaren owners were buying them to store in the garage next to their McLarens.

There's a market for everything.

MattTuck
03-18-2016, 12:06 PM
I once worked with a guy who had worked at an S-works dealer in SoCal. When the McLaren Venge came out McLaren owners were buying them to store in the garage next to their McLarens.

There's a market for everything.

I have a friend who follows the vintage car market pretty carefully. He says, on high price cars, spare parts that come as an extra can see big premiums.

He gave the example of a Ferrari that came with two extra wheels. I think each wheel could be had on the open market for a couple grand. But since they came with the car, they ended up being valued at 20K or something ridiculous. I imagine the bikes will help with the resale value of those cars to some collector in the future.

OtayBW
03-18-2016, 01:30 PM
...However, these pumps and their pricing do serve as a convenient rallying point to bitch, piss and moan about a consumer good that somehow doesn't meet with the concept of some price/value point that only exists inside of each person's own head.
Yes - 99% of us! :D

03-18-2016, 07:24 PM
I kinda agree with Fuzzy. We sit around and admire Vanillas, Sachs, and other beautiful frames that by the standard of 99% of the world are not reasonable or affordable. We're the 1% who differ.

Now. Exciting news. Silca is doing another run of pumps but you'll have to get them fast. Three versions: A battleship grey one with text message graphics designed by Hillary Clinton, priced at significant discount to her Goldman Sachs speech fees. A bright white one with one line of text too small to read, capturing his whole campaign platform, designed by Bernie Sanders and cheap except that it ships from rural Vermont and won't arrive til after the election. And a gold plated one with chased designs of naked women, from you know who. There were thoughts of one done by Kasich, but though it actually improved the pump's performance it was deemed too boring to sell.

So that's that. Well, ... ... ... ... carry on.

EDIT: One serious omission. So Silca didn't offer one from Cruz. Well, Cruz is going to be a no-show so they figured his pump would be too. And anyway, if you knew Cruz' politics you wouldn't expect a pump from him to work any better.

OtayBW
03-18-2016, 07:45 PM
EDIT: One serious omission. So Silca didn't offer one from Cruz. Well, Cruz is going to be a no-show so they figured his pump would be too. And anyway, if you knew Cruz' politics you wouldn't expect a pump from him to work any better.I was told that there was an original Cruz model prototype, but nobody liked it. :D

pdmtong
03-18-2016, 08:18 PM
If you've never tried the pump - do so

You'll either buy one or be wishing you could buy one

ojingoh
03-18-2016, 08:51 PM
If you've never tried the pump - do so

You'll either buy one or be wishing you could buy one

The $1200 pump?

joosttx
03-18-2016, 08:56 PM
The $1200 pump?

Yep they are pretty awesome.

Louis
03-18-2016, 09:01 PM
Yep they are pretty awesome.

So's my 15 year old $20 Joe Blow.

saab2000
03-18-2016, 09:08 PM
I don't have the Silca pump yet but I wish I did. Problem is I can't justify one with two SKS Rennkompressor pumps around and a Lezyne to which I have attached a Silca chuck. It's pure quality and makes pumping up the tires nicer, if that's possible.

My Lezyne is fundamentally a very nice tool. But the aluminum thread-on head has a habit of unscrewing valve stems and that's never a good thing if unintended. And most threaded aluminum near rubber isn't good because threaded aluminum should be lubed and rubber and aluminum and a lubricant for the threads don't play nicely. So I just reversed the reversible head and threaded in the Silca chuck, which I got for $35 or so and that was that. It's 95% of the experience of the Silca at a fraction of the price and I have not wasted a perfectly good pump.

If you don't have a perfectly good pump and enjoy interacting with high quality stuff, check out the Silca. It's a nice tool and one you are unlikely to outlive.

Louis
03-18-2016, 09:31 PM
but I wish I did.

I don't.

If you gave me $1200 right now I wouldn't buy one.

If you offered to sell me one for $120 I wouldn't buy one.

If you gave me $1,200,000 I wouldn't buy one. (Unless it was a condition to receive the $$$.)

If they were priced at $30 I might buy one. At $50 I would definitely not buy one.

To each his own, I guess.

On the flip side, just yesterday I order a pair of $175 motorcycle gloves for the upcoming warm weather. That puts me in Rapha gloves territory. Oh the shame!

dzxc
03-18-2016, 09:35 PM
I have the nice Lezyne. I think it was $150, but it's maddening with the screw on head. Takes a while and sometimes unscrews valve cores like you said. Otherwise a great tool, but I use my decade old Serfas because it still works, even though it leaks at low pressures, because of the quick release chuck. Takes moments to add a few psi to my tires before a ride.

Didn't even think about swapping the chuck on the Lezyne though. Can I add one of those nice Silca Hiro locking chucks to it?

saab2000
03-18-2016, 09:35 PM
I don't.

If you gave me $1200 right now I wouldn't buy one.

If you offered to sell me one for $120 I wouldn't buy one.

If you gave me $1,200,000 I wouldn't buy one. (Unless it was a condition to receive the $$$.)

If they were priced at $30 I might buy one. At $50 I would definitely not buy one.

To each his own, I guess.

On the flip side, just yesterday I order a pair of $175 motorcycle gloves for the upcoming warm weather. That puts me in Rapha gloves territory. Oh the shame!

I don't want the $1200 version. I just want the normal one, which is still not a cheap item, but functionally identical to the art versions.

As implied, cost and value is for everyone to decide for themselves.

pdmtong
03-18-2016, 10:26 PM
I don't want the $1200 version. I just want the normal one, which is still not a cheap item, but functionally identical to the art versions. As implied, cost and value is for everyone to decide for themselves.

this is why, to fuzz's point, any wah-wah-wah/bile about price is just poor form.
you got the dough? the liquor will flow.

the corollary - be happy with what you have. there is always someone else.

velomonkey
03-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Who cares if someone doesn't care.

Conversely, who cares if someone does care.

There are things I will defend - a $400 pump isn't one of then. I just don't care however it shakes out.

Now, the Velowurks pump at $130 - that comes a lot closer to my liking and it looks pretty damn nice.

Till then I will spend about 9 hours a week on my bike and about 5 minutes pumping my tires with a $45 pump - that's 1/180 for pump to ride ratio. I use a lot of decision trees to justify my purchases - not sure I can devise one for the silca - I could be wrong (oddly enough I do have a silca frame pump and I did a decision tree - it came up short but much, much less so).

ofcounsel
03-18-2016, 11:20 PM
We're here to talk bikes, not to compare 1040s.

Whaaaat???? I had it all wrong??? :)

Louis
03-18-2016, 11:40 PM
Whaaaat???? I had it all wrong??? :)

Hmmmm, I seem to remember being razzed for the $125 Nashbar frame on my daily-driver.

cachagua
03-19-2016, 12:08 AM
I have the nice Lezyne... Can I add one of those nice Silca Hiro locking chucks to it?

Yes you totally can do that, and it's a great idea. By combining the best pump in the world (in your estimation) with the best head, you step entirely outside the discussion of value and price, which, who would want to stay in that discussion if they didn't have to?

Hey -- paint it. Dario owns all the paint in the world? No, it's as close as your hardware store. Smash the monopoly! Stick it to the man! Strike a blow for epistemological freedom! Don't be a fool. Buy me a drink.

happycampyer
03-19-2016, 12:22 AM
I was told that there was an original Cruz model prototype, but nobody liked it. :DI think the problem with the Cruz model was that there was a question whether it was made in Canada or the United States.

Louis
03-19-2016, 12:25 AM
Or you could go with the x-rated Trump Pump:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2308004.1438187313!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_635/trump30n-4-web.jpg

velomonkey
03-19-2016, 06:11 AM
Or you could go with the x-rated Trump Pump:

And when the Trump Pump comes out at a 500% increase and is marketed with words like 'fantastic' and 'the best' - you better not say anything about the people that buy the pumps!!!

cua90
03-19-2016, 08:26 AM
I have a friend who follows the vintage car market pretty carefully. He says, on high price cars, spare parts that come as an extra can see big premiums.

He gave the example of a Ferrari that came with two extra wheels. I think each wheel could be had on the open market for a couple grand. But since they came with the car, they ended up being valued at 20K or something ridiculous. I imagine the bikes will help with the resale value of those cars to some collector in the future.

This. It will be interesting to see if these pumps turn out to be good investments for those that got 'em.

velomonkey
03-19-2016, 08:46 AM
This. It will be interesting to see if these pumps turn out to be good investments for those that got 'em.

I'll take that bet - I'll take the bet on the McLaren Venge, too.

There are so few bike parts, frames, complete bikes that appreciate (which is unquestionably never a factor in my purchase decision, but that's me).

If I could short those pumps I would.

rounder
03-19-2016, 07:13 PM
I went to the Philadelphia bike show a few months ago and saw the Silca display and spoke with the new owner. His stuff was beautiful. He did not invent it but bought the brand and wanted to resurrect it. I really liked the wrench set and bought one. I already had wrenches but his were really beautiful, so I partly bought them because I thought they were great but also wanted to help him because I liked what he was doing.

He had a Pegoretti pump that was on display that was really pretty. He told me that the Pegoretti owners were buying them all up.

While walking around I noticed that R. Sachs and other builders had Silca pumps on display with their colors. I do not know whether they bought them to pump their tires or for display, who cares.

I have an old Silca pump that I have replaced parts over the years and still use all the time.

Anyway I think the Pegoretti paint pumps look beautiful but am not buying one. But, like what the new owner is doing. I wish him luck.

adhumston
03-19-2016, 07:34 PM
fwiw, if anyone would like one of the standard issue versions of this pump, they can be had from backcountry at 20% off at the moment. yes, that's still damned expensive; but it's a little less painful. and it is a nice pump, really.

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought an Impero Ultimate frame pump. Not cheap, but "buy once, cry once".

dzxc
03-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought an Impero Ultimate frame pump. Not cheap, but "buy once, cry once".

Kind of wish I had waited for the backcountry sale, paid full freight from Silca. Not a huge deal, but saving $35 or we would have been nice. The warranty is killer though. Enjoy!

saab2000
03-19-2016, 08:23 PM

Buy nice, or buy twice. :beer:

dzxc
03-19-2016, 08:34 PM
"Spend more money the first time and you won't end up having a potentially inferior product that you have to repair or replace multiple times over the projected lifespan of the first nice one you could have bough and thus end up spending more money in the long run even though initially the cheaper one was less expensive."

fiamme red
01-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Available today starting at noon EST: https://silca.cc/collections/silca-artist-edition-dario-pegoretti.

fiamme red
01-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Available today starting at noon EST: https://silca.cc/collections/silca-artist-edition-dario-pegoretti.Already sold out!

peanutgallery
01-12-2017, 10:57 PM
Getting your product on Backcountry is like Fonzie jumping the shark, you've been minimized along with having some distribution issues. Josh is a great kid, but that stuff is too precious for its own good

Polyglot
01-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Getting your product on Backcountry is like Fonzie jumping the shark, you've been minimized along with having some distribution issues. Josh is a great kid, but that stuff is too precious for its own good

A lot of the inventory comes from shops that go under and where all inventory has been bought out for a nickel on the dollar. Spending too much money on high end inventory is frequently a good catalyst that eventually leads to failure of shops.

nate2351
01-12-2017, 11:28 PM
I would imagine a full size canvas painted by Dario would make these look cheap. I honestly don't see whats all that surprising that these move so quickly.