PDA

View Full Version : World Cycling League Opener Tonight at Carson

ptourkin
03-18-2016, 07:47 AM
I'm headed up tomorrow. Lots of familiar faces racing (and announcing.) I really hope this works out. Very Trexlertown intensive, so it should be well run. Livestream available for all events.

"The World Cycling League presents head-to-head track cycling competition on indoor velodromes as highly entertaining, competitive sport. TeamTrak, WCL’s unique format, features co-ed teams of top track racers, an easy to follow scoring system, innovative technology and home teams to cheer for…the ideal sport for today’s tech hungry action sports fan."

https://worldcyclingleague.com/

livingminimal
03-18-2016, 08:11 AM
I think I might go too. It's date night for me and my three year old daughter, this might be the ticket.

ptourkin
03-18-2016, 08:19 AM
I think I might go too. It's date night for me and my three year old daughter, this might be the ticket.

Having taken kids to stage races, I think this is a much better format. If it goes off as planned, it's a two hour session. the sight lines at Carson are great and you can see everything that happens. I understand they're going to do video and music like the 6 days and Revolution Tour and our own Shaun Wallace is doing commentary.

I usually get to Carson on the weekends when the kids are still on the track - great program. How long till you get her out there?

livingminimal
03-18-2016, 08:21 AM
I usually get to Carson on the weekends when the kids are still on the track - great program. How long till you get her out there?

I dunno. Well see. I just got her her first bike at all, but she is into it. She watches racing with me. She's a regular on my lap watching cross races and early morning road. She will probably watch MSR with me tomorrow.

Really though, Dad needs to get on the track before she does...:rolleyes:

ptourkin
03-20-2016, 08:40 AM
Just a bump to give the organizers and racers of this event much credit. This isn't the first attempt to make 6 day style racing in the US but it was very well-done and entertaining. I went to the Saturday afternoon session and any technical difficulties they had Friday night were ironed out completely.

The racing was spectacular. We got to see the young English sprinter Matthew Rotherham hang on in a 48 lap scratch(ish) and crush the final sprint. The session ended in a tie for points which was broken by an Italian pursuit which was won by the Mexico team but only after surviving one of the fastest laps I've ever seen at Carson by Trinidad and Tobago sprinter Kwesi Browne, representing the T-Town PA team, who ended up being the overall winners. We also saw great performances by vegan punk favorite Zak Kovalcik and former San Diegan Guy East.

I can't say enough about how well it went - I hope they pull off a full series next year. Our local former Olympian Shaun Wallace said it was the best 3 days of racing he'd ever seen with the most competitive women's competition ever.

If they pull off a full tour next year, I hope everyone can come out and support. The compact two hour format is perfect for kids or anyone who isn't familiar with track racing - all the races are easy to follow formats (no Madison right now.)

You can view the video on the site: https://worldcyclingleague.com/

livingminimal
03-20-2016, 08:47 AM
I was there Friday and I agree, it was very, very well done and put together. The only problem I saw is they miss-spotted some of the riders in the elimination matches. Everything else seemed to go very well.

My friend had told me about Zak and I'd never seen him race before. He was really great. Super good teammate with great tactics.

Overall, it was just a really good time and I hope it's successful. Maybe things like this will help get the VD built in SLC they've been talking about.