PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a floor pump.

4Rings6Stars
03-18-2016, 06:45 AM
I've been using a $20 Pedros pump for the last 5 years, but it's time to upgrade.

Some requirements...

- My mountain bikes are tubeless
- Park branded pump my buddy has is worse than my Pedros
- Lezyne with the screw on pump head has never impressed me, though the quality and finish of the pumps are very nice
- Lots of kids' bikes, strollers, wheel barrows around with schrader valves so it would be nice if it could handle that too, but I can keep the crappy Pedros around for that purpose if necessary.

What are you guys using?

AngryScientist
03-18-2016, 06:52 AM
rennkompressor with tanaka head. done!

http://static.jensonusa.com/images/Default-Image/Zoom/8/PU242A00.jpg

http://www.benscycle.com/images/product/large/4864_1_.jpg

MattTuck
03-18-2016, 06:55 AM
What about one of those custom painted silca pumps?

Oh darn, this one already sold for 1200. :crap:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0309/9521/products/DSC_7001.jpg?v=1457982217

oldpotatoe
03-18-2016, 06:56 AM
I've been using a $20 Pedros pump for the last 5 years, but it's time to upgrade.

Some requirements...

- My mountain bikes are tubeless
- Park branded pump my buddy has is worse than my Pedros
- Lezyne with the screw on pump head has never impressed me, though the quality and finish of the pumps are very nice
- Lots of kids' bikes, strollers, wheel barrows around with schrader valves so it would be nice if it could handle that too, but I can keep the crappy Pedros around for that purpose if necessary.

What are you guys using?

Pancake compressor.

thirdgenbird
03-18-2016, 06:57 AM
I got the top end specalized as a gift. Its quite nice. Super wide base that has room for a keo cleat on it, big easy to read gauge, comfortable handle, and my favorite bit is the bleed valve on the handle. Great placement.

I think their lower end pumps offer the same features at a reduced cost.

FlashUNC
03-18-2016, 07:01 AM
Lezyne.

I have one of the pre-bleed valve ones, and I've never had issue with it. And the ones with the valve I'd imagine work better if you've got a problem with unscrewing valve cores with the pressure seal.

CampyorBust
03-18-2016, 07:09 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/b17136fa-5416-424c-bcc4-dc9f74e3cb2b_zpsv3myh9dp.jpg

Mr.Ed has dun right by me so far. Developed a case of dry guts after a few years use, took it apart lubed up with tri-flow still smooth. Handles tubless (fat and mtb), road, wheel barrows, basketballs, car tires (death of a thousand pumps) or anything really just fine. For tubeless I use the cheapskate CO2 method which is tricky especially with a Surly Bud but somehow I manage. When possible I will be looking into a compressor set up, so many uses it just makes sense. Of course the bling pumps are all very nice, but necessary?

ANAO
03-18-2016, 07:27 AM
I use Blackburn's (middle of the line, I think they're about $50 - Airtower 2 or something) and the first one I bought (10 years ago) has broke. Blackburn sent me a new one. The head just failed and they got me a new head within a week.

All for the cost of the first pump.

thwart
03-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Lezyne/Hirame.

Done.

But seriously, the Lezyne line (even w/o the pricey add-on head) is very good stuff.

How many threads over the years about this? Too many to count. :rolleyes:

alancw3
03-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Pancake compressor.

can you elaborate? not sure what you mean by pancake compressor? is that like a porter cable electric unit? i have one of those for car tires but have never used for bike tires. it is very loud.

this subject has been brought up many times over the years. you need to do a search to get prior threads.

my take. a specialized (yes specialized) air tool pro. about $120 and worth every bit of it in my experience with pumps. have had one for last eight years and it has never missed a beat. both bike and car tires.

MattTuck
03-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Lezyne/Hirame.

Done.

But seriously, the Lezyne line (even w/o the pricey add-on head) is very good stuff.

Don't want to let the air out of your argument, but many responses do nothing but pump the user's post count. Plus, we can inflate our sense of self worth with our recommendations.

wpod
03-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Have used my Silca track pump with brass Presta chuck since mid '80s.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/cDIAAOSwDNdVyifU/$_35.JPG

thwart
03-18-2016, 09:16 AM
Don't want to let the air out of your argument, but many responses do nothing but pump the user's post count. Plus, we can inflate our sense of self worth with our recommendations.

All that, and April 1st is still more than a week away... :D

4Rings6Stars
03-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Lezyne/Hirame.

Done.

I did read through the "best floor pump ever" thread...but wanted some fresh perspective! Tubeless is much more prevalent these days and there are a lot of new faces around here. Seem like similar recommendations though. I think I will get a Lezyne and just get used to the screw on head... possibly splurge and get one of the fancy add-on heads as well.

Thanks for the responses.

Lovetoclimb
03-18-2016, 09:31 AM
rennkompressor with tanaka head. done!

funny I did a similar thing with a defunct Lezyne. Got a warranty gauge and seal kit to rebuild it, then spent $30 (at cost) putting the two piece Silca schrader (http://silca.cc/collections/replacement-parts/products/thread-on-schrader-chuck) and presta (http://silca.cc/collections/replacement-parts/products/silca-17-4-stainless-presta-head) valve heads on it. Works great, though not the largest volume of air per stroke I've encountered.

If I were just going to a shop to buy a pump I would be hard pressed to ignore the offerings from Blackburn. Excellent lifetime warranty, lower end models work well in my experience, and very cost effective.

Lastly the new Bontrager pump with the flash charger for tubeless setup seems rather impressive, but I have not used one.

Dirtdiggler
03-18-2016, 09:34 AM
I have a Performance bike pump with dual head for shraeder and presta with gauge, that I keep in the car. Nice thing is the Performance (if local) lifetime replacement policy and it was 20 bucks.

Ryun
03-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Lezyne pump and thread silca hiro head...

happycampyer
03-18-2016, 10:26 AM
My personal favorite is the SKS Airmenius. It's pricier than the run-of-the-mill floor pump, but only about as expensive as a Silca frame pump. I don't have one personally (I have a Joe Blow, a Park and an old Silca, none of which comes close), but when I'm at Signature and have the choice between a new Silca and the SKS, I grab the SKS without question.

NHAero
03-18-2016, 11:33 AM
For you folks with Lezyne pumps - I really dislike the screw-on pump head. Is the Hirame head the best modification to this pump? Do they make one that does Schrader also? Other suggestions welcome. Like the pump, hate the end fitting.

AngryScientist
03-18-2016, 11:38 AM
For you folks with Lezyne pumps - I really dislike the screw-on pump head. Is the Hirame head the best modification to this pump? Do they make one that does Schrader also? Other suggestions welcome. Like the pump, hate the end fitting.

the tanaka, which i showed a pic of earlier in this thread is more or less a direct copy of the hirame, but cheaper and easier to find in the US. it works well.

i also own a joe blow, and topeak sells the dual head separately, it also works very well in my experience, and does both valve types.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/318CEWPPCNL._AC_UL320_SR190,320_.jpg

nmrt
03-18-2016, 12:31 PM
+1
Absolutely detest the screw on head of the Lezyne.

katematt
03-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Especially when it takes the core with it when unscrewing. UGH!!

+1

4Rings6Stars
03-18-2016, 12:42 PM
+1

That's basically the reason I started this thread. I want the quality and craftsmanship of the Lezyne without the garbage screw on head....

Ryun
03-18-2016, 12:44 PM

I prefer to use the newer silca chucks since they thread into the existing head and you retain the blow off feature. The other two work pretty well although you will need to cut the attachment off and use a clamp on the head.

cdn_bacon
03-18-2016, 12:53 PM
joe blow 2

$56 bucks Canadian. Yellow :banana: and sturdy.

JasonF
03-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Get an SKS Airmenius. The gauge is just huge, accurate, and easy on older eyes. See the attached pic of the gauge vs the SKS Rennkompressor which is also a good pump but not built like the Airmenius.

brendonk
03-18-2016, 01:45 PM
I've got a Bontrager Supercharger that has held up great. Aluminum barrel, presta and Schrader on the same chuck, can bleed off extra pressure, has a lock to keep the handle/ plunger from going up when I carry it by the handle or put it in the car while traveling. I prefer it over my 20 year old Silca because of its versatility with every bike in the household.

twors
03-18-2016, 02:18 PM
My Lezyne pump sure looks nice but I think the seal package at the piston is average at best. Doesn't seem to move much air till the last third of its travel. The screw on head works fine when clean, not so much once the threads are dirty. I replaced mine with the dual valve head from Lezyne which works OK.
http://www.lezyne.com/product-dpumps-acc-dualvalvehd.php#.VuxgqtCW4nE

thirdgenbird
03-18-2016, 02:21 PM
That SKS Airmenius looks awesome. I would totally try that if I had to do it again.

scharny
03-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Bontrager TLR Flash Charger (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-pumps/bontrager-tlr-flash-charger-floor-pump/p/11881) - I run tubeless on 3 bikes and it works great.

Keith A
03-18-2016, 03:10 PM
The search tool is your friend...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=2691649

ptourkin
03-18-2016, 03:31 PM
I've had a Lezyne fail. If you do decide to go Presta only, I've been using the KCNC Hirame-ish clone for a couple years and it is great. It has held on to indoor track tubulars pumped way higher than most people will ever go and it's $40 at Fairwheel when they're not having a sale.

bikinchris
03-18-2016, 06:01 PM
Have used my Silca track pump with brass Presta chuck since mid '80s.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/cDIAAOSwDNdVyifU/$_35.JPG

Buy once, pay less by buying right.

bikinchris
03-18-2016, 06:02 PM
My personal favorite is the SKS Airmenius. It's pricier than the run-of-the-mill floor pump, but only about as expensive as a Silca frame pump. I don't have one personally (I have a Joe Blow, a Park and an old Silca, none of which comes close), but when I'm at Signature and have the choice between a new Silca and the SKS, I grab the SKS without question.

My Airmenius is working great. The only thing is that the head doesn't work that great for schraeder valves. For most people, that would mean nothing.

Cicli
03-18-2016, 06:29 PM
I have a Velowerks and its an awesome pump.
Lezyne pumps are garbage.

4Rings6Stars
03-18-2016, 07:16 PM
The search tool is your friend...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=2691649

Sorry, three pages / 600+ views of garbage posts. Clearly not a topic people like having or one that interests anybody.

Thanks for the tip and apologies for clogging the forum. Now let's get back to talking about cars and colonoscopies. :confused:

4Rings6Stars
03-18-2016, 07:19 PM
I have a Velowerks and its an awesome pump.

Wow. That pump is gorgeous. I've never seen one before. Reading up some more on it but it's on the short list.

thwart
03-18-2016, 07:28 PM

While I certainly respect your opinion, I think 7 or 8 years of heavy use here (throughout the year, including down to 0º F) would lead me to believe otherwise.

Keith A
03-18-2016, 09:26 PM
Sorry, three pages / 600+ views of garbage posts. Clearly not a topic people like having or one that interests anybody.

Thanks for the tip and apologies for clogging the forum. Now let's get back to talking about cars and colonoscopies. :confused:No need for sarcasm when I was just try to help.

happycampyer
03-19-2016, 12:13 AM
That SKS Airmenius looks awesome. I would totally try that if I had to do it again.Me too. They have the Lezyne, the Silca and the SKS Airmenius at the shop, and the Lezyne and Silca are just finicky by comparison. The Silca's pump operation is the most solid and smoothest, but the SKS is pretty close. And while the head is the cheapest in terms of materials and feel, it is the easiest to use. The head on the Joe Blow is similar--it's not fancy, but it's no-fuss.

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/images/SKS%20Airmenius%20floor%20pump/SKS%20Airmenius%20floor%20pump.jpg?itok=x1NsbtRL

Hmm. Amazon has it on sale for $99 with free shipping...

Cicli
03-19-2016, 05:23 AM
While I certainly respect your opinion, I think 7 or 8 years of heavy use here (throughout the year, including down to 0º F) would lead me to believe otherwise.

I have most of one in the basement. I will abandon it in Madison next time I am up there.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2016, 06:10 AM
Pancake compressor.

Still suggest this and a pancake compressor. I still have a silca floor pump but this is ohh so easy...

thwart
03-19-2016, 07:00 AM
I have most of one in the basement. I will abandon it in Madison next time I am up there.

Spare parts are always welcome. The way this thing has performed, doubt that I'll need them anytime soon.

Sorry you got a lemon.

AngryScientist
03-19-2016, 07:05 AM
yes, my lezyne pump has been flawless also. it's the garage pump and sees heavy use. the rennkompressor is in the basement, and get's occasional use. both work good.

it looks like there are a few other really nice pumps out there. cant justify buying another pump though, when the few i have work so well.

bikinchris
03-19-2016, 07:13 AM
The Pedro's Super Prestige is also a very good pump.
So I recommend three pumps in my experience:
Silca Super Pista (the classic pump that will last forever)
SKS Airmenius (my new favorite)
Pedro's Super Prestige (a great work horse pump with probably the best head of the three)

Idris Icabod
03-19-2016, 08:35 AM
It was mentioned earlier but Serfas make a great pump and have incredible customer service. I've had one for 12 years and recently e-mailed Serfas as the braided metal hose is fraying in a couple of places. They told me that they no longer have a hose for that model but if I sent it back that they would warranty it and send me a new one. After 12 years I thanked them kindly but told them that in no way should it be replaced under warranty and bought a new one.

ColonelJLloyd
03-19-2016, 08:40 AM
I've got a nice Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive. Lost the Presta speed chuck within a few weeks. I'm ready to say goodbye to the flip thread chuck.

Should I get a Tanaka V2 or just go whole hog and get the Silca Hiro V2 since I have Presta and Schrader tubes to inflate?

rockdude
03-20-2016, 07:21 AM
Has anyone tried the BIRZMAN MAHA APOGEE 3. Been looking at it for awhile, it seems to get great reviews.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/best-floor-pumps-for-road-cyclists-33412/

http://road.cc/content/review/157517-birzman-maha-apogee-iii

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/roc-dude/birzman.jpeg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/roc-dude/media/birzman.jpeg.html)

DerekB
03-20-2016, 01:52 PM
I have a Birzman, can't remember which model loved the chuck, like an air compressor fitting. But after 3 months the chuck lost one tooth (only 6 total) and would not hold any more. Got another one from lbs under warranty, that one lasted 2 months. Done with them. I did try to contact Birzman but got no response.
I also tried the KCNC chuck but for the life of me I could not get it to hold. It was really nicely made but no matter how I loosened or tightened the retaining ring it would not clamp and hold the valve stem.
Back to my Specialized on its second head.

jlwdm
03-20-2016, 11:24 PM
Spare parts are always welcome. The way this thing has performed, doubt that I'll need them anytime soon.

Sorry you got a lemon.

Unfortunately, the internet is full of stories about the problems with Lezyne pumps. Mainly chuck issues, so they keep coming out with new chucks. I have the ABS2 in transit - maybe it will be the savior.

Great looking pump though.

Jeff

Nags&Ducs
03-20-2016, 11:35 PM
Best I've used is the Performance branded Hurricane. Way better than any Topeak Joe Blow series I've used and broke. Even better than my Lezynes. Doesn't have to be said that they are better than My old Blackburns.

El Chaba
03-21-2016, 05:57 AM
It's threads like these that make me glad that I still have my old Silca Pista that I purchased in 1978 when I was 15. If I had a dollar for every time I loaned this pump to stand in for some other pump that wasn't working, I would be a rich, rich man....

rockdude
03-21-2016, 06:44 AM
Has anyone tried to get the Velowürks chuck into a Zipp disc valve stem hole?

AngryScientist
03-21-2016, 06:49 AM
Hey 4rings - don't let this be one of those threads where you get a million replys and get everyone all pumped up (see what i did there), and not come back and tell us what you wound up buying.

druptight
03-21-2016, 07:00 AM
Add me to the list of happy Specialized air tool pump users. As embarrassing as it is to have to admit to using anything by the evil S, it was what I bought when I bought my first road bike and the thing just works. Car and bike tires alike are no match for it's ability to blow. I think there are 4 levels, I think I've got the 2nd one up from the bottom because it had a bigger display gauge. Every time these threads come up, I begin to get pump lust, then I remember that I've never had an issue with my stupid Specialized pump, and I sulk back down to my basement.

Powerfibers
03-21-2016, 12:36 PM
My Blackburn Airtower 3 (I think that's the right model) still works great. I would avoid the Topeak Joe Blow Sport, bought to leave at work, and it stinks!

Vinci
03-21-2016, 01:44 PM
I picked up a Lezyne Steel Drive pump a few weeks back to replace an old Blackburn Track Pump 4 that has some worn o-rings (can't find replacements).

I absolutely hate it. The "speed chuck" either doesn't work or is smarter than I am. I have gotten it to pump up a tire about 6 times, but had it completely deflate a tire every other attempt.

It's probably a fine pump with a different head, but that's what comes with it.

ColonelJLloyd
03-21-2016, 02:55 PM
It's probably a fine pump with a different head, but that's what comes with it.

I ordered the Tanaka v2 head today for my Lezyne. I'll report back.

jlwdm
03-21-2016, 04:14 PM
I ordered the Tanaka v2 head today for my Lezyne. I'll report back.

I bought the Hirame but could not get it to fit the hose.

Jeff

NHAero
03-21-2016, 04:39 PM
That's too bad, I ordered a Hirame after reading this thread!
Heat doesn't help?

I bought the Hirame but could not get it to fit the hose.

Jeff

rockdude
03-21-2016, 05:58 PM
I have had a Hirame for three or so years, hate it. Buy extra o rings you will need them.

4Rings6Stars
03-21-2016, 06:59 PM
Hey 4rings - don't let this be one of those threads where you get a million replys and get everyone all pumped up (see what i did there), and not come back and tell us what you wound up buying.

Too many options...

I've talked myself into and out of a few pumps based on info from this thread. I think I will not buy a Lezyne... Trying to determine if I should get something specifically designed to inflate tubeless tires or if I can get away without that. Also considering "borrowing" my dad's compressor and using that for my tubeless needs.

geeter
03-21-2016, 07:32 PM
I had a similar thread last year. Went with a joe blow for $25 on sale at REI. It's been fantastic

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

jlwdm
03-21-2016, 07:45 PM
That's too bad, I ordered a Hirame after reading this thread!
Heat doesn't help?

I finally took it to a bike shop and with a little heat they got it on quite a bit, but after a month or so the hose split - just too tight.

A Lezyne ABS2 chuck arrived on my front porch today - my next shot.

I keep a Serfas floor pump for when I actually need to pump up a tire. Free replacement pump if anything goes wrong with it.

Jeff

happycampyer
03-21-2016, 08:08 PM
The other day I ordered the SKS Airmenius on Amazon for $99 with free shipping. I'll probably give away the Park pump, since I like it less than the Joe Blow. The base of the Joe Blow has some rust on it from staying in the garage, but it works fine.

The action of the new Silca pump really is amazingly solid and smooth—it has a high-precision feel. I'm not a fan of the hose—too stiff for my taste—and I find the chuck to be finicky. It works great on some valve stems, but is either too grabby or not enough on others. On some valve stems I feel like I'm going to tear the valve stem at the base, or I end up whacking my fingers on the spokes from forcing the chuck to release. The SKS chuck is nothing special, but it just works. And the large volume pump, wide, solid base and large dial give it an ease of use that for me at least justifies the premium over a sub-$100 pump.

I really wanted the "Catch the Spider" Silca pump, but for completely irrational reasons. Like Dario, my wife is a cancer survivor, and he came out with that paint scheme in response to—and defiance of—his cancer. I love the metaphor. I've ridden a Responsorium and didn't particularly care for it, so I figured a pump in that paint scheme would be pretty cool (and a lot cheaper than the frame).

Elefantino
03-21-2016, 09:19 PM
One of these Lezyne Alloys was returned with a toasted hose. I replaced it, and now I have a beast of a floor pump. Much better than my trusty Spesh or my very trusty Joe Blow or the equally trusty Spin Doctor® Essential that we let customers use.

http://media.performancebike.com/images/performance/products/product-hi/40-3469-NCL-ANGLE.JPG?resize=415px:415px&output-quality=100

EPIC! Stratton
03-22-2016, 06:30 AM
http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/01/06/1454377_raw.jpg
I've had one of the Cannondale floor pumps for about 8 years and it's still going strong despite frequent use and getting hauled around to races. That said, it has metal feet which I think is a must for any pump.

I also had pretty good luck with the Bontrager and Specialized pumps in the $80 range. Tend to hold up well and have decent features (big easy to read gauge, metal feet, button to let air out on the head, autoselect heads).

Granted none of those are quite as pretty as some of the pumps that have been posted here.

ColonelJLloyd
03-22-2016, 07:35 AM
Too many options...

I've talked myself into and out of a few pumps based on info from this thread. I think I will not buy a Lezyne... Trying to determine if I should get something specifically designed to inflate tubeless tires or if I can get away without that. Also considering "borrowing" my dad's compressor and using that for my tubeless needs.

You can buy a Chinese 3gal air compressor for about $60 if that's all you're gonna use it for. I have a 3gal Bosch for finish nailers that I intend to use when I make the tubeless jump.

4Rings6Stars
03-22-2016, 07:03 PM

Just ordered the SKS Rennkompressor... Will likely also add a small air compressor to the garage.

Thanks for all of the info and commentary.

lucasfarr92
03-30-2016, 09:50 PM
Shimano PRO pumps and Bontrager pumps have lasted a long time for me. The Flash Charger by bontrager could help with tubeless too.

NHAero
04-02-2016, 02:20 PM
I bought a Hirame head. The barb is clearly too large in diameter for the Lezyne pump hose, so I put it onto an old pump I have called Eco Super Pressure Pump and put a new piston seal in at the same time. Works very well, but the old pump has no pressure gauge. Need to do some head scratching to see how to adapt the Hirame to the Lezyne...

happycampyer
04-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Thought I'd post an update as well. I've been using the SKS Airmenius pump for the last several weeks, and it makes my other pumps (Park, Joe Blow, older Silca) seem like toys.

cash05458
04-02-2016, 07:12 PM
I bought a Hirame head. The barb is clearly too large in diameter for the Lezyne pump hose, so I put it onto an old pump I have called Eco Super Pressure Pump and put a new piston seal in at the same time. Works very well, but the old pump has no pressure gauge. Need to do some head scratching to see how to adapt the Hirame to the Lezyne...

you have the Hirame...congrats...now add it to the Silca and bob is your uncle...end of story...best pump combo ever and you will leave it for your great grandchildren to mess around with and finally bury somewhere...

NHAero
04-02-2016, 09:38 PM
$450? Yikes!

you have the Hirame...congrats...now add it to the Silca and bob is your uncle...end of story...best pump combo ever and you will leave it for your great grandchildren to mess around with and finally bury somewhere...

ColonelJLloyd
04-03-2016, 11:00 AM
I bought the Takara V2 head for my Lezyne. Barb is too big for the Lezyne hose to mount all the way up, but I pushed it as far as I could and it's working fine with no hose clamp. The Takara head came assembled in a way which was unusable. Maybe this is the intent for packaging. Took me a while to figure out I had to move the rubber and plastic bits around. Anyhow, it works like a charm now.

ripvanrando
04-03-2016, 11:25 AM
I have this Lezyne, too. I like it. I use the screw on valve chuck and it works fine. I also like that it is light and small enough to fit in a suit case for travel. I have used mine everyday for the last couple of years. I am sure other pumps are better but this one works for me.

One of these Lezyne Alloys was returned with a toasted hose. I replaced it, and now I have a beast of a floor pump. Much better than my trusty Spesh or my very trusty Joe Blow or the equally trusty Spin Doctor® Essential that we let customers use.

http://media.performancebike.com/images/performance/products/product-hi/40-3469-NCL-ANGLE.JPG?resize=415px:415px&output-quality=100

doomridesout
04-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Tuning in late here and I see someone bought an SKS Rennkompressor... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
I thought it would be a good buy, that it would be cool, a classic... I was sadly mistaken. Do you like 6 point font numbers on a gauge the size of a womens wristwatch?
Do you like the capnut which secures the handle unthreading itself every time you use the pump? You'll love the SKS Rennkompressor!
In fairness, the pumping action is solid and has held up relatively well, but it's got ergonomic problems and there are plenty of good options out there otherwise.

Ed-B
04-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Just thought I'd revive this floor pump thread with the results of my own search, repair, and replacement efforts.

I have a few old floor pumps that weren't working for various reasons, and I was really tired of ruining inner tubes with pressure-fit chucks. I have a couple of Silca track pumps, one had a bad check valve, and they both needed chuck washers. And there's a Performance Hurricane that I found on trash day in need of a new chuck/head.

I bought a new Lezyne Steel Floor drive from Art's on sale. I like this pump, and the new ABS-2 chuck works relatively well. It takes a few twists of the collar on the chuck to seal it to the presta valve stems, but you can tell when its seated by watching the pressure gauge - it'll jump to read what's in the tire when it's sealed. I like the release - just pull the collar and the chuck comes right off. I ordered an extra ABS-2 chuck hoping to use it on another pump, but Lezyne uses a smaller diameter hose and it won't fit the Silca or the Performance pumps.

I put a cheap Park PFP-3 hose and chuck on the Performance pump. It has two separate openings for presta and Schrader valves. It's okay for the money, and this pump moves more volume so I'm using it in the garage for the kids bikes, wheel barrow, and motorized stuff.

I fixed the Silca with the bad check valve - I had to improvise a new check valve assembly with a cut-down presta valve stem and a Schrader/presta adapter because this old orange pump doesn't use the common replacement valve. But, that's another chapter entirely... So, about the chucks:

I wanted to try a Hirame/Hiro/Tanaka chuck on the Silca, but these heads cost more than the whole new Lezyne pump, and I don't think my old Silca pumps are worth it.

So, after reading through this thread I decided to try the SKS EVA heads on the Silca pumps. I think that these are a great replacement for the old Silca chuck. They seal quickly and release without any strain on the tube, which has always been a problem for me. You can find inexpensive replacement grommets for the SKS too.

I got the SKS chucks from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/SKS-EVA-Bicycle-Pump-Head/dp/B0089AX79O

nmrt
08-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Wanted to revive this thread and tell people that SKS Airmenius is an amazing pump.

Backstory: I always had trouble with my Lezyne Alloy floor pump regarding three issues: 1) head would unscrew the valve core, 2) head would be hard to unscrew from the valve, and 3) once the head was screwed on the valve, the air would not go into the tires but fill inside the hose. All of this made filling air a nightmare 50% of the time.

Someone in this thread commented that SKS Airmenius made filling air a joy. I never understood that comment. How could pumping air be joyous? Yes, riding your bike thorough three Colorado mountain passes is bliss, but filling air in a tire...? Gimme a break!

Let me now tell you something after owing a SKS Airmenius for two days: Filling air is a joy. I think I'll just stop riding my bike and get my daily dose of happiness by pumping air. Enough said.

bikinchris
08-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Tuning in late here and I see someone bought an SKS Rennkompressor... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
I thought it would be a good buy, that it would be cool, a classic... I was sadly mistaken. Do you like 6 point font numbers on a gauge the size of a womens wristwatch?
Do you like the capnut which secures the handle unthreading itself every time you use the pump? You'll love the SKS Rennkompressor!
In fairness, the pumping action is solid and has held up relatively well, but it's got ergonomic problems and there are plenty of good options out there otherwise.

However, the SKS Airmenius is the exact opposite. The great big gauge with large numbers, big stable foot, great pump head (mine works better with presta than with schreader) and comfortable handle make it my current favorite pump.

Dead Man
08-21-2016, 02:11 PM
I've had no problems with the old thread-on chuck that used to come with the lezyne steel floor pump, but looks like they come with a sleeve chuck now...

http://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-hp-steelY9.php#.V7n7TfkrK00

It's a good pump overall, no problems in a coupleish years I've had it... pumps my tires easily and reliably, and was cheap.. like $60? I don't remember, but I know I'm not dropping $400 on something that's probably going to get dented by the kids or run over by the wife at some point anyway.

jlwdm
08-21-2016, 08:53 PM
Dead Man, you are correct on the new Lezyne ABS2 chuck. I had about given up on the Lezyne floor pump until I installed the new chuck. Everything is good now as long as you follow the instructions.

Jeff