PDA

View Full Version : Sram, Saying Goodbye to the past

Tony
03-17-2016, 10:27 PM
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/in-loving-memory-video-SRAM-2016.html

I'm not sure I'm ready to say goodbye, yet.

alexstar
03-17-2016, 10:46 PM
Have they figured out front shifting yet? :rolleyes: remember, when Shimano had Di2 and Campagnolo had EPS, SRAM ran ads touting the superiority of mechanical drivetrains...

Tony
03-17-2016, 10:49 PM
On the same site a cool video, Clayspades. Some talented riders!
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/clayspades-airdrop-bikes-video-2016.html#commentform

ofcounsel
03-17-2016, 11:26 PM
I'm glad I've said goodbye... 1x drivetrain on all 3 of my mtb's.

loimpact
03-17-2016, 11:30 PM
Is what's good enough for MTB, good enough for road??

Or heresy? :eek: :no:

ofcounsel
03-17-2016, 11:43 PM

For me, no way I'd get away with 1x on the road.

When I'm on my mtb, I don't care or have any need to pedal 20+mph on the flats. So I don't need a large front chainring. Because of this, I can get away with using a 28T chainring and the 42T granny gear. Even though I'm fat and unfit, it works for me.

On the road, I routinely use the 50T chainring, but I also often use the 34T chainring with the 32T granny gear on my cassette (I live in a mountainous area). That's too big of a spread for a 1x road system to properly handle IMHO.

fogrider
03-17-2016, 11:54 PM
when I was at NAHMBS a few weeks ago, there where lots of 1x drivetrains on MTBs and CX bikes. it was a little odd to see the hugh rear cassettes as big as the chainring and disc brake. I know that when I'm riding on the trails, I don't ever want to shift the fd...too slow and fear of dropping the chain. but there will be a moment for front shifting...I'm not ready yet!

oldpotatoe
03-18-2016, 05:07 AM
Have they figured out front shifting yet? :rolleyes: remember, when Shimano had Di2 and Campagnolo had EPS, SRAM ran ads touting the superiority of mechanical drivetrains...

"No battery required", was their pitch...I guess 1bys have their place in MTB and cross altho kinda like pista, to change gearing, have to change chainrings. Go up or go down, but not both, particularly on the road. Their pitch to have a 'crit' bike with 1 chainring..silly..shift to big ring next to your car, go to start line.

Considering their 'history' of front der woes, I think it's 'interesting' to say adios to 'past', and embrace 1by all the time, everywhere..BUT etap..and no hydro discs?? hydro road calipers? Their brain trust needs to put the weed down.

El Chaba
03-18-2016, 05:10 AM
With SRAM's history I can understand why they would want to say goodbye to the past...

Peter P.
03-18-2016, 05:25 AM
For me, no way I'd get away with 1x on the road.

When I'm on my mtb, I don't care or have any need to pedal 20+mph on the flats.

What; you DRIVE your bike to the trails?! That's funny!

biker72
03-18-2016, 05:36 AM
Apparently SRAM has reformed after their disc brake recall debacle. Our warranty guy claims his SRAM warranty work has been reduced quite a bit. Just a couple years ago he'd get a brand new broken derailleur for a warranty replacement.

thirdgenbird
03-18-2016, 05:53 AM
Now if they could just figure out how to eliminate hubs...

Vinci
03-18-2016, 06:20 AM

I've been running 1x10 for a while on the road (50x11-23).

I live in Florida, though. I don't think it would work anywhere with hills.

velomonkey
03-18-2016, 06:21 AM
Shimano says "thanks SRAM, we got it from here."

Michael Maddox
03-18-2016, 07:58 AM
I've just built a 1x Specialized Allez DSW Sprint X1 frame set....what an unwieldy name....using the SRAM Force 1 group. For fun, I bought the 11-36 cassette as well as the 11-28 and have been riding it here in North Florida.

Make no mistake, this is a crit bike, but with the carbon fork, ENVE stem and ENVE bars, it doesn't beat hell out of you like an old Cannondale 3.0. And, with 60mm ENVE tubulars, it's a 15-pound bike that happens to be alloy.

It's a little weird putting a chain on the rings where you have to line up the links with the appropriate-sized teeth, but it's a VERY secure feeling drivetrain.

It feels sleek and fast as hell. Too bad I'm not fast as hell. It's a great bike.

dzxc
03-18-2016, 08:03 AM

Not really a fair point, to be fair. What were they supposed to say? "Electronic shifting is better, don't buy our product until we come out with it, until then buy Shimano." :rolleyes:

velomonkey
03-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Not really a fair point, to be fair. What were they supposed to say? "Electronic shifting is better, don't buy our product until we come out with it, until then buy Shimano." :rolleyes:

hold on now, guys, technically SRAM was right - the No BATTERY required ad campaign was fair, legit and true.

E-Tap requires BATTERIES. . . . . . . 4 batteries in 2 different types

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

chiasticon
03-18-2016, 08:26 AM
Have they figured out front shifting yet? :rolleyes:yep. doesn't need trim, either. :rolleyes:

sparky33
03-18-2016, 08:42 AM
SRAM is getting right in my experience, so this is no surprise.

The CX 1x clutch drivetrain works beautifully for cyclocross etc... and I wouldn't choose a 2x for a mtb either.
On the road, SRAM Yaw 2x front shifting works flawlessly. I prefer it to Shimano or Campy front shifting, and those are very good too. SRAM does not appear to be abandoning road 2x.

we can all agree to disagree.

pff
03-18-2016, 09:02 AM

Swallow a piece of humble pie and don't say anything about electronic shifting until your product line has caught up. Seems kinda dumb for the engineers to be hard at working coming up with a (gimmicky) new electronic drivetrain at the same time the ads were all "this destroys the soul of cycling!"

chiasticon
03-18-2016, 09:06 AM
we can all agree to disagree.WRONG! we have to bring the subject up at least once a week and continue to beat a dead horse! :no:

gospastic
03-18-2016, 09:08 AM
WRONG! we have to bring the subject up at least once a week and continue to beat a dead horse! :no:

you mean you don't like reading through a bunch of whiny crap to get to somewhat meaningful posts?

sparky33
03-18-2016, 09:13 AM
WRONG! we have to bring the subject up at least once a week and continue to beat a dead horse! :no:

Where is the Like button?

velomonkey
03-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Look at this way - at least SRAM isn't as bad as the Duke V Yale game later today.

A bunch of kids who couldn't get into Harvard playing a bunch of kids who couldn't get into Yale.

dzxc
03-18-2016, 09:28 AM
Swallow a piece of humble pie and don't say anything about electronic shifting until your product line has caught up. Seems kinda dumb for the engineers to be hard at working coming up with a (gimmicky) new electronic drivetrain at the same time the ads were all "this destroys the soul of cycling!"

Haha, not really a good way to run a business one would think. "Let's just ignore what the competitor is doing in order to project our humbleness." Nah, every business will tout its product as the best there is, regardless of the actual truth of that statement.

sparky33
03-18-2016, 09:53 AM
Look at this way - at least SRAM isn't as bad as the Duke V Yale game later today.

A bunch of kids who couldn't get into Harvard playing a bunch of kids who couldn't get into Yale.

Let's face it, many of us would have been thrilled at the chance to play ball at any of those schools or to have a ticket to the game tomorrow. So I guess a lot of people would be be happy with SRAM too.

josephr
03-18-2016, 09:53 AM
who needs a FD when your 12sp cassette goes to 50T? Also serves double purpose as a pizza pan.

http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/possible-leaked-photos-of-new-sram-12-speed-eagle-drivetrain/

seanile
03-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Considering their 'history' of front der woes, I think it's 'interesting' to say adios to 'past', and embrace 1by all the time, everywhere..BUT etap..and no hydro discs?? hydro road calipers? Their brain trust needs to put the weed down.
the video specifically says, "mountain bike front derailleur." they're not ditching it across the board "all the time".

simonov
03-18-2016, 12:09 PM
SRAM is getting right in my experience, so this is no surprise.

The CX 1x clutch drivetrain works beautifully for cyclocross etc... and I wouldn't choose a 2x for a mtb either.
On the road, SRAM Yaw 2x front shifting works flawlessly. I prefer it to Shimano or Campy front shifting, and those are very good too. SRAM does not appear to be abandoning road 2x.

we can all agree to disagree.

Beat me to it. Yaw front ders beat Shimano and Campy IMO, not that they're bad.

ofcounsel
03-18-2016, 12:12 PM
What; you DRIVE your bike to the trails?! That's funny!

Yep!! All the time. Even when the trails are only 4 miles away. Why waste time/effort on the road when I can get to the trails faster driving to the trails and spending time riding on terrain I really want to ride. I have no ego, pride or shame associated with my riding... I just ride what I want to ride, where I want to ride.

If I want to ride on the road with traffic, I have a road bike.

Mark McM
03-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Yep!! All the time. Even when the trails are only 4 miles away. Why waste time/effort on the road when I can get to the trails faster driving to the trails and spending time riding on terrain I really want to ride.

If I want to ride on the road with traffic, I have a road bike.

4 Miles? Really? How long does that take to ride, like 20 minutes at most? Balance that against the time to: Load the bike on the car; put what ever equipment/clothing might be necessary into the car; drive to the trailhead; unload the bike from the car; when done riding, put the bike back on the car; change out or your dirty, muddy clothes before getting into the car (you don't want to mess up your upholstery, right?); drive back home; unload the bike from the car. I'm guessing that there is barely any times savings, if at all.

If it were me, I'd actually be too lazy to do everything to transport the bike 4 miles in a car, and just jump on the bike and ride to the trails (I've ridden much further to get from my home to the trails). Besides, riding to the trails gives me a warm up so I can hit the trails hard from the start, and then a warm down afterward. (Not to mention that if I ride to the trails, I don't have the danger of driving all the way there, and then discovering I left something important behind, like shoes or gloves).

ofcounsel
03-18-2016, 12:43 PM
4 Miles? Really? How long does that take to ride, like 20 minutes at most? Balance that against the time to: Load the bike on the car; put what ever equipment/clothing might be necessary into the car; drive to the trailhead; unload the bike from the car; when done riding, put the bike back on the car; change out or your dirty, muddy clothes before getting into the car (you don't want to mess up your upholstery, right?); drive back home; unload the bike from the car. I'm guessing that there is barely any times savings, if at all.

If it were me, I'd actually be too lazy to do everything to transport the bike 4 miles in a car, and just jump on the bike and ride to the trails (I've ridden much further to get from my home to the trails). Besides, riding to the trails gives me a warm up so I can hit the trails hard from the start, and then a warm down afterward. (Not to mention that if I ride to the trails, I don't have the danger of driving all the way there, and then discovering I left something important behind, like shoes or gloves).

Yes, really. I don't take a car, I take a truck. And it's no issue loading, you just throw the MTB in the back of the truck. After we're done riding, no changing out of clothes... It's mtb clothes, so it's shorts and t-shirts (not spandex)... And dirt in the truck doesn't matter.... It's a truck. Oh yeah, and in SoCal, we try to let the trails dry out after a rain. Riding seriously muddy trails is a major no-no if you're responsible MTB rider in SoCal.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/1064300_10151779339481057_721849391_o_zpsjp6apoek. jpg

My typical routine is: (1) friends meet at my place at 7:00 am. (2) We drive to the trailhead. (3) Ride the trails. (4) done riding, load up the bikes and drive to any number of good breakfast burrito joints...

sparky33
03-18-2016, 12:58 PM
Nice truck! I so want a pickup truck.
I use my wagon like a truck, but it is still not a truck.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/1064300_10151779339481057_721849391_o_zpsjp6apoek. jpg

benb
03-18-2016, 01:25 PM
The 1x is intriguing to me for MTB but I think I'm stuck in the past and would go to a 2x first. I have an old school XT crankset with 22/32/44 rings IIRC and I have something like an 11-32 or 11-34 9-speed cassette in the back.

I find the 22 ring nearly useless. But I do not like to load my MTB in the car if I can ride to the trails. I use the big ring almost 100% of the time on my MTB if I'm on the road or on gravel, and I use the middle ring basically all the time as soon as I get onto singletrack or anything else technical. I pedaled through 32mph on my MTB ride Wednesday. IIRC I averaged something like 14mph on the road portions, but I was not trying to go fast and I started the ride with all of 30psi in the front tire and 35 in the back. It's not really much slower than my all city space horse with 700x38 tires if I really work at it.

I just don't really see how I could do that on the 1x setup but maybe I could given the pie-plate cogs in the back? Still I'd need a pretty big chainring for the faster stuff. My bike is a giant NRS so it is still the kind of MTB that likes to be pedaled hard.

I have 0 trouble with the front derailluer on my MTB. It's not even matched. I have SRAM X.0 shifters and an XT front derailleur. (I do have the matched SRAM rear der.) It's pretty much perfect. I haven't had to fix anything in years, and it never dumps the chain.

30/44 or something might be perfect for me with a 2x setup.

No fan of SRAM on the road but their MTB stuff has been great for me, at least for drivetrain. I didn't have much good luck with their V-brakes back in the day and I had 2 SID shocks fail on my bike. (Not sure if those were before or after SRAM bought RockShox.) I have a Monarch RT3 or something on my bike and that's been solid for the past 3 years and is SRAM as far as I know.

My stuff is real old though I was actually thinking about it the other day.. but it keeps trucking on. I think my shifters and derailleurs are 10 years old.

Tony
03-18-2016, 05:32 PM
I don't have much experience with 1Xs, have one here waiting for my new frame, Shimano 1X 11. Test rode several bikes with 1x 11 setups and like the system a lot.
Today did a MTB ride from a bike shop in Auburn, (Victory Velo) several miles to the trail head and was glad for the current 2X on my mtb. I also find that the 2X helps when that O s--t moment happens, one click drops me into a much lower gear fast for that unexpected climb.

unterhausen
03-18-2016, 08:18 PM
I don't have any mtb's with 1x, but it makes the most sense to me. When I finally get around to building a mtb frame, then I will go that way. I tried to put together a 1x drivetrain for the road, and I just couldn't get the range that I wanted, even giving up the bigger gears that I almost never use.