PDA

View Full Version : Wheels for my Black Mountain Monster cross

skiezo
03-17-2016, 07:52 PM
I thought I would start a new thread on cross wheels since I am clueless in this area.
So I do have a set of HED tubulars on DT 240 hubs that I could use but I also use these on one of my road bikes. I am thinking about going tubeless/clincher.
I am meeting a guy in the morning to pick up a set of wheels that he had on the local CL. They are Mavic CXP 33 rims paired with 32 hole campy record hubs in 10 speed.
I am only paying $100 for the pair, so if nothing else the hubs are worth that.
He said they have about 500 road miles so should be in good condition.
Would these be OK to use with a clincher cross tire? If not I could get the hubs built to another rim like a SL23 or an H plus son archetype.
Like I said I am clueless in the cross wheel area. So just looking at other options as well.
If the CXP 33 will work I will be in business, just need to grab some tires and tubes.

Brian

thirdgenbird
03-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Cxp33 are old school narrow but they will work fine. Pleanty of people did it before the wide rim trend. Great deal on the wheelset btw. Maybe I should convince you it won't work ;)

What color ar the rims?

jtakeda
03-17-2016, 08:04 PM
What's the BMC spaced to? Is it 130 or 135?

skiezo
03-17-2016, 08:07 PM
They are a black rim. It looks like they are 19.4 wide outside.
I may just use the hubs and get a 23mm or 25mm rim. I will see what they look like before I go any further.
Like I said earlier the hubs alone are worth the price I'm paying so either way I don't think I can go wrong.

thirdgenbird
03-17-2016, 08:10 PM
They are a black rim. It looks like they are 19.4 wide outside.
I may just use the hubs and get a 23mm or 25mm rim. I will see what they look like before I go any further.
Like I said earlier the hubs alone are worth the price I'm paying so either way I don't think I can go wrong.

I've got a pair or very low milage red cxp33 rims that I wish were black. If you take these wheels apart and someone wants red...

vav
03-17-2016, 08:20 PM

This. FWIW I had a set of 32h CXP33 laced to CK hubs on my Zanc and did CX races, gravel rides and plenty of road riding with zero issues

etu
03-17-2016, 08:30 PM
that is a great deal, just for hubs! sounds like you're all set.

sandyrs
03-18-2016, 04:47 AM
Ride those until the rims wear out!