PDA

View Full Version : OT Anyone use Apple to repair their iphone screen crack?

Kingfisher
03-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Have a small hairline crack at top of my iphone 6...barely visible but still there. Just wondering what success or not you guys have had with apple or other means of screen repair.

rwsaunders
03-17-2016, 12:33 PM
My wife broke her screen a while back and they fixed it while we waited at the Apple Store...appx $75 if I recall correctly.

Mikej
03-17-2016, 12:33 PM
Have a small hairline crack at top of my iphone 6...barely visible but still there. Just wondering what success or not you guys have had with apple or other means of screen repair.

I had one, they just took my broke phone and 100$ and gave me a new refurbished phone. Be sure to back it up before you go in. It was actually a 5 not a six.

p nut
03-17-2016, 12:35 PM
Dropped my 6 Plus last year and cracked the screen. I called independent shops, but they charged MORE for the screen repair. Didn't make sense, so took it to Apple. They weren't able to fix it (some issue with getting the screen to work), so they just gave me a new phone. Didn't really want a new phone, but it was nice.

If you go this route, back up your phone before taking it in, just in case they also issue you a new phone.

EDIT: Mikej beat me to it.

mgm777
03-17-2016, 12:37 PM
I used Apple recently to replace my broken screen, on a 5S. They charged me $129. I felt that was fair. I dropped it off and picked it up an hour later.

oldpotatoe
03-17-2016, 01:18 PM
My local 'Batteries Plus' repairs these screens and iPads also.

Anarchist
03-17-2016, 02:18 PM
My local 'Batteries Plus' repairs these screens and iPads also.

Onlyy issue with this is that I think Apple are the only ones that actually guarantee the touch screen will still work after they do the repair.

Pierre
03-17-2016, 02:29 PM
dude, do yourself a favour and do not attempt it yourself. I gave it a try with an ipad mini and let me tell you, it's not for the faint of heart. On the ipad mini there are like 32 tiny, tiny screws that you need to carefully take out (and not lose!). It is extremely difficult not to break the LCD behind the screen when you take everything apart so you end up having to buy both on ebay. Then there is the question of the quality of the glue that comes pre-attached to the replacelment screen...it sucks. All that to say...that it's $75 well spent to have someone do this for you. This coming from a guy who is not afraid to take anything apart: cars, bikes, household items of any sort, you name it...but I cried uncle with this thing.