PDA

View Full Version : Compact Handlebar Question

jberenyi
03-17-2016, 11:09 AM
It's been years since I have considered buying a new bar but it's time. I have had the Deda Newton Deep Drop bar on one bike since new and my other bike has the FSA Omega compact bar which was put on last year. What a difference! I actually love being in the drops on that bike. Seems like most compacts these days are running approx 125mm drop and about 70-80mm reach. I found in the closet an unbadged Specialized bar that measures 125mm drop and 70mm reach which is close to the FSA Omega but without the 4 deg flare. I have mixed emotions about the flare on compacts because the top measurement is lets say 42cm and the bottom at the flare is 44cm which is where FSA measures from. Wish they made a 46cm in this bar. So I ask the group, what is your favorite drop and reach specs when using Campagnolo shifters and a compact handlebar?

soulspinner
03-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Like my Ritchey Curve with 128 drop and 73 reach with Campag 11... oh and these dont flare like my Easton bars, I prefer the Ritchey. Ive got small hands and can thumb shift from the drops.

Cicli
03-17-2016, 11:31 AM
I really like the Ritchey EvoCurve but I really like the EvoMax better. It may have too much flare for your liking though.

Mark McM
03-17-2016, 11:53 AM
I like ITM non-compact bars with my Campagnolo shifters.

Personally, I don't like compact bars, for several reasons:

Firstly, when I'm in the drops, my hands are all the way forward in the hook (index fingers snugged against the bottom of the brifter lever body), so its more like I'm holding onto the front of the drop, than to the bottom of the drop. The shallower drop on most compact bars means they have a smaller curve radius, which means my hands have to fit into a more cramped area with a sharper radius curve when I'm in the drops. (Since I'm not really on the bottom of the drops, compact bars don't change my vertical hand position much.)

Secondly, the smaller reach dimension of compact bars means that there is less reach distance between the bar tops and the hoods with compact bars. So, there is less difference in upper body position between the tops and hoods also, and therefore less variation in upper body position available with compact bars.

Finally, the longer reach with compact bars means that I have to use a longer stem for the same total reach. While I had been able to get away with a 12 cm stem with non-compact bars, I now have to use a 13 cm stem, which I have found is made is available in fewer varieties than shorter stems.

rwsaunders
03-17-2016, 12:16 PM
I'm using the Deda Zero 100 bars with Campag newer Ergos and they're great. I had a pair with DA 7700 and the fit was fine on them as well. They're not known as a racing bar in terms of stiffness but they're very comfortable for general and long rides.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-zero100-rhm-black-handlebar/

skiezo
03-17-2016, 12:38 PM
I have a set of zipp SLc2 bars with '15 chorus and like them alot.
My other set is a set of Pro Vibe carbon compact with 10speed record. Not sure which one but they fit me good in the drops.
There are a number of great compacts out there now. Just need to find the ones that have the numbers you are looking for.

carpediemracing
03-17-2016, 12:43 PM
I like my FSA Compact bars (alum sort-of-wing). I think they're the Wing Pro Compact. Aluminum, $45 when I bought them at the local shop (no discount). I think it's 125mm reach, 80mm drop. 40 cm bar, which measures similar in width to a 38 cm Zipp SL80.

I use Campy new style levers.

carpediemracing
03-17-2016, 12:44 PM
Also, related to compact vs regular bars, I had to get a 3 cm longer, 3 cm lower stem, as the compact bars had 3 cm less reach, 3 cm less drop. I spend much/most of my time in the drops so it was important for me to position the drops in the same place as before.

Waldo
03-17-2016, 12:46 PM
FSA Omega is my fav, and it's a ton of bang for the buck.

kramnnim
03-17-2016, 12:57 PM
3T Ergosum, lots of reach. I hate short reach.

FlashUNC
03-17-2016, 01:00 PM
I prefer the Ritchey WCS Classic myself. Still get that classic bend for lots of hand positions. And doesn't break the bank either.

eddief
03-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Is it Omega, is it Gossamer, is it Gossamer Wing, or what? I think one has round profile all the way and the other (wing) has squished, flattened portion between the stem and the shifters. I have grown to love the squished one. I am all Shimano, all the time.

pinoymamba
03-17-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm using the Deda Zero 100 bars with Campag newer Ergos and they're great. I had a pair with DA 7700 and the fit was fine on them as well. They're not known as a racing bar in terms of stiffness but they're very comfortable for general and long rides.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-zero100-rhm-black-handlebar/

this is what i run...

I prefer the Ritchey WCS Classic myself. Still get that classic bend for lots of hand positions. And doesn't break the bank either.

i wish they made these in 36-38cm...

Keith A
03-18-2016, 03:43 PM
I've been playing around with different compact bars for a while and thought I'd share my input on this subject. BTW, I'm using Shimano and not Campy, but I'm not sure if this matters much.

o Deda Zero 100 -- Nice bars, no flare...but not as "compact" as some of the others. I don't like the hook/drops as much as the others, but I ride these regularly and it's just fine.

o 3T Ergonova -- Small amount of flare, really nice drop/hook and I like the flatish top. These a my current favorites.

o 3T Ergosum -- Same as the Ergonova's, just round top bar instead of the oval shape.

o FSA Wing Pro -- Similar to the Ergonova's, but with a little more flare. The hook/drops feel a lot like the Ergonova's, but what I don't like is the curve from the top towards the brifters is much more pronounced and therefore the flat section in the middle is reduced.

o Ritchey Evo Curve -- Just put these on a bike and I think they have some real potential. The hooks/drops feel similar to the Ergonova's and they have a minimal amount of flare. The top bar curves back towards you and this feels very comfortable in my trips around the block. I'll be wrapping these soon and am looking forward to taking them out on a real ride.

shovelhd
03-18-2016, 03:45 PM
3T Ergosum, lots of reach. I hate short reach.

My choice as well, but I don't ride Campy.

Duende
03-18-2016, 04:11 PM
I like ITM non-compact bars with my Campagnolo shifters.

Personally, I don't like compact bars, for several reasons:

Firstly, when I'm in the drops, my hands are all the way forward in the hook (index fingers snugged against the bottom of the brifter lever body), so its more like I'm holding onto the front of the drop, than to the bottom of the drop. The shallower drop on most compact bars means they have a smaller curve radius, which means my hands have to fit into a more cramped area with a sharper radius curve when I'm in the drops. (Since I'm not really on the bottom of the drops, compact bars don't change my vertical hand position much.)

Secondly, the smaller reach dimension of compact bars means that there is less reach distance between the bar tops and the hoods with compact bars. So, there is less difference in upper body position between the tops and hoods also, and therefore less variation in upper body position available with compact bars.

Finally, the longer reach with compact bars means that I have to use a longer stem for the same total reach. While I had been able to get away with a 12 cm stem with non-compact bars, I now have to use a 13 cm stem, which I have found is made is available in fewer varieties than shorter stems.

+1

Compact just didn't give me enough range of riding positions.

I really like the feel of ENVE Classic drop bars with my Record11 shifters

jberenyi
03-18-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm currently leaning towards the Zipp SL80's or Ritchey WCS Evocurve. Thoughts anyone?

beeemmjay
03-18-2016, 08:03 PM
I've been running the Enve Compact with Campy and haven't had any issues. The bar wraps up really well and transitions really nicely. The flatish top is also pretty comfortable. I'm switching to a new bike, new set-up and am likely going to the Deda Superleggara just for sake of something new. From what I see, the dims aren't too different, a mildly little shorter reach, a slightly deeper drop.

jberenyi
03-18-2016, 08:14 PM
Dude...there is no way I can afford that bar. But thanks anyways.

I've been running the Enve Compact with Campy and haven't had any issues. The bar wraps up really well and transitions really nicely. The flatish top is also pretty comfortable. I'm switching to a new bike, new set-up and am likely going to the Deda Superleggara just for sake of something new. From what I see, the dims aren't too different, a mildly little shorter reach, a slightly deeper drop.

kramnnim
03-18-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm currently leaning towards the Zipp SL80's or Ritchey WCS Evocurve. Thoughts anyone?

If I had to replace my Ergosums with something other than Ergosums, I'd get Evocurves.

kramnnim
03-18-2016, 08:49 PM
o 3T Ergosum -- Same as the Ergonova's, just round top bar instead of the oval shape.

Ergonovas have a lot less reach.

Keith A
03-18-2016, 09:30 PM
Ergonovas have a lot less reach.Interesting, I'll have to check this out.

r_mutt
03-19-2016, 10:00 AM
I have been riding a Ritchey Neo Classic. I switched from a Deda Zero-100. It still has a flat transition to the shifters like a Zero-100 and a short but classic bend in the drop. Best of both worlds

bobswire
03-19-2016, 10:27 AM
Focus Wing:
CEX concept
Length: 40 cm c-c ( I measure mine to be 44 cm c-c since there is a slight flair_
Clamp Size: 31.8 mm
Reach: 80 mm
Drop: 120 mm
These were team bars that pros closet was selling on the bay, purchased two sets and thinking of getting another.

http://i65.tinypic.com/4j0pw2.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/11rf4ig.jpg

loimpact
03-19-2016, 09:52 PM
One of the things I've found that mfgrs don't really spec out on their pages is.....LENGTH of drop!

One of my Cannondale EVO's came with C2 bars which don't necessarily look compact because of their classic curve, but they are. 70mm reach and 125mm drop.

On my other EVO, I put the Ritchey Logic Curve and quickly realized that the drops are significantly shorter in length and don't bend the same at all.

C2's bend til the drops come back to parallel with the tops.

Ritchey Curve are much shorter length on the drops and I find the heel of my hands often are either AT the edge of hang off. I do LOVE the way the drops feel up closer to the front though. GREAT for crit racing.

I eventually would like to find a blend of these two bars. (shrug)

CANNONDALE C2 with its long drops and ability to go parallel to the ground without forcing the tops of the bars to point down......
http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq279/redgtxdi/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpeg

RITCHEY LOGIC CURVE with its more downward-pointing drops and shorter drop length but great upper curve in the drops for great hand positioning in crits!!!!......
http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq279/redgtxdi/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpeg

OtayBW
03-20-2016, 07:33 AM
Modolo Curvissima if you can find one used. 143/91. Great profile on the tops and great shape on the drops. Fantastic bar, IMO.

fignon's barber
03-20-2016, 10:12 AM
Have Ritchey WCS Curve on all my Record equipped bikes. I didn't prefer the Evo Curve, though.

warren128
03-20-2016, 10:23 AM
I decided to try a Zipp SL80 (42cm, 80mm reach, 125mm drop) on my recently completed Lemond ti, and I'm very happy with them so far (only 4 rides on it). I'm using them with 2014 Campagnolo Centaur brifters.

tuscanyswe
03-20-2016, 10:34 AM
Its not a compact bar but the zipp contour sl is my fav bar (together with an older s works bar). And it matches okay with campy levers if you like a flat transition (tho i still prefer the old shifters shape..). As said not compact but just 2 mm deeper and 3mm longer reach vs the short n shallow version.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1668/25307135173_3328248bc9_z.jpg

The zipp sl80 with campy levers look a bit to pointy for me tho i get that comfort is prio. Its like the new (ha 6 years old going on 7 is new to me..) high tops of the shifters is magnifying the effect of the curve. Just looks bit off imo.

quattro
05-15-2016, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=loimpact;1939823]One of the things I've found that mfgrs don't really spec out on their pages is.....LENGTH of drop!

One of my Cannondale EVO's came with C2 bars which don't necessarily look compact because of their classic curve, but they are. 70mm reach and 125mm drop.

C2's bend til the drops come back to parallel with the tops.

I eventually would like to find a blend of these two bars. (shrug)

CANNONDALE C2 with its long drops and ability to go parallel to the ground without forcing the tops of the bars to point down......
http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq279/redgtxdi/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpeg

I recently purchased a Cannondale bike with ENVE bars that were to wide, the shop gave me a pair of Cannondale C2 bars while I look for a replacement carbon fiber bar, I love the shape. Looking for a pair of carbon fiber bars with the same type of bend, I also like the far that the bars come in parallel to the tops. Wondering if you found anything with a similar bend to the Cannondale C2,
Thanks,
quattro

Black Dog
05-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Dead RHM 02. Cheap and ticks off all the boxes that you are looking for.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/BlackDogryka/Bike/9d8e320d-afce-4aec-8eec-0ddcac45aa26_zps091d6823.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/BlackDogryka/media/Bike/9d8e320d-afce-4aec-8eec-0ddcac45aa26_zps091d6823.jpg.html)

quattro
05-16-2016, 06:06 AM
[QUOTE=Black Dog;1974211]Dead RHM 02. Cheap and ticks off all the boxes that you are looking for.

Never heard of the brand Dead. Where are they from? What is the drop and reach of these bars?
Thanks,
quattro

jc031699
05-16-2016, 06:42 AM
Deda
:)