PDA

View Full Version : Request for Steel Fork Recommendations

deees
06-13-2006, 12:01 PM
I bounced my 10-year old CSI off a mini-van last spring, (their fault). In addition to cracking the top and down tubes, the fork was damaged. The frame was returned to Serotta for repair, but unfortunately when it came back, the fork was different, (requiring a long-reach brake caliper.) I’ve been in contact with the sale rep for my area to try to secure a replacement, but apparently Serotta no longer utilizes steel forks.

I can ride the bike, (I purchased a long-reach brake caliper), but would prefer to not to require one for all future component upgrades. Since it’s not looking good for obtaining one from Serotta, I’d like try to find one on my own, (hopefully, I can get Serotta to paint it to match my frame.)

I’ve attempted to search on-line to identify a retailer, but it seems that all the after-market forks are composite, or the manufacture is too obscure for me to feel comfortable dealing with. I would appreciate any recommendations for a supplier of compatible steel forks that would utilize a standard brake caliper.

christian
06-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Any number of competent frame builders could build you a nice steel fork.

For a lugged roadbike, I'd look to Curt Goodrich and David Kirk, first.

- Christian

NateM
06-13-2006, 12:14 PM
David will build you a very nice fork.He had a little something to do with Serotta in a prior life.

David Kirk
Kirk Frameworks Company
329 Little Wolf Road
Bozeman MT 59715

Big Dan
06-13-2006, 12:21 PM
A nice steel fork would be great. Shimano sells Ultegra quality long reach calipers. good luck.
David Kirk or Curt Goodrich can make you a great fork....
:beer:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=R600+Brake+Calipers+Long+Reach&vendorCode=SHIM&major=1&minor=7

deees
06-13-2006, 12:44 PM
I appreciate the responses. However, while the two recommendations look very capable, they also look rather "pricey" and probably a bit "exclusive". I need a custom frame because of my height, (I ride a 68cm frame), not my skill level. I was hoping to find something off-the-shelf and reasonably priced, (since I’ve sort of paid for it at least once.) I'd also like to conclude this chapter in my life that has extended for over a year. I imagine that both builders probably have a waiting list and I don't think I could get Serotta to do the paint job if I wait too much longer.

P.S. I’m currently using the R600, but would like to do away with the need for one.

PanTerra
06-13-2006, 12:51 PM
http://www.tommasini.com/eng/forcelle.html
http://www.tommasiniusa.com/

Don't know what is available in steerer lengths.

http://www.tommasini.com/eng/forcelle/big/forcella7.jpg

christian
06-13-2006, 12:51 PM
I think you will have a very very very hard time finding a lugged steel fork with a long enough steerer for a 68cm frame on a production basis, but that said, have a look at the replacement forks on the Thorn Cycles page (sjsc.com). Alternately, perhaps a call to Riv might turn up an old fork for a 68cm Rambouillet or Redwood. That'll have a threaded steerer though.

- Christian

djg
06-13-2006, 01:18 PM
I appreciate the responses. However, while the two recommendations look very capable, they also look rather "pricey" and probably a bit "exclusive". I need a custom frame because of my height, (I ride a 68cm frame), not my skill level. I was hoping to find something off-the-shelf and reasonably priced, (since I’ve sort of paid for it at least once.) I'd also like to conclude this chapter in my life that has extended for over a year. I imagine that both builders probably have a waiting list and I don't think I could get Serotta to do the paint job if I wait too much longer.

P.S. I’m currently using the R600, but would like to do away with the need for one.

Well, I'd at least make a few phone calls to see what sort of time frame (and cost) the suggestions might entail. You could also try calling spectrum (Tom Kellog). Builders folks seem to like, but who may have quicker turn around and/or lower prices, include John Slawta (landshark), Zanconato, Steve Rex, and a few others you might search out. I think that Rex sells a pre-fab lugged steel fork that you could ask about. Excel sports sells chromed gios forks. Also, you can look at the NOS offerings at gvh bikes--one of these might be long enough, and have the right rake, and if so, you could have it repainted.

It seems to me that the advantages of steel may be tied to getting the right fork built for you and your frame. For a stock, off-the-shelf generic fork that could be painted to match a frame, you could get a carbon fork today.

Big Dan
06-13-2006, 01:25 PM
GVH bikes has some steel forks that could work. check under misc components or call Tom.
I got a nice chrome fork from Gary (R.I.P.) a couple of years ago.

cpg
06-13-2006, 01:40 PM
I'd contact Serotta directly. Somebody screwed up if you bike came back with a fork for standard reach brakes when it had short reach before. If the frame was built for standard reach then putting on a shorter fork will mess up the geometry. Find out if the front end was built correctly before moving onto the fork. Serotta has a well deserved reputation of excellant customer service. If I'm understanding the issue correctly, Serotta will undoubtedly take care of you.

Curt

deees
06-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I'd contact Serotta directly. Somebody screwed up if you bike came back with a fork for standard reach brakes when it had short reach before. If the frame was built for standard reach then putting on a shorter fork will mess up the geometry. Find out if the front end was built correctly before moving onto the fork. Serotta has a well deserved reputation of excellant customer service. If I'm understanding the issue correctly, Serotta will undoubtedly take care of you.

Curt

I tried that starting back in October when I got the frame back. Since then, I've spoken with and emailed the customer service rep numerous times. I don’t know if you’ve dealt with their service/sales reps, but they travel a great deal and are extremely hard to get a hold of. The last time I talked to him, he stated that he was going to turn this issue over to someone else, but that was a couple months ago and I’ve not heard anything since. From what I’m hearing in this thread, I don’t think that they have any control over this. Steel forks apparently are just pretty scarce these days. I don’t expect Serotta’s going to drop everything to patch up a 10 old frame, (or order a custom made fork to fix this error).

I just wish they had researched the replacement before they quoted the repair. I was reimbursed by the other driver’s issuance company for the frame repair, but have eaten at least $500 in other associated costs, (things like the caliper).

I’d hope I could put an end to this issue by get my own fork and perhaps get them to paint it, but it does appear that it’s going to be that easy.

OldDog
06-13-2006, 02:35 PM
I would think if a satisfactory fork is not available their insurance owes you a new frame/fork. Their client wrecked a custom bike, they need to make whole or replace a custom bike.

Edit - Dees - we posted about the same time, I now see your post.

*****James/Andrew - please pm Dees**********

Fixed
06-13-2006, 02:36 PM
http://www.tommasini.com/eng/forcelle.html
http://www.tommasiniusa.com/

Don't know what is available in steerer lengths.

http://www.tommasini.com/eng/forcelle/big/forcella7.jpg
bro cool I dig the tecnos
cheers

PanTerra
06-13-2006, 02:39 PM
bro cool I dig the tecnos
cheers

Check out my beater.

Fixed
06-13-2006, 02:46 PM
bro you got fine taste .i.m.h.o.

cpg
06-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I tried that starting back in October when I got the frame back. Since then, I've spoken with and emailed the customer service rep numerous times. I don’t know if you’ve dealt with their service/sales reps, but they travel a great deal and are extremely hard to get a hold of. The last time I talked to him, he stated that he was going to turn this issue over to someone else, but that was a couple months ago and I’ve not heard anything since. From what I’m hearing in this thread, I don’t think that they have any control over this. Steel forks apparently are just pretty scarce these days. I don’t expect Serotta’s going to drop everything to patch up a 10 old frame, (or order a custom made fork to fix this error).

I just wish they had researched the replacement before they quoted the repair. I was reimbursed by the other driver’s issuance company for the frame repair, but have eaten at least $500 in other associated costs, (things like the caliper).

I’d hope I could put an end to this issue by get my own fork and perhaps get them to paint it, but it does appear that it’s going to be that easy.

Serotta fixed it and they did it wrong. Call Serotta. Bypass the traveling rep. He or she seems to be dropping the ball. Let the good folks at Serotta know the problem. If they can repair your Csi and build you a fork that's wrong, they can fix the problem. I can understand your sentiment about servicing a 10 year old frame but they already did. Just not correctly. Just to be clear, I am in no way busting Serotta's chops.

Curt

deees
06-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Call Serotta. Bypass the traveling rep. He or she seems to be dropping the ball. Curt

I've tried. Unfortunately, those people just deferred back to the original rep. and I wind up back where I started. It’s a small company, so it not like there is a lot of people who handle complaints. If you have a contact number or address for someone that could and would resolve this issue, I’d love to have it.

Fixed
06-13-2006, 06:24 PM
bro i can't believe it. that don't sound right . are you sure?
cheers

deees
06-13-2006, 06:56 PM
bro i can't believe it. that don't sound right . are you sure?
cheers

What doesn't sound right?

Brons2
06-13-2006, 06:59 PM

I ride a 68 also. :D

If you ever want to sell that CSI later, let me know :D

eddief
06-13-2006, 07:19 PM
http://www.mikkelsenframes.com/pages/803200/index.htm

Not sure anyone competent would do it for less. Not in the elite class by some measuring sticks, but I've seen alot of his work in the Bay Area and he's quite good. That price on his site may be for straight blades, but it never hurts to check it out. He does like to talk...shall we say.

A custom tigged painted steel frame and fork for $1150 in ten days. He does stems too.

Fixed
06-13-2006, 07:56 PM
What doesn't sound right?
bro that serotta would sell you something wrong and not fix it. I have trouble with that knowing serotta .
cheers

deees
06-13-2006, 08:37 PM
bro that serotta would sell you something wrong and not fix it. I have trouble with that knowing serotta .
cheers

I'm not implying that they did it deliberately. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, (and they admitted it freely). The fact that I can’t get it fixed seems to suggest that it may just be that they can’t fix it. It looks like the supply of economical, (for a business), steel fork is nonexistent. As this issue take longer and longer to be resolved, I sure it look less and less attractive to devote resources on.

Brons2
06-13-2006, 08:41 PM
How do you define "economical"? You should be able to get a steel fork made for under $200.

deees
06-13-2006, 09:08 PM
How do you define "economical"? You should be able to get a steel fork made for under $200.

Perhaps, (please provide purchasing information since I'm looking for one), but for a business there is their burden to cover as well. They might wind up spending $500 dollars just to get the fork out the door. Remember, they have already purchased one fork, (the wrong one), spent labor to paint, etc,. They did get paid for that one, but now they'd have to turn around and buy another one and do it all over again. And ther’re not going to get anything to cover that second expenditure.

Fixed
06-13-2006, 09:12 PM
bro I have a fork that is long enough but you'll have to thread it . but you don't want just any fork on a csi do you?

vandeda
06-13-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't know ... if they didn't fix it right, they can make it right. Even if they have to call up their former employee David Kirk and say "hey bud, can you make us a steel fork to these specs? Thanks!" And Voila.

dan

Fixed
06-13-2006, 09:17 PM
yeah bro they ain't that small and they got big friends .i.m.h.o.
cheers

vandeda
06-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Lost in Translation ...

Serotta James/Andrew, we gotta help a brother out, anything you can do to remove the middle man and get him all hooked up with the right fork?

Dan

Peter P.
06-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah; you got a problem. Either you're getting poor customer service from the sales rep, Serotta, or both.

You're getting a run around.

Call Serotta direct and tell them so. Tell them you want to break the circle of finger pointing and "not my job" stuff.

Either Serotta "repairs" the fork (it sounds like you're willing to pay for it) or their customer service isn't all its rosy web site paints it to be.

Brons2
06-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Perhaps, (please provide purchasing information since I'm looking for one), but for a business there is their burden to cover as well. They might wind up spending $500 dollars just to get the fork out the door. Remember, they have already purchased one fork, (the wrong one), spent labor to paint, etc,. They did get paid for that one, but now they'd have to turn around and buy another one and do it all over again. And ther’re not going to get anything to cover that second expenditure.

what's up with the "don't cry for me, argentina" act with the bike shop overhead?

there's something you're not telling us.

or, you just want attention.

you're throwing up obstacles at every turn. Have you even contacted any of the framebuilders listed on this thread about a fork? I'm guessing, no.

William
06-14-2006, 06:02 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00063ECX2.16._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Seriously. If you're serious, call Zank. He'll build you exactly what you need....top of the line quality with out breaking the bank.

William

deees
06-14-2006, 06:46 AM
what's up with the "don't cry for me, argentina" act with the bike shop overhead?

there's something you're not telling us.

or, you just want attention.

you're throwing up obstacles at every turn. Have you even contacted any of the framebuilders listed on this thread about a fork? I'm guessing, no.

1. I'm not talking about any bike shop overheard, I'm talking about Serotta's.

2. As a matter fact, I've already sent my steer tube measurements to one member of this forum. I'll review some of the other suggestions when I am able.

Lost in Translation ...

Serotta James/Andrew, we gotta help a brother out, anything you can do to remove the middle man and get him all hooked up with the right fork?

Dan

I've been dealing with Serotta directly on this issue. They’re telling me that they can’t locate a steel fork to replace the long reach one.

Serotta_Andrew
06-15-2006, 11:05 AM
1. I'm not talking about any bike shop overheard, I'm talking about Serotta's.

2. As a matter fact, I've already sent my steer tube measurements to one member of this forum. I'll review some of the other suggestions when I am able.

I've been dealing with Serotta directly on this issue. They’re telling me that they can’t locate a steel fork to replace the long reach one.

The fork is being repaired and or replaced. As what happens many times in threads here in the Serotta forum, bits of information is assumed before or with the lack of all information.

We no longer build steel forks but this does not mean we do not build forks for warranty. This is the case here. There were options given and somewhere the communication was lost. We need the fork returned and this is what we are waiting on. It is difficult to proceed with out the item in hand.

cpg
06-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Well done. See I knew they would come through. So many times these things just need to get communicated correctly and to the proper people. Serotta is a company of humans and humans make mistakes. The mark of a great company is how they deal with their mistakes. This is where Serotta, the company, shines. They have a history of dealing with their mistakes in a fair and timely fashion. Sure they make great bikes but well let's face it so do LOTS of other companies. But really creates customer loyalty is how people are treated. Customer loyalty goes a long way in making a company successful.

Curt

Fixed
06-15-2006, 01:10 PM
.. bro this serotta we are talking about here . cheers

vandeda
06-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Lost in Translation ...

Dan

Yup .... good to hear it's all going to work out in the end :banana:

d

palincss
06-15-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm not implying that they did it deliberately. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, (and they admitted it freely). The fact that I can’t get it fixed seems to suggest that it may just be that they can’t fix it. It looks like the supply of economical, (for a business), steel fork is nonexistent. As this issue take longer and longer to be resolved, I sure it look less and less attractive to devote resources on.

Let's see if I have this right. The geometry has not changed, you like the way the bike rides, but your only problem is you need a long-reach (formerly known as "standard reach") brake - and you've gotten this worked up about it? Unless the brake you put on there is a Paul Racer, I know it didn't cost all that much. Why not just ride the bike and forget about it? As for "future upgrades," brakes are basically forever. They don't wear out, they just need pad replacements.

catulle
06-15-2006, 07:14 PM
The fork is being repaired and or replaced. As what happens many times in threads here in the Serotta forum, bits of information is assumed before or with the lack of all information.

We no longer build steel forks but this does not mean we do not build forks for warranty. This is the case here. There were options given and somewhere the communication was lost. We need the fork returned and this is what we are waiting on. It is difficult to proceed with out the item in hand.

Bravo...!