PDA

View Full Version : Zipp issues recall on skewers and front hubs

bloody sunday
03-17-2016, 08:12 AM
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/zipp-recalls-18530-quick-release-skewers-expands-hub-recall-46651/

I'm affected by this recall...

My question is - will a shop just replace them, or will I have to wait weeks for a replacement?

thegunner
03-17-2016, 08:14 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=183892

you need to wait weeks - they make the shop ship it back to zipp (source: i did this yesterday)

bloody sunday
03-17-2016, 08:19 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=183892

you need to wait weeks - they make the shop ship it back to zipp (source: i did this yesterday)

well that freakin sucks

sitzmark
03-17-2016, 08:32 AM
Better than my recalled Ortovox S1+ avalanche transceivers that had to ship to Deuter USA (Denver) ... they shipped to Germany ... Germany back to Denver ... and I'm still waiting. Got email last week saying they're back in the States. Sent them in October. The good news is avalanche season will soon be over.

MaraudingWalrus
03-17-2016, 08:34 AM
Well,

this inspires great confidence in the two sets of NSW series wheels I just ordered for a regular of ours.

sitzmark
03-17-2016, 08:43 AM
Well,

this inspires great confidence in the two sets of NSW series wheels I just ordered for a regular of ours.

The NSW Cognition and standard 77/177 hubsets are a complete change of strategy for Zipp. Returning to heavier hubs, totally captured spokes and star-flanged designs.

88/188 series took things a little too far with weight reduction, ease of assembly, and watt loss from friction. V9 corrected the deficiencies. 2015 188 v10 trended back to "lightness" by machining out a good bit of the metal between spoke seats in the V9 rear hub flange, but all that changes with 2016 and going forward. Now back to sealed designs and laced-in (rather than snapped-in) spokes. Cognition is very much "DT-like"

denapista
03-17-2016, 08:43 AM
Zipp should recall all of their crappy hubs... With so many amazing talented engineers in this world, they couldn't make a hub with decent weight that didn't need constant maintenance? I had a set of the silver hub 404 Firecrest wheels. Oh man, those hubs were pure garbage. One of those business decisions where it was money over quality. Probably didn't want to spend the money to get the hubs right, or there's a culture of sub par engineering over there.

MattTuck
03-17-2016, 09:00 AM
I don't follow the carbon wheel world very closely, but my impression is that Zipp's main point of differentiation is in its aerodynamics.

It would logically flow then that hubs are not a big area of investment. Not really a good or bad thing, just the way the world works.

denapista
03-17-2016, 09:02 AM
Can't really achieve aero gains if your hubs won't spin freely.
The wheel is composed of many parts that work in unison.

sitzmark
03-17-2016, 09:11 AM
I don't follow the carbon wheel world very closely, but my impression is that Zipp's main point of differentiation is in its aerodynamics.

It would logically flow then that hubs are not a big area of investment. Not really a good or bad thing, just the way the world works.
Zipp constantly tweaked 88/188 hubs - just wasn't the most robust design to start with. The pinnacle of low weight and low rolling resistance was the 82/182 series. All spokes were fully captured, but there was zero sealing. I have/had a number wheelsets with 82/182 or 108/208 (82/182 internals - J-bend flanges) with many thousands of miles and zero issues. Except rain riding - do it and just had to replace the bearings. Never bought into the pre-V9 88/188 hub design - especially the 20H rear hub. Just wouldn't go there.

Climb01742
03-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Am I correct that the recall applies to Zipp's carbon wheels only and not 101s? Just making sure my reading comprehension skills aren't rusty.:rolleyes:

sitzmark
03-17-2016, 09:20 AM
Am I correct that the recall applies to Zipp's carbon wheels only and not 101s? Just making sure my reading comprehension skills aren't rusty.:rolleyes:

I believe 88/188 hub series WAS used in 101 wheelsets. Should follow up with Zipp or dealer.

MaraudingWalrus
03-17-2016, 09:34 AM
The NSW Cognition and standard 77/177 hubsets are a complete change of strategy for Zipp. Returning to heavier hubs, totally captured spokes and star-flanged designs.

88/188 series took things a little too far with weight reduction, ease of assembly, and watt loss from friction. V9 corrected the deficiencies. 2015 188 v10 trended back to "lightness" by machining out a good bit of the metal between spoke seats in the V9 rear hub flange, but all that changes with 2016 and going forward. Now back to sealed designs and laced-in (rather than snapped-in) spokes. Cognition is very much "DT-like"

I understand that they're totally new hubs, and totally different than anything else they've done in the past decade+. And the fact that they are so different (and really nice hubs when I saw them, and saw the cutaway) is one reason I was excited about ordering the NSWs for the customer.

That said, it's still less than confidence inspiring, and will potentially make for a fun conversation with the customer.

A lot of purchases like this include some degree of consideration for image, and this doesn't help Zipp's image. Getting past the image, and the customer's perception that Zipp hubs explode, was the hard part of the customer's decision to purchase these particular wheels over something else. It wasn't about technical performance, it was about the concerns of hub shells and flanges breaking, like this customer has seen happen to several riders' Zipp wheels around here.

To some extent "perception is reality" and the perception many people have is that Zipp hubs explode.

sitzmark
03-17-2016, 09:44 AM
To some extent "perception is reality" and the perception many people have is that Zipp hubs explode.

This is absolutely true.
That said, I have not experienced it and none of those I ride with that have Zipps have experienced it. I've been told of DT and Mavic hub flanges shattering - there are pics on the internet showing that. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other is how I've looked at it. Have Zipp, DT, Mavic, Shimano, Suntour, and whatever Fulcrum branded hubs are - never had an issue with any of them yet.

...well I take that back a bit with Mavic - hate that stupid bushing.

bloody sunday
03-17-2016, 10:19 AM
should I worry about the rear?

sitzmark
03-17-2016, 10:41 AM

No - not for the recall.

gregblow
03-17-2016, 08:04 PM
i got rid of my Zipps years ago after a failed hub. Since then I have watched friend after friend's Zipps fail them. All along thinking why do they still ride those.

oldpotatoe
03-18-2016, 05:16 AM

Only of you ride in the rain and you don't have a good source of bearings..:eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

bloody sunday
03-18-2016, 07:09 AM
i got rid of my Zipps years ago after a failed hub. Since then I have watched friend after friend's Zipps fail them. All along thinking why do they still ride those.

how did yours and theirs fail? catastrophic?

Look585
03-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Zipp should recall all of their crappy hubs...

As long as they only recall the crappy ones... :)

The T2 track hubs are very very nice.

sitzmark
03-18-2016, 11:24 AM
Only of you ride in the rain and you don't have a good source of bearings..:eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hey, I only have a modest bearing collection in the corner of the garage.... LOL

gregblow
03-18-2016, 02:45 PM
how did yours and theirs fail? catastrophic?

race wheels that i used for ironman. i did a race in the rain and the hub seized. My friends have broken spokes continually and even hub flanges. I witnessed it at least 4 times on our rides.