PDA

View Full Version : center pull brake for canti fork?

AngryScientist
03-17-2016, 06:55 AM
OK, someone edu-ma-cate me on this. is there a center pull brake, similar to the paul racer that i can use on a canti fork?

I would love to throw one on as the only brake on my fixie-moots.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1O0ui6UJI1o/VTRU3SYx5qI/AAAAAAAACAo/6pz52JsXXmk/s1000/P1080461.JPG

ColonelJLloyd
03-17-2016, 08:24 AM
One of us hasn't had enough coffee. The centerpull would have to be mounted upside down on cantilever posts, no? Besides, as good as Paul Racers are, centerpulls are generally going to be heavier and less effective than cantilevers or linear pull brakes.

unterhausen
03-17-2016, 08:28 AM
I understand the desire, but you have to remove the posts. Canti's stink

ColonelJLloyd
03-17-2016, 08:40 AM
Yeah, definitely me that hasn't had enough caffeine. I see now what you're asking.

The answer depends on the particular fork and the clearances it has. But, I think you should be able to use a good many centerpulls or long reach dual pivot sidepulls if the crown is drilled.

Is that a Nature boy fork? Looks like a Racer would fit fine.

All that said, cantis stink? This is news to me.

bobswire
03-17-2016, 09:34 AM
A Paul mini moto would look good for that rig,that way you can do away with the hanger. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZTLJTY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008ZTLJYY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=16WH4WZBNF0BBKXH27YE

sparky33
03-17-2016, 09:36 AM
??? The centerpull direct mount pivot posts need to be much higher than canti pivot posts...they are not interchangeable or am I misunderstanding the question.

I wouldn't think you would need more than a touch of canti-braking for a fixie anyway. Though if you are doing this just for style points, then carry on because it is good to look good.

Pegoready
03-17-2016, 09:41 AM
No. No one makes a centerpull style brake that bolts onto cantilever placed bosses.

Centerpull Brakes that use canti-style posts (like the Paul, Mafac, Dia Compe, etc.) need the posts in a very specific spot, which is not the same as canti/v-brake placement.

You could have a custom fork built. I did this with Waterford. They make a very nice Paul Racer specific fork that can be built to the same ~395 mm axle-crown height as most canti cyclocross fork.

What is wrong with the canti brake you have on there now? What about upgrading to a V-brake like the Minimoto?

jr59
03-17-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure what you are asking.

If the fork is drilled, Pauls long reach work great.

AngryScientist
03-17-2016, 09:44 AM
What is wrong with the canti brake you have on there now?

Thanks for the responses folks, that's kind of what i thought. Unless i can use the drilled bridge mount for the paul racer, i'll have to take a few measurements. to answer the above, nothing wrong with the canti, i just like the looks of the paul racer :beer:

p nut
03-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Maybe with 26" wheels it would work? :banana:

pdmtong
03-17-2016, 12:25 PM
OK, someone edu-ma-cate me on this. is there a center pull brake, similar to the paul racer that i can use on a canti fork?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1O0ui6UJI1o/VTRU3SYx5qI/AAAAAAAACAo/6pz52JsXXmk/s1000/P1080461.JPG

serious comment. yer the only guy who can pull off the red bib look.

Formulasaab
03-17-2016, 12:49 PM
It would certainly spark up the look.

http://www.houseind.com/objects/velo/housevelopaulracerbrakesblack

They say to contact them about center mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

palincss
03-17-2016, 02:49 PM

Canti posts are in the wrong place for mounting centerpulls. You could have them moved, of course; brazed-on centerpulls rock.

ColonelJLloyd
03-17-2016, 11:14 PM
Canti posts are in the wrong place for mounting centerpulls. You could have them moved, of course; brazed-on centerpulls rock.

I made the same mistake too, but it seems not many people read past the first post. The OP is not talking about mounting a centerpull brake to the cantilever posts. He is talking about mounting it to the hole in the fork crown as you would a sidepull brake. And, yes, it will work.

cat6
03-17-2016, 11:18 PM
serious comment. yer the only guy who can pull off the red bib look.

Not true.