PDA

View Full Version : Good, reasonably priced headsets for modern carbon road bikes....

loimpact
03-16-2016, 09:22 PM
I ended up not needing one as the frame I bought came with Cannondale's own SI setup, but as I was shopping my recent build, I was surprised how expensive the Cannondale SI headsets were so started looking at others like Chris King, FSA etc. I noticed that prices were surprisingly all over the place.

Anybody have a go-to headset (again, expansion type for carbon steerers) that they like when you're starting to get nickel & dimed to death on a build??

TIA!

vqdriver
03-16-2016, 09:42 PM
My go to has been the cane Creek 40 series

sfscott
03-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Chris King. Period.

FlashUNC
03-16-2016, 10:44 PM
Cane Creek 40, though I usually just get the 110.

bmeryman
03-17-2016, 05:54 AM
Another vote for the cc40.

saab2000
03-17-2016, 06:01 AM
I don't understand the question. Most modern frames come with an internal, and often proprietary, headset that integrates exclusively with the frame and fork. The days of just pulling out your headset and installing a Chris King are over, at least with regards to modern carbon frames.

I once had a Look 481 where someone had attempted, for reasons unknown, to install other parts and it never worked well after that and it ended up being sold.

Headsets in Looks are FSA and while that brand isn't known for premium products, their internal headsets are perfect if left alone except for occasional cleaning. They are internal and protected for the most part and unless water is sprayed or sweat drips into them there's not much to go wrong so I don't know why anyone would try to replace one.

The headsets in my Looks and Giant are trouble free and have excellent bearings.

shovelhd
03-17-2016, 06:43 AM
Internal doesn't have to mean proprietary. Both of mine are internal tapered IS41, two different frame manufacturers. I buy the bearings separately. It's much cheaper that way. If you are going to buy a manufactured HS then Cane Creek is good, as is the high end FSA (not the cheap junk). SRAM, no comment.

Winter kills my lower headset bearings every year or two. The combination of water, salt and sand coming off the front wheel and directly into the bearing is hard to overcome.

tumbler
03-17-2016, 07:19 AM
Another vote for the CC40. Cheap and cheerful. The 110 is also very nice.

loimpact
03-17-2016, 07:42 AM
I don't understand the question. Most modern frames come with an internal, and often proprietary, headset that integrates exclusively with the frame and fork. The days of just pulling out your headset and installing a Chris King are over, at least with regards to modern carbon frames.

I once had a Look 481 where someone had attempted, for reasons unknown, to install other parts and it never worked well after that and it ended up being sold.

Headsets in Looks are FSA and while that brand isn't known for premium products, their internal headsets are perfect if left alone except for occasional cleaning. They are internal and protected for the most part and unless water is sprayed or sweat drips into them there's not much to go wrong so I don't know why anyone would try to replace one.

The headsets in my Looks and Giant are trouble free and have excellent bearings.

It just had to do with not knowing whether this last build frame even *came* with a fork, much less headset. And, yes, my instinct would be to go oem, but if you go looking for Cannondale EVO headsets, you'll find they're not cheap. That being the case, I'd have opted for something less expensive but brand-named.

Cane Creek's system of headset ID is rather complex if you ask me, but thorough nonetheless. Thus their bazillion different headset options.

I see some FSA headsets for circa $20, which I'll assume is the cheap junk.

And I recently saw a bike in my LBS for a headset replacement because the steering centered on the straight-ahead position like a saloon door. While a good greasing should keep them happy, there's still the possibility that stuff can go wrong too.

benb
03-17-2016, 07:52 AM
Personally I've never had a problem with a headset, who has? My MTB is 12 years old and the headset (cane creek) is totally fine, it's never received any maintenance and I am definitely bad about cleaning it.

The Trek Domane I just got came with an FSA headset. The previous carbon bike I had (BH G5) also had an FSA headset. My all city space horse has a cane creek I think.

I had a Chris King on my Serotta. No problems there, only got a King cause it was somehow associated with the brand and the shop that built the bike suggested it.

merlinmurph
03-17-2016, 12:08 PM
CK headset on my '97 Merlin
18+ years, ~60k miles
'Nuff said

Dead Man
03-17-2016, 12:12 PM
I've never heard of a King headset bearing going out.

I know it happens, because they offer bearing replacement service (they're not user replaceable).. but I don't think they do them very often.

soulspinner
03-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Cane creek external on steel. Less stack than a C.K. Cane Creek 110 IS on the carbon bike. Both have been flawless for several thousand miles.

CiclistiCliff
03-17-2016, 12:32 PM
cc40 for 99 percent of customer builds. Some stock headsets in stock bikes are junk, but most are decent. If there is an OEM option I recommend to go that route as if there is a warranty issue in the future, you know that won't be a reason for a warranty being denied.

Bob Ross
03-17-2016, 03:31 PM
And I recently saw a bike in my LBS for a headset replacement because the steering centered on the straight-ahead position like a saloon door.

Ah, yes, the old "indexed steering" syndrome! I've had that. Way too often.

Personally I've never had a problem with a headset, who has?

:::raises hand::: As per above...between the missus & me we've had to replace the headsets on three different bikes in the past 5 years, all due to pitted bearings which resulted in the "indexed steering" syndrome. One was a ~30-year-old headset so nobody was surprised...but the others were an ~8 year old FSA integrated, and a 5 year old Chris King NoThreadSet (!)

[edit: Oh, and apparently also a 2 year old Orange Velo, as I just discovered tonight. fml ]

Dead Man
03-17-2016, 04:17 PM
Yea.. Ive had many headsets burn out. Almost always cheap Cane Creeks.. Hence my aversion to Cane Creek headsets in general

soulspinner
03-18-2016, 05:10 AM
I had a Record headset that indexed It was so long ago I cant remember if it was from incorrect adjustment..