PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Potenza, I want to like it, but...

Robbos
03-16-2016, 11:56 AM
I really want to like this group. I really want to see Campagnolo find more OEM spec. I think it is important to have more competition. I've always appreciated certain aspects of Campagnolo, but this, IMO, this is one ugly groupset. I know taste is an individual thing, but those cranks are hideous, and the derailleur has to be one of the singularly ugliest bike bits I've seen in some time. They've managed to make it look overbuilt, heavy, and cheap. On top of it, early reviews are that it is OK, but nothing special.

fiamme red
03-16-2016, 11:59 AM
My 9-speed Shimano 105 looks a lot prettier to me.

MattTuck
03-16-2016, 12:01 PM
I thought the 4 arm look would grow on me, but it still hasn't. Anytime I see one, I am repulsed.

ultraman6970
03-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Took them like 3 years to figure it out how to put a self extracting arm in this thing??

vqdriver
03-16-2016, 12:09 PM
I thought the 4 arm look would grow on me, but it still hasn't. Anytime I see one, I am repulsed.

same here.
not sure i expected to 'like' it, but certainly i expected to get used to it. i still haven't. all these 4 arm road cranks look jarring to me.

having said that, this doesn't look any more or less fugly than other campy stuff. :eek: i'm using chorus 11 on a bike, and i've never thought it was the 'functional art' that everyone keeps telling me it is.

but whatever.... it's bicycle stuff.

paredown
03-16-2016, 12:35 PM
same here.
not sure i expected to 'like' it, but certainly i expected to get used to it. i still haven't. all these 4 arm road cranks look jarring to me.

having said that, this doesn't look any more or less fugly than other campy stuff. :eek: i'm using chorus 11 on a bike, and i've never thought it was the 'functional art' that everyone keeps telling me it is.

but whatever.... it's bicycle stuff.

Funny--you'd think that 360 deg/4 and 90 between would look right, but some how symmetrical doesn't work visually. Maybe the eye sees it as 'divided' and not fluid.

You can see the designers added those leading edge details on this to give the crank a more dynamic look, but the old 5 spoke thing did that--360 deg/5 (not at first blush an obvious choice) and your eye sees it as a unity, and maybe it somehow captures a feeling of motion as well...

ghammer
03-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Regardless of the look, it seems to me Campy is coming to the party a little bit too late, e.g. when the hot ladies left and the kegger of IPA is empty.

When I saw the headlines this am about the new group, I had hope. I thought "well, here's hoping campy is waking up to the reality of serious competition."

11spd? check
funky 4 arm cranks? check

so far so good.

then i saw the levers and their one-at-a-time cog dump, and can't help but feel that campy is slumming this business. The group is expensive, heavy, with huge throw lever action and disposable ergo levers. forget them. and you know what? since they broke my heart with a garbage-y, plasticky veloce a coupla years ago, i sold my campy stuff and settled on sram, happily so. And more, i even got myself a pair of microshift levers (plus FD/RD) and am happy as a clam. No more proprietary wheel, no more worrying about what will campy do next. Because obviously I cannot afford chorus and its 1k+tag, and campy's other lines are suspicious, to put it mildly.

The way I see it they locked/priced themselves out of the OEM market, quality has fallen unless you can spare a few US$Ks, and will either close down or be bought out by some Chinese conglomerate. Sorry, campy - i thought i'd never say this but I see you putting a noose around your neck and am not helping you out of it.

laupsi
03-16-2016, 01:01 PM
wow, and no one has ridden it, correct? me thinks Campy is held to a higher standard, yes more costly, also because, well, it's Campy. The name still carries a lot of cache. despite its functional performance I always thought Ultegra looked cheap, replaceable, heavy and clunky. oh, and nothing was uglier than SRAM when they first went into production, but they had many happy consumers given that it was affordable and performed as well as expected.

livingminimal
03-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Thanks for starting an entire thread to make sure your voice was heard regarding Potenza's aesthetics.

thirdgenbird
03-16-2016, 01:13 PM
I love it in a cinelli alter sort of way.

I would totally rock one of those new raw Allez Sprint x2 frames with one of these groups in silver. Round it out with some the new shamal wheels and Thomson bits. Beautiful? No. Good looking in an industrial workhorse sort of way? I think so.

One at a time shifting may feel like slumming, but that's been the standard for other top flight groups for years. In some situations (sprinting and offroad) some people actually find it preferable. The new eps style power shift has also been touted as quite durable.

thegunner
03-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Thanks for starting an entire thread to make sure your voice was heard regarding Potenza's aesthetics.

isn't that one of the purposes of our forum? pointless banter? fwiw, i stopped liking the look of campy after 10s record, that hoodshape just doesn't do it for me.

livingminimal
03-16-2016, 01:14 PM
isn't that one of the purposes of our forum? pointless banter? fwiw, i stopped liking the look of campy after 10s record, that hoodshape just doesn't do it for me.

Yes and there are already multiple threads on this particular topic, especially one called "Campag 2017 rumors where Potenza et al are being discussed to death.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Regardless of the look, it seems to me Campy is coming to the party a little bit too late, e.g. when the hot ladies left and the kegger of IPA is empty.

When I saw the headlines this am about the new group, I had hope. I thought "well, here's hoping campy is waking up to the reality of serious competition."

11spd? check
funky 4 arm cranks? check

so far so good.

then i saw the levers and their one-at-a-time cog dump, and can't help but feel that campy is slumming this business. The group is expensive, heavy, with huge throw lever action and disposable ergo levers. forget them. and you know what? since they broke my heart with a garbage-y, plasticky veloce a coupla years ago, i sold my campy stuff and settled on sram, happily so. And more, i even got myself a pair of microshift levers (plus FD/RD) and am happy as a clam. No more proprietary wheel, no more worrying about what will campy do next. Because obviously I cannot afford chorus and its 1k+tag, and campy's other lines are suspicious, to put it mildly.

The way I see it they locked/priced themselves out of the OEM market, quality has fallen unless you can spare a few US$Ks, and will either close down or be bought out by some Chinese conglomerate. Sorry, campy - i thought i'd never say this but I see you putting a noose around your neck and am not helping you out of it.

Gee , Campagnolo is almost dead, OEM is the only answer, gotta be just like spam and shimano. Interesting you mention 'throw away levers', then say you bought sram.

BTW, 11s, check, Campagnolo brought 11s to market first.

Also remember that MO prices do not the market make. MSRP for 6800 a month ago and what, less than $600 MO/UK?

But if some pix on BikeRadar and mention of OEM turns you off, groovy but like Rolex, Ducati and Porsche, it isn't for everybody.

sandyrs
03-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Interesting you mention 'throw away levers', then say you bought sram.

Preach!

sloar
03-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Looks like it belongs on a mountain bike.

FlashUNC
03-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Speaking from experience, the 4 arm crank doesn't seem to photograph all that well. I find it stunning in person.

Scratches that Mavic Starfish itch that exists from the long long ago.

Ralph
03-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Looks terrific to me for it's intended market. Bet it works good also.

tumbler
03-16-2016, 01:45 PM

Yes and there are already multiple threads on this particular topic, especially one called "Campag 2017 rumors where Potenza et al are being discussed to death.

This is still a hangout for discussing bikes, right?

The other thread is 10 pages long so it's possible that some of us didn't follow everything in there. I think an entirely new group from one of the Big 3 merits its own thread. There will always be some redundancies. If you're not interested in a particular thread because you already discussed that topic, just ignore it.

soulspinner
03-16-2016, 01:46 PM
Yeahhh i think I will just stay with Chorus.

pjm
03-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Sounds more like a Bridgestone tire.

AngryScientist
03-16-2016, 01:48 PM
i like it. i know some folks here always buy the top of the line, and for campy that's record or dura ace or sram red for their bikes, but i've had very good luck with lower end campy gear, including some Mirage shifters that i've still got in service. i've got high hopes it will work well, and i'm glad they threw some silver stuff in there!

R3awak3n
03-16-2016, 01:51 PM
I am with Angry... Sure it doesn't look as nice as super record but I do not see anything wrong with it. I actually kinda like it in black (not feeling the silver on this one, at least not on the RD, maybe its the shape... would love to the see the 4 arm crank in silver though)

ceolwulf
03-16-2016, 02:13 PM
Yes cheap Campy has definitely served me well. Not quite sold on the looks yet but it's not worse than Ultegra at least, to my eye.

OtayBW
03-16-2016, 02:53 PM
... i sold my campy stuff and settled on sram, happily so.I hear ya. I have some friends who have been really pleased with the sram customer service and returns policy.

velomonkey
03-16-2016, 03:01 PM
From the Velonews review
"a fairly long throw on the paddle behind the brake lever, seemingly longer than that on Chorus — a significant drawback for the small-handed."

Aren't the small-handed punished and ridiculed enough.

r_mutt
03-16-2016, 03:59 PM
i like the 4 arm crank.

and Pot was right- Campag was first with 11 speeds.

:cool:

oldpotatoe
03-16-2016, 04:06 PM
i like the 4 arm crank.

and Pot was right- Campag was first with 11 speeds.

:cool:

And just for the record, first with 9s(1997) and 10s(2000) as well.

peanutgallery
03-16-2016, 04:23 PM
I've had an itch since the mid 90s too. Doc said I should consider other options :)

Speaking from experience, the 4 arm crank doesn't seem to photograph all that well. I find it stunning in person.

Scratches that Mavic Starfish itch that exists from the long long ago.

William
03-16-2016, 05:05 PM
From the Velonews review
"a fairly long throw on the paddle behind the brake lever, seemingly longer than that on Chorus — a significant drawback for the small-handed."

I thought everyone who rode Campy was small-handed? :p

:)
William

fuzzalow
03-16-2016, 05:22 PM

"And he referred to my hands as if they’re small, something else may be small. I guarantee to you there’s no problem, I guarantee!” - djt

If intended for the OEM market, what's wrong with that? Campagnolo is gonna try something, better they give it a try than sit on their hands, right? All the underlying technology is the same so it'll work the same across Campagnolo's component model range. This is a long way from Valentino we got as entry-level/OEM Campagnolo stuff from long ago.

dpk501
03-16-2016, 05:40 PM

It's almost like feeling sorry for 4 arm star fish...

Big Dan
03-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Rattlecan paintjob for the chainrings?
This is the end....

sg8357
03-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Potenza will be fine when setup like the average campy group.
Campy doesn't expect you to buy the Pot shifters, you buy Chorus.
A Sugino 901 crank look good and you get to spec your own rings.

Elefantino
03-16-2016, 10:52 PM
Campy is like Guinness.

Dry Irish stout isn't for everyone. Neither is hot Italian componentry. That's why they make Shimano. And SRAM.

And Budweiser. :eek:

ofcounsel
03-16-2016, 11:06 PM
I like the 4 arm crank. Not so keen on the chainring aesthetics, but I like the crank arms. Kudos to Campy for making the effort.

ultraman6970
03-17-2016, 12:11 AM
My only "but" about those 4 arm cranksets is that I have not seen anybody selling those chainrings yet (havent look too much either)

Hmm... they are available but the darn price..

cloudguy
03-17-2016, 12:33 AM
From the Velonews review

Trump wouldn't ride that "EYE"TALIAN junk anyway.

ctam
03-17-2016, 01:16 AM
I think it looks pretty good. But I think it would look better if it was all silver instead of two tone.

Louis
03-17-2016, 01:44 AM

Shiva is not pleased.

http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/images/shiva-shakti.jpg

soulspinner
03-17-2016, 05:10 AM

:)
William

Just compared to you big boy...:beer:

soulspinner
03-17-2016, 05:14 AM
Rattlecan paintjob for the chainrings?
This is the end....

Have had 8,10,now 11 Chorus and Record user, but gotta agree the finish on the rings is not Campy like.

El Chaba
03-17-2016, 05:59 AM
Dear Campagnolo,
I have been a huge fan and a great customer for many years.......but your recent component offerings have become ugly. I understand that from an aesthetic standpoint some of your competition has set the bar low-SRAM for example- but I expect much more from you. Thank you for your consideration and I hope that your next offerings don't receive their styling from the business end of the ugly stick.

sandyrs
03-17-2016, 06:14 AM
I can't wait to try this group and probably put many satisfied miles on it while everyone is wringing their hands over the shade of the ano on the chainrings.

These derailleurs, with the hydro mechanical shifters and cranks that accommodate cx-appropriate chainrings, would make a great cx setup.

merckx
03-17-2016, 06:18 AM
The fact that a 57mm reach brakeset was not included in this group leads me to believe that Campag is making a wholesale move to disc.

MattTuck
03-17-2016, 06:42 AM
Shiva is not pleased.

http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/images/shiva-shakti.jpg

haha, ok. I make an exception for deities.

thirdgenbird
03-17-2016, 06:49 AM
The fact that a 57mm reach brakeset was not included in this group leads me to believe that Campag is making a wholesale move to disc.

To be fair, how many sram and shimano groups have a 57mm reach brake? I am interested to see the silver direct mount brakes. If they fit a 28-30, the group would tempt me for a future build. 57mm reach campy brakes would as well however. If anything, the offering from VO should look pretty good with this group.

It sounds like campy isn't considering a cable disc at this time, but this would be a good landing spot for one if they did. A silver hydro group would be cool too.

ultraman6970
03-17-2016, 06:55 AM
Do you think they could even bother with an email like that?? they never did before... less now. IMO the only way for them to get considerations of emails like that is if somebody else buys the company and have a better business approach.

Marketing in campagnolo is so rudimentary IMO, even miche that was even worse had to change a few years ago. As a result campagnolo have been trying to hit the jackpot blindfolded, and as usual putting in the market stuff that nobody had been even asking. They had aluminum groups already... but no, they added another one with the shape of chorus and the veloce functionality?? why?

For example dump athena 11... design a record C UT crankset, silver 11 dump it all gears shifters and with a long cage rd, ratchet FD and everybody happy putting this in their old rides. Keep chorus as was in 2014 (everybody happy), keep r and s/r, keep veloce and done.

Dear Campagnolo,
I have been a huge fan and a great customer for many years.......but your recent component offerings have become ugly. I understand that from an aesthetic standpoint some of your competition has set the bar low-SRAM for example- but I expect much more from you. Thank you for your consideration and I hope that your next offerings don't receive their styling from the business end of the ugly stick.

thirdgenbird
03-17-2016, 07:12 AM
Don't forget that this place generally represents a small segment in the market. i know plenty of people that are all about modern frames and groups. Even if this is functionally identical to Athena, I bet most of the market will pick the newer looking group. A lot of the market also doesn't care about dumping gears, if they did, SRAM and shimano wouldn't sell. I'm also guessing the bulk of the market won't care much about UT vs PT. I avoided power torque, but only because I didn't want more tools. Now that PT has a self extractor, I don't see what the gripe is. whst is the downside when compared to SRAM or shimano?

oldpotatoe
03-17-2016, 07:54 AM

Campagnolo hasn't had a mid or long reach brake set for over 30 years, when cars still had drum brakes. Not doing them for that teeny segment of a overwhelmingly US market now doesn't mean really anything.,

Remember Campagnolo's main market is Europe, even Japan is bigger than the US. For them to make a double group, with any BCD crankset and mid cage/11-32 sounds like are responding. There is always a percentage of people that would not like a SR esque group for $500 with brakes like disc/caliper/long reach that weighed 500 grams and lasted forever.

Like Rolex isn't like Seiko or Timex, Campagnolo isn't like shimano/sram. Different philosophies, different ideas of stuff. They don't make fishing reels either or engine blocks.

milkbaby
03-17-2016, 08:03 AM
I thought Campy positioned Athena as comparable to Ultegra. Why didn't they introduce a lower priced group to serve as their 105 comparable group?

Kinda sad because I bought an Athena gruppo with the old power torque crankset. The new self extracting design sounds like a nice evolution and easier to service.

oldpotatoe
03-17-2016, 08:13 AM
I thought Campy positioned Athena as comparable to Ultegra. Why didn't they introduce a lower priced group to serve as their 105 comparable group?

Kinda sad because I bought an Athena gruppo with the old power torque crankset. The new self extracting design sounds like a nice evolution and easier to service.

Veloce and according to a gent at Campag NA, it isn't going anywhere. But like I've mentioned more than once, Ducati doesn't have scooters and Rolex doesn't do an electronic watch.

thirdgenbird
03-17-2016, 08:26 AM
Veloce and according to a gent at Campag NA, it isn't going anywhere. But like I've mentioned more than once, Ducati doesn't have scooters and Rolex doesn't do an electronic watch.

This makes me happy. I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving veloce as the lone "classic" option. It's a niche market and veloce could fill it without any competition.

I would love to see them give it athena's silver shift lever and the new extractor while retaining the 5 arm look. The non-series silver skeleton brakes would be nice too. If they did these things, it would fill the Athena void pretty nicely. It's short one sprocket, but I guessing that wouldn't be a deal breaker for someone wanting a classic styled group.

dana_e
03-17-2016, 08:38 AM
with alu instead of plastic bits, it is close

Campy had to answer the 105 group, which has the modern tall front mech, the four arm crank, 11 speed

Chorus is the group to buy

milkbaby
03-17-2016, 01:18 PM
Less than a quarter of the articles I looked up online said that Potenza was replacing Athena, so this announcement was confusing to me. It seemed to me that they were slotting in another gruppo inbetween Veloce and Chorus.

Personally, I really like the silver polished Athena alloy gruppo. But I guess Campy thinks they need to roll with the marketplace and Potenza is somehow their answer?

Maybe everybody else like an ugly four arm spider on their cranks but not me. It seems like the only nice changes are the self-extractor on the crankarm and the longer lever on the FD for better leverage on front shifts.

aaron 1804
03-17-2016, 03:03 PM
I like it. Silver is nice.

Andy_K
03-17-2016, 03:45 PM

What do you mean?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7c/Gumby_sm.png

Robbos
03-17-2016, 04:20 PM
I do like the new Potenza triple though.

Tickdoc
03-17-2016, 05:01 PM
I do not like it.

CampyorBust
03-17-2016, 05:22 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/Potenza_zpsc1cdhynf.jpg

Andy_K
03-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Personally, I really like the silver polished Athena alloy gruppo. But I guess Campy thinks they need to roll with the marketplace and Potenza is somehow their answer?

They're saying it's like "Ultegra but with a little bit more soul." I guess a designer somewhere along the way interpreted that to mean it should look like Ultegra but a little bit uglier.

I panicked and bought a Silver Athena groupset last night while I still could.

Tickdoc
03-17-2016, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=Andy_K;1938504

I panicked and bought a Silver Athena groupset last night while I still could.[/QUOTE]

Smart you are.

mcteague
03-18-2016, 06:18 AM

Well, not at the moment.

http://www.ducatiusa.com/history/editorials/the_motoscooter_brio_project/index.do

Tim

oldpotatoe
03-18-2016, 06:31 AM
Well, not at the moment.

http://www.ducatiusa.com/history/editorials/the_motoscooter_brio_project/index.do

Tim

Yup and there is this. It's a Bianchi

FlashUNC
03-18-2016, 06:37 AM
The reality is Potenza isn't for us. Its to sell by the container-full at OEM.

If its a hit with the buyers at the big bike makers, that's all that really matters.

The bulk of us here will either want our retro fetish gear in Athena, or join the rest of the civilized world at Chorus and above.

gfk_velo
03-18-2016, 06:38 AM
From the Velonews review

Maybe instead of saying "seemingly", they'd like to actually measure it, because it's EXACTLY THE SAME ... lazy journalism, looking for something to say.

oldpotatoe
03-18-2016, 06:41 AM
Maybe instead of saying "seemingly", they'd like to actually measure it, because it's EXACTLY THE SAME ... lazy journalism, looking for something to say.

Velonews has had an 'interesting' relationship with Campagnolo..by not measuring something, like this, they sometimes lose some AD $ for a while. For a mag that prides themselves on tech stuff, yup, they ought to get the calipers out.

soulspinner
03-18-2016, 07:40 AM
the reality is potenza isn't for us. Its to sell by the container-full at oem.

If its a hit with the buyers at the big bike makers, that's all that really matters.

The bulk of us here will either want our retro fetish gear in athena, or join the rest of the civilized world at chorus and above.

this

dana_e
03-18-2016, 09:09 AM
the price is what you can get it for

not MSRP

Alan
05-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Price is $682 and looks to be available per their web site. It will be interesting to see how this works for Campy and how good the group functions. I am interested but will wait a bit to see how others do with this group.

Alan

oldpotatoe
05-15-2016, 03:49 PM
Price is $682 and looks to be available per their web site. It will be interesting to see how this works for Campy and how good the group functions. I am interested but will wait a bit to see how others do with this group.

Alan

It's really just relabeled Athena.

bfd
05-15-2016, 07:15 PM

Is the potenza the only group that offers a mid-cage rear derailleur? Does Campy still offer a long cage rear der?

Finally, does Campy have any plans to offer a nice carbon Chorus or Record mid-cage rear derailleur?

Thanks!

rustychisel
05-15-2016, 07:25 PM

Riddle me this.

Is Potenza the groupset you'd like to have tattooed on your arm?

oldpotatoe
05-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Is the potenza the only group that offers a mid-cage rear derailleur? Does Campy still offer a long cage rear der?

Finally, does Campy have any plans to offer a nice carbon Chorus or Record mid-cage rear derailleur?

Thanks!

Yes and yes, Athena and Veloce triple(11s and 10s). No. Racing is the focus for Chorus/Record/SR and 29 biggest cog. But use a Athena or Potenza mid cage rear Der.

oldpotatoe
05-15-2016, 07:32 PM
Riddle me this.

Is Potenza the groupset you'd like to have tattooed on your arm?

?? Riddle indeed. I like Potenza, the place it occupies and how it's a competitor for 6800.

rustychisel
05-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Fair enough. As you know, it was a hypothetical question for the aesthete rather than the engineer. :hello:

Black Dog
05-15-2016, 07:53 PM
People should not get so upset about the aesthetics of Campy's latest offerings, while at the same time complaining that Campy is not keeping up with Shimano. Shimano has been ugly since 7800 really went bad with 9000 and Campy has caught up more or less in one leap. Well, I would say less since I can still find some redeeming aesthetic value to the latest generation of campy. Even their ugly is nice to look at. :cool:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/m444uk/IMG_1279.jpg

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/2013-Shimano-Dura-Ace-RD-9000-rear-derailleur01.jpg

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Campy-Super-Record-Crank.jpg

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/immagini/2000_z_rear-der-super-record-group-2015.png

dsillito
05-15-2016, 09:40 PM
It's almost like feeling sorry for 4 arm star fish...

Likely the day after we decide the four-arm is acceptable, they'll introduce the three-arm. Because it's new. Therefore...better......(for profits, at least).

stephenmarklay
05-15-2016, 09:52 PM
People should not get so upset about the aesthetics of Campy's latest offerings, while at the same time complaining that Campy is not keeping up with Shimano. Shimano has been ugly since 7800 really went bad with 9000 and Campy has caught up more or less in one leap. Well, I would say less since I can still find some redeeming aesthetic value to the latest generation of campy. Even their ugly is nice to look at. :cool:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/m444uk/IMG_1279.jpg

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/2013-Shimano-Dura-Ace-RD-9000-rear-derailleur01.jpg

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Campy-Super-Record-Crank.jpg

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/immagini/2000_z_rear-der-super-record-group-2015.png

That is funny as the DA stuff is the only one I like. I like campy athena a lot however but Shimano shifts so good. I think 105 and ultegra look UgLy but work great.

I don’t need carbon groups and the new Potenza looks entry level to me.

R3awak3n
05-15-2016, 10:14 PM
I think the potenza looks fine. I kinda of like it in silver (the crankset specially). It is too bad that the RD and shifters have some black in it instead of all silver.

http://pedalmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/POsilverGuarnitura_3quarti-2017.jpg

http://pedalmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/POsilverErgopower_3quarti-2017.jpg

http://pedalmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/POsilverCambioCorto-2017.jpg

http://pedalmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/POsilverDeragliaFront-2017.jpg

stephenmarklay
05-15-2016, 10:22 PM
What makes it better than Athena?

Black Dog
05-15-2016, 10:27 PM
What makes it better than Athena?

It has the new Rd and fd geometry and 4 arm universal cranks.

stephenmarklay
05-15-2016, 10:32 PM
It has the new Rd and fd geometry and 4 arm universal cranks.

Gotcha. Hmm I may have to get the Athena. Athena has the best looking cranks.

R3awak3n
05-15-2016, 10:47 PM
not better than athena, unless you prefer the look of it.

Athena is better looking overall. Shifters are all silver, crankset is by far prettier and RD is nicer looking too.

It is becoming harder to find and I would pick it up now if you want it.

Nice thing about Potenza though is the 32T cassette but people have been using athena with 32T shimano cassette for a long time with no problems.

But its nice to know that there will still be a silver option

rustychisel
05-15-2016, 11:06 PM
I think the potenza looks fine.

http://pedalmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/POsilverGuarnitura_3quarti-2017.jpg

2 words for ya. "Suntour Edge".

R3awak3n
05-15-2016, 11:08 PM
this thing:

http://velobase.com/CompImages/Crankset/6D924CC5-9181-4B55-85F1-0499A9E11119.jpeg

that looks nothing like it

bfd
05-15-2016, 11:24 PM
Likely the day after we decide the four-arm is acceptable, they'll introduce the three-arm. Because it's new. Therefore...better......(for profits, at least).

You mean like this...

https://janheine.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/rhcrankrl.jpg

Btw, it's available now for like $435 or something, but supposedly it is lighter than the 1st gen Campy Record carbon cranks (square taper)! Good Luck!

bfd
05-15-2016, 11:30 PM
No. Racing is the focus for Chorus/Record/SR and 29 biggest cog.

So 2014 and earlier Record/Chorus mid cage rear ders were for wimps?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51iVqvW348L._SY355_.jpg

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360030037/campy-record-rear-mech-long.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

ultraman6970
05-16-2016, 12:17 AM
yes :P

bfd
05-16-2016, 12:20 AM
You mean like this...

https://janheine.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/rhcrankrl.jpg

Btw, it's available now for like $435 or something, but supposedly it is lighter than the 1st gen Campy Record carbon cranks (square taper)! Good Luck!

Wait, you wanted Campy? How about this one:

http://velobase.com/CompImages/Crankset/56276D23-785B-45D8-8DC9-4FB0FC908F7B.jpeg

oldpotatoe
05-16-2016, 06:17 AM

Both companies will sell fewer cranksets and more chainrings..since anything from 34 to 55 can fit on one crank. I made great $ in the shop when somebody came in and said, 'they wanted to go compact'..no mas.

oldpotatoe
05-16-2016, 06:23 AM
So 2014 and earlier Record/Chorus mid cage rear ders were for wimps?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51iVqvW348L._SY355_.jpg

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360030037/campy-record-rear-mech-long.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

That was for their 13-29 when they said you needed that for the 29t cog(even if you didn't). MY point is that I really doubt Campag will NOW make mid cage rear ders in the top 3 groups, nor big cogsets, like 11/12-32 in those ranges. Like today where this big cog rear, double or single front is now the (USA) rage.

BTW-Potenza is a double crank, with 11-32 option, Athena is going to be the triple option..

Ralph
05-16-2016, 07:10 AM
I like the self extracting crank arm bolts. Could save this home mechanic about $100 or so of removal tools for the PT type cranks. Would like PT design as good as Ultra Tq design with those.

bfd
05-16-2016, 03:24 PM
That was for their 13-29 when they said you needed that for the 29t cog(even if you didn't). MY point is that I really doubt Campag will NOW make mid cage rear ders in the top 3 groups, nor big cogsets, like 11/12-32 in those ranges. Like today where this big cog rear, double or single front is now the (USA) rage.

BTW-Potenza is a double crank, with 11-32 option, Athena is going to be the triple option..

Thanks. It is funny how back in the late 90s/early 2000s, when Campy first came out with a 13-29 cassette (10spd?), it said the short cage rear der would work fine. Then later it came out with the mid-cage rear der. So, I guess now they're saying 13-29 11 spd works fine with short cage rear der?!

Too bad as I really liked the look of the new carbon rear ders, especially the Chorus. The Potenza is metal and definitely not as attractive.

Btw, do you know of any issues with Campy Proton clincher wheelsets? I can get a NOS pair that supposedly works with 9/10/11 Campy cassette, same oversized axles as recent hubs. These are like from early 2000.

Thanks!

Mark McM
05-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks. It is funny how back in the late 90s/early 2000s, when Campy first came out with a 13-29 cassette (10spd?), it said the short cage rear der would work fine. Then later it came out with the mid-cage rear der. So, I guess now they're saying 13-29 11 spd works fine with short cage rear der?!

A short cage derailleur does work fine with a 13-29 cassette ... and a standard crank (with it's 14 tooth spread). The short cage derailleur gets stretched towards its limits when you use a compact crank (which has a 16 tooth spread), so a medium cage derailleur is often recommended for this combination.

Note: In my experience a short cage derailleur can still work with a 13-29 10spd cassette and compact crank, but only just, and a 12-29 11spd cassette and compact crank may push it over the limit. A short cage derailleur with a 12-29 cassette a standard crank should be okay.

oldpotatoe
05-16-2016, 04:21 PM

Too bad as I really liked the look of the new carbon rear ders, especially the Chorus. The Potenza is metal and definitely not as attractive.

Btw, do you know of any issues with Campy Proton clincher wheelsets? I can get a NOS pair that supposedly works with 9/10/11 Campy cassette, same oversized axles as recent hubs. These are like from early 2000.

Thanks!

13-29/12-30 always worked with short cage rear der.

Protons-1 cross right rear or 2 cross? 1 cross subject of small 'r' recall to relace to 2 cross. If 2 cross, OK.

For right above, compact and 12-29/11s just fine with a standard Chorus/Record/SR rear Der.

GuyGadois
05-16-2016, 06:07 PM
You mean like this...

Or more like this...

http://velobase.com/CompImages/Crankset/F9232C75-6CEB-426E-BD39-3AB672FB4B3B.jpeg
Except this one is better looking

Germany_chris
05-17-2016, 05:55 AM
While I prefer the silver I think the black arms and silver chain rings would look better

ERK55
05-17-2016, 06:38 AM
Or more like this...

http://velobase.com/CompImages/Crankset/F9232C75-6CEB-426E-BD39-3AB672FB4B3B.jpeg
Except this one is better looking

Now that is beautiful.