PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Tire Choices

ChrisK
06-13-2006, 10:43 AM
After not riding tubulars for about 25 years I've come into possession of a nice set of tubular wheels and thought it might be fun to try them. But I've totally lost track of what tires are out there. Of course I want a pair of Dugasts, but they cost $125 each and my budget is closer to $25 each (well maybe a bit more). So can anyone advise me on which wider and more durable tubulars are worth considering.

Zard
06-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Anything Veloflex. I ride the "Carbons" an all black model. They are about $80 a piece at WorldClassCycles.com.

MartyE
06-13-2006, 11:49 AM
The new Continental Sprinter is a good all rounder (no pun intended).
the latest incarnation has black rim tape (yuck) and no tread to speak of.

That said the Veloflex gets rave reviews round here.

Marty

Jack Brunk
06-13-2006, 11:56 AM
I totally agree with Zard on the Veloflex's but the Vittoria Corsa EVO CX is an excellent tire also. They retail for $90 but you can find them on ebay for $50-60.

Jack

djg
06-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't know how much higher you're willing to go, but the things that routinely cost under 25 bucks are budget vulcanized tires that I'd only use for spares. Moving up just a bit, the conti sprinter is a popular good quality budget model, but one that goes for more than 25 bucks--more like in the mid- to upper 30s. Conti competitions can be found in a size 25, but they cost more.

At a little wider, there's the very nice Veloflex Roubaix, size 24, which has a "retail" price of ... well, it's hard to tell exactly, but kind of a lot--maybe 80 bucks or so. It's worth trying danny@critusa for good veloflex prices and an easy person to deal with. He'll be substantially cheaper than the usual mail-order sites. It's also worth looking at probikekit.com.

Vittoria makes a Pave evo, also in a 24. Again, "list" price is high, but you can look around and find substantial discounts.

Maybe too tall or someone has a review on the challenge tubbies. They have a size 27 available that doesn't cost a fortune, but does cost more than 25 bucks.

Another site worth a look for sale prices is biketiresdirect. And there's always e-bay.

I have veloflex on my main bike--a criterium in the front and a roubaix in the back these days. These are, IMO, very good tires. I haven't tried the dugast, but the veloflex are my contemporary favorites. I have the vittoria paves on my fixie and I think they're also pretty good--maybe a little beefier and a little less supple, but good quality tires and a good ride.

djg
06-13-2006, 12:09 PM
I totally agree with Zard on the Veloflex's but the Vittoria Corsa EVO CX is an excellent tire also. They retail for $90 but you can find them on ebay for $50-60.

Jack

upper forties and no shipping from probikekit these days (some colors are on sale for even less, but you have to click on the link to see the sale price)

Too Tall
06-13-2006, 12:56 PM
If you are getting back into it buy something nice not junk first off...but that's why you are asking. Conti. sprinters are darn great all around treads and wear like iron however for your first set...just coming back get something nicer like Veloflex or the CXs. Bruddah, you made the right choice welcome back.

Can I hear a hazzah from the audience?

Big Dan
06-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Continental Sprinters are nice. I also had good luck with Tufo's......at least they are straight......... :D

Zard
06-13-2006, 01:35 PM
If you are getting back into it buy something nice not junk first off...but that's why you are asking. Conti. sprinters are darn great all around treads and wear like iron however for your first set...just coming back get something nicer like Veloflex or the CXs. Bruddah, you made the right choice welcome back.

Can I hear a hazzah from the audience?

TT

this one is for you:

HAZZAH

LOTUS
06-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Dugast strada silk.amazing grip in the corners .I haven't found their limit yet. They also do a beautiful job of smoothing out rough surfaces I have mine mounted on zipp404's and can cruise all day long on this setup.I previously had tufo elite's.They are very durable but ride horribly compared to Dugast .Zero flats on the Dugast's in two years.

Jack Brunk
06-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Used to use Dugasts but way too many flats. I loved how they rode but cost per flat was way too high. No flats with either the Veloflex carbons and Vittoria CX's and the ride quality is 95% of the Dugasts.

Jack.

MartyE
06-13-2006, 04:18 PM
I've got a pair of Tufo Elite roads, yes they go on straight, no they
don't go buhbump when I ride, but geez they are dead feeling.
Might as well ride clinchers cause you sure don't get that tubular feel.

marty

saab2000
06-13-2006, 04:44 PM
I use Veloflex Criteriums.

BigDaddySmooth
06-14-2006, 07:18 AM
I use Veloflex Criteriums.

Second the Velocrits...simply amazing. If you want to keep the price under say, $40, Conti sprinters are hard to beat.

Good on ya mate, for coming back to the dark side. Steel, tubbies, Campy...life is good :D

stevep
06-14-2006, 07:36 AM
get nice tires. life is too short to ride cheap sew ups.
better to ride clinchers inflated to 70psi.

MartyE
06-14-2006, 02:43 PM
can anyone comment on the difference between the Corsa CX and the
Evo KX tires?

Any comments on Deda Tre Olympics?

I've looked for Gommitalia Espresso's but no one seems to have any
(or I just haven't found them yet) anyone know of a shop that might have
them and ships?

thanks,
Marty

terrytnt
06-14-2006, 04:17 PM
My recommendation overwhelming goes to the Vittoria Corsa CX. I been riding this tire for years and really love it. Usually get thousands of miles and minimal to no ^#KJFLSJR (refuse to say the words).

GO CORSA CX!!!

Mud
06-14-2006, 05:42 PM
New tires and 4 flats on one ride (wife and I) on the bike path on the Santa Ana channel, I would not even try their tubies and we carry them in the shop. I use the Tufo 215 gram tires. I run just over 100# and they ride OK but not as well as the Conti Sprinters I have on my other set of wheels. The Tufos are better than any of the clinchers I have ridden and seem to be glass proof which is a NJ requirement. :banana:

djg
06-14-2006, 07:10 PM
can anyone comment on the difference between the Corsa CX and the
Evo KX tires?

Marty

I think that the new "evo" version has kevlar mixed in the tread compound and some sort of anti-puncture belt under the tread that wasn't there in the old cx tire, but I'm not sure of the details. From the web site, it looks like the only difference between the evo cx and the evo kx is a slight difference in the tread:

http://www.vittoria.com/index3.asp?lingua=en

terrytnt
06-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Yes, I only noticed a difference in the tread design but I'm sure there's another difference.

As far as durability... you'll have to weigh the experience from other including myself. Personally after 20 years of riding on tubies, I give extremely high marks for the Corsa CX.

Good riding... glad to support another tubie!!!

sspielman
06-15-2006, 06:15 AM
Veloflex is the king of tubulars. There is no reason to mess with anything else. The entire remainder of the discussion about other brands consists of the rationalisation of their shortcomings.

Too Tall
06-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Sspielman...turn your head for a sec. ok?

MartyE - I recall puchase from ItaliTechno
http://www.ital-tecno.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=36

MartyE
06-15-2006, 09:23 AM
TT,

thanks for that,
Italtechno has Freccia and Platinum but not Espresso everyone
seems to be out of those. . .

Sspielman, you can turn your head back now.

marty