PDA

View Full Version : OT: BMW 135i

earlfoss
03-16-2016, 07:05 AM
I am very strongly considering getting a used 135i in the next few weeks. I have test driven 2 already and I really like these cars a lot.

I thought I'd check with people here on the off chance anyone who has owned one would be able to share his/her impressions and advice with me.

Thanks!

-Earl

Gummee
03-16-2016, 07:07 AM
German cars need more TLC on a more regular basis than US or Japanese cars. Be ready for that (aka budget $$).

I haven't owned that particular BMW, but I have had a 3-series... Fun cars to drive. I miss mine. The farther past 4k you revved it, the happier the engine seemed.

I'm probably going to try and find another 3-series soon. Maybe a manual wagon (cyclist ya know!) this time

M

earlfoss
03-16-2016, 07:09 AM
My current vehicle is a 2003 BMW 325xi wagon, so I'm pretty familiar with the BMW DIY scene. I have been able to squeeze 171,000 mi out of it and it's still running like a champ! I would say that if you're considering getting a wagon, go for it! The wagons in manual are pretty rare but they're out there.

FlashUNC
03-16-2016, 07:28 AM
Only test drove a couple 128s and 135s before I ended up getting my GTI.

Biggest downsides I saw were a backseat designed for people without legs, and a small-ish trunk space -- a big reason I went with the hot hatch instead.

But it was a joy to drive, and it ain't like those naturally aspirated inline 6s are being cranked out of BMW anymore...

pjm
03-16-2016, 07:33 AM
That twin turbo engine has had many issues, mainly the high pressure fuel pump. I think BMW has extended the warranty on that part.

Tickdoc
03-16-2016, 07:41 AM
Buy a warranty and drive the piss out of it is my advice.

It's a cute little package, and looks like tons of fun.

I had a 330i at one time and I still miss it.

grawk
03-16-2016, 07:42 AM
I love the 135i. I just wish they made a 135d convertible :)

velomonkey
03-16-2016, 07:45 AM
I got a 530 - the 35 engine is basically the 30 engine with turbo. Not sure I would go with a turbo BMW engine. As others have said they are already finicky.

BMWs best engine, in my view, was the inline six 30 engine. Mine gets 32 mpg on the highway and has plenty of pep. The 2011 528 was/is actually a 30 engine - and then in 2012 they went to the 2.8.

The 1 series body is way too small for me, but that's me.

summilux
03-16-2016, 07:49 AM
+1 on those who say be prepared for high maintenance and repair costs. BMWs are fun to drive but the fun factor does come at a cost. CPO is great to limit your costs.

Tim Porter
03-16-2016, 07:50 AM
We have a 2008 135i. Reliable so far (jinxing myself) and it's a little beast of a car.

AngryScientist
03-16-2016, 07:51 AM
what year are we talking about?

when i was looking critically, i test drove a bunch of cars and found that for a marginal cost increase, the 3 series was head and shoulders a better refined car with the same engine as the 1.

AngryScientist
03-16-2016, 07:52 AM
CPO is great to limit your costs.

you also get much smarter warranty with CPO than new...

as for maintenance costs, i've got the NA inline-6 and do everything myself, and it's really no different than any other car. synthetic oil and fluids, but nothing crazy...

buldogge
03-16-2016, 07:57 AM
The BMWs (in the USA) are all turbocharged now, ignoring the electric motors...

The 28 is a 2.0l L4l turbo.

The 35 is (was) a 3.0l L6 twin-turbo.

The 40 is the same 3.0l L6 twin-turbo

The 50 is a 4.4l V8 twin-turbo

The 60 is a 6.0l V8 twin-turbo

etc.

-Mark in St. Louis

I got a 530 - the 35 engine is basically the 30 engine with turbo. Not sure I would go with a turbo BMW engine. As others have said they are already finicky.

BMWs best engine, in my view, was the inline six 30 engine. Mine gets 32 mpg on the highway and has plenty of pep. The 2011 528 was/is actually a 30 engine - and then in 2012 they went to the 2.8.

The 1 series body is way too small for me, but that's me.

Schmed
03-16-2016, 08:01 AM
I had a 2010 335i MSport and that engine is such a sweet (and willing accomplice). In 1-series, it'd be a blast.

I've had very very few issues with the 8 BMWs we've had over the years. Take care of it, address little problems before they become big, and do a PPI at a reputable shop before you buy.

pjm
03-16-2016, 08:02 AM

The 1 series body is way too small for me, but that's me. No such thing as a 2.8. The 330 and 328 E90s have naturally aspirated 3 liter inline 6's. The 328 has a different intake design and makes a bit less power than the 330. The 335 (and 135) have the twin turbo inline six making significantly more hp and torque.

david
03-16-2016, 08:52 AM
I've had a 135i and now drive a 128i.
Actually prefer the 128i.
Both are fun.
Check out 1addicts.com forum for good info.

PaMtbRider
03-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Plus one to what others have said. Our 2008 328xi is a pleasure to drive but maintenance costs are significantly higher. We only have 54k on it now so hopefully get another 10 years 100,000 miles out of it. If I had to replace it today I would look real hard at Subaru.

djg21
03-16-2016, 10:35 AM
I am very strongly considering getting a used 135i in the next few weeks. I have test driven 2 already and I really like these cars a lot.

I thought I'd check with people here on the off chance anyone who has owned one would be able to share his/her impressions and advice with me.

Thanks!

-Earl

I had a 335xi with the same power plant. Added a warm-air intake and a Juicebox 4 piggyback chip and the car was awesome and really fun to drive. The 135i is smaller and lighter, and without the x-drive, will be quicker. Maintenance can be expensive on a BMW. if I were to buy another, I would look for a CPO or one with some original warranty left. I'd also pay to extend the warranty.

stackie
03-16-2016, 10:57 AM
I have a 135i convertible.

Not a BMW guy. I just wanted a small convertible that fit in my garage with space for bikes and coffee roaster behind it. The BMW 1 series for that bill and was best looking of the contenders.

I got the 135 for the 7 speed dual clutch transmission. Supposed to shift faster than just about any mortal. Also gets better mileage.

All that said, it's a fine car. More than I need.

Cons
1. Expensive to service.
2. Run flats suck. I put hankook ventus tires on and carry a portable inflator and slime.
3. Engine sometimes hesitates or stutters. Dealer reprogrammed once under warranty. Took two days! Better for a while but now back to doing it. Off warranty now.
4. Rims are soft. I had constant leaking from one and finally just bought replacement rims as some other issues with rims from tire shop scratching during tire change and then repainting.
5. Depreciates fast.
6. Mileage pretty poor. I average 19.2. But I drive with top down 99% and too many short trips.
7. Very small back seat. I'm 6'3" and even kids can't sit behind me. Can't imagine trying to get into back seat with a hard top.

Pros.
1. Depreciates fast. I bought mine used at 18 months with 18k miles for 35k.
Sticker was 52k.
2. Good looking car
3. Plenty fast for spirited driving if you do so.

That's my two cents from a bike guy, not a car guy.

Jon

summilux
03-16-2016, 11:34 AM
as for maintenance costs, i've got the NA inline-6 and do everything myself, and it's really no different than any other car. synthetic oil and fluids, but nothing crazy...

Pelican Parts is your friend. Plugs, filters, oil and brakes are simple to do with a minimum of tools. There's a big DIY community to help you through this.

Discussing BMW fluids is worse than a Campy/Shimano/SRAM debate. LL01? LL04? Penzoil Synthetic vs Penzoil Euro? Is your coolant the right color? Argghhh. Thankfully the dealerships (at least the ones in Canada) sell the fluids at a reasonable price.

summilux
03-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Run flats suck.

Put some non-RFT Contis on there and you are good to go.

stackie
03-16-2016, 11:37 AM
BTW. My mechanic said change oil every 5k vs waiting for car to tell you to change it. It looked pretty bad when I had it changed at the car's recommendation.

Jon

AngryScientist
03-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Pelican Parts is your friend. Plugs, filters, oil and brakes are simple to do with a minimum of tools. There's a big DIY community to help you through this.

Discussing BMW fluids is worse than a Campy/Shimano/SRAM debate. LL01? LL04? Penzoil Synthetic vs Penzoil Euro? Is your coolant the right color? Argghhh. Thankfully the dealerships (at least the ones in Canada) sell the fluids at a reasonable price.

german castrol, all the way!

bfd
03-16-2016, 11:50 AM

For coolant, there's the Valvoline Zerex G48 (BMW/Saab/GM - blue) versus G05 (MB/Ford/Chrysler - goldish) debate. It can get ugly!

Fortunately for me, my BMW is 25 years old and I put in whichever I can get cheaper and change every 2 years! Good Luck!

djg21
03-16-2016, 12:22 PM
Put some non-RFT Contis on there and you are good to go.

The problem is that you can't carry a spare when you need trunk space. But the reality is that you can only drive a run-flat for 50 miles or so in any event. Then in all likelihood, you will have to buy a tire from Tirerack or another internet provider because, depending on where you are, few tire stores stock high-end performance tires. I suppose if you have AAA service, you can do without a spare and just have your car transported via flat-bed. But if you travel a lot, this might not be a practical solution.

AngryScientist
03-16-2016, 12:25 PM
i've got a full sized spare in my trunk. yes it takes up some space, but i used to be on the road a lot and the insurance of knowing i could get home from wherever i was is worth it to me.

buldogge
03-16-2016, 01:11 PM
My '06 530xiT came on runflats AND has a spare! :hello:

However, the wife's "new" '13 X3 has no spare. :help:

-Mark in St. Louis

summilux
03-16-2016, 02:01 PM
I keep two cans of tire sealer/inflater in my trunk.

kitsnob
03-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Just make sure you get the CPO or some sort of EXTENDED warranty for the car
And make GOOD friends with your Service Advisor/manager ... you will
become VERY close friends!

And I'm IN the business .... that's why I am saying GET THE COVERAGE for as long as you can!

Remember:
Buy Japanese ... Lease German!

jamesau
03-16-2016, 02:43 PM
I have a 2007 335 and an 08 335xi; these have the N54 twin turbocharged inline 6 engines. I assume the 135 will have the same N54 engine.

This should make the 135 an engaging car to drive and pretty expensive to maintain. I have a great local dealer and know all the service advisors on a first name basis.

I would get the full service history of the car and consider the following:

My 08 has over 95K miles on it and has required the following engine-related nonroutine service:
High pressure fuel pump replaced
Replace both vanos solenoids
Replaced all injectors
Replaced water pump
Intake valve media blast (these direct-injected engines suffer from coking over time)
Oil filter housing gasket (sounds simple but labor intensive)

My 07 has over 100K miles on it and has required the followed engine related nonroutine service:
High pressure fuel pump replaced twice
Both turbos replaced
Replaced all injectors - twice
Replaced water pump
Intake valve media blast
Oil filter housing gasket

Granted, much of the above was done under warranty. Also, BMWUSA will sometimes absorb the cost of nonroutine out-of-warranty service if they have record of regular dealer service and they see you as a 'loyal' customer.
My wife just ordered another BMW. I'm not sure I'll get another. Of the older cars, the ones with normally aspirated engines tend to be more reliable.

Good luck!

F150
03-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Wife's E90 '06 325i with 129k on the clock. Been a good car, the 3.0 motor is as good as it gets but with age comes the cost. Window regulators notoriously fragile, paid $500 to replace the first at dealer, second one did myself for $80 and 1.5 hrs of my time. Oil filter housing gasket $560. Not. $35 part and 2 hrs of my time (actually quite easy save for e-torx under intake runner). Unfortunately, dropping the subframe to get at oil pan gasket ($1600 quote) and valve cover gasket ($1100 quote) may be beyond the limits of my lower back. Getting ready to do tensioner/belt and mechatronic sleeve/tranny service myself.

+1 on go flats vs RFT, but loss of trunk space is a pain. Recommend getting out of it before 100k unless you have the means to pay someone else good money to do the work or have the ability and tools, access to lift, etc. to do it yourself. The day will come.

djg21
03-16-2016, 05:09 PM
I have a 2007 335 and an 08 335xi; these have the N54 twin turbocharged inline 6 engines. I assume the 135 will have the same N54 engine.

This should make the 135 an engaging car to drive and pretty expensive to maintain. I have a great local dealer and know all the service advisors on a first name basis.

I would get the full service history of the car and consider the following:

My 08 has over 95K miles on it and has required the following engine-related nonroutine service:
High pressure fuel pump replaced
Replaced all injectors
Replaced water pump
Intake valve media blast (these direct-injected engines suffer from coking over time)
Oil filter housing gasket (sounds simple but labor intensive)

My 07 has over 100K miles on it and has required the followed engine related nonroutine service:
High pressure fuel pump replaced twice
Both turbos replaced
Replaced all injectors - twice
Replaced water pump
Intake valve media blast
Oil filter housing gasket

Granted, much of the above was done under warranty. Also, BMWUSA will sometimes absorb the cost of nonroutine out-of-warranty service if they have record of regular dealer service and they see you as a 'loyal' customer.
My wife just ordered another BMW. I'm not sure I'll get another. Of the older cars, the ones with normally aspirated engines tend to be more reliable.

Good luck!

The turbos on my 335xi had to be replaced one month before my extended warranty expired. The cost would have been over $5,000 had the repair not been covered. I had the car repaired at BMW's expense and sold it immediately. I loved that car, but it is not one I'd own after the expiration of the warranty.

axel23
03-16-2016, 05:24 PM
Our 2009 has been awesome. Fast (very fast), comfortable, reliable. The choice was between it and the Z4. The 135i performed at least as well, with remarkable storage space when you lay the rear seats down.
PM if you want more info.