FlashUNC
03-16-2016, 04:28 AM
Answer is pretty obvious no?

They want you using their bolts.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2016, 04:45 AM
Answer is pretty obvious no?

They want you using their bolts.

Yup and no different than shimano. These 6800 bolt set.

El Chaba
03-16-2016, 05:26 AM
The cycling industry HATES standards....

ultraman6970
03-16-2016, 05:28 AM
If you are not anal you can get another brands of campy bolts for a lot less than a single campagnolo bolt cost.

cadence90
03-16-2016, 05:40 AM
.... ..

oldpotatoe
03-16-2016, 05:43 AM
That's what I thought at first, except, as I mentioned, KCNC are making them (at much lower cost than Campa), as are Stronglight. So, it isn't really a Campa-proprietary thing.

Yes, the KCNC are much less $, but I just wanted to use the blue Tiso bolts that I have had laying around for years.

And, it appears that not all Campa spider/chainrings have the 2 different hole sizes, because it seems that other models (maybe non Ultra-Torque?) use standard chainring bolts.

I don't get it.

old patata...when you have the time...some Ciocc pics!

Oh yeh, forgot..right now

Campag carbon arms needed the smaller bolts, and yes Campag made steel ones. Better idea, IMHO.

cadence90
03-16-2016, 06:33 AM
.... ..

dana_e
03-16-2016, 11:09 AM
thus the 2-stop bolt

not sure the hole needed to be smaller, but maybe for strength

gfk_velo
03-16-2016, 12:02 PM
thus the 2-stop bolt

not sure the hole needed to be smaller, but maybe for strength

You are correct.

The CF mounting tabs for the chainrings need a stepped bolt and a smaller drilling for durability / correct load spreading to fit in with the design parameters of the spider. It also works better with the Torx socket, which in itelf works better in an alloy bolt than does an Allen socket.

Could it have been done with a standard bolt? Maybe, I don't know, I wasn't on the design team and so didn't see the FEA that we used to decide but possibly with a different design of spider chairing tab, or a different carbon layup, or by accepting a higher warranty return rate or any one of a lot of other considerations.

They decided that the best way for Campagnolo with all of those considerations, was a stepped bolt ...

There is no doubt, obviously, that Campagnolo would quite like you to use their bolts, too - and why not?

If Campagnolo (or Shimano, or SRAM or MicroShift or Mavic etc ....) make a change to manufacturing tolerances in a part, for instance, they can do it in line with other things that they make that interface with that part - so compatibility is not necessarily lost (though that will sometimes be the case, too), so just like every other industrial concern in the world, they point out that to keep definite compatibility and, within what they consider to be acceptable parameters, trouble-free use, you are best off using their product not some third paty product which may & may not match their manufacturing tolerances or tested parameters.

It's not a case of (bicycle) companies doing things because they "hate standards" (not so in any case), rather that, shockingly to some, they make (bicycle) parts to make a profit ... and they'll make design decisions not juat based on pure engineering but also on considerations of production and materials, materials costs, tooling (existent and what they'll need), plant capitalisation, expected longevity of design, marketing and all of the other thousands of things that contribute to making a manufacturing company a profitable, sustainable entity. If companies generally were happy to standardise everything, we'd have everything from standard size and shape windows in cars to only one size of dial on a wristwatch ...

Mark McM
03-16-2016, 12:32 PM
To add to the above ...

Campagnolo went with the stepped bolt because they do like standards. As noted above, carbon spiders require a smaller bolt for strength/durability purposes. Well, more to the point, they need more material around the bolt hole. If they used the same size bolt hole and enlarged the end of the spider arm, it would increase the size of the smallest chainring that could be used without the chain hitting the spider arms. So for reasons of keeping the same range of chainring sizes, they made the bolt hole smaller.

Further, the went with a stepped bolt because it allowed the bolt to work with the same (standard) chainrings as the non-stepped bolt. The bolts come with the cranks, so by using combination that is sold as complete set (crank spider with smaller bolt holes plus stepped bolts), it allows the same replacement chainrings to be used with both aluminum and carbon cranks (i.e. standard chainrings).

The stepped bolt design is far better for forward/backward compatibility than the alternatives.

oldpotatoe
03-18-2016, 08:51 AM
That's what I thought at first, except, as I mentioned, KCNC are making them (at much lower cost than Campa), as are Stronglight. So, it isn't really a Campa-proprietary thing.

Yes, the KCNC are much less $, but I just wanted to use the blue Tiso bolts that I have had laying around for years.

And, it appears that not all Campa spider/chainrings have the 2 different hole sizes, because it seems that other models (maybe non Ultra-Torque?) use standard chainring bolts.

I don't get it.

old patata...when you have the time...some Ciocc pics!

Kinda dirty and it needs tires but here ya go.

cadence90
03-18-2016, 01:26 PM
.... ..