PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Tape and Tire Reuse

frank_h
03-15-2016, 01:47 PM
I recently picked up an old set of carbon fiber tubulars that had Tufo tape mounted tires.

I pulled these off carefully last night. Most of the tape came off attached to the base tape of the tire, and a few sections it completely separated from both the tire and the rim.

I now plan to clean up any remaining residue and mount my new tires using the Mariposa tape (http://cyclocrossworld.com/product/effetto-mariposa-carogna-tire-tape/).

My question is whether the old tires are salvageable after that removal. I remember hearing that the old Tufo tape was meant as a one-time installation method. If I can get it cleanly off the base tape of the tire, can I add a layer or two of glue and use as a backup? Is there anything specific to look for to ensure the base is healthy enough to do so? Or should I retire these tires?

I lied, one more question. Simple alcohol and elbow grease for the residue removal on carbon?

Thanks!

carpediemracing
03-15-2016, 03:09 PM
A local now-pro, his dad used Contractor's Solvent to clean off the racer's carbon rims (Zipps). I think it's this stuff (http://www.de-solv-it.com/all-products/contractors-solvent/). He bought cases at a time. Spray on, let the stuff drip off (onto cardboard), repeat until clean. The dad glued a gazillion sets of cross and road tubulars - the rider had at least two identical bikes set up with multiple spares. To my knowledge the rider won 5? national titles in cross and crit, so whatever the dad did to glue/mount the tires worked.

I've never used it but the dad was 100% enthusiastic about this stuff. Extremely methodical about bike stuff.

rwsaunders
03-15-2016, 03:46 PM
I've been using Goof Off with good success and I know that folks like Zipp approve it for use on their carbon rims. Soak time with any removal product is the key.

frank_h
03-16-2016, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I decided to try my hand and some elbow grease removal before solvents. Put on some music and used my thumbs to do a friction removal of all that residue. After about two hours I had one rim good as new and pre-stretching one of the new tires.

I'm still not sure about the old tires with tape residue.