PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some gumwall clinchers

skiezo
03-15-2016, 05:35 AM
I am looking to purchase a set of gumwall clinchers for one of my road bikes.
These will be an everyday tire so i'm looking for something that has some puncture protection.
The ones I looked at so far are the veloflex master and the vittoria open corsa SCII both in 25mm.
Any others that will fit the bill as an everyday tire? They will be on a set of HED C2 23mm rims.

idrinkwater
03-15-2016, 05:39 AM
Pasela? Differing opinions abound on these, but some like them.

zank
03-15-2016, 05:45 AM
The new Vittoria Corsa is gumwall in 25 and 28. They look really nice.

El Chaba
03-15-2016, 05:47 AM
Michelin Dynamic Classic. Hard to find, but durable and very inexpensive. They have a decent feel as well...They aren't up to the standard of nice tubulars, but -hey- they aren't nice tubulars....

Ryun
03-15-2016, 05:55 AM
I really like the veloflex master. Seems to hold up a little better than Vittoria corsas against road debris although the 25 measures a bit smaller in my experience

AngryScientist
03-15-2016, 05:56 AM
The new vittoria corsas, the G+ with graphene come in gumwall, and ride really nicely. if they live up to their claims of puncture resistance, they'll prove to be a great all around tire. i've got a set rolling now and really like them. comfortable, fast tire.

stien
03-15-2016, 06:03 AM
Veloflex Masters ride great but offer little cut/puncture protection IME. I still ride some.

Max size you can run? My wife is running Challenge Strada Biancas on her bike. They look ace and ride superbly. Look into wider tires. They don't feel any slower, and you just glide over anything.

skiezo
03-15-2016, 06:39 AM
I have conti's 4 seasons in 25mm on now and they inflate to 26.3mm on HED C2 23mm rims. I could go wider as there is still clearance all the way around.
I am gonna order a set of the new vittoria open corsa G+ graphene in 25mm today.
Thanks for the help.

druptight
03-15-2016, 06:50 AM
Ruffy Tuffys? Some on the 'bay for under $40 a tire:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Panaracer-Rivendell-Ruffy-Tuffy-700x28-Black-Tan-Aramid-/191544890130?hash=item2c98f71312:i:191544890130

Veloo
03-15-2016, 06:52 AM
If you wanna go darker, Conti GP classics.

I have but not ridden yet. They look nice.

thirdgenbird
03-15-2016, 07:02 AM
I've been pleased with clement strada tires so far. The 25 and 28 are available in tan and I find they ride better than their thread count would lead you to believe.

Cicli
03-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Vittoria Corsa Graphene. They are really nice tires.

chiasticon
03-15-2016, 07:28 AM
I've been pleased with clement strada tires so far. The 25 and 28 are available in tan and I find they ride better than their thread count would lead you to believe.I'm interested in these as I've been riding the 25mm 120tpi (black) version all winter and am very happy with them. they wore kinda quick though. I'm interested in the 60tpi gumwall version in 25mm, but I've read reports that they end up measuring closer to 23mm, even on wider rims. that's not the case with the 120tpi 25mm's I've been using though. what's your experience been?

ptourkin
03-15-2016, 07:31 AM
The new vittoria corsas, the G+ with graphene come in gumwall, and ride really nicely. if they live up to their claims of puncture resistance, they'll prove to be a great all around tire. i've got a set rolling now and really like them. comfortable, fast tire.

I'm a few hundred miles in to my first set and really like them. As you said, comfy and fast with nice grip. Waiting to see how long they last but if the tread is a gauge, they're doing well.

thirdgenbird
03-15-2016, 07:51 AM
I'm interested in these as I've been riding the 25mm 120tpi (black) version all winter and am very happy with them. they wore kinda quick though. I'm interested in the 60tpi gumwall version in 25mm, but I've read reports that they end up measuring closer to 23mm, even on wider rims. that's not the case with the 120tpi 25mm's I've been using though. what's your experience been?

I've got 25s and 28s and both measure true to size, give or take a little. I've hot them on open pros and campy wheels so 19ish and 21mm external rims. Several people have commented that they actually look bigger than their stated size.

They don't seem to be wearing overly quick, but i am coming off a veloflex binge/hoard so my calibration may be off. I haven't really tracked milage either. Both pair have floated between bikes/wheels.

chiasticon
03-15-2016, 08:05 AM
I've got 25s and 28s and both measure true to size, give or take a little. I've hot them on open pros and campy wheels so 19ish and 21mm external rims. Several people have commented that they actually look bigger than their stated size.

They don't seem to be wearing overly quick, but i am coming off a veloflex binge/hoard so my calibration may be off. I haven't really tracked milage either. Both pair have floated between bikes/wheels.interesting, thanks for the follow-up. I may give 'em a shot. I have about 1500 miles into the 120tpi ones and the rear is squaring off a good bit (haven't swapped 'em, prolly too late now). there's about another ~15 hours of roller time into those as well. seems like pretty quick wear to me :(

thwart
03-15-2016, 09:03 AM
I really like the veloflex master. Seems to hold up a little better than Vittoria corsas against road debris although the 25 measures a bit smaller in my experience

+1.

Feel like 28's (in all the right ways), measure like 24's.

everbeek
03-15-2016, 10:23 AM
FYI - I have used exactly the same tires on exactly the same rims at 90 psi. The Veloflex still measure (calipers) a little under 25 mm and the Vittorias measure 26.5 mm. I have always preferred Veloflex but the Vittorias are nice.
-Mike
I am looking to purchase a set of gumwall clinchers for one of my road bikes.
These will be an everyday tire so i'm looking for something that has some puncture protection.
The ones I looked at so far are the veloflex master and the vittoria open corsa SCII both in 25mm.
Any others that will fit the bill as an everyday tire? They will be on a set of HED C2 23mm rims.

KWalker
03-15-2016, 10:34 AM
The graphene tires are slower than the old Corse Evos.

My vote is Speci Turbo cottons. They last the same as Corse Evos, slightly longer, better puncture belt, and they're faster. I feel they corner even better as well.

jtbadge
03-15-2016, 10:59 AM
I have the Challenge Strada Bianca 30c tires on my sport tourer. Very supple. Incredible ride on rough roads. I would have no hesitation trying a narrower version on a road bike.

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/2015-all-city-space-horse-22932_15.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
03-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Heine seems to say (https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/tpi-and-tire-performance/)TPI isn't of much value and doesn't correlate with ride quality.

I've been pleased with clement strada tires so far. The 25 and 28 are available in tan and I find they ride better than their thread count would lead you to believe.

thirdgenbird
03-15-2016, 11:39 AM
I will have to read that, but it doesn't surprise me. I got caught up in it a while because my experiance was that high tpi tires rode better. I'm now guessing that was just because of the tires I happened to try.

ColonelJLloyd
03-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Same thing here.

sandyrs
03-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Heine seems to say (https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/tpi-and-tire-performance/)TPI isn't of much value and doesn't correlate with ride quality.

That may be, but given that the Clement tires come in an expensive 120tpi version and an inexpensive 60tpi version, I think it is safe to assume that the 60tpi version does not have a lower thread count because of more widely-spaced fine fibers. Rather, they are cheaper because they use thicker fibers, which result in a stiffer sidewall. Jan Heine is often guilty of making generalizations about the industry as a whole that are misleading when applied to many non-Compass products. Sure, his tires are 90tpi and have very flexible casings, but most of the industry that uses synthetic casings uses the system that Clement is using here. Similarly, Vittoria 320tpi tires do not have triple-layered casings. They have casings made of cotton or polycotton, which has very thin fibers that can be woven to 320tpi in a single layer. Continental, on the other hand, uses three 110tpi synthetic layers to arrive at their 330tpi claims for their road clinchers. My point is that saying "TPI doesn't correlate to ride quality" is too coarse a view of the situation and ignores valuable information that one can glean from looking at both TPI and casing material.

This coming from someone who's ridden and enjoyed the 60tpi tires, mind you.

weightshift
03-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Another vote for Clement LGG Stradas. I ran Corsas for a while and loved them (on a 19mm wide rim), but man they wore fast.

I've been running the Clements on a whim, in the 60tpi version, on a 23mm HED rim, and can tell only a little bit of difference. Personally, on a rough streets, and that we like to take our road bikes on fire roads and trails often, having a "beefier", less supple tire lets it take a beating. I've been running them for 4 months now through the winter, whereas I'd get about 2 months from Corsas, in summer!

YMMV. ;)

KWalker
03-15-2016, 06:09 PM
If you loved Corsas and they wore too fast, try the Turbo Cottons.

Clements are garbage.

bcroslin
03-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Vittoria Corsa Graphene. They are really nice tires.

I'm riding a set of these in gum walls and they're awesome.

F150
03-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Michelin Dynamic Classic. Hard to find, but durable and very inexpensive. They have a decent feel as well...They aren't up to the standard of nice tubulars, but -hey- they aren't nice tubulars....

Hope they ride well, just ordered a pair for my pastor's Follis. Dirt cheap from Western Bike Works.

mistermo
03-15-2016, 09:22 PM
If you loved Corsas and they wore too fast, try the Turbo Cottons.

Are Turbo Cottons gum walls?

KWalker
03-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Yes, do you even Google?