PDA

View Full Version : Masi Nuova Strada came my way...

Gummee
03-14-2016, 07:24 PM
...with a bent seatstay. Owner fell, fell down an embankment and landed on the bike on a rock. Broke his back. Eeek!

Everything but that DS seatstay and the brake bridge looks straight.

PO was quoted $1k to fix it. Looks like a new chainstay and some paint... Sounds high to me, but what do I know?! Haven't had to have a steel bike fixed since Toby at Hot Tubes did my Concorde in the early 90s.

I've got a pic on my phone, but haven't uploaded it yet

SLX-SP tubes, red/white color (looks like over chrome), chrome fork. C-Record cranks (scratched), and a unk Campy headset

Thoughts?

M

giverdada
03-14-2016, 07:39 PM
five years ago serotta quoted me $800 USD to replace the seattube on my ti. that was crazy high for me and my road ended up taking me to matt chester and all was well. i would imagine for steel, and less if it's lugged, a grand is quite a lot for such a repair. of course, i know nothing about anything, least of which is vintage lugged steel, so maybe that's the going rate. it just seems high. good luck with it all though.

n.

eBAUMANN
03-14-2016, 07:44 PM
it really depends how you want to refinish the frame, as that will likely end up being the most expensive part of the ordeal.

a quality respray with period correct decals aint cheap.

pbarry
03-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Call Tom at Spectrum Cycles. He has reasonable rates for steel repairs and pĂ ints in house.

Chris
03-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Frame isn't worth that. I had one in 92-93. Nice frame, but...

oldpotatoe
03-15-2016, 07:35 AM
...with a bent seatstay. Owner fell, fell down an embankment and landed on the bike on a rock. Broke his back. Eeek!

Everything but that DS seatstay and the brake bridge looks straight.

PO was quoted $1k to fix it. Looks like a new chainstay and some paint... Sounds high to me, but what do I know?! Haven't had to have a steel bike fixed since Toby at Hot Tubes did my Concorde in the early 90s.

I've got a pic on my phone, but haven't uploaded it yet

SLX-SP tubes, red/white color (looks like over chrome), chrome fork. C-Record cranks (scratched), and a unk Campy headset

Thoughts?

M

Contact Mark Nobilette..I'm betting he can change the seat stay for a lot less than $1000. I'd say in the $200-$400 or so range plus a good painter can just paint that part(Spectrum in Colorado Springs, for example).

smontanaro
03-15-2016, 08:12 AM
Or Franklin Frames in Newark, OH. Bob Freeman does some stunning restorations (formerly owned Elliott Bay Cycles in Seattle). I was somewhat surprised recently when he said he sent his latest restoration, a '63 Galmozzi (https://www.flickr.com/photos/8379107@N03/sets/72157664936747019/with/25530128791/), out to Franklin for paint. Last summer he said that since closing his shop he was sending frames to Keith Anderson in Grants Pass, OR for paint. I'm not sure you could get a much better recommendation than from Bob.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1683/25503579772_2dfd42bd2d_b.jpg

tv_vt
03-15-2016, 08:14 AM
Frame isn't worth that. I had one in 92-93. Nice frame, but...

Chris may be right. Had one in the early 90's - got it from Colorado Cyclist, I think. Reynolds 653 tubing. Seemed to be the cheaper cousin of the really good Masi frames, like the Gran Criterium and the 3v.