PDA

View Full Version : Help: suggest a crankset for me

dvancleve
03-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Howdy folks.

I am looking for this crank, should it actually exist: black with 170mm arms, single ring (ideally 38T thick-thin), 73mm BB, not too expensive. It is for a monster(ish)-cross that was originally to be SS/fixie but will have a rear derailleur hanger after all. It was originally supposed to be a fixed 38-15/18 flip-flop for a road gear and an off-road gear, but I might want to do something a bit different now (maybe a dingle cog with a freewheel). Ideally, the crank/chainring would be good in both fixie/SS and geared modes.

Thanks, Doug

Cicli
03-14-2016, 06:18 PM
White Industries?

jtakeda
03-14-2016, 06:37 PM
I'd say white industries or paul

dustyrider
03-14-2016, 08:58 PM
Canfield Brothers AM/DH crankset. I don't have one, but they're into short crank arms. Longest they have is 170.

cadence90
03-14-2016, 10:17 PM
Good suggestions so far.

You might also check for Middleburn, something like the RS7 or RS8 Mono or RS8 Uno. I always liked Middleburn stuff.

All black; 170mm; 38T; etc., is not an issue.

Not exactly inexpensive, though. You might find deals on eBay (usually from the UK).

http://www.middleburn.co.uk/products/cranks/external-cranks

dvancleve
03-16-2016, 04:18 PM
I wasn't very specific, I know. Most of your suggestions are interesting, mostly more obscure and expensive than I was thinking. Paul and White are both square taper, I think I'm done with that on anything that isn't vintage. My conclusion was that SRAM Rival 1 with the GXP BB checked off all the boxes for a reasonable price. The shop I'm ordering from suggested the RaceFace Aeffect which is MUCH cheaper and also checks off all the boxes, so I'm going to try that.

Thanks, Doug

p nut
03-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Even though you've already bought one, I was going to suggest SRAM XX1 cranks. I've been very impressed with them, paired with MRP Blingring. Great set up on my mountain bike.

My "monster cross" has some old M900 XTR cranks on there. I like them as well, but they are square taper.

dvancleve
03-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Even though you've already bought one, I was going to suggest SRAM XX1 cranks. I've been very impressed with them, paired with MRP Blingring. Great set up on my mountain bike.

My "monster cross" has some old M900 XTR cranks on there. I like them as well, but they are square taper.

Well I haven't paid for anything, but they seem like the way to go. The only "fancy" thing on the bike will be a CK Devolution headset, so cheap but not too low end is good.

Thanks Doug