PDA

View Full Version : One of those days....

Ryun
03-14-2016, 05:48 PM
After a rough day at work, I was looking forward to the first DST group ride.
Two blocks in and I gashed a tubular. I havent had a flat in almost 2 years and I finally found the size cut Orange seal couldnt handle.
Why is it when you do cut a tire its always the brand new ones not the ones showing cords?

On the brighter side of things, it was the first time trying out the seasucker rack. The way things went today, I was half expecting the vanilla to go flying off. It so far has worked as advertised. Of course it was only in the 80s today, we will see how it handles full on florida summer

I feel like charlie brown today...

AngryScientist
03-14-2016, 06:00 PM
ouch. piece of glass? rock? any idea of the culprit?

were you carrying a spare tubie, or just betting on the goop?

either way, of course as you know - in the grand scheme of things, this isnt a biggie.

Ugh, I had a rough day also. Nothing in particular, just the Monday DST kicks in, dragging ass the whole day. Just cant seem to get out of 3rd gear...

Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day!

false_Aest
03-14-2016, 06:00 PM
*comf*

Ryun
03-14-2016, 06:12 PM
Brown bottle glass not called out and kind of lost in the shadows.
Funny thing was the last few rides I'd given up on carrying a spare.
I just rode the sidewalk back to the shop.
Oh definitely not the worst that could have happened
My therapy is cleaning all the orange seal off the bike and stretching the new tire while knocking back a lil zacapa rum.

rwsaunders
03-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Veloflex Roubaix?

Tickdoc
03-14-2016, 07:14 PM
Damn that tire looked new, too.

Ryun
03-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Yup a brand new veloflex criterium...

CSKeller
03-14-2016, 07:54 PM
Sorry Ryun! That sux!

Glad it wasn't worse...and so glad you didn't go down!

I find rum makes many things better!! :beer:

Hope for a better ride next next time.

pbarry
03-14-2016, 08:01 PM
Sorry this happened. :(

Wonder if there's any legs in a bike tire insurance program? It's about 1:7 rate for car tires. Would you pay 1:3 or 1:4 for a tubie, for catastrophic failure, whatever the cause, in the first 500 miles? Original receipt and documentation of failure required. I would.

cachagua
03-14-2016, 10:31 PM
In my sew-up days I bought tires at *least* five at a time, so I'd never be too upset if I slashed one to death like that.

Even so, whenever I slashed one to death like that, it upset me. That's a MEAN cut! Hard not to take that personally, you know?

ultraman6970
03-14-2016, 10:57 PM
Wow, that thing cant even be fixed, that sucks :(

oliver1850
03-15-2016, 02:01 AM
At least it only ruined one ride. Last summer I punctured a little used Vittoria tubular on the gravel bike. I got it home (someone gave me a lift) and pumped it full of slime. Figured I could get a few more miles out of it at least despite it being a bigger than average hole. Few being the operative word - it blew up going down a hill 9 miles into the next day's ride. That stuff is messy. I was carrying a spare but spent the next 60 miles worrying about another flat. This sort of thing is why I generally buy cheap tires. Going 2 years without a flat is unheard of, if I'm riding regularly it's more like 2 per month.

oldpotatoe
03-15-2016, 04:54 AM
Brown bottle glass not called out and kind of lost in the shadows.
Funny thing was the last few rides I'd given up on carrying a spare.
I just rode the sidewalk back to the shop.
Oh definitely not the worst that could have happened
My therapy is cleaning all the orange seal off the bike and stretching the new tire while knocking back a lil zacapa rum.

??Don't even know it's there.